3 Things Jets fans don't really want to think about

Alka

On 3/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, NYJ1 said:

On number 1, I agree with you completely. I want to keep Sam and give him the supporting cast he deserves. I still have hope that exactly that happens.

Number 2, not only is Todd Bowles  NOT to blame for ultimately not achieving the SB objective, but neither is Rex Ryan. They were both stuck with a General Manager that sucked. They did NOT have enough talent to work with. 

Number 3, this is really just touching on number one again. Talent matters. The DRAFT matters. OL or having a suitable OL is Football 101. Mike Macagnan either didn't know that or didn't care. That should have told Chris he needed to fire Mac. 

Point is, not only do I think about these issues but every post I write makes these points..

REX ignored the D.  Had he demanded we draft Russel Wilson we would have had a SB.  BUT he doesn’t even look at offense.  

On 3/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, Cp561 said:

I'm a Darnold guy, but come on, based on what you've seen so far so you really think he is going to take any team to the Super Bowl? Only chance is if he has a very stacked team and has a Dilfer/Sanchez kind of role. I think Sam can potentially become an above average starting qb but he's not carrying any team to a super bowl

No QB, carries a team to the super bowl. What a giant fallacy.

• Thumb Down 1

Three Things Jets Fans Don't Really Want To Think About

1.  The thought of building their hopes up again if they ever draft another QB. If you never draft a guy, they can't let you down. 

2.  Their three Darnold jerseys hanging UP in the wardrobe. They could use them to wash the car, but they are still using their 'Adams 33' jerseys for that. 

3.  Giving up on their elaborate mock drafts where they trade #2 to move down. You can play around on those simulators for hours, dreaming of imaginary scenarios where you pick a tight end and a future first round pick. Sometimes you can screw an imaginary team for a second round pick as well. It's so much more fun that hovering over Zach Wilson and clicking 'DRAFT'. Where is the fun in that? 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I want Darnold to succeed. Why would you wish failure in someone?

Bowles was in over his head BUT a true company man.  Jets gave him shlt to work with.  

Agree on Mahommes. If drafted by the Jets, he would NEVER have sniffed a SB.  

Just my opinion.  

Bowles was in over his head, but quickly was hired as a coordinator. Gase will never sniff a coordinator job. Ever. Tells you about how bad he was, and why evaluating Sam, or Herndon, or any RB we had would be a very difficult task.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Bowles was in over his head, but quickly was hired as a coordinator. Gase will never sniff a coordinator job. Ever. Tells you about how bad he was, and why evaluating Sam, or Herndon, or any RB we had would be a very difficult task.

I admire that Bowles never complained publicly or privately. And yes, GASE is in a league of his own. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This  ^^^
Bowles picked his coaching staff and they werent great     His adjustments were non existent   His time management brutal.   He was in over his head.

Gase at least could manage the clock without burning all his timeouts though his game planning sucked.

Adam gase did nothing better than Bowles 

Except Making excuses for Adam gase, he's world class at that 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I admire that Bowles never complained publicly or privately. And yes, GASE is in a league of his own. 

Obviously he's well liked and his knowledge of defense and how to gameplan was on full display in the Super Bowl. He's a really reserved man, in stark contrast to Rex. Anybody would be considered boring, following Rex. Lol.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, Alka said:

We've talked about these things, but most Jets fans as I can tell don't really want to think about it too much:

1.  Darnold leaving the Jets to another AFC team and having tremendous success.

Personally, I would prefer to see Darnold fail next year on the Jets than I would have him go to another team, take them to the playoffs and to a Super Bowl.  Yeah, not going to happen will be most replies!  I don't buy it.  With a garbage offense and garbage offensive line, no one could possibly succeed.  Give peace a chance.  More importantly, give Darnold a chance.

2. Was Todd Bowles really a lousy head coach, or did the organization let him down?

Todd Bowles defense just finished dismantling the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl, and it seems like a real possibility that he will and should be considered for a future head coaching gig.  When Bowles first came over to the Jets, I was elated.  Noted as a strong defensive coach, a local product of Elizabeth, NJ, I felt that he was what the Jets really needed.  Well, the team sucked under his tenure, and he looked inept in every way possible.  Now, I'm not very confident as I once was, that Todd Bowles was a sh*tty coach.  I wish we could fire the Johnsons' and get a new owner, as many others wish.

3. Mahomes, the best QB in the league, with a depleted offensive line, was running for his life in the Super Bowl.  He looked no better than Sam Darnold, when he is getting no protection and getting hit as much as he did.

Perhaps the Jets need to upgrade the Offensive line, and give Darnold a chance?  Many of you want Darnold gone, just like you wanted Bowles gone, just like you wanted Gase gone (I wanted Gase gone too!), but maybe it is the organization that needs to be repaired, and we need to give our new head coach and GM more time to fix the problem and not 86 Darnold like we 86 everything else on the Jets because the organization sucks, maybe not the individuals that must operate under this ownership and past GM's who should have never been hired to run this team.

I’d like to know who hasn’t been talking about the oline. It seems to me the oline is a talked as being a higher priority than anything else.  I wouldn’t go that far meaning it needs 3 new players but it sure could use one, maybe two.  As for Bowles, I think the Sam. He got a bad shake with Macs stupidity when it came to player evaluation.  He was too much of a players coach for the team the way he let wilky get away with crap.  And I don’t really care much about darnold if he gets traded or cut.  If he is QBs I’ll be pulling for him.  I don’t think most fans care about darnolds future one way or another.

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I’d like to know who hasn’t been talking about the oline. It seems to me the oline is a talked as being a higher priority than anything else.  I wouldn’t go that far meaning it needs 3 new players but it sure could use one, maybe two.  As for Bowles, I think the Sam. He got a bad shake with Macs stupidity when it came to player evaluation.  He was too much of a players coach for the team the way he let wilky get away with crap.  And I don’t really care much about darnold if he gets traded or cut.  If he is QBs I’ll be pulling for him.  I don’t think most fans care about darnolds future one way or another.

You're a better man than I am.  I care very much about Darnold leaving the Jets and taking another team to a Super Bowl.  I guess I'm just a jealous person,.  If Darnold succeeds, I want him to do it with the Jets, not another team.

We've talked about these things, but most Jets fans as I can tell don't really want to think about it too much:

Personally, I would prefer to see Darnold fail next year on the Jets than I would have him go to another team, take them to the playoffs and to a Super Bowl.  Yeah, not going to happen will be most replies!  I don't buy it.  With a garbage offense and garbage offensive line, no one could possibly succeed.  Give peace a chance.  More importantly, give Darnold a chance.

2. Was Todd Bowles really a lousy head coach, or did the organization let him down?

Todd Bowles defense just finished dismantling the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl, and it seems like a real possibility that he will and should be considered for a future head coaching gig.  When Bowles first came over to the Jets, I was elated.  Noted as a strong defensive coach, a local product of Elizabeth, NJ, I felt that he was what the Jets really needed.  Well, the team sucked under his tenure, and he looked inept in every way possible.  Now, I'm not very confident as I once was, that Todd Bowles was a sh*tty coach.  I wish we could fire the Johnsons' and get a new owner, as many others wish.

3. Mahomes, the best QB in the league, with a depleted offensive line, was running for his life in the Super Bowl.  He looked no better than Sam Darnold, when he is getting no protection and getting hit as much as he did.

Perhaps the Jets need to upgrade the Offensive line, and give Darnold a chance?  Many of you want Darnold gone, just like you wanted Bowles gone, just like you wanted Gase gone (I wanted Gase gone too!), but maybe it is the organization that needs to be repaired, and we need to give our new head coach and GM more time to fix the problem and not 86 Darnold like we 86 everything else on the Jets because the organization sucks, maybe not the individuals that must operate under this ownership and past GM's who should have never been hired to run this team.

So what's your excuse when Mims and Crowder were running wide open on many of the evaluated film sessions and Darnold dumps the ball off after he has plenty of time to scan and throw to a wide open receiver? It's a lazy take to think that Sam didn't have a lot of plays last year when he had time to do the right thing and didn't. He did what a lot of broken QBs with happy feet do. I like Sam - it's just the reality and also why he shouldn't be back. If he does light up the league, it won't be next year for another team as he probably wouldn't even be starting unless it's Chicago or if Seattle gets rid of RW.

12 hours ago, Alka said:

You're a better man than I am.  I care very much about Darnold leaving the Jets and taking another team to a Super Bowl.  I guess I'm just a jealous person,.  If Darnold succeeds, I want him to do it with the Jets, not another team.

I’m not better. I’m just being realistic. I think most fans would love to see darnold succeed. Most know about the bad conditions under which he was playing. Others point to how he was an interception machine at usc and aren’t surprised.  We’ll just have to wait and see how things shake out in the next few months.

#1 - Who cares -I honestly couldn't care less once he's off the Jets (although I like him and if anything would like to see him succeed)

#2 - Who cares - Bowles was NOT a lousy coach, he wasn't a great one either.  Mac was the clear problem there.

#3 - Legitimate concern for me - Yet, it's looking like we're about to bring in a rookie QB and have added a #2 WR and haven't upgraded anything else on that horrid offense.  I am concerned that JD doesn't understand this.  It's early so we'll see what the offense looks like opening day to fully comment on this.

On 3/22/2021 at 6:18 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Three Things Jets Fans Don't Really Want To Think About

1.  The thought of building their hopes up again if they ever draft another QB. If you never draft a guy, they can't let you down. 

Yup not gonna lie, There's a part of me that just can't stomach going on the rookie QB rollercoaster again.  

On 3/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, nycdan said:

Three things Jets fans don't want to think about?

1) The regular season

2) The post season

3) The off-season

Did I miss anything important?

As to your second point.  Todd Bowles was a terrible Head Coach here.  He showed no ability to game plan, or make adjustments.  He was terrible at clock management and pretty much everything else that Head Coaches need to be good at to succeed.  I think he is a very good Defensive Coordinator but that's as far as he goes for now.  I'm not saying he can't succeed as a HC next time.  Belichick certainly failed in CLE and turned it around in NE (with a little help from a lucky draft pick and a lot of cheating perhaps).  But there is no basis, IMO, for thinking Bowles was a hidden gem and the Jets somehow failed him.  He was, without questions, a terrible head coach.  And yet, somehow, we managed to replace him with a far worse one.  Hence, my original points in this post...

Why would we fear the post season?  We never reach it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1. Sam Darnold will never lead a team to the Super Bowl. He isn’t secretly awesome. He is what he was in college: a turnover machine.

2. Todd Bowles should have been fired:

2016 - He had no control over the locker room leading to Sheldon vs Marshall ruining the whole season.

2017 - Blew how many 4th quarter leads. His offensive coordinator admitted that he conceded a game against Denver

2018 - Finally fired

Not too mention letting Kacy Rodgers stay ever season as DC plus the rest of the known stuff (time management). He was awful.

3. You can say Patrick Maholmes didn’t look good in the Super Bowl but they were decimated with injuries. Also you don’t get to a Super Bowl without a Patrick Maholmes in the first place. Also Darnold will never be in the same stratosphere as Maholmes.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1