Nick Spano of Ustadium: The Jets will all but lock Zack in at pick #2 if his physical checks out

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And in other news, we are sure the Jets will either make a pick or trade out of the #2 slot. 

I'm a bit worried that they are enamored with him. Every bust the Jets take it's some guy they were enamored with. Just once I'd like to see them take someone begrudgingly. 

It’s pretty easy to fall in love with this kid when you see his skill set 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

You’re drafting the player not his teammates or opponents. There’s a long list of good NFL QBs who went  to small schools.

And were they taken with the #2 OA pick?

15 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

The jets are not trading sam Darnold and plan on starting him next season.

Although they like Zack wilson the jets have decided to stick with the former number 3 overall pick and surround him with an offence and coaching he deserves.

The Jets have been wise in their free agent signings so they can carry cap space to the 2022 season where they plan on franchising Darnold.

This is actually an interesting little theory and does give me pause.

IF you think there's a chance the Jets keep Sam and maximize that #2 (by trading down, etc.) then they have to plan for every possible situation in 2022.  If Sam bombs this season then they'd move on next year and they'd want as many 1st round picks as possible to navigate for a new QB.  If Sam miraculously steps up this year and seems like the guy then they'd want to have enough Cap space to franchise him if they can't agree on a contract.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is actually an interesting little theory and does give me pause.

IF you think there's a chance the Jets keep Sam and maximize that #2 (by trading down, etc.) then they have to plan for every possible situation in 2022.  If Sam bombs this season then they'd move on next year and they'd want as many 1st round picks as possible to navigate for a new QB.  If Sam miraculously steps up this year and seems like the guy then they'd want to have enough Cap space to franchise him if they can't agree on a contract.

I was as big a Darnold supporter as one could be.  I saw a lot of talent in college and in his rookie year where for all intents and purposes he had Houston, their #4 D and Watson beat along with Aaron Rodgers on consecutive weeks playing 1 on 11, until the Jet D cratered in final drives.

No rookie QB could have been dealt a worse hand than Darnold in basically all of his 3 years.  Total bottom feeding “talent” surrounding him coupled with horrific coaching to the point that he is now basically Broken.  You can use the term “broken” accurately since Darnold looked like a better QB with loads more confidence even back at SC than what he looks like TODAY...a full 3 years later.

His ship has sailed.  It would be way too big a roll of the dice to play him this year and then have to pay him a monster contract going into next year if he steps up his play.

I’d rather go to war with this kid who along with appearing way smarter than Darnold can also fit a football into a thimble from almost anywhere on the field.  I hope he isn’t Jax’s pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I was as big a Darnold supporter as one could be.  I saw a lot of talent in college and in his rookie year where for all intents and purposes he had Houston, their #4 D and Watson beat along with Aaron Rodgers on consecutive weeks playing 1 on 11, until the Jet D cratered in final drives.

No rookie QB could have been dealt a worse hand than Darnold in basically all of his 3 years.  Total bottom feeding “talent” surrounding him coupled with horrific coaching to the point that he is now basically Broken.  You can use the term “broken” accurately since Darnold looked like a better QB with loads more confidence even back at SC than what he looks like TODAY...a full 3 years later.

His ship has sailed.  It would be way too big a roll of the dice to play him this year and then have to pay him a monster contract going into next year if he steps up his play.

I’d rather go to war with this kid who along with appearing way smarter than Darnold can also fit a football into a thimble from almost anywhere on the field.  I hope he isn’t Jax’s pick.

Welcome to the cult. Me & @FidelioJet are pleased with your decision.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

The jets are not trading sam Darnold and plan on starting him next season.

Although they like Zack wilson the jets have decided to stick with the former number 3 overall pick and surround him with an offence and coaching he deserves.

The Jets have been wise in their free agent signings so they can carry cap space to the 2022 season where they plan on franchising Darnold.

How come Geno Smith never got this kind of love after his three-year reign of terror as Jets QB?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Just so I understand, this would be a bad thing? 

You got me there. That was some flawed thinking on my part. Maybe I meant awkward or bad for Darnold. Idk haha

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Some great throws, no doubt. Part of me just wonders if a couple of those end up with the same result against better CBs.  Nothing other than speculation of course, and Zack knew exactly what kind of competition he was up against.  He got some good plays out of his WRs after making total money throws.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

How come Geno Smith never got this kind of love after his three-year reign of terror as Jets QB?

Because besides being a very bad QB, Smith was not liked by almost anyone including his teamates. 

There's no way JD is drafting this beta.  He believes in physical smash mouth football.  Dominating line of scrimmages and those kind of teams need a tough SOB quarterback leading the way.  

It's Fields.  

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There's no way JD is drafting this beta.  He believes in physical smash mouth football.  Dominating line of scrimmages and those kind of teams need a tough SOB quarterback leading the way.  

It's Fields.  

Hey Jimmy 2 Times!!!!  GET THE PAPERS!!  GET THE PAPERS!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit worried that they are enamored with him. Every bust the Jets take it's some guy they were enamored with. Just once I'd like to see them take someone begrudgingly. 

Pretty sure we covered that one with Geno. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Mac Jones at 8 confirmed.

Would be totally cool with that. Since Mr. Thumb Up The Anus has made a trade...unlikely.

Wilson, not so much.  Already saw Chad Pennington's career. 

8 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Mac Jones at 8 confirmed.

Honestly I think he’ll end up being the best pro. Everyone is trying to find Mahomes, and this kids is like every conventionally great QB we were used to before Mahomes. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty sure we covered that one with Geno. 

At least with Geno, you can point to that it was a guy running the draft from an excel sheet. This time, should it be such an enamored situation, you ride or die with a personnel guy and, if it’s not good, I can live with that. 

I think Wilson will be the pick but not because this guy said so. One thing about JD since he started with us is there are no leaks in our organization. Our beat writers do not know anything. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's Fields.  

If we draft Fields that playoff drought will go another 10 years.

Whatever about Wilson being overrated - he is still far, far better than Fields. And will be ready to play day one. 

But then again anyone who uses the terms beta or alpha unironically shouldn't be taken seriously.

They are definitely going to take Wilson.

Could they take someone else or trade the pick? Yes. But if they don't take someone else or trade the pick, there is a really good chance they are taking Wilson.

Unless they take a player who plays another position, in which case they wouldn't take Wilson and try to make him play another postion.

Good grief, please let the draft get here already.

• Post of the Week 2
11 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Zach remind me of Sam. I think the jets keep sam and trade down or pick OT

Zach Wilson has ZERO in common with Sammy Boy ... Zach has far superior arm talent, is way more accurate and has sound mechanics.

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly I think he’ll end up being the best pro. Everyone is trying to find Mahomes, and this kids is like every conventionally great QB we were used to before Mahomes. 🤷‍♂️

Would you take him at 2 or do you think they can trade back and still get him?

59 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Would you take him at 2 or do you think they can trade back and still get him?

Trade back.

7-9 range.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Who makes the QB call? Does JD know how to evaluate QB talent? Is it Lefleur? Todd McShay (JD college roommate)? Most important evaluation ever….. who’s the QB whisperer in JD’s ear?

youre GIF

19 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

So let’s say this happens....on what planet is it smart to have Darnold on this team still? It’s like finding a new chick and plowing her in front of your depressed loser ex that is somehow still living with you.

Darnold needs to be gone ASAP. It wouldn’t have been bad to get rid of him even before knowing what they were doing at QB. The team is a train wreck and he’s a big reason why. If they decided not to draft a QB (which seems unlikely), sign a cheap veteran and have a year to implement new systems and have players gain experience. I just want Darnold gone and his value maximized. 

Joe Douglas was on the Eagles after they took Wentz at #2 overall. They held on to Sam Bradford until Teddy Bridgewater tore his knee and they flipped him for a 1st during the preseason.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Joe Douglas was on the Eagles after they took Wentz at #2 overall. They held on to Sam Bradford until Teddy Bridgewater tore his knee and they flipped him for a 1st during the preseason.

Ding ding ding. I’ve been floating this idea.

If the Jets are so confident that Sam can “turn it around in this system” then

• keep Sam + draft Wilson

• let Sam start the season

• trade him at deadline or next offseason with an increased trade value.

• Upvote 2