Are You Satisfied with Free Agency Results?

Are you satisfied with Free Agency Results?   

170 members have voted

1. 1. Free Agecncy

• Yes
    • No

I voted Yes.  Very happy with Lawson and Davis.  Good assending players that fit the  systems at a very fair price.  Good job Joe

Have to admit that I am disappointed that the Jets didn't get an IOL.  Before FA started I said G was top priority, and I didn't have a problem over paying for Thuney.  But there was a limit.  I had it at $15M.  I think Joe did too.  He signed for $16M.  Jets probably would have had to go to $18M to get him.  Just WAY to much for a G.  I really can't blame Douglas for passing.  There really wasn't much of an upside after Thuney.

Jets still have some money left, and the ability to create $15M + with cuts etc.  Perhaps another quality G gets cut between now and the draft, FA isn't over yet.

Would also like to see a quality vet CB signed.  Think that will happen.

Right nowI give Joe a B+.  If he comes up with a G it will be an A

• Upvote 2

Grade incomplete.

I like many of the players we have gotten but more work needs to be done.

Disappointed in the the lack of oline as in not getting one of the big fish.

FA always goes hand in hand with the draft for me so Douglas gets his overall grade right after the draft.

• Upvote 2

The strength of this FA seems to be defensively. There's an abundance of good players still on the market, therefore they could be had at market value at best. Offensively everyone's paying a premium. Player this team could use before going into the draft includes...

Jadeveon Clowney

Adoree' Jackson

Richard Sherman 

Brian Poole

Malcom Butler

• Upvote 1

Yes...He has brought in some great pieces, and more 1 year deals.

I would have liked a starting O-lineman, but maybe they are seeing something in Clark?

I imagine we go O-line within the first five draft picks.

We should DEFINITELY still be in the market for a CB.  I bet Richard Sherman plays for us on a one year deal.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You can’t build a team by free agency, you would have thought we’d would have learned that by now. The upcoming draft is where the tire hits the road.

I think the team has with this GM.

A large percentage of Jets fans....not so much.  Many believe winning the headlines during free agency means you win the Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No.

Absolute catastrophe if the plan is to draft a QB.

Inexcusable but not unexpected. Fully expect wemll cut Crowder to make it a bottom five group of WR’s to go with the bottom five line. 

No way we're drafting a QB.

Edit: The Patriots on the other hand!

• Haha 1

I voted no.  Slightly disappointed, but not horrified.  I'm fine with who he signed. But, for the 2nd year in a row I was thinking he'd get one very good OL, even overpaying a bit since they have so much cap space, but he's not done so.  Lynsley was there this year, and McGovern could've been moved to G.

Now, perhaps the plan is to draft two OL early on this year.  I hope so.  A T with the late first and a G or C in the 2nd or 3rd would be nice.  Since he signed two WR, I'm guessing that he won't draft a WR until the 3rd round at the earliest. 

This year's OL will likely be very young and inconsistent or mediocre to bad.  I'm hoping for the former. 

Through today, no.

We did not improve our O-line at all.  The one guy we got is the usual JAG 1-year placeholder/depth.  It remains a major, glaring weakness.  

We made only a minor improvement to out Offensive skill players, signing a #2 WR and a depth guy of no import.  As is, we remain the least talented, least feared WR group in the AFC.

We improved Edge only because we literally had no Edge.  The guy we got, called "elite" by some, is more Leo Williams pre-breakout than elite.  It's TBD if he'll ever be more than a 5 sack a year guy.

Most of what we've signed are 1 year rentals, 5 of 8 signings, and if true to JD form so far, won't account to much of anything but placeholders or depth players.

TLDR, we remain the unquestionably worst, least talented team in the AFC.  

JD has held back a lot of his cap, so maybe he thinks he smarter than everyone else, and will spend it when later Vets get dropped.  Or, worse to consider, we really are as cheap as Bitonti says, and we don't plan to spend it at all.

Future FA aside, JD has staked everything on the draft, a place he's been pretty meh at so far (one can't miss in Becton who crushed in the run and is meh in the passing game and little else so far because of Mims injury and very limited performance so far, he's still quite TBD).

So no, since we're still horrible, I'm not happy.  I won't be happy till we stop being horrible.

Considering the Jets are a two win team who share an unimaginative dreary grey box in the swamplands of New Jersey, we did well landing whom we landed in free agency.  

Along with overspending on free agents, Jets are dependent on drafting well and getting more wins to give us additional appeal to next years crop of free agents.

It's still early in free agency, I want Brian Poole back. The roster depth last year was a mess last year, we need better quality at the back end of the roster, easier said than done.

With the lack of quality O linemen available in free agency, the  interior line gets upgraded in the draft.

• Upvote 1

Slightly disappointed, definitely underwhelming, but not enough for me to turn on JD just yet. The bottom line is that his plan is to build the foundation of this team through the draft. It’s why he held out for the 6th year in his contract. There’s still time, but not addressing the OL is concerning, and would have liked to seen a move for a CB. I like the depth signings like Keelan Cole, but I think ppl are frustrated with the lack of top end talent signed. Coming off of a 2-14 season it would have been more exciting to bring in a name or two but I understand his philosophy. I’m grading him on the draft so if we can’t get some young talent in here through our plethora of picks that’s the moment I will turn on him. For now I’m “wait and see” 

They used free agency pretty much how you should. Players with upside, still young and chances on talented guys who might thrive in different systems or positions. 
I think once you add another rookie class on top it’ll come together pretty well. 

Guard and Corner is where we need the most help. Nothing a draft can’t help with. 

• Upvote 2

A big no

we did not upgrade our big needs sufficiently

line is still trash 

rbs r trash

tes are trash

wrs upgraded but not to the level I hoped - we have no stud wrs a bunch of 3/5s with some two upside

Corners still weak

Tons of one year scrub deals which last year failed miserably 

Although our roster is a bit better vs last year in some areas our division rivals are far superior 

It is up to the draft at this point- joe has the chance to nail it ( unlike last year ) and show he is the right man for the job

Year three 2-4 wins is not acceptable - I don’t want to hear his plan is to suck again this year and to get cap money again

It should be noted I think Joe hit a home run with our coach but without players I feel bad for him

• Upvote 1

I support the approach here.  Not really many realistic misses given where the Jets are and the obstacles they face.  

But I think JD has to put a team that can compete on the field.  As we have seen in prior Jet debacles, if a team has no CBS, or no OL, or both, it can lose all of its games no matter what else it has.   This Jets team is a few injuries away from that, if not already there at CB.

We learned that filling OL is hard in FA.  JD needs to draft it.  He signed 2 WR and has a bunch more on the roster.  If he signs a CB or 2, even stopgaps, and drafts a bunch of OL, this team has a chance to not be an embarrassment.  

3 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I voted no. I just don't think any of these moves really move the needle. Maybe we double our win total from 2 wins to 4. 

We signed a pass rusher who had less sacks the quinnen williams last year. An average number 2 wr. And a special teams gunner. Not exactly exciting moves. 

Don't get me wrong the wr core is improved. But it's an average group at best.

it Just seems like this rebuild will take forever at this rate. JD needs to hit on all these early draft picks for us to be a competitive team in a few years.

JD likes to build slowly. We keep adding those 2 wins per year, in 2026 Jets will be good again!

no.

it's not over yet, but he missed his chance to upgrade the o-line, and there were plenty of options other than thuney/linsley/williams.  the secondary is actually worse today than before free agency started, but there are starters still available at corner and nickel that i assume he'll bring in.  if you want to build through the draft, you should do your best to be able to draft bpa.  if a lineman isn't the bpa in the 1st 2 rounds, hopefully it will be close because our line needs more talent.

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty straight forward.  I always think I'll know the answer to these questions based on the responses in the main threads but then I'm often surprised.  

It’s kind of frustrating the way he’s doing it, especially because we’ve sucked for a decade and deserve to be impatient. Yet, let’s see how it comes together once they play some games. But gun  to head it sorta sucks right now. Haha 

• Upvote 1

every single Darnold proponent should be voting no n this poll.  Zero help on the OL.  Feeney?  LOL.  How do you plan to test out Darnold this season for the final (hopefully) time but still not do everything in your power to protect him?  How, JD?  With a rookie IOL?  Darnold needs the help now, JD. Now. In 2021. Not in 2 years.  

By not bringing in at least one quality OL, that renders free agency a failure in my book.  NVM that Corey Davis, Keelan Cole are nice pieces to compliment some unnamed and unknown WR 1 that we as of yet do not have.  

Thumbs up for Lawson. thumbs down for zero action at corner.  Overall....  I'm sad to vote no in this poll, but that's the vote.

• Upvote 2

No, but I understand why he couldn’t (or chose not to) land a couple of the big fish I wanted, and also that it’s far from over with a lot of talent still out there and not many teams in a position to buy. 

I expect a starting IOL from the draft. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I saw priority as:

1.  Guard or Center

2.  Guard or Center

(Big GAP.)

3.  WR

4.  Guard, Center or RT

5.  CB

6.  DE

QB doesn't appear at all.  Need to see Sam at least one year with a halfway decent oline.

The draft is deep in the OL.  There wasnt a lot available outside of 2 expensive FAs this year.  

Wasnt the smartest use of cap dollars to load up on those positions imo 

15 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No. They didn’t get a HOF QB, 4 number one receivers, a powerback, receiving RB, HOF TE, a new starting Oline, 3 CBs, 5 passrushers or a bunch of big named overpriced players that half fans have heard of so they can feel good when they get up in the morning. 
He’s clearly a failure 

Joe Must Go.  

He used his cap dollars on what 9 players that can help this team perform better and people would have been happier with a big ticket player.

Then will cry that he has to trade down and pass up the big ticket player for more players to help more positions

• Upvote 1

This will be the lowest cap year by miles going forward.  SF and NE outspent us.  Those are two very good organizations.  This years FA's will be bargains relative to next years.  We were in position to overpay slightly to have good players locked up on what will look like reasonable deals next year.  Instead we mostly picked up second tier guys who might have upside.  

You build through the draft and Free agency.  We're not done but so far I don't feel like we improved our roster against anyone else in the division.   I feel like we fell behind NE.  I'm also surprised the Bills were able to get Trubisky for such a low price.  We could have gotten him and traded Sam for a pick.  That gives us more build through the draft while improving our QB at a very low price.  It also would allow us to draft a QB without an awkward situation where Sam is still here competing for the job.  Trubisky could be both a place holder and insurance against another bust.  An extra 2 or 3 gives us a chance for more flexibility in the draft.

• Upvote 1