Giants Signing Golladay

TMAC

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The WFT was better last year and the Cowboys with Dak are much better

5-11. Dak back, WFT better, Eagles suck. 

Away schedule is very tough 

While next year's schedule won't come out for months, the opponents have been set with the conclusion of the 2020 regular season.

Here is a look at the Giants' 2021 opponents:

Home

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos
  • Los Angeles Rams (NFC West Same Place Finisher)
  • Washington Football Team
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Away

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Chicago Bears (NFC North Same Place Finisher)
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles
Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While next year's schedule won't come out for months, the opponents have been set with the conclusion of the 2020 regular season.

Here is a look at the Giants' 2021 opponents:

Home

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Denver Broncos
  • Los Angeles Rams (NFC West Same Place Finisher)
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Away

• Kansas City Chiefs
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Chicago Bears (NFC North Same Place Finisher)
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Brutal. Does any other team play both of the Super Bowl teams, and on the road to boot?

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Nope. There’s a reason the Lions didn’t franchise him. And he turns 28 in November, which is on the oldish side for a WR. 

Golladay is coming off a broken hip.  The giants fans in the media gloating about this signing are going to look very stupid in about 6 months 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/giants-may-have-been-bidding-against-themselves-for-kenny-golladay/

So it seems the Giants vastly overpaid for golladay as no one was offering anywhere near as much as they paid. Gettleman is in desperation mode. 

You should watch the actual video you posted.  Simms really liked the move.  He didn't reset the market and it's not a 1 year deal on a low cap year.  They bought him for 3 to 5 years.  

51 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You should watch the actual video you posted.  Simms really liked the move.  He didn't reset the market and it's not a 1 year deal on a low cap year.  They bought him for 3 to 5 years.  

Sorry, I don't need Simms to tell me how to think. If no one was offering 14 million a year and the Giants paid him 18 (maybe 19) per year that's pretty awful. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sorry, I don't need Simms to tell me how to think. If no one was offering 14 million a year and the Giants paid him 18 (maybe 19) per year that's pretty awful. 

Bingo!!!  They were bidding against themselves, WR's were getting 1 year deals for 8-10 million (Fuller,

Smith-Schuster).  NYG gave Golladay a contract like they were in the "tampering period"

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

And why is a 3-5 year contract, overpaying at that, for a player who missed 11 games due to injury a good thing?  

59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And why is a 3-5 year contract, overpaying at that, for a player who missed 11 games due to injury a good thing?  

Because they didn't overpay him.  Next year the cap goes up and Golladay didn't reset the market for the current cost of high paid but not market setting WR.  If they signed him for 14 million on a 1 year deal he's cost going forward would go up with the cap substantially.  

Which free agent did we get that we underpaid?   I know the Giants suck at this but I also know everyone on this board would be creaming in their pants if we signed Golladay and/or Thuney and we would be justifying the price because...

Also the Giants absolutely have to evaluate Jones in year 3 in a no excuse situation.  See the NY Jets as an example why.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Golladay is coming off a broken hip.  The giants fans in the media gloating about this signing are going to look very stupid in about 6 months 

Please show me the report of a "Broken" hip?  Don't think that's the case.  

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You're once again exhibiting some reading deficiencies, guy. I said he will turn 28 in November. Give it another go. Maybe you'll eventually get it right. 

On my phone and skimming. But if you’re overall point is 28 is on the oldish sign then you’re just wrong. 

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

Because they didn't overpay him.  Next year the cap goes up and Golladay didn't reset the market for the current cost of high paid but not market setting WR.  If they signed him for 14 million on a 1 year deal he's cost going forward would go up with the cap substantially.  

Which free agent did we get that we underpaid?   I know the Giants suck at this but I also know everyone on this board would be creaming in their pants if we signed Golladay and/or Thuney and we would be justifying the price because...

Also the Giants absolutely have to evaluate Jones in year 3 in a no excuse situation.  See the NY Jets as an example why.

You can say they didnt overpay him but most think they did.  There was no market for Golladay and the Giants were competing with themselves.  I dont care what the cap is next year, what does that have to do with paying an injured WR 18 mil this year.  I'm not seeing the contract

Lots of us wanted nothing to do with Galloday.  I didnt like the risk of a player with a hip injury.  We'll see.  Thuney isnt a real issue given he was going to KC, like it or not.  JD was in conversation so he knew what kind of commitment it would take.  Paying Thuney is a whole different story than paying Galloday.  

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You can say they didnt overpay him but most think they did.  There was no market for Golladay and the Giants were competing with themselves.  I dont care what the cap is next year, what does that have to do with paying an injured WR 18 mil this year.  I'm not seeing the contract

Lots of us wanted nothing to do with Galloday.  I didnt like the risk of a player with a hip injury.  We'll see.  Thuney isnt a real issue given he was going to KC, like it or not.  JD was in conversation so he knew what kind of commitment it would take.  Paying Thuney is a whole different story than paying Galloday.  

If you think Golladay was an overpay Davis was flat out stupid.  He’s a second tier guy who had one decent year on a contract year and we gave him 13 million.  That’s overpaying.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

If you think Golladay was an overpay Davis was flat out stupid.  He’s a second tier guy who had one decent year on a contract year and we gave him 13 million.  That’s overpaying.  

Well thats good for you.

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

All that says it you've just watched a 2 and 14 year and drunk the cool aid.  

I have no idea what this means 

I do know you complained that Davis had one season while Golladay has had all of two and cost $5.5 mil more in base $.  Coming off a season where a bad hip held him to 5 games.  Its not just $18.5 mil per Golladay singed for its 4 years, $72 mil a $17 mil signing bonus, $40 mil guaranteed, a dead cap value of $28 mil and more with bonuses.

A player that isnt really an ideal fit into the offense that the 49rs ran.

So yeah argue the two deals or some nonsense about cool aid

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea what this means 

I do know you complained that Davis had one season while Golladay has had all of two and cost $5.5 mil more.  A player that isnt really an ideal fit into the offense that the 49rs ran.  Coming off a season where a bad hip held him to 5 games.  Its not just $18.5 mil per Golladay singed for its 4 years, $72 mil a $17 mil signing bonus, $40 mil guaranteed, a dead cap value of $28 mil and more with bonuses.

So yeah argue the two deals or some nonsense about cool aid

Davis got 27 million guarantee all in the first 2 years.  Davis has never produced like Golladay.  Golladay is being paid in the same range as other receivers of his class.  He's not being paid Elite WR money.  Davis got more money than Robbie and he's not as good.  

The problem is you don't understand the difference between market value and overpaying.  The Giants signed a top tier WR and have him expensive now and cheap later.  We have a guy who's really expensive now and if he actually produces will cost way more than Golladay to keep.

Just now, Biggs said:

Davis got 27 million guarantee all in the first 2 years.  Davis has never produced like Golladay.  Golladay is being paid in the same range as other receivers of his class.  He's not being paid Elite WR money.  Davis got more money than Robbie and he's not as good.  

What are you arguing that $27 mil is the same as $72?  Really?  

Davis never played in a wide open passing game with a Stafford.  Davis played in a run first offense with either Mariotta or Tannehill as his QB.  Whats elite money, its $20 mil per and Golladay is at $18 per?  Thats elite money.  

If you look at Pro Football Focus grades from the past three seasons, Davis had the best season of the two. His 2020 grade of 85.3 ranked 10th out of 127 wide receivers. Golladay had an 81.0 grade in 2018, which was 21st out of 118 receivers. 

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What are you arguing that $27 mil is the same as $72?  Really?  

Davis never played in a wide open passing game with a Stafford.  Davis played in a run first offense with either Mariotta or Tannehill as his QB.  Whats elite money, its $20 mil per and Golladay is at $18 per?  Thats elite money.  

If you look at Pro Football Focus grades from the past three seasons, Davis had the best season of the two. His 2020 grade of 85.3 ranked 10th out of 127 wide receivers. Golladay had an 81.0 grade in 2018, which was 21st out of 118 receivers. 

Is Golladay guaranteed 72 million?  No 40 million.  Is Davis guaranteed 27 million over 2 years.  Yes.  

I think Golladay is better than Davis.  FYI I think Stafford is better than Tannehill even though Tannehill rated much higher on Pro football focus.   Do you think Davis is better than Golladay?  You don't seem to want to address that directly?  

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Is Golladay guaranteed 72 million?  No 40 million.  Is Davis guaranteed 27 million over 2 years.  Yes.  

I think Golladay is better than Davis.  FYI I think Stafford is better than Tannehill even though Tannehill rated much higher on Pro football focus.   

Is the deal $72 mil?  Is that what I said?  Yes.  

Is $40 mil more than $27 mil?  Why are we arguing this simple fact?  We were talking money, the Giants gave Golladay elite money.  The Giants made the bigger financial commitment.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Is the deal $72 mil?  Is that what I said?  Yes.  

Is $40 mil more than $27 mil?  Why are we arguing this simple fact?  We were talking money, the Giants gave Golladay elite money.  The Giants made the bigger financial commitment.

You're arguing it was a bad deal.  You changed the argument that Davis is better than Golladay for less money.  You're frankly all over the place.  Here's my argument.  Golladay is one of the best WR in football.  He signed a deal that is in line with one of the best but not the next level elite NFL WR.  He's in his prime and the Giants needed him.

I like the deal because they got a top tier NFL WR and have him tied up at the market price.  You're coming at this like a disgruntled Jets fan who wants to piss on the Giants.  When I pointed out that Davis, who is a second tier WR with one decent year, which also happened to be his contract year was over paid based on comparative WR you compared his deal to Golladay.  We both agree he's not Golladay although you actually tried to make the amazingly dumb argument that he's better.  You than made the argument, hiding behind PFF that Davis was better than Golladay while also saying Golladay had the advantage of playing with  a better QB than Davis, Stafford who was rated much lower than Tannehill by the same PFF.

I'm not sure what you're upset about.  A thread was started saying the Giants grossly over paid.  The link with video explained why he wasn't.  

I think Golladay is a bonafide No. 1 WR although not the top 5 elite.  I don't think Davis is in Golladay's class.  He's in the next tier.  He was paid accordingly.  The difference is Golladay is tied up and Davis isn't.  If you believe in Davis he should be.  If you don't it's a better deal.  You really need to distinguish the difference.   The Giants believed in Golladay and wanted to tie him up.  Douglas doesn't believe in Davis and want to see him prove his worth. 

45 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think Golladay is better than Davis.  FYI I think Stafford is better than Tannehill even though Tannehill rated much higher on Pro football focus.   Do you think Davis is better than Golladay?  You don't seem to want to address that directly?  

Golladay has a 21 million cap hit in 2022 and 2023. 

Corey Davis has a 15 million cap hit in 2022 and in 2023 the Jets have an out where if he doesn't play up to par, the jets can cut him and only have a 2 million dead cap hit. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Golladay has a 21 million cap hit in 2022 and 2023. 

Corey Davis has a 15 million cap hit in 2022 and in 2023 the Jets have an out where if he doesn't play up to par, the jets can cut him and only have a 2 million dead cap hit. 

Great and he's not a No. 1 WR who we actually believe in.  It's clear that's why we structured it that way.  Conversely if the cap goes up and he plays his ass off and we want to keep him, he's going to cost a ton of money.

Being able to unload underperformers is great.  Guys being able to go into FA again in a higher cap environment who are performing not so great.

• WTF? 1