This makes me wonder. Seriously. JetPress: 5 players the team could have drafted instead of James Morgan

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I love JD but this pick was unforgivable. 

Gross negligence. 

And I don’t give a half baked crap that “Belichik” was eyeing him. I wish we had left him on the board for Belli, would have been another failed draft pick. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we had heard one good thing about Morgan and if we had seen him steadily move up the depth chart ad the year wore on the pick would be semi defensible.

Awful pick, awful 4th round.

Have you forgotten who was runningthe ship last year ???

I want to see the kid before banishing to bustland. Although that doesnt sound too bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I've talked about this before but it seems JD stuck to his value chart and took that player instead of wavering from his philosophy to go after another rookie WR. It may have been a mistake, we'll see how Morgan develops. It's easy in hindsight to say that NOT doubling up on WR was a mistake. However, nobody thought so many guys would get hurt, including Mims and the UDFA Cager, in who JD seemed to get a gem. And even then, you have to consider other factors in why the offense stunk. Even at full strength at the WR position- Mims, Perriman, Crowder- Gase did not put together an innovative offense that utilized these guys to the best of their ability and Darnold did not execute said scheme. Had they did, JD passing on a 2nd WR in the draft would be an afterthought.  

Also it's easy in hindsight to point out how the Morgan pick may have been foolish now that we are about to draft a FQB. However, had we been sitting in a position where Darnold stunk it up all season and the Jets won 8 games and are now out of position to draft a QB, everyone would be talking about can Morgan be a potential starter and how nice it is that we at least have a young, developmental QB to push Darnold or an incoming vet (and don't have to draft Mac Jones with our first round pick).   

Everyone saw Perriman getting hurt.

Injuries are inevitable. They’ll be inevitable this year when Braxton Berrios ends up starting more games because we decide to cut Crowder to save $10m.

The Jets did not have the luxury of being able to select a project QB who’s an extreme long shot to work out. We had to see what our young QB could do and we put him in the worst situation in football. Trash move. Stop defending it.

• Sympathy 1

Are we really getting upset over one pick in the fourth round at a position of need? As others have pointed out, many things impacted the offense in 2020:

1. Adam Gase

2. Injuries: WR and Oline

3. The reduced off-season/covid with many changes for both groups.

Whether you like or dislike what JD has done in his first off-season, we need to give this time to play out before passing judgement. Another season will give us more information to make an informed analysis.  I'm more interested in what Clarke can do than Morgan.  I viewed Morgan as a developmental backup with upside.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, clayton163v said:

This is a good post and a good point.  He was ranked where we took him.  Ourlads gave him a 4th round grade and we DID need another QB.  See Ourlads draft guide on the Jets draft table (and the Rams too).

guide-draft-2017-LAR-NYJ.jpg

In the latest Ourlads mock they had Wilson going 19th and jones the second qb off the board at 8th.

I know that's not the way it's going to happen but it does make you think why they have it so different to everyone else.

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

It wasn’t just Morgan 

Davis, Zuniga, Perrine, Morgan is an idzick like pile of trash

Davis sucked and Zuniga looks slow so that 3rd round ain’t looking good.  I think Perine is a jag rb who can catch, and that’s really ok for where they took him.  It’s better than using a very high pick on a rb or paying one a lot in FA.

I was shouting for Darnell Mooney throughout rounds 3 and 4, but this thread is pointless.

Morgan hasn't played a down yet (he was never likely to last year, as a developmental QB picked in a year with a limited preseason and no preseason games).

We have no certainty at the QB position, so hard to kill the GM for taking a mid-round flyer, using a bonus pick he acquired in a previous trade down, on a QB he likes.

Let's see the guy take some snaps in preseason at least, before we write his career off.

• Upvote 1

The entire draft was a head scratcher outside of Becton.  I loved that we landed Mims where and how we did but that was luck, there is no way JD knew Mims was going to be the 14th WR taken.  The 3rd and 4th rounds were just simply baffling.  The amount of OL and WR talent that he passed on for injury riddle college careers and dudes who may never play down was scary.

The big challenge for me is that clear and obvious lack of OL pipeline and JD supposedly being an expert in that category.  Quite frankly, Douglas had the chance to literally, rebuild the entire thing if not at last 3 of the 5 positions.  For an OL guy, he could have literally reworked it all in 3rd RD.  Lewis, Hennessey, Cushenberry, Kindley.  He just rebuilt the entire left side of the line with starters in 1 draft.  How much better off is this team in that scenario rather than having Davis and Zuniga?

And this is why I've been advocating trading picks for Watson.  Doesnt matter who this team team hires, drafting is just a nightmare, all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I used to make a list of the 5 girls I could of married instead of my wife.  It’s best to just let some things go and move on. 

This post had my wife in tears! Little did she know I was rolling through the list in my mind simultaneously 

Marching World War Ii GIF by US National Archives

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, QB1 said:

It wasn’t just Morgan 

Davis, Zuniga, Perrine, Morgan is an idzick like pile of trash

This 

Many here make the excuse that “this was Douglas first draft” fair but my thing is didn’t this guy come from a scouting background? As it stands right now overall Joe Douglas first draft class blows chucks and we should honestly be all a little concerned.

Im not saying this draft class should’ve came in and instantly become world beaters but come on a few of these dudes couldn’t even make the depth chart. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Three WRs... all would have been better picks.  Oh well.

I'm giving Joe a mulligan for now on this one, but we really need to see at least 2 or 3 of those 5 picks taken in Rounds 3, 4 last year turn into starters or major contributors - Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga (DE - a 2021 need position), La'Michal Perine, Cameron Clark (OG - a 2021 need position again), James Morgan.

You're being absurd Jetstream. Joe Douglas yielded 4 starters from the draft. That's called mission accomplished. 

• Haha 1

Here’s a fun exercise: look back at the last 20 Jets drafts and see who we could have taken in each round instead of who we took. Have a trash can nearby to collect all the vomit.

When you’re done with this, do the same for every other team. Have some tissues nearby cause you’ll be crying from laughing so hard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

This 

Many here make the excuse that “this was Douglas first draft” fair but my thing is didn’t this guy come from a scouting background? As it stands right now overall Joe Douglas first draft class blows chucks and we should honestly be all a little concerned.

Im not saying this draft class should’ve came in and instantly become world beaters but come on a few of these dudes couldn’t even make the depth chart. 

Can you, for the LOVE of god, go quietly (EMPHASIS QUIETELY) into the night?

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The entire draft was a head scratcher outside of Becton.  I loved that we landed Mims where and how we did but that was luck, there is no way JD knew Mims was going to be the 14th WR taken.  The 3rd and 4th rounds were just simply baffling.  The amount of OL and WR talent that he passed on for injury riddle college careers and dudes who may never play down was scary.

The big challenge for me is that clear and obvious lack of OL pipeline and JD supposedly being an expert in that category.  Quite frankly, Douglas had the chance to literally, rebuild the entire thing if not at last 3 of the 5 positions.  For an OL guy, he could have literally reworked it all in 3rd RD.  Lewis, Hennessey, Cushenberry, Kindley.  He just rebuilt the entire left side of the line with starters in 1 draft.  How much better off is this team in that scenario rather than having Davis and Zuniga?

And this is why I've been advocating trading picks for Watson.  Doesnt matter who this team team hires, drafting is just a nightmare, all the time.

No....no it wasn't.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If we had heard one good thing about Morgan and if we had seen him steadily move up the depth chart ad the year wore on the pick would be semi defensible.

Awful pick, awful 4th round.

I’m a Douglas fan but I agree with this. It was a head scratcher at the time and given the turmoil we had at QB the fact that he didn’t sniff the field was alarming. It appears to have been an awful pick. Nothing wrong with just acknowledging it.