Bob McGinn: Scouts Take

redlichtie

Great post, thanks for sharing. Three things stand out to me......1) about TL.....when he played the elite competition, he was never the best player on the field. Damning.   2) Pennel sounds way over rated, especially for a LT.  3) Pitts....almost saying pass on him and you'll never forgive yourself.

• Sympathy 2

10 hours ago, section314 said:

Great post, thanks for sharing. Three things stand out to me......1) about TL.....when he played the elite competition, he was never the best player on the field. Damning.   2) Pennel sounds way over rated, especially for a LT.  3) Pitts....almost saying pass on him and you'll never forgive yourself.

Yep all 3 stood out to me too....that and first scout saying he’d take Wilson No1 overall. Right now I want no part of Sewell and if it’s not going to be QB at 2 and we can’t trade down then I’d just take Pitts

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Exactly - I’ve been reading his draft articles for many years.  There always seems to be at least one very negative opinion about all of them.

I often wonder if that one negative dude is the same guy, just one angry miserable old school grump who hates everything....including the world!!

it’s very interesting to go back and look at how those opinions stack up after 2 -3 years

• Upvote 4

When Fidelio sees they listed Zach Wilson at 6'2" and one scout said he's 6'1" he's going to have a stroke.

But it is interesting to see that scouts are very split on him (and some of the others).  This board tends to get extreme on some of these guys (like Sewell as well).  The only guy that seems to have unanimous scout-love is Pitts although Harris was almost right with him.

Just a mental whimsy here, but imagine trading down a bit, putting Pitts and Harris on the offense with Sam.  How does that compare to our current offense with Fields or Wilson?  Many will jump to an immediate conclusion but they shouldn't.  It would be a fascinating experiment and answer a lot of questions.

• Upvote 4

Man would I love for the Jets to find a way to land Rashawn Slater in this Draft!

Assuming the Jets take Wilson at #2, find a team in the Top 12 or so (maybe a bit higher) who would take Darnold, the #23, and maybe another later pick (ex. #146) for the Jets to come up and get Slater.  Maybe Denver at 9, Carolina at 8?

Slater starts Day 1 at RG between McGovern and Fant.  By next year he's the starting RT.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2021 at 5:39 PM, C Mart said:

What always stands out with McGinn’s takes are the various opinions of the scouts. Some are night and day apart. 

Gil Brandt said that people in the NFL have Fields anywhere from Top 10 to fourth round. Some people love Wilson some hate him.

Interesting thing with Lawrence is that I think he is dropping in rating after scrutiny by a lot of people, but he is so entrenched as the "guy" that people are not willing to move off him. 

I have been all in on Wilson but was gently reminded today I hated Deshaun Watson. I did, I thought he was going to be completely awful in the NFL. I have spent a lot of time, much more than I ever have in analyzing the QBs and not two people see the same thing. Maybe that is why even first rounders are 50/50. 

I saw Brady at the combine and doing drills and he absolutely looked like a 6th rounder in every way.  If you go back and look at the 2018 draft thread a LOT of people completely loved Rosen. 

Not an exact science. Really interesting to see that scouts are divided as we are.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Gil Brandt said that people in the NFL have Fields anywhere from Top 10 to fourth round. Some people love Wilson some hate him.

Interesting thing with Lawrence is that I think he is dropping in rating after scrutiny by a lot of people, but he is so entrenched as the "guy" that people are not willing to move off him. 

I have been all in on Wilson but was gently reminded today I hated Deshaun Watson. I did, I thought he was going to be completely awful in the NFL. I have spent a lot of time, much more than I ever have in analyzing the QBs and not two people see the same thing. Maybe that is why even first rounders are 50/50. 

I saw Brady at the combine and doing drills and he absolutely looked like a 6th rounder in every way.  If you go back and look at the 2018 draft thread a LOT of people completely loved Rosen. 

Not an exact science. Really interesting to see that scouts are divided as we are.

Guilty as charged.? I actually was shocked and disappointed that draft night when we didn't take him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 1:12 PM, section314 said:

Guilty as charged.? I actually was shocked and disappointed that draft night when we didn't take him.

Same, I really did not want Darnold at all, saw all of the things we have subsequently understood to be his failings but really thought Rosen would be one of the successful guys from that class..it just goes to show how this process is so hard to gauge....the only thing that can be said with certainty is that nobody knows who will succeed and who will fail. 

Worth keeping an eye on the Athletic in the next few days as McGinn will probably begin his individual position group draft preview, again very much based on those scouts takes. if I can I will post some highlights or players of most interest to the Jets.

Dane Brugler has also posted up his draft preview which is pretty interesting 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Same, I really did not want Darnold at all, saw all of the things we have subsequently understood to be his failings but really thought Rosen would be one of the successful guys from that class..it just goes to show how this process is so hard to gauge....the only thing that can be said with certainty is that nobody knows who will succeed and who will fail. 

Worth keeping an eye on the Athletic in the next few days as McGinn will probably begin his individual position group draft preview, again very much based on those scouts takes. if I can I will post some highlights or players of most interest to the Jets.

Dane Brugler has also posted up his draft preview which is pretty interesting 

I liked Rosen, I did not like Darnold all that much.

I figured guys that turn it over in college will turn it over in the NFL.   I also figured guys who aren't accurate in college aren't accurate in the NFL.   Josh Allen has made me rethink that one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

I liked Rosen, I did not like Darnold all that much.

I figured guys that turn it over in college will turn it over in the NFL.   I also figured guys who aren't accurate in college aren't accurate in the NFL.   Josh Allen has made me rethink that one.

Yep agree, I actually love that Josh Allen has been so successful for that reason, because guys like him force us all to constantly question and reevaluate everything we think we know and to never be complacent.....and to never ever assume that  only those who follow a pattern or conform to a stereotype can ever be successful in the league....that’s a good thing IMO