3 Things Jets fans don't really want to think about

Alka

We've talked about these things, but most Jets fans as I can tell don't really want to think about it too much:

1.  Darnold leaving the Jets to another AFC team and having tremendous success.

Personally, I would prefer to see Darnold fail next year on the Jets than I would have him go to another team, take them to the playoffs and to a Super Bowl.  Yeah, not going to happen will be most replies!  I don't buy it.  With a garbage offense and garbage offensive line, no one could possibly succeed.  Give peace a chance.  More importantly, give Darnold a chance.

2. Was Todd Bowles really a lousy head coach, or did the organization let him down?

Todd Bowles defense just finished dismantling the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl, and it seems like a real possibility that he will and should be considered for a future head coaching gig.  When Bowles first came over to the Jets, I was elated.  Noted as a strong defensive coach, a local product of Elizabeth, NJ, I felt that he was what the Jets really needed.  Well, the team sucked under his tenure, and he looked inept in every way possible.  Now, I'm not very confident as I once was, that Todd Bowles was a sh*tty coach.  I wish we could fire the Johnsons' and get a new owner, as many others wish.

3. Mahomes, the best QB in the league, with a depleted offensive line, was running for his life in the Super Bowl.  He looked no better than Sam Darnold, when he is getting no protection and getting hit as much as he did.

Perhaps the Jets need to upgrade the Offensive line, and give Darnold a chance?  Many of you want Darnold gone, just like you wanted Bowles gone, just like you wanted Gase gone (I wanted Gase gone too!), but maybe it is the organization that needs to be repaired, and we need to give our new head coach and GM more time to fix the problem and not 86 Darnold like we 86 everything else on the Jets because the organization sucks, maybe not the individuals that must operate under this ownership and past GM's who should have never been hired to run this team.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2

I'm a Darnold guy, but come on, based on what you've seen so far so you really think he is going to take any team to the Super Bowl? Only chance is if he has a very stacked team and has a Dilfer/Sanchez kind of role. I think Sam can potentially become an above average starting qb but he's not carrying any team to a super bowl

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I fear none of these things

I actually like reading your posts and your threads.  I have a question for you:  "Were you around for John Riggings?"

I was, and I was sick to my stomach when the Jets just let him walk and go to the Washington Redskins and be the hero of the Super Bowl for them.  

I have never forgotten it, and it still bothers me.  

Do you know what else bothers me?

Every other Jets player that goes to another team and helps that team go to a Super Bowl and help them win a Super Bowl.  It makes me depressed.

I tell people when I gamble or invest in the stock market:  It would bother me more to make a risky investment and lose $2,500.00, then the joy I would have to make a risky investment and make $3,500.00

That's just me, I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

We've talked about these things, but most Jets fans as I can tell don't really want to think about it too much:

Personally, I would prefer to see Darnold fail next year on the Jets than I would have him go to another team, take them to the playoffs and to a Super Bowl.  Yeah, not going to happen will be most replies!  I don't buy it.  With a garbage offense and garbage offensive line, no one could possibly succeed.  Give peace a chance.  More importantly, give Darnold a chance.

2. Was Todd Bowles really a lousy head coach, or did the organization let him down?

Todd Bowles defense just finished dismantling the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl, and it seems like a real possibility that he will and should be considered for a future head coaching gig.  When Bowles first came over to the Jets, I was elated.  Noted as a strong defensive coach, a local product of Elizabeth, NJ, I felt that he was what the Jets really needed.  Well, the team sucked under his tenure, and he looked inept in every way possible.  Now, I'm not very confident as I once was, that Todd Bowles was a sh*tty coach.  I wish we could fire the Johnsons' and get a new owner, as many others wish.

3. Mahomes, the best QB in the league, with a depleted offensive line, was running for his life in the Super Bowl.  He looked no better than Sam Darnold, when he is getting no protection and getting hit as much as he did.

Perhaps the Jets need to upgrade the Offensive line, and give Darnold a chance?  Many of you want Darnold gone, just like you wanted Bowles gone, just like you wanted Gase gone (I wanted Gase gone too!), but maybe it is the organization that needs to be repaired, and we need to give our new head coach and GM more time to fix the problem and not 86 Darnold like we 86 everything else on the Jets because the organization sucks, maybe not the individuals that must operate under this ownership and past GM's who should have never been hired to run this team.

The 4th is this thread.

• Haha 2

On number 1, I agree with you completely. I want to keep Sam and give him the supporting cast he deserves. I still have hope that exactly that happens.

Number 2, not only is Todd Bowles  NOT to blame for ultimately not achieving the SB objective, but neither is Rex Ryan. They were both stuck with a General Manager that sucked. They did NOT have enough talent to work with. 

Number 3, this is really just touching on number one again. Talent matters. The DRAFT matters. OL or having a suitable OL is Football 101. Mike Macagnan either didn't know that or didn't care. That should have told Chris he needed to fire Mac. 

Point is, not only do I think about these issues but every post I write makes these points..

4 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Darnold will be a back up QB within the next two years for some other team.

I could see that. I could also see a trajectory that takes him to Rich Gannon/ Jim Plunkett type career. I don’t see it next year necessarily- but he’s only 23. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

Not really thinking about these but let's have a look. 

Fear of Darnold going to a team with a real HC and a real offense and watching him succeed as a FQB is a real thing but unless JD hates all the QB's in this draft and can't  see selecting them over other areas of need, that is the only way I see Darnold sticking on this team. As I have said in other posts,  there just is not enough upside to this as there is for JD drafting a QB and the step forward Darnold  would need to take to justify  keeping him would make the step forward Allen took this past season look like a toddler stumbling around. 

As far as Bowles. I am not at all thinking about him. The guy is a good coordinator and a bad HC. End of story. 

Would Darnold benefit from a better OL or better skill players, yes he would but so would Wilson, Fields, Lance, or whoever we pick so it's  not really a case for keeping Darnold and praying it was just Gase and the crap we put around him.  As I said, the upside is not as good as just drafting a new guy. So many more things can go wrong with keeping Darnold than just starting over.

Don't get me wrong. I actually still believe Darnold can become a good QB but he is out of time here. It is time to look elsewhere. 

The only thing I fear is that the environment around the NYJ makes us repeat the same cycle over and over again - and yet I'll never have the ability to walk away.. 

The drama created by the clickbait media, the armchair GMs and owners that propel the impatience and 'get the bums out of here' mentality as if they have 1/100th of an idea - I honestly do not believe front office staff with choices or coaching staff with experience would ever come here.   You only do because there are only 32 of these jobs, because who would want to deal with the likes of us.

So yeah, my take - the 'fans' make the Jets stink.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Three things Jets fans don't want to think about?

1) The regular season

2) The post season

3) The off-season

Did I miss anything important?

As to your second point.  Todd Bowles was a terrible Head Coach here.  He showed no ability to game plan, or make adjustments.  He was terrible at clock management and pretty much everything else that Head Coaches need to be good at to succeed.  I think he is a very good Defensive Coordinator but that's as far as he goes for now.  I'm not saying he can't succeed as a HC next time.  Belichick certainly failed in CLE and turned it around in NE (with a little help from a lucky draft pick and a lot of cheating perhaps).  But there is no basis, IMO, for thinking Bowles was a hidden gem and the Jets somehow failed him.  He was, without questions, a terrible head coach.  And yet, somehow, we managed to replace him with a far worse one.  Hence, my original points in this post...

"And a lot of chearing perhaps." "Perhaps", lolololololololololol.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Bowles was terrible at assembling a good staff and in game management. He is a good defensive coordinator and a good football coach, just not a good head coach which requires  ceo type leadership abilities. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Cp561 said:

I'm a Darnold guy, but come on, based on what you've seen so far so you really think he is going to take any team to the Super Bowl? Only chance is if he has a very stacked team and has a Dilfer/Sanchez kind of role. I think Sam can potentially become an above average starting qb but he's not carrying any team to a super bowl

Like the one Mahomes went to?? Sam's a good kid I wish him well but it's time to move on..

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I actually like reading your posts and your threads.  I have a question for you:  "Were you around for John Riggings?"

I was, and I was sick to my stomach when the Jets just let him walk and go to the Washington Redskins and be the hero of the Super Bowl for them.  

Every other Jets player that goes to another team and helps that team go to a Super Bowl and help them win a Super Bowl.  It makes me depressed.

I tell people when I gamble or invest in the stock market:  It would bother me more to make a risky investment and lose $2,500.00, then the joy I would have to make a risky investment and make $3,500.00

Your putting a HOF John Riggins on the same level as Sam Darnold?  The worst QB in the NFL.

Riggins was great when he left, Darnold not so much.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, nycdan said:

As to your second point.  Todd Bowles was a terrible Head Coach here.  He showed no ability to game plan, or make adjustments.  He was terrible at clock management and pretty much everything else that Head Coaches need to be good at to succeed.  I think he is a very good Defensive Coordinator but that's as far as he goes for now.  I'm not saying he can't succeed as a HC next time.  Belichick certainly failed in CLE and turned it around in NE (with a little help from a lucky draft pick and a lot of cheating perhaps).  But there is no basis, IMO, for thinking Bowles was a hidden gem and the Jets somehow failed him.  He was, without questions, a terrible head coach.  And yet, somehow, we managed to replace him with a far worse one.  Hence, my original points in this post..

This  ^^^
Bowles picked his coaching staff and they werent great     His adjustments were non existent   His time management brutal.   He was in over his head.

Gase at least could manage the clock without burning all his timeouts though his game planning sucked.

Since the keep Darnold question keeps popping up I did a shallow dive to see if it is possible that their is potential for a Tanehill like rebirth.  
After reviewing his stats under Gase there was regression but his body of work would indicate he was much better than Darnold has ever been to this point in his career.   While we could’ve done more to help him it is time to wish him well and say goodbye.  

92017001-DFC4-454D-8846-7C841D3B3BA2.jpeg

On 3/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, Alka said:

interesting I feel like i want to talk abotu and think about number 3 all the time! yeah 1 I would hate to see and think would happen if he went to a team that gave him some help, number 2, I think Bowles was just a terrible HC. Happens all the time - great coordinator but terrible HC.

NUmber 3 yeah that is the one man! How any jets fan can watch the Superbowl and not make the obvious connection. If mhaomes was on our team he would be in the same spot Darnold it, being said he has no talent etc..But it is obvious that Sam and Mahomes in that situation has talent. He just needs some help. Sam can be great, but at the same time...situatiuon or not you only have so many chances and life is not fair. 

I hope we takes advantage of next year puts this qb question to rest! 

On 3/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Alka said:

Sam Darnold is no John Riggings

• Haha 1