This makes me wonder. Seriously. JetPress: 5 players the team could have drafted instead of James Morgan

Three WRs... all would have been better picks.  Oh well.

I'm giving Joe a mulligan for now on this one, but we really need to see at least 2 or 3 of those 5 picks taken in Rounds 3, 4 last year turn into starters or major contributors - Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga (DE - a 2021 need position), La'Michal Perine, Cameron Clark (OG - a 2021 need position again), James Morgan.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm giving Joe a mulligan for now on this one, but we really need to see at least 2 or 3 of those 5 picks taken in Rounds 3, 4 last year turn into starters or major contributors - Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga (DE - a 2021 need position), La'Michal Perrine, Cameron Clark (OG - a 2021 need position again), James Morgan.

Ashtyn is the least inspirational pick I can point to from that draft. I was psyched and then he felt like Gholston 2.0. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm giving Joe a mulligan for now on this one, but we really need to see at least 2 or 3 of those 5 picks taken in Rounds 3, 4 last year turn into starters or major contributors - Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga (DE - a 2021 need position), La'Michal Perine, Cameron Clark (OG - a 2021 need position again), James Morgan.

Until the QB is needed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

What does it make you wonder?   Why other teams blogs don't write these articles because this type of article could be written for every team for every draft?

Makes me wonder if we have our guy already. Wilson has no better arm, just a slightly better college name. 

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What does it make you wonder?   Why other teams blogs don't write these articles because this type of article could be written for every team for every draft?

Other teams wins games and make the playoffs. The Jets don’t. The Jets picking punters and emergency QBs while sporting the worst roster in the league is basically trying to be bad.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

For once in this teams history, maybe it did the right thing and let it’s guy sit and learn and just get a feel for the flow. Brady didn’t start. 

This silly narrative needs to stop. 

There was 1 Tom Brady. 

For every Tom Brady there are 100s of failed late round QBs. 

For every Kittle or Tyreek or late round super star there are 1000s of failed late round picks. 

It’s a silly tired rationale for picking Morgan with all the other needs on this team. 

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm not delusional enough to think that James Morgan will turn into another Tom Brady, but he can certainly develop into a long time back up, which would be acceptable for a 4th round pick. 

Yeah, you can do this with any pick any year. Obviously there's going to be people you wish you took instead. I was disturbed by the fact they barely even let him dress last year cause I would have liked to see him play a bit in a dumpster fire year with nothing to lose. Not really a bad pick though if we get a cheap reliable backup for a 4th. Hopefully he shows something at some point so we can flip him, if not whatever. I don't think it was that bad

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

F*cking everyone on the forum was calling for us to double down at WR.

But still can't criticise Dollar Store Douglas. Not until they all turn, and they will turn. 

The Perine pick was even worse. You never pick a running back with such a low ceiling - You can pick up backs like that literally anytime you want. 

I've talked about this before but it seems JD stuck to his value chart and took that player instead of wavering from his philosophy to go after another rookie WR. It may have been a mistake, we'll see how Morgan develops. It's easy in hindsight to say that NOT doubling up on WR was a mistake. However, nobody thought so many guys would get hurt, including Mims and the UDFA Cager, in who JD seemed to get a gem. And even then, you have to consider other factors in why the offense stunk. Even at full strength at the WR position- Mims, Perriman, Crowder- Gase did not put together an innovative offense that utilized these guys to the best of their ability and Darnold did not execute said scheme. Had they did, JD passing on a 2nd WR in the draft would be an afterthought.  

Also it's easy in hindsight to point out how the Morgan pick may have been foolish now that we are about to draft a FQB. However, had we been sitting in a position where Darnold stunk it up all season and the Jets won 8 games and are now out of position to draft a QB, everyone would be talking about can Morgan be a potential starter and how nice it is that we at least have a young, developmental QB to push Darnold or an incoming vet (and don't have to draft Mac Jones with our first round pick).   

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Ashtyn is the least inspirational pick I can point to from that draft. I was psyched and then he felt like Gholston 2.0. 

Davis did not bother me at all.  In fact I thought it was a harbinger of good things to come from our GM.  He had fallen a full round from where he was rated.  He was clearly the BAP.  I did think it was odd that we played him at free safety.  He is a strong safety.  While he has excellent speed, he is a hitter.  There was no evidence that I could see that he was the centerfielder that you need to be at free safety. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It's also a silly tired rationale to go back in hindsight and suggest your team's GM should have taken 1 player over another player who ended up going later in the draft and playing well. 

It's also a silly tired rationale for passing judgement on an NFL player after one season where he doesn't even play. 

It's also a silly tired rationale to assume every prospect on every team in every system and situation will benefit the most by playing immediately and not sitting a year to learn. 

Look, I'm not saying Morgan will be the next Tom Brady. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice to end up with Gabriel Davis or Snead or Mooney or Peoples-Jones. I'm just saying its too early to judge Morgan and so its too early to judge JD on his pick. Most likely it won't turn out like Davis or Snead or Mooney or Peoples-Jones. But if we take a QB at #2 and Morgan turns heads when he finally gets a shot to play, JD might flip him for a 3rd or 2nd rounder and it will be a net positive. At worst, right now he is a young QB to push whoever is ahead on the depth chart.  

I agree on part of what you’re saying. 

You can’t go back and cherry pick all the stars and say “we shoulda taken dat guy!”  Thats 20-20 hindsight of the worst kind.

But James Morgan was a massive waste of draft capital. 

A fourth round pick in the HOPES that he develops into a serviceable backup QB is a waste. 

Would have preferred a serviceable backup Guard or Tackle or CB or Safety or special teamer. 

I don’t think Morgan ever sees the field in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I love JD but this pick was unforgivable. 

Gross negligence. 

And I don’t give a half baked crap that “Belichik” was eyeing him. I wish we had left him on the board for Belli, would have been another failed draft pick. 

I see no evidence that he is good or not good.  I see a redshirted season.  Perhaps he will win the backup job from whomever we sign to compete.  If not, then it is a swing and a miss.  Personally, I would have grabbed one of the "guard only" types starting grades in addition to Clark who has inside-out versatility in the league.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I've talked about this before but it seems JD stuck to his value chart and took that player instead of wavering from his philosophy to go after another rookie WR. It may have been a mistake, we'll see how Morgan develops. It's easy in hindsight to say that NOT doubling up on WR was a mistake. However, nobody thought so many guys would get hurt, including Mims and the UDFA Cager, in who JD seemed to get a gem. And even then, you have to consider other factors in why the offense stunk. Even at full strength at the WR position- Mims, Perriman, Crowder- Gase did not put together an innovative offense that utilized these guys to the best of their ability and Darnold did not execute said scheme. Had they did, JD passing on a 2nd WR in the draft would be an afterthought.  

Also it's easy in hindsight to point out how the Morgan pick may have been foolish now that we are about to draft a FQB. However, had we been sitting in a position where Darnold stunk it up all season and the Jets won 8 games and are now out of position to draft a QB, everyone would be talking about can Morgan be a potential starter and how nice it is that we at least have a young, developmental QB to push Darnold or an incoming vet (and don't have to draft Mac Jones with our first round pick).   

This is a good post and a good point.  He was ranked where we took him.  Ourlads gave him a 4th round grade and we DID need another QB.  See Ourlads draft guide on the Jets draft table (and the Rams too).

guide-draft-2017-LAR-NYJ.jpg

• Upvote 2