How would you rank the current WRs and O-line groups before the draft compared to the rest of the league.

Can we rank usernames instead, I absolutely have you locked into the top 5.

Lol welcome btw I see this is your first post.

i think we’ve moved the needle considerably with Davis & Cole. I was extremely worried about not signing another WR who has experience & can play decently after we signed Davis. Too many times we see Crowder & Robby/Perriman go down during the same stretch and we wind up having to give our QB guys like Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan as starters for the next few weeks. It’s extremely painful to watch. 0 real WR depth for years & years. Cole gives us a young guy with experience who can step up. Draft one more guy and we’re going to be okay!

I have 0 comments on OL. We haven’t touched it. The Chargers OG is depth. But other than that ... nothing. Hope JD’s plan was to go WR heavy in FA and OL heavy in the draft. Looking no different from last season at this moment though.

• WTF? 1

The WR corps right now is average if you want to be bullish on Mims. If Mims repeats last year we're probably around bottom 5 WR groups - maybe somewhere in the 5-10 worst. Off the top of my head the only groups of WRs I'm positive are worse than ours are: Texans, Lions, Colts, and Pats. Maybe Ravens, Dolphins, WFT, and Raiders. 

The OL is whatever you thought it was last year - but I think there is a lot more reason to think the OL can improve via the draft than the WR corps. I'd expect at least 1, if not 2 selections in the first three rounds to be used on IOL, and rookie guards can probably step in with more expected production than a WR. Becton should improve, Fant should be better in the new system, and hopefully the IOL will be better with more health, rookie performance, and I'm still holding hope Cam Clark sees the field this year. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think we should assume that JD won't sign a FA starting caliber IOLman like Trai Turner or someone else who shakes loose in the coming days/weeks. Assuming we draft O-line early, the combination of those two moves could actually very much 'move the needle'. Let's say we bring in Trai Turner and draft Vera-Tucker at 23. That would vastly change my outlook on the O-line. 

If I was to just rank the O-line as I see it right now I would say its just as bad as it was last year. But again, I can't really do that because the draft and FA is not over. Not only that but e haven't seen these guys play together in this new system. Will the O-line struggle more or will things be easier for them with the new scheme? Will Zach Wilson (assuming he is taken at #2) make them look better or worse than they looked with Sam? 

My guess is that JD WILL add a starting caliber vet lineman AND draft one early. And, I think the O-line will be better with the new coaching staff and a mobile, athletic QB like Wilson who can get rid of the ball quickly. I think Fant is better suited in a zone heavy scheme and Becton will play better with a season under his belt. I also expect McGovern to improve from his shaky start. 

As far as WRs, again it depends on what the Jets do in the draft but right now the corps looks pretty good. There aren't any superstars but a a ton of potential and guys that can flat out make plays. If Mims can stay on the field and proves to be the stud receiver we saw flashes of last year this could be a very good receiving corps. I think he is the biggest X factor. Otherwise, Davis, Crowder, Cole and potentially a top 100 rookie, someone like a Rondale Moore, Kadarius Toney or Terrace Marshall give the Jets plenty of weapons at WR who can line up at a variety of spots. It's definitely an upgrade.    

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

The WR corps right now is average if you want to be bullish on Mims. If Mims repeats last year we're probably around bottom 5 WR groups - maybe somewhere in the 5-10 worst. Off the top of my head the only groups of WRs I'm positive are worse than ours are: Texans, Lions, Colts, and Pats. Maybe Ravens, Dolphins, WFT, and Raiders. 

The OL is whatever you thought it was last year - but I think there is a lot more reason to think the OL can improve via the draft than the WR corps. I'd expect at least 1, if not 2 selections in the first three rounds to be used on IOL, and rookie guards can probably step in with more expected production than a WR. Becton should improve, Fant should be better in the new system, and hopefully the IOL will be better with more health, rookie performance, and I'm still holding hope Cam Clark sees the field this year. 

What about the Titans, they just lost C.Davis and now their only main weapon is AJ Brown. What about the the Packers? D.Adams is the only real threat on that team. Rodgers makes everyone else better than they really are. What about the Eagles? What about the Panthers? Even a team like the Vikings. They have Jefferson and Thielan who are great but after that not much else. If you are going to be bullish on Mims and believe he can develop into a WR as good as Jefferson, with Crowder, Cole and C.Davis the Jets should have a better unit. You start piling up these teams and all of a sudden our group looks pretty good. 

And how much does it really matter? I think a lot of WR success has to do with who the coach is, who the QB is and how good the o-line is. Clearly there are elite WRs out there that will get theirs no matter what. But you can have a very productive group without all the name recognition if you have other pieces in place. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Mims was fine, Darnold just never looked at him. He was wide open on many many plays

• Upvote 2

i think right now both the wrs and oline are solid average.  they can improve because if the receivers can play off of each other they're good enough so teams won't really be able to slough off of one.  now it's up to the qb to get them the ball.  as for the oline, above all they need to practice together and then play the games together.

A lot of disrespect being thrown Keelan Cole’s way. 

I hear the NY media talking up Darius Slayton... Cole put up more catches and TDs than him last year, slightly less yards, and Mike Glennon was his QB for half the season. He’s our WR4

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

What about the Titans, they just lost C.Davis and now their only main weapon is AJ Brown. What about the the Packers? D.Adams is the only real threat on that team. Rodgers makes everyone else better than they really are. What about the Eagles? What about the Panthers? Even a team like the Vikings. They have Jefferson and Thielan who are great but after that not much else. If you are going to be bullish on Mims and believe he can develop into a WR as good as Jefferson, with Crowder, Cole and C.Davis the Jets should have a better unit. You start piling up these teams and all of a sudden our group looks pretty good. 

And how much does it really matter? I think a lot of WR success has to do with who the coach is, who the QB is and how good the o-line is. Clearly there are elite WRs out there that will get theirs no matter what. But you can have a very productive group without all the name recognition if you have other pieces in place. 

You seriously can't compare the Jets group with the Vikings.  They have 2 top level NFL guys.  The Jets don't have one as good as either of their 2.  I have hopes for Mims but so far it's just hope.  Davis is a nice player but hasn't been as productive as either of the vikings top guys.

Right now the Jets group is mediocre with potential for good.

9 hours ago, adb280z said:

You seriously can't compare the Jets group with the Vikings.  They have 2 top level NFL guys.  The Jets don't have one as good as either of their 2.  I have hopes for Mims but so far it's just hope.  Davis is a nice player but hasn't been as productive as either of the vikings top guys.

Right now the Jets group is mediocre with potential for good.

Well. I agree. I'm just saying Mims has Jefferson upside and Davis is as good as Thielan if targeted as aggressively. Davis was in a run first offense that revolved around D.Henry. I just goes back to my point that a receiving group is impacted by QB play, coaching, system, O-line, etc. 

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

The way I'd assess the WR corps is if I was an opposing DC - which team would I rather face. Yes the Jets 2 and 3 guys are probably better than teams like the Packers or Titans - but having a #1 option like AJ Brown or D Adams makes it much tougher (IMO) to face off against those teams than the Jets guys, who are all "#2" options. Vikings are way better I don't even think its debatable. Eagles are a good call - I'd add them to teams in wore shapes to the Jets. 

As far as how much it matters - I'm not sure it does. Like I said, if Mims is what we hope he is I think we have a real solid group. I don't think you need to have the Julio Jones type to be an effective WR corps, however as it currently stands we have one WR that is probably somewhere in the top 40 WR options, a solid/good slot WR, and a question mark in Mims. Beyond that we'll see what we have in Cole - who I like at the price - and I think Berrios is a fine backup slot, but its not anything to write home about. I don't think its a major area of concern b/c I believe Mims has incredible potential - but as it stands objectively I don't think its fair to say we're anything more than in the 20-25 range for WR talent. 

• Upvote 1

Until proven otherwise, both WR and OLine are grade "F".

As we stand today, I'm hard pressed to claim our WR or Oline groups are any better then bottom 5 in the AFC.

Screw the same old faux-optimism, prove it.  For once prove it, on the field, not on a forum during the offseason.

• Upvote 4

I feel confident that the WR group is at least average and possibly better than that at this point. To correctly utilize the group the rest of the offense must improve.

Which brings me to the OL. The OL is disgusting. Besides Becton there's no one I would want to keep. And really that's what's killing this offense. If Sammy gets an OL, he's going to start playing a lot better and we'll see the WR's start to stretch the field.

18 hours ago, HamBilly said:

Most of the available free agents won't move the needle for these positions. Outside of rookies, this will be the group Wilson/Fields/Darnold will be working with.

I think we have a top 32 WR corps. Ugly kid Joe has been killing it in FA.

Cole and Davis were masterful signings!!!!

OU Helmets: Metallic VS Non - DirtBurglars

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As we stand today, I'm hard pressed to claim our WR or Oline groups are any better then bottom 5 in the AFC.

Screw the same old faux-optimism, prove it.  For once prove it, on the field, not on a forum during the offseason.

Once again so many posters have failed to take "The Gase Effect" into account when considering last years roster performance.   

Let's  just say that Darnold playing 16 games results in over 3800yards. 28TDs

Davis  1100yards 7TD

Crowder 700 yards 6 TD

Cole 700 yards  4TD

Berrios  400 yards 2TD

If Mims get  more than 7 TDs and 800 yds

We have a solid B at best.

If Davis and Mims combined has 2000+ and 18 TDs than B+ 

So above B grade seems optimistic when I haven't  even included the TE and the rookie WR.

First, let's set some parameters.  There is no way in hell that the Jets are playoff contender this season.  And JD isn't trying to make them one.

Our OL is bottom quarter to bottom third.  They will be better than last year just because they have played together.  But there will be all new blocking schemes.  I have no idea whether that helps or hurts in the long run.  In the short term, it hurts because OL's take time to gel.  

Will there be an off season and training camp this year?  Once again, Jets will benefit more than established teams if there is.

WR:  Jets look to be middle quintile--a good step better than last year.  Davis (especially), Cole and Kroft (TE) were brought in with scheme fit in mind.  Saleh is an active participant in building this roster.  So I give them credit for bring in players who will perform above their metrics because they will be in a system that plays to their strengths (I know, a novel thought for the Jets.)

But mostly this is a silly season thread because there are going to be significant changes to the roster as FA continues and the draft picks are added.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I suspect if we had Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerals Randy Moss as our Top 3 receivers you would lament they we suck because we don't have a slot receiver.

It is absolutely hilarious how much people overrate these players. It’s not even a top 20 unit in the league. Probably among the worst if/when Crowder is cut for that precious cap saving.

No one here knew who Keelan Cole was a few weeks ago and now he’s the most underrated player in football. You couldn’t make it up.

The offensive line is a disgrace. Running backs and Tight Ends are probably the very worst in the NFL. Yet another top 3 QB being put in the worst possible position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I would say talent wise our WRs rank bottom 20s and our O-Line ranks bottom 25 (heading into the draft). 

Our RB and TE positions both rank bottom 20-25 imo too. 

In other words; our WR/O-Line/RB/TE position(s) all absolutely stink surrounding our QB position. 

• No true explosive dynamic #1 WR. 

• Outside of Becton a bottom feeding O-Line. 

• No game changing dominant RB. 

• Crap @ TE. 

The only way to fix this? Is unfortunately A.) Trade back and accumulate A++++ draft capital and B.) For JD to strike gold with his draft picks.