Nick Spano of Ustadium: The Jets will all but lock Zack in at pick #2 if his physical checks out

Jetsbb

35 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

He's not getting traded until Zach's pro day. Simple as that - they haven't wavered in saying that. Once they are sure about Wilson they will unload Sam to the highest bidder, unless there aren't any bids. Then they have to wait until a need opens up. 

I get that but that should have just been a smokescreen. They should have said that this whole time but still traded him anyways while there was at least some demand from desperate and idiotic teams. There’s no benefit to keeping him until the pro day at the expense of losing potential landing spots that were already scarce. 

7 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

My guess is  he will be traded  draft day to which ever team that needs a QB but didn’t get one in FA and was picking too late in the draft to get one they like.

I just don’t like narrowing down options that much when trading him at the ideal time wouldn’t have put us in a worse spot. We were trash with him so it would have been no loss. Losing out on trade compensation, is a huge loss. 

48 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think it's not going to happen till draft day and they will take what they can get.

Agreed and I’m fine with that.  I don’t care that much about maximizing Sam Darnold a trade value. I care about getting it right. Methodical. Make sure nothing changes in the lead up to the draft. Do due diligence/ the teams are interested in Sam will still be interested draft day. 

But even if it cost a round of value- not the end of the world. This is THe biggest decision  in Douglas and Salah’s careers. No rush. Get it right.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Say what you want about uStadium, but what they're saying jives with what we've heard recently from guys like Peter King, Chris Mortensen, Mike Silver, Albert Breer and our very own @Mogglez.

Yeah, usually I’m all for laughing at the 123 follower accounts this time of year that try to gain popularity by tweetin a bunch of weird sh*t, but uStadium has been around since before the Bowles era.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Say what you want about uStadium, but what they're saying jives with what we've heard recently from guys like Peter King, Chris Mortensen, Mike Silver, Albert Breer and our very own @Mogglez.

Yea they were pretty adamant that the Jets were not interested in Juju at all and even when the “reports” started coming in that the Jets were talking to Juju...ustadium said they heard Jets were still not interested at all.

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just don’t like narrowing down options that much when trading him at the ideal time wouldn’t have put us in a worse spot. We were trash with him so it would have been no loss. Losing out on trade compensation, is a huge loss. 

I agree but maybe the market just wasn’t there

Forget the first round  rumors which was insane but   when  people were saying we’d at least get a second for him I thought that was ambitious .

There’s 3 years of tape on him.. Is it possible in a perfect situation he can be a decent starter? I think it’s possible but what’s his upside? Maybe top 20 Qb? 

Youree not getting a high pick for that.

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit worried that they are enamored with him. Every bust the Jets take it's some guy they were enamored with. Just once I'd like to see them take someone begrudgingly. 

Like Gholston.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I like these “leaks.” Get that number 2 pick as valuable as possible before we trade it. Could be looking at a massive return.

12AF2B3B-3AA8-4487-8F80-605FB74ECAFE.thumb.jpeg.4cca246956f37d9eafcb72c1362f94a5.jpeg

I will happily accept this as the floor of a trade for Wilson. 

1st (swap)  and 2nd this year 

1st in 2022

1st in 2023

and since that was 9 years ago.... let’s add a little more to our benefit

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Forget the first round  rumors which was insane but   when  people were saying we’d at least get a second for him I thought that was ambitious .

There’s 3 years of tape on him.. Is it possible in a perfect situation he can be a decent starter? I think it’s possible but what’s his upside? Maybe top 20 Qb? 

Youree not getting a high pick for that.

I agree that his value should be sh*t, just like him and maybe the rumors were just that. Who knows. Even his sh*t value would have been higher when there were more teams interested. 

56 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree that his value should be sh*t, just like him and maybe the rumors were just that. Who knows. Even his sh*t value would have been higher when there were more teams interested. 

I hear you.. I think the problem is you had a lot of Qb’s available this offseason and two franchise Qb’s rumored to be available with Wilson and Watson and then you add in 4 or 5 Qbs in the draft  who will get drafted high and so  Darnold was not a top  priority for any of these teams  which is why i think he’ll end up in whatever team strikes out on all the Qb’s available in FA and the draft 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

They’re saying that they’ll probably draft the #2 prospect at #2 unless they don’t. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit worried that they are enamored with him. Every bust the Jets take it's some guy they were enamored with. Just once I'd like to see them take someone begrudgingly. 

I feel like the only way we’re drafting a good player is if our card gets mixed vu with another teams.

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Brees and Rivers worked out just fine. And I’m not comparing players ( before anyone tries it), simply pointing out it does not have to be a detriment 

I don't recall anyone offering a day 2 pick for Brees after his 3rd season, after getting so badly upstaged by 41 year-old Doug Flutie, and the Chargers turning it down.

If no one's offering more than a conditional late round pick for Darnold, then sure, keep him for his final contract year. He's not tremendously expensive even as a backup and most backups don't have his theoretical ceiling (however unlikely he is to realize it).

It's not that keeping him is a "detriment" to the team so much as a waste of a high pick resource: one final year of Darnold isn't worth forgoing a 2nd round pick that could be used to surround Wilson/Fields/etc. 

If you were the GM of a Jets team with all these holes & needed/desired upgrades on the team, had two 2nd round picks this year (and say Morgan was the only QB on the roster), would you then trade one of your 2nd rounders for 4th year Darnold with 1 rookie-contract year remaining, right after drafting a QB at #2 overall? Yeah me neither.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

It’s pretty easy to fall in love with this kid when you see his skill set 

Just wish he showed that skill set against top level college competition and not junior high school level talent. The one team they played against that was decent (and that's a long reach) in the *one* year he looked he good his team lost. Not to mention his injury history.

A QB taken with the #2 OA pick should have played against top level competition and excelled.

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Just wish he showed that skill set against top level college competition and not junior high school level talent. The one team they played against that was decent (and that's a long reach) in the *one* year he looked he good his team lost. Not to mention his injury history.

A QB taken with the #2 OA pick should have played against top level competition and excelled.

You’re drafting the player not his teammates or opponents. There’s a long list of good NFL QBs who went  to small schools.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yea they were pretty adamant that the Jets were not interested in Juju at all and even when the “reports” started coming in that the Jets were talking to Juju...ustadium said they heard Jets were still not interested at all.

Yeah, that's an easy guess. I'd say just about everybody knew that Juju was never going to sign here and was just *trying* to use the Jets to drive up his price. With JD I think those days are long gone.

The jets are not trading sam Darnold and plan on starting him next season.

Although they like Zack wilson the jets have decided to stick with the former number 3 overall pick and surround him with an offence and coaching he deserves.

The Jets have been wise in their free agent signings so they can carry cap space to the 2022 season where they plan on franchising Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, adobolo2 said:

The jets are not trading sam Darnold and plan on starting him next season.

Although they like Zack wilson the jets have decided to stick with the former number 3 overall pick and surround him with an offence and coaching he deserves.

The Jets have been wise in their free agent signings so they can carry cap space to the 2022 season where they plan on franchising Darnold.

What are the lottery numbers tonight?

2 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

We're not getting a high pick for that.

JD will not give up Sam for less than he received for Jamal.

• Haha 1