So far for Douglas

AL047

One has to remember that the cap money isn't static: if JD signs player X at position Y for $Z, another player or players will be pared off the roster to claw back some of that money. He still has a bunch of guys under contract who could be cut or traded for a low pick (one hopes) - so the salaries of any newcomers will only eat up a fraction of the cap space, as there will be corresponding cuts later in the spring to offset their total cost. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

I agree.  Problem is I read an article yesterday that said the Jets actually have only $9M left to spend on FA's.   They have a total of $24M, but $15M must go to the draft.  Most GM's want to go into the season with a stash of money to deal with emergencies.  

We'll see

I wouldn't worry too much about that yet.  We have moves we can make if we need to add cap space.  Lewis, Griffin and Mcdermott could be cut to save abouot $8M.  If we agree to a lonog-term deal with Maye we can reduce his cap hit first year and push some of it to later years when cap goes up.  We still have plenty of flexibility to free up cap space to add talent.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, slats said:

That would be a rush to judgement on the draft class, too, no? I'm looking forward to seeing guys like Ashtyn Davis, Perine, and Clark having expanded roles this season and looking competent filling them. I think that should help the anxiety levels drop a bit. Zuniga compiling a stat would also be nice. But Becton, Mims, Hall and Mann certainly wasn't an awful first effort. 

Mann was awful. Remember his 14 yard punt. He’s on the bottom half statistically of punters according to PFF. 

You gloss over literally only 2 picks seem ok? I say that because neither can stay healthy so far. That’s a bad draft. 

I've been and remain a Douglas guy. Building roster from the back end upward to the front end and being value oriented and opportunity cost sensitive is okay, It's being a tortoise instead of a hare (and it worked out okay for the tortoise).

Edited by Alworth
changed content of post to better fit this thread

On 3/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, flgreen said:

I agree.  Problem is I read an article yesterday that said the Jets actually have only $9M left to spend on FA's.   They have a total of $24M, but $15M must go to the draft.  Most GM's want to go into the season with a stash of money to deal with emergencies.  

We'll see

i think that cap number doesn't include some potential cuts like griffen or lewis or even gvr.  they'll pump it up another 8 or so million.  obviously it's not enough to sign a guy like clowney but there are still some restructures and other tricks to free space if needed.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think that cap number doesn't include some potential cuts like griffen or lewis or even gvr.  they'll pump it up another 8 or so million.  obviously it's not enough to sign a guy like clowney but there are still some restructures and other tricks to free space if needed.

There's always ways to create cap space if your willing to strip the roster, and mortage the future.  Right now that's close to what the Jets have. 

If someone becomes avalible that Joe see's as a major impact player, I'm sure they will make cap moves. 

Watching JD’s moves in FA since he’s been here, seems his philosophy is conservative with the monies, trying to avoid Mac type deals like the plague. (Long term contracts with big money) We haven’t seen him pull the trigger on a big name, big contract yet. Perform and I’ll show you the money philosophy. Probably a good thing. Jets been burnt on those big money signings with Revis, Mo, Bell and so far Mosely.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

There's always ways to create cap space if your willing to strip the roster, and mortage the future.  Right now that's close to what the Jets have. 

If someone becomes avalible that Joe see's as a major impact player, I'm sure they will make cap moves. 

yep.  and the jets are in no position to mortgage the future.  getting a guy like thuney would've been a big help.  it didn't happen so they need to fill in where they can and hopefully saleh is the coach to mold the team.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, Matt39 said:

I think the overall concern with Douglas stems from the poor return on last years draft. The Jets are bereft of talent and most of those picks couldnt get on the field consistently. 

I expect Saleh-CS to adjust to the strengths of JD's 2020 draft class, and get a lot more out of them then Gase and his coaches did.  IMO A more accurate assessment of last year's draft will be available after the 2021-22 season is over. 

Gase as HC NYJ is right up there in infamy with clueless Kotite.