The next 40 days are going to suck

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Adam Gase was the worst coach I have ever seen in any professional sport.  And the Hobbit was laughable.

You took math in elementary school, yes?  Learned about the significance of the 'common denominator', right?

Since Gase and Loggains coached both the 7-9 Jets and the 2-14 Jets, you can remove them from the equation.  Coaching wasn't variable.  Coaching was consistent. 

The variable is that the 7-9 Jets were constructed by Mike Maccagnan and the 2-14 Jets were constructed by Joe Douglas.  We didn't switch coaches.  We switched GM's.  Douglas gutted the roster, collected draft picks and cap dollars, and had a weak 2020.  By what we've seen so far, he's about to have a weak 2021 unless he kills it in the draft.  He didn't last year.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The draft is one of my favorite sporting events. I like to get prepared and have my own list of players and what I want the Jets to do...

but the incessant over analysis, rumour mongering and hearing the same arguments every day gets REALLY old.

But once it's over hopefully we actually have an off season and practices and all that and getting hyped for the new season is fun.

The last 40 years of Jets fandom has prepared us for the suck 

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You took math in elementary school, yes?  Learned about the significance of the 'common denominator', right?

Since Gase and Loggains coached both the 7-9 Jets and the 2-14 Jets, you can remove them from the equation.  Coaching wasn't variable.  Coaching was consistent. 

The variable is that the 7-9 Jets were constructed by Mike Maccagnan and the 2-14 Jets were constructed by Joe Douglas.  We didn't switch coaches.  We switched GM's.  Douglas gutted the roster, collected draft picks and cap dollars, and had a weak 2020.  By what we've seen so far, he's about to have a weak 2021 unless he kills it in the draft.  He didn't last year.

SAR I

This makes zero sense. Actually less than zero.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This makes zero sense. Actually less than zero.

It makes perfect sense.

The knock on Adam Gase is that he sucked, he's always sucked, and he's the same suck coach he's been since Miami.  And I agree with it all.  Bad coach.  Stuck in his ways.  Stubborn.

Well, that type of consistency, whether a great head coach or a bad one, means that nothing changed in the weekly prep or on gamedays.  Same ol' Gase.  Gonna do it his way.

And that also means that with Gase and his staff as the common denominator, it makes one Joe Douglas the variable.  I mean, how could one argue otherwise?  Douglas took a 7-9 team, gutted it of playmakers, replaced them with thrift store free agents and pedestrian draft picks, and went 2-14.

And before you go down the road of "but but but tougher schedule" and "but but but they quit on Gase" let me remind you that the Jets beat 2 playoff teams down the stretch, both playing for playoff positioning, both winners of playoff games.

SAR I

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It makes perfect sense.

The knock on Adam Gase is that he sucked, he's always sucked, and he's the same suck coach he's been since Miami.  And I agree with it all.  Bad coach.  Stuck in his ways.  Stubborn.

Well, that type of consistency, whether a great head coach or a bad one, means that nothing changed in the weekly prep or on gamedays.  Same ol' Gase.  Gonna do it his way.

And that also means that with Gase and his staff as the common denominator, it makes one Joe Douglas the variable.  I mean, how could one argue otherwise?  Douglas took a 7-9 team, gutted it of playmakers, replaced them with thrift store free agents and pedestrian draft picks, and went 2-14.

And before you go down the road of "but but but tougher schedule" and "but but but they quit on Gase" let me remind you that the Jets beat 2 playoff teams down the stretch, both playing for playoff positioning, both winners of playoff games.

SAR I

Your new shtick sucks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is correct.

We’ve added a #2 WR (to the worst offense in the league) and that’s it on offense.

And a quality edge rusher on defense.

Otherwise we just swapped a few Jags for Jags...

I would have expected more by now considering, as you put it, he gutted the roster last year. 
Now, it’s still early and a lot can happen between now and the final roster. But i’d be lying if I said I didn’t have concerns.   As currently constructed, this is a 5 win roster.  Adding a few more jags won’t change that.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

We’ve added a #2 WR (to the worst offense in the league) and that’s it on offense.

And a quality edge rusher on defense.

Otherwise we just swapped a few Jags for Jags...

I would have expected more by now considering, as you put it, he gutted the roster last year. 
Now, it’s still early and a lot can happen between now and the final roster. But i’d be lying if I said I didn’t have concerns.   As currently constructed, this is a 5 win roster.  Adding a few more jags won’t change that.  

This.

Making matters worse, Douglas was given a mulligan and the luxury of an entire 2019 season where he was responsible for nothing, held a clipboard, studied the roster, and planned his mastermind moves for 2020.....and half the roster turned out to be jags on 1 year contracts and 2021 looks to be the same.

When I bought-in to the Christopher Johnson announced rebuild in 2017 I was told by "experts" in this forum that a modern rebuild shouldn't take more than 2 years, 3 max. 

"Suck For Sam" was 5 years ago.

SAR I

3 hours ago, slats said:

Your new shtick sucks. 

Good lord, I wish this was shtick.  Because then it wouldn't be so bad for the team.

Joe Douglas has apparently gotten the green light to trade or release all our playmakers, replace them with third-tier players from the free agency leftover pool, roll the dice on 8 teenage draft picks, and then stuff the rest of the roster with 16 undrafted jags.  Again. 

And the fans, oh, the fans aren't allowed to criticize Dollar Store Douglas, not exactly sure why.  He just took a Mike Maccagnan team that was 7-9 and turned it into a 2-14 farce.  They scream and fly planes for Adam Gase after 4 games and are going to give this timid GM 4 years, it's unbelievable. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Good lord, I wish this was shtick.  Because then it wouldn't be so bad for the team.

Joe Douglas has apparently gotten the green light to trade or release all our playmakers, replace them with third-tier players from the free agency leftover pool, roll the dice on 8 teenage draft picks, and then stuff the rest of the roster with 16 undrafted jags.  Again. 

And the fans, oh, the fans aren't allowed to criticize Dollar Store Douglas, not exactly sure why.  He just took a Mike Maccagnan team that was 7-9 and turned it into a 2-14 farce.  They scream and fly planes for Adam Gase after 4 games and are going to give this timid GM 4 years, it's unbelievable. 

SAR I

It sure does seem like we are headed towards him throwing out a 4-6 win team in 2021 and us being told we should applaud him for it.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It sure does seem like we are headed towards him throwing out a 4-6 win team in 2021 and us being told we should applaud him for it.

It's probably a safe bet to pencil the Jets in for last once again in the AFCe, but I'm not expecting any applause. 

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The teams that try to do it this way, the ones that don't make quality free agent signings and have mediocre drafts, they turn out to be the 1998-2018 Cleveland Browns.  

And how did Cleveland get to the playoffs, finally?  By spending like drunken sailors in free agency.  I don't need to tell Jets fans how 2015 happened because of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Chris Ivory.  I surely don't need to rattle off the names of the half of the 2009 and 2010 rosters that weren't homegrown.  Free agency matters.  A whole lot more than the draft does.

SAR I

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The teams that try to do it this way, the ones that don't make quality free agent signings and have mediocre drafts, they turn out to be the 1998-2018 Cleveland Browns.  

And how did Cleveland get to the playoffs, finally?  By spending like drunken sailors in free agency.  I don't need to tell Jets fans how 2015 happened because of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Chris Ivory.  I surely don't need to rattle off the names of the half of the 2009 and 2010 rosters that weren't homegrown.  Free agency matters.  A whole lot more than the draft does.

SAR I

And the thing to keep in mind with not giving out some of the insane contracts that went out this year is this: The Jets don't have many players they are going to need to pay right now. Maye is literally the only one in the immediate future. The other decent guys on the roster like Becton and Q are on rookie deals for the foreseeable future. Yeah sure, when you've got important players to extend, maxing out your cap can be hurtful and the whole point of 3rd through 5th round picks is that you hit on a few guys that are starting quality caliber players on the cheap for a few years, but the Jets don't have any of that going on. Isn't it worth overpaying at corner or RT on a guy for a year or two? What the hell else are they spending it on? George Fant? Come on.

• Post of the Week 1

SAR I
You may be right .. but the coaching moves were absolutely atrocious..

Had competent coaching taken place we would have seen James Morgan after week 8.

Had competitive coaching taken place we would not have seen the most highly touted QB in the draft regress yearly.

Had competitive coaching taken place ... we would not have trotted Frank Gore , which I love, after week 8.

Gase was a dirty bad joke in a church.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

It makes perfect sense.

SAR I

You were wrong on him being a great coach and you are wrong now.

Things get worse the more he's in one spot that's on him. It has to do with his players always getting hurt and it has to do with his inability to develop a young quarterback.

• Upvote 1