I was hoping for at least one decent OL...

2 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

A guard, a tackle, even a center, but we signed some bum from the Chargers who was terrible for them. Our OL will continue to suck unless we draft a couple of impact OL, but even if they're good I just dont put a lot of faith in rookies. 

Jon the Sewell train.  All aboard.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Slikmojet! said:

A guard, a tackle, even a center, but we signed some bum from the Chargers who was terrible for them. Our OL will continue to suck unless we draft a couple of impact OL, but even if they're good I just dont put a lot of faith in rookies. 

Stay positive.

We still have the Draft.

worst-tattoo-fails-14.jpg.6d524da6100cce5ec9a6e6432549559c.jpg

• Haha 4

I would have liked 1 premium OL too, however, I think I may be the only person on the board to believe our OL even left unchanged will be a much better unit in 2021. My reasoning:

2018: OL was bad, but not historically bad. The scheme helped poor talent upfront.

2019: Same players, new coaching/scheme got worse. The play upfront got worse.

2020:

5 new starters.

No time to gel due to covid.

Frequent injuries .

Frank Gore was the focal point if our offense.

Sam at times made it more difficult by not getting the ball out on time when the opportunities were there. He did bail them out with his athleticism though, so this is a wash.

The unit started awful, but I saw improvement as the year went on. Unfortunately, as the OL improved Sam didn't.  He still was operating faster than he needed too.

2021 outlook:

New coach/scheme similar to Sam's first year. This will help Sam or Rookie be more decisive in getting the ball out more timely. The scheme will cover up some warts in the OL.

The players are more talented and a better fit for this scheme than the 2018 unit. I know, not the greatest of benchmarks, lol.

We also, have better blocking at the WR position, and Frank Gore won't be the focal point. YPC of our backs will improve, which will help our passing game.

The improved training staff. (Hopefully).

I'm not advocating to stand pat. I would add two OL in the draft, including 1 in our top 3 picks. I think without any changes the unit could be a "C" Level unit, or somewhere in the 15-20th range if they remain healthy. This isn't what you're striving to be, but I believe it would still be better than anything we've seen in the last 3 years. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Free agency isn't over yet, and there will still be allot of cuts made.

Joe Douglas is in good position to sign more players.

Joe Douglas has a ton of draft capital.

Joe Douglas will be able to lock up guys or free up cap space as necessary.

The offense line will be addressed.

There is no game this week.

G/C Feeney has played in like 60 games and would not have had that much exp. for the Chargers if he was that bad.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

G/C Feeney has played in like 60 games and would not have had that much exp. for the Chargers if he was that bad.

I didn't say he was bad, I think it's a decent signing.

Joe Douglas is and will continue to address the O line. He knows we need starters and backups. 

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I'm feeling plagiarized, lol. 

douglas seems to be signing players that are still on the rise.  this edge rusher they just brought has been getting better each season and he started out being a third or fourth round draft pick.   he seems to be looking for the next demario davis as opposed to getting these expensive name guys that lie down like trumaine.  i'm not worried about the oline although they need to use some draft capital on one or more.  clark may still be the guy.  he may be the next rt.  and the oline really suffered by not being able to play together throughout the season.  they could field the same guy as last season after good training camp and they'd look much better.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-nfl-free-agents-remaining-2021-nfl-free-agency

1 hour ago, Jdub03 said:

I would have liked 1 premium OL too, however, I think I may be the only person on the board to believe our OL even left unchanged will be a much better unit in 2021. My reasoning:

2018: OL was bad, but not historically bad. The scheme helped poor talent upfront.

2019: Same players, new coaching/scheme got worse. The play upfront got worse.

2020:

5 new starters.

No time to gel due to covid.

Frequent injuries .

Frank Gore was the focal point if our offense.

Sam at times made it more difficult by not getting the ball out on time when the opportunities were there. He did bail them out with his athleticism though, so this is a wash.

The unit started awful, but I saw improvement as the year went on. Unfortunately, as the OL improved Sam didn't.  He still was operating faster than he needed too.

2021 outlook:

New coach/scheme similar to Sam's first year. This will help Sam or Rookie be more decisive in getting the ball out more timely. The scheme will cover up some warts in the OL.

The players are more talented and a better fit for this scheme than the 2018 unit. I know, not the greatest of benchmarks, lol.

We also, have better blocking at the WR position, and Frank Gore won't be the focal point. YPC of our backs will improve, which will help our passing game.

The improved training staff. (Hopefully).

I'm not advocating to stand pat. I would add two OL in the draft, including 1 in our top 3 picks. I think without any changes the unit could be a "C" Level unit, or somewhere in the 15-20th range if they remain healthy. This isn't what you're striving to be, but I believe it would still be better than anything we've seen in the last 3 years. 

Welcome to the board. Strong post! Way to provide a 30,000 ft. evaluation. We have tools to work with….. as long as ‘20 OL selection comes to play this year and Fant ready to play for next contract. Grabbing 2 starting WR and Edge in FA allows JD to go Center/RT with either 23, 34 or two 3rd round picks. 

• Upvote 1

bottom line is Joe Douglas was brutally honest about who he is. He believes in using the draft and nothing is going to sway him from doing just that. I never thought he'd be big in free agency, but he went exactly according to what I thought. TWO big contracts and just about everything afterwards is second and third string players.

31 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thanks for adding that list. Two guys jump out to me. 1) Clowney 2) Xavier Rhodes. Think both could play the spot that they were looking for Keanu to play. Have been saying for awhile in other threads that I have a gut feeling that Clowney may end up here.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Thanks for adding that list. Two guys jump out to me. 1) Clowney 2) Xavier Rhodes. Think both could play the spot that they were looking for Keanu to play. Have been saying for awhile in other threads that I have a gut feeling that Clowney may end up here.

Clowney has been playing on 1 yr. deal the past 3 years IIRC. Three things may play in our favor….. with Lawson & QW lining up on one side of the ball, that leaves Clowney 1:1 off the edge. We have the cap space to add him and he’s looking to cash in next year on a deal. He needs a lot of sacks and pressure this year. He will start day 1 and will have plenty of opportunities to rush the passer with our stout run defense and being on the field for more snaps than many other teams. Just turned 28 last month. He always played with a high motor. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Clowney has been playing on 1 yr. deal the past 3 years IIRC. Three things may play in our favor….. with Lawson & QW lining up on one side of the ball, that leaves Clowney 1:1 off the edge. We have the cap space to add him and he’s looking to cash in next year on a deal. He needs a lot of sacks and pressure this year. He will start day 1 and will have plenty of opportunities to rush the passer with our stout run defense and being on the field for more snaps than many other teams. Just turned 28 last month. He always played with a high motor. 

Totally agree. I really think he would be a huge addition to this team. It would also let JD just use the majority of our draft on the offense. Every day it becomes clearer, at least to me, that he may have 5-8 OL in the top 30 guys on his board. Would be shocked if we don't take 2 OL with our first 3 picks.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

bottom line is Joe Douglas was brutally honest about who he is. He believes in using the draft and nothing is going to sway him from doing just that. I never thought he'd be big in free agency, but he went exactly according to what I thought. TWO big contracts and just about everything afterwards is second and third string players.

Makes sense....have a ton of cap space and use it for a bunch of bums who hopefully pan out.  If they got cut and are getting resigned for a couple of million there is a reason why he got kicked to the street. If we didn't have the cap space that would be a different story. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

if we would of signed Cory Lindsley this would be a playoff team SMDH

Again, cool take bro but here’s the facts. We did zero, zero to address our garbage o line. Anyone who thinks it’s all Gona get fixed in the draft is vaping some ilegal stuff