Joe Douglas Observations and The Kingpin move he may be planning.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not much time to post but Douglas certainly is interesting so far from what we know so far. The thoughts below are from the moves he has made so far in his time here.  Things we know.  Joe D

Well it's good to know we aren't getting ahead of ourselves and being super hyperbolic about a dude that threw a 2-14 team out on the field last year and whiffed on almost all of his mid-rounders.

Posted Images

Hey as long as the redhead is jettisoned idc which QB they draft. Can’t stomach another season of terrible QB play and the excuses for that terrible play. I can already hear the “Sam needs time this is his 3rd coach, this is a new system, etc 

• Upvote 4

This would be ballsy for sure.

I really think Douglas likes Wilson more than Darnold.

But, is comfortable enough with Darnold  to keep him if he gets a Godfather offer for #2. But it’ll have to be exorbitant.

If a GM gets the HC & QB right, every other position looks better and they’ll have a longer leash.

I don’t think that Godfather deal cones through.

I think we’ll draft Wilson and trade Sam during or after the draft.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well it's good to know we aren't getting ahead of ourselves and being super hyperbolic about a dude that threw a 2-14 team out on the field last year and whiffed on almost all of his mid-rounders.

Now be prepared to be attacked by the Joe Douglas can do no wrong crowd but this is the sad reality 

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Hey as long as the redhead is jettisoned idc which QB they draft. Can’t stomach another season of terrible QB play and the excuses for that terrible play. I can already hear the “Sam needs time this is his 3rd coach, this is a new system, etc 

That's where I am at. Wilson is my guy, but I love Fields and Lance. Honestly, I don't care what we do at QB, so long as it's not another season of Darnold. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Not much time to post but Douglas certainly is interesting so far from what we know so far. The thoughts below are from the moves he has made so far in his time here. 

Things we know. 

Joe Douglas does not leak. 

First and foremost we are all looking for rumors and the Jets direction right now. With the utmost confidence I can tell you that whatever you are hearing from whatever "Sources" are either :

A) just hypothetical guesses that are simply correct a random % of the time. 

B ) Leaks that Joe Douglas wants you to hear. For Example the CJ Mosley news should just tell you that Joe Douglas wants someone to call him to trade for CJ. which is just super intelligent looking at that contract/age. His opt out last year left us in this situation that he has a very low salary this year before his contract goes back to sucking next year. Look for us to deal him before the draft. 

If you go over the Corey Davis or Carl Lawson signings who projected them? No one. Most of our moves are just air tight until they happen and you really have to give Joe Douglas credit for this. 

Yet all we are hearing is how we how many people "Know" the jets will be taking Zach Wilson. Yet if this was the case shouldn't he have traded Sam Darnold by now? His actions and "The Leaks" are telling two different stories here. 

Things we know. 

Joe Douglas has a pre set value system that he stands by. Likely from his Baltimore Days. 

You all have seen it in Free Agency as well as the draft last year. He sticks to his tiers and rankings and he is picking the next man up. Certainly this could lead to a "Move Up" for the last player in a tier however I don't think you're going to see Joe fall in love with any one player ever. The First time we were on the Clock with Denzel Mims on the Board we traded down. With that being said I just don't see Joe sitting there and saying he "Loves" and must have "Zach Wilson" bc I don't think he is going to say that about anyone. He will simply get value and get guys that fit the system. 

Last years Kingpin move. 

We went into last year needing WR more than anything. It was the biggest WR in a long time they all said. With Denzel Mims on the board and the entire Jets nation slamming the table to draft him he traded pick 48 for picks 59 and 101 from seattle. . Pick 101 was then traded to NE for 125, 129 and a 6th round pick this year. 

So instead of just taking Dezel Mims we ended up with Denzel Mims, Two Fourth rounders and 6th round pick this year. Badass Move. 

So Lets Put it all together and make a prediction for this years Kingpin Move Prediction. 

• The Leaks you hearing about Zach Wilson are by design. 
  • Joe Douglas gets excited about trading for 6th round picks. You really think hes going to pass on a RGIII type return for this pick? 
  • Are these FA moves convincing you Joe Douglas is acting like we will be competing for the playoffs this year? No. This is a long build. 
  • We are trading this pick to wherever that first tier of players ends. With 8 Elite Players, Carolina wanting to overpay for a QB and Watson staying in Houston its looking like we will be trading down to the 8th pick in the next few weeks. 

So who are we taking?

• Joe Douglas seems extremely comfortable with 1 year deals and the Time to trade Sam Darnold has passed. We are going into the draft with the 8th pick and telling the world Sam Darnold is our QB this year. 
  • The Jets will be absolutely fine actually going into next year with Sam Darnold. Perhaps we even go grab Marcus Mariotta as his backup too just incase. We will all talk about grabbing Patrick Surtain or Kyle Pitts which would be great moves.
  • But whats the Kingpin move? The kind of move Baltimore makes every year?

Instead of Taking Zach Wilson at 2 The Jets are going to drop back and grab Two extra first, Two extra seconds and an extra mid round pick from Carolina and grab Justin Fields when he drops to the 8th pick. Same thing like Mim's last year. They will then trade Sam Darnold that night before day 2 and go into next year with Fields and Mariotta at QB. Just like Baltimore every year they will look brilliant. Kingpin. 

Don't think this could happen?

In the 2008 Draft the Ravens had the 8th pick. They traded Down to 26 and scored extra picks and then came up for Flacco. "They didn't just take their guy". 

Look at the 2018 draft. They passed on Lamar Jackson before coming back up in a trade up to take him later on. Again - They didn't just take their guy. 

Ozzie is the guy that Douglas was trained by. We are taking the value all day and not falling in love with anyone. Perhaps we land Fields and are the talk of the town for looking brilliant. But whats the worse case? We end up loaded in the draft the next few years and end up with Darnold, Pitts or Surtain? Forget all other rationale in your head and just focus on Douglas's moves so far and the way Ozzie made his moves and this situation is as clear as day.

Douglas is not falling in love with anyone. So before this becomes a Wilson vs Fields thread or Sam thread - Its not about that. This is about value. We are not getting anyone we individually love. Joe is making that tier of elite players and we are grabbing the last one in that tier. He is not designing this team with an intention to make the playoffs. This is about building a team and culture. Prepare for a long ride. 

Great post and Very well tought out and something similar to what I've been thinking (except the fields part)

If sam was been traded he'd be gone by now and not for one second do I believe we are waiting on pro days to make the decision.

The trade up from 23 for a fields/trask/jones is a high possibility that most are not considering.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

You put a lot of thought into this, so I’m not doing to disparage your theory. But I don’t see it. Here’s why:

That’s a quote from Douglas’s introductory press conference. He has repeated it often since then. He sees the QB as the keystone to the whole team. He learned under Ozzie Newsome, who drafted Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson in the first round, and in the latter case traded up to do so. 

Douglas is not going to stockpile picks for the sake of stockpiling picks. If he’s sees an opportunity to get a franchise QB, he’s going to take it. I have no doubts about that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm wiring part of my brain to accept and find some excitement in picking Wilson if it happens.  But if Douglas pulls off this scenario I would be over the moon.  I don't think Fields will make it to 8.  I think he's gone at 4 to ATL assuming someone doesn't trade up to 3 with MIA to get him.  But at 8, your worst case is Pitts or one of the three WRs.  If the haul is enormous, I could dig it.

But I have to ask...how do we know JD isn't leaking this through you to get CAR interested in the trade.

Agreed. The point I’m pretty confident in making here while we all debate the little things about these QBs for months is: in the end if Wilson/Fields are in the same Tier Douglas doesn’t care who he gets. He’s taking the value all day. 

We now have Two Free Agency periods, several trades and a draft to see his tendencies and the above seems crystal clear. Even more so when you look at this like Ozzie Newsome would. 

Baltimore always gets the guy that falls. By trading to 8 the Jets are getting whatever Elite player falls and I think that guy will be Fields this year. 

39 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Not much time to post but Douglas certainly is interesting so far from what we know so far. The thoughts below are from the moves he has made so far in his time here. 

Things we know. 

First and foremost we are all looking for rumors and the Jets direction right now. With the utmost confidence I can tell you that whatever you are hearing from whatever "Sources" are either :

B ) Leaks that Joe Douglas wants you to hear. For Example the CJ Mosley news should just tell you that Joe Douglas wants someone to call him to trade for CJ. which is just super intelligent looking at that contract/age. His opt out last year left us in this situation that he has a very low salary this year before his contract goes back to sucking next year. Look for us to deal him before the draft. 

If you go over the Corey Davis or Carl Lawson signings who projected them? No one. Most of our moves are just air tight until they happen and you really have to give Joe Douglas credit for this. 

Yet all we are hearing is how we how many people "Know" the jets will be taking Zach Wilson. Yet if this was the case shouldn't he have traded Sam Darnold by now? His actions and "The Leaks" are telling two different stories here. 

Things we know. 

Joe Douglas has a pre set value system that he stands by. Likely from his Baltimore Days. 

You all have seen it in Free Agency as well as the draft last year. He sticks to his tiers and rankings and he is picking the next man up. Certainly this could lead to a "Move Up" for the last player in a tier however I don't think you're going to see Joe fall in love with any one player ever. The First time we were on the Clock with Denzel Mims on the Board we traded down. With that being said I just don't see Joe sitting there and saying he "Loves" and must have "Zach Wilson" bc I don't think he is going to say that about anyone. He will simply get value and get guys that fit the system. 

Last years Kingpin move. 

We went into last year needing WR more than anything. It was the biggest WR in a long time they all said. With Denzel Mims on the board and the entire Jets nation slamming the table to draft him he traded pick 48 for picks 59 and 101 from seattle. . Pick 101 was then traded to NE for 125, 129 and a 6th round pick this year. 

So instead of just taking Dezel Mims we ended up with Denzel Mims, Two Fourth rounders and 6th round pick this year. Badass Move. 

So Lets Put it all together and make a prediction for this years Kingpin Move Prediction. 

• Joe Douglas gets excited about trading for 6th round picks. You really think hes going to pass on a RGIII type return for this pick? 
  • Are these FA moves convincing you Joe Douglas is acting like we will be competing for the playoffs this year? No. This is a long build. 
  • We are trading this pick to wherever that first tier of players ends. With 8 Elite Players, Carolina wanting to overpay for a QB and Watson staying in Houston its looking like we will be trading down to the 8th pick in the next few weeks. 

So who are we taking?

• Joe Douglas seems extremely comfortable with 1 year deals and the Time to trade Sam Darnold has passed. We are going into the draft with the 8th pick and telling the world Sam Darnold is our QB this year. 
  • The Jets will be absolutely fine actually going into next year with Sam Darnold. Perhaps we even go grab Marcus Mariotta as his backup too just incase. We will all talk about grabbing Patrick Surtain or Kyle Pitts which would be great moves.

Instead of Taking Zach Wilson at 2 The Jets are going to drop back and grab Two extra first, Two extra seconds and an extra mid round pick from Carolina and grab Justin Fields when he drops to the 8th pick. Same thing like Mim's last year. They will then trade Sam Darnold that night before day 2 and go into next year with Fields and Mariotta at QB. Just like Baltimore every year they will look brilliant. Kingpin. 

In the 2008 Draft the Ravens had the 8th pick. They traded Down to 26 and scored extra picks and then came up for Flacco. "They didn't just take their guy". 

Look at the 2018 draft. They passed on Lamar Jackson before coming back up in a trade up to take him later on. Again - They didn't just take their guy. 

Ozzie is the guy that Douglas was trained by. We are taking the value all day and not falling in love with anyone. Perhaps we land Fields and are the talk of the town for looking brilliant. But whats the worse case? We end up loaded in the draft the next few years and end up with Darnold, Pitts or Surtain? Forget all other rationale in your head and just focus on Douglas's moves so far and the way Ozzie made his moves and this situation is as clear as day.

Douglas is not falling in love with anyone. So before this becomes a Wilson vs Fields thread or Sam thread - Its not about that. This is about value. We are not getting anyone we individually love. Joe is making that tier of elite players and we are grabbing the last one in that tier. He is not designing this team with an intention to make the playoffs. This is about building a team and culture. Prepare for a long ride. 

I could see this. And, if it did happen, I would do backflips

• Upvote 1

Didn't Douglas also have a provisional trade in place with the Jags last year, to move up to 9 if he didn't like how the board was falling for tackles? Not sure what that means and how he viewed Becton v Wills. Did he have them graded equally, or did he see it as Becton + compensation > Wills? 

Point being, that with his first major draft selection, he was not averse to trading up if necessary to get his guy. 

It's one thing to get cute when you are drafting a receiver. Less so if its a left tackle, and foolish when its a quarterback. 

• Upvote 2

Out situation is nothing like when Baltimore picked Flacco. Flacco was a 2nd rounder on many boards and was a slight reach where they took him.

The big point you are missing is that Zach Wilson is NOT A REACH. On any level. He is easily the consensus #2 QB and people like Simms and Greg Cossell who are truly excellent at evaluating QBs really like him and Simms even more than that.

Look 2-14 teams with the worst QB in the NFL (and Darnold is) do not pass on franchise QBs. It is exceedingly likely Douglas will not either. Also the Jets have a new HC and OC and they will want "their guy" Heck even Rex ground and pound extreme guy wanted his guy at QB.

The only realistic way this happens is if Wilson fails his physical, and then he will drop a lot, but that is super unlikely to happen.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You pita lot of thought into this, so I’m not doing to disparage your theory. But I don’t see it. Here’s why:

That’s a quote from Douglas’s introductory press conference. He has repeated it often since then. He sees the QB as the keystone to the whole team. He learned under Ozzie Newsome, who drafted Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson in the first round, and in the latter case traded up to do so. 

Douglas is not going to stockpile picks for the sake of stockpiling picks. If he’s sees an opportunity to get a franchise QB, he’s going to take it. I have no doubts about that. 

Thanks Ray.

Ozzie actually passed on Lamar Jackson. He Also could have drafted Flacco earlier but traded down instead to stockpile picks. The exact trades are in the OP.

Agree with you on how the roster should be built. I just think Douglas is not your standard GM for better or worse. 

• Upvote 3
22 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

That's where I am at. Wilson is my guy, but I love Fields and Lance. Honestly, I don't care what we do at QB, so long as it's not another season of Darnold. 

So you’re good with all of the 1st round qbs? Probably means none are worth taking because none stand out. 

Personally a trade down for pitts or a wr is where I’m at. Give Sam a real coach and see what happens. Sad to say Jeremy Bates is the best offensive mind we ever gave Sam. Criminal actually. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

So about this scenario, the teams most likely to draft a QB would be Atlanta at 4 and Philadelphia at 6. 

I'm not sure Atlanta is going QB. Matt Ryan can still play and cutting him before 2024 would result in a significant cap hit: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

Falcons could easily draft Pitts. Ryan's targets next year would then be Julio Jones, Pitts and Calvin Ridley (that's a hell of a set of weapons). 

Eagles are picking a QB no matter what they say at 6. If Carolina is going to jump up for Wilson at 2 and the Jets would still want to grab Fields, the Jets would have to trade up to 5.

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Agreed. The point I’m pretty confident in making here while we all debate the little things about these QBs for months is: in the end if Wilson/Fields are in the same Tier Douglas doesn’t care who he gets. He’s taking the value all day. 

We now have Two Free Agency periods, several trades and a draft to see his tendencies and the above seems crystal clear. Even more so when you look at this like Ozzie Newsome would. 

Baltimore always gets the guy that falls. By trading to 8 the Jets are getting whatever Elite player falls and I think that guy will be Fields this year. 

I do not believe any NFL team with the #2 pick will have 2 QBs ranked equal. Just will not happen. They will be separated because 95% chance we pick one, and there is nothing shielding us from the pick. If we say picked 5 or 6 we might have a couple of QBs we are OK with that pick. But the Jets are not in that situation. They can pick any QB other than Lawrence and if JAX somehow picks Wilson we just take Lawrence.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You pita lot of thought into this, so I’m not doing to disparage your theory. But I don’t see it. Here’s why:

This kinda shuts down the entire theory that JD values “more picks“ over the chance to get a franchise QB. He said this from the door so if you’re to believe anything JD has said to date, wouldn’t it be this? 

49 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Things we know. 

Things we know. 

Last years Kingpin move. 

So who are we taking?

I like your analysis and would be ecstatic with Fields at 8, but I can't see him falling so far.  There are a lot of QB needy teams before 8.  Panthers would take Wilson. Dolphins, Falcons, Eagles could all take one or could certainly trade to another team that wants a QB. 

• Upvote 2

This is a great point and well thought out reasoning. I would not be surprised to see something like this transpire. However, if you look at what JD did last year in the FIRST round at pick 11, he MADE SURE the Jets got one of the top OTs and was willing to trade up if he had to. Word is he had a deal on the table to move up but when he saw that both Becton and Wirfs were going to be there at 11 he pulled the deal. So I dunno. I don't think ANYTING is that rigid, meaning, I don't think JD will be going STRICTLY by value. Sure, he may decide to move down if he gets a monster offer but if the Jets REALLY like Wilson they might be pretty much set in taking him. QB is THAT important and you can't really gamble with that position by A. Hoping a guy like Darnold turns things round or B. Taking Fields if he's not the prospect you really want. If the Jets aren't really enamored with Wilson then of course its a completely different story. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I certainly have some problems with Douglas. You know this Value System that Ozzie had worked bc it was Ozzie and players were put in a great position to succeed yearly. Trade Downs always worked for them.

Just Because it worked for Ozzie doesn’t mean it will work here especially with the offensive line we currently have.

• Post of the Week 1
11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So about this scenario, the teams most likely to draft a QB would be Atlanta at 4 and Philadelphia at 6. 

I'm not sure Atlanta is going QB. Matt Ryan can still play and cutting him before 2024 would result in a significant cap hit: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/matt-ryan-3983/

Falcons could easily draft Pitts. Ryan's targets next year would then be Julio Jones, Pitts and Calvin Ridley (that's a hell of a set of weapons). 

Eagles are picking a QB no matter what they say at 6. If Carolina is going to jump up for Wilson at 2 and the Jets would still want to grab Fields, the Jets would have to trade up to 5.

There’s talks about Lance jumping above Fields which we both disagree with. So let’s exclude that.

You really think Philly is taking a QB? Just a gut feeling? 

21 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don;t think the scenario is that the jets love Fields, it is that he ends up being the top rated guy after their trade down.

(In which case for me, I'd trade down again)

If the Watson thing has stopped Carolina going there then I think they are the most likely trade down target.

• Upvote 2

It’s funny the posters think they know what Douglas will do because he did it ONCE before.  Amazing.  If Douglas trades back I think it’s likely he will take a stud OL, like Rashawn Slater.  There is no way he’s going to battle this season with Lewis and Rotten.  With the extra picks he desperately needs corners (Newsome II) and more receivers.

The Raiders are still in cap hell and will likely have to get rid of Mariotta.  If Douglas can sign Marcus, he will likely feel a lot safer about not relying on Darnold for the season.

• Upvote 3

This is actually a very interesting theory, especially because having Darnold and leaking their love affair for him provides them an easy chance to trade down.  A team like the Panthers (as you mentioned) could be the target because that team is fully set up to be a vertical passing team, as both Moore and Anderson can be vertical threats.  Add a speed guy in the draft, and that's a dangerous offense.  

The big issue would be the value of the trade, because I don't think Fields makes it to 8.  I think Atlanta pounces on him, or Denver trades up from 9.  So the only way this would work is:

1) They legitimately feel Darnold at QB is perfectly fine

2) They have Wilson/Fields/Lance/Jones and whoever else ranked in similar areas.  

Although, this is pretty interesting, makes me wonder about their options.  Draft can't get here fast enough

• Upvote 1