Are You Satisfied with Free Agency Results?

Are you satisfied with Free Agency Results?   

170 members have voted

1. 1. Free Agecncy

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What part of the 4 sacks would you call elite?

He's a solid player and I'm glad we have him, good signing, I agree - but he's nowhere near "elite" (whatever that means)

He will be another in a long line of Jets rushers that always "almost" get there.  We must lead the league in almost get there guys over the past 20 years.

Did you bother reading his stats?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Did you bother reading his stats?

Of course.  He's a good player and I'm happy to have it.

I guess it depends on our definitions of "elite"   When I think Elite I think of top 3 at their position - maybe top 5.

And I simply don't see him as one of the top 5 best pass rushers in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course.  He's a good player and I'm happy to have it.

I guess it depends on our definitions of "elite"   When I think Elite I think of top 3 at their position - maybe top 5.

And I simply don't see him as one of the top 5 best pass rushers in the NFL.  

It's called.unlocked potential. Let's see if Saleh can elevate his.game slightly. Didn't he lead the league on QB hits?

So far I like what Douglas has done As we all know this team needs multiple upgrades which JD addressed to a certain degree in free agency. Not getting Thuney hurt but can you really blame him for going to Chiefs instead.  if I recall that Saleh really doesn’t blitz much as opposed to Williams so upgrading the line with some pass rushers will also help the secondary. That is not to say that corners need infusion of talent but with the new additions in line it will hide the lack of talent so he might not be prioritizing CB at this time. OLINE needs to be addressed as well in a big way 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You can't count on rookies starting at OL (I mean how many 3rd round guards have we had that can't get on the field or suck when they do) 

Whether our QB is Darnold or a rookie (or whoever) going into the season with our current garbage OL and a first round guard (which may or may not happen) would be criminal.  This was a bottom 5 OL in the league, and it hasn't gotten better.  He's going to likely have to trade for a starter somewhere down the line.  

FA with the OL has been mismanaged, there really is no other way to see it.  And considering that was CLEARLY the most glaring need it is very troublesome.

No, I think you can pretty much count on a rookie starting, especially an IOL guy taken in the first 35 picks. My feeling is that they're almost boxed into taking one there, and that that's okay. 

I don't see the OL as the four alarm fire that a lot of people see it it as, and considered WR to be the biggest need on the team heading into free agency with CB not that far behind. I'm perfectly content right now for Joe Douglas to try to build the team to fit his vision, and clearly that involves a value that he places on a player that he will not go over. I'm glad he didn't offer Thuney a CJ Mosley package. That would've been mismanagement, IMHO. 

There's still a lot of off season left. More than a month of free agency -where the Jets are one of the few remaining players- then the draft, then training camp and teams having to pare down to 53 (or so?) players. You may have to wait all the way until then for a trade when JD offers up a future conditional pick for a starting caliber guard from a team on the verge of cutting him, but more will be done between now and the season opener. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slats said:

No, I think you can pretty much count on a rookie starting, especially an IOL guy taken in the first 35 picks. My feeling is that they're almost boxed into taking one there, and that that's okay. 

I don't see the OL as the four alarm fire that a lot of people see it it as, and considered WR to be the biggest need on the team heading into free agency with CB not that far behind. I'm perfectly content right now for Joe Douglas to try to build the team to fit his vision, and clearly that involves a value that he places on a player that he will not go over. I'm glad he didn't offer Thuney a CJ Mosley package. That would've been mismanagement, IMHO. 

There's still a lot of off season left. More than a month of free agency -where the Jets are one of the few remaining players- then the draft, then training camp and teams having to pare down to 53 (or so?) players. You may have to wait all the way until then for a trade when JD offers up a future conditional pick for a starting caliber guard from a team on the verge of cutting him, but more will be done between now and the season opener. 

Yes, I agree.  23 or 34 will have to start, but guys are talking about 3rd rounders being pegged in at starters.  It's just not the case.  

I am clearly more concerned with OL than you but my reasoning might be a bit different, in that I believe we're almost certainly taking a QB at 2 (and not just throwing Sam to the wolves again this year) 

I am very much of the belief that you have to do everything you can to develop a young QB - and if that means overpaying for OL and offensive weapons than you do it in the short term.  IMO it's the smart way - that in these early years with a #2 overall QB - that developing him should really be the only thing that matters.  Winning is secondary in those first two years.  Develop the QB and you're competitive for 15 years after that.

It's quite clear JD doesn't share that view.  Based on what we're seeing so far, he seems to building a defense first team with offense being mostly an afterthought. and a defense built up front and in the middle. (which is, frankly, mind blowing to me). 

I get it's early - and a lot can change, but so far in FA, it's clear DL is his biggest priority (when it was already the strongest part of the entire team) 

It's like I'm watching the same movie we've seen for the past 25 years.

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I agree.  23 or 34 will have to start, but guys are talking about 3rd rounders being pegged in at starters.  It's just not the case.  

I am clearly more concerned with OL than you but my reasoning might be a bit different, in that I believe we're almost certainly taking a QB at 2 (and not just throwing Sam to the wolves again this year) 

I am very much of the belief that you have to do everything you can to develop a young QB - and if that means overpaying for OL and offensive weapons than you do it in the short term.  IMO it's the smart way - that in these early years with a #2 overall QB - that developing him should really be the only thing that matters.  Winning is secondary in those first two years.  Develop the QB and you're competitive for 15 years after that.

It's quite clear JD doesn't share that view.  Based on what we're seeing so far, he seems to building a defense first team with offense being mostly an afterthought. and a defense built up front and in the middle. (which is, frankly, mind blowing to me). 

I get it's early - and a lot can change, but so far in FA, it's clear DL is his biggest priority (when it was already the strongest part of the entire team) 

It's like I'm watching the same movie we've seen for the past 25 years.

The Jets are shifting from a primarily 3-4 defense to a 4-3, players are needed for such a transition. The team hasn't had an Edge since forever, and they picked up one of the best on the market. I can't complain about those moves. Like I said, I felt WR was the bigger need, and he added a genuine NFL starter and another solid role player at that position. 

Offensive linemen are getting paid in the NFL, that's why you need to draft and develop them. The thing I'd most love to see is Cameron Clark winning a starting OG job this year. We'll see what happens. But one guy in the top 34 and another in the top 100 or so should represent inexpensive improvements to the OL. 

I've also come to thinking that the Jets will be taking the QB at #2. I'm disappointed that Bill Belichick single-handedly blew up the TE market and that the OL cupboard was pretty bare this year. But we don't need the OL to be fixed in March, we need it fixed by September. Jets are in better position than most teams with their remaining cap room and draft capital to get it done. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are shifting from a primarily 3-4 defense to a 4-3, players are needed for such a transition. The team hasn't had an Edge since forever, and they picked up one of the best on the market. I can't complain about those moves. Like I said, I felt WR was the bigger need, and he added a genuine NFL starter and another solid role player at that position. 

Offensive linemen are getting paid in the NFL, that's why you need to draft and develop them. The thing I'd most love to see is Cameron Clark winning a starting OG job this year. We'll see what happens. But one guy in the top 34 and another in the top 100 or so should represent inexpensive improvements to the OL. 

I've also come to thinking that the Jets will be taking the QB at #2. I'm disappointed that Bill Belichick single-handedly blew up the TE market and that the OL cupboard was pretty bare this year. But we don't need the OL to be fixed in March, we need it fixed by September. Jets are in better position than most teams with their remaining cap room and draft capital to get it done. 

I can say I have no idea what they think the Clark.  It's possible, and I hope it's the case, they believe he's ready to start this year.  If that's the case - the OL is in much better shape than I believe.  

And I do completely agree, I'm giving my assessment of where they are now and how they've navigated FA to date.  There is plenty of time and plenty to be done over the next 5 months.

On 3/21/2021 at 11:55 AM, shuler82 said:

As of today I vote no.

I like the Davis and Lawson signings and the overall philosophy  but they haven’t done enough. At the very least we need to add bodies at OLB, OG, CB and slot CB.

Looking at the depth chart and seeing Cashman, Austin and Lewis/GVR listed as starters puts JD in the position to draft for need at #23/34.  

You can’t build a team on free agency. JD had done a nice job. He had to follow it up with a good draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

You can’t build a team on free agency. JD had done a nice job. He had to follow it up with a good draft.

Joe Douglas' free agency is just like the draft.  More like a redraft.  Garbage picking for leftovers and bargains.  

His hit rate on both the draft and the redraft is low.  Building the right way takes time, I get that.  But only if the guy making the choices is good at his job.  Patience isn't enough.  Eventually some results are necessary.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas' free agency is just like the draft.  More like a redraft.  Garbage picking for leftovers and bargains.  

His hit rate on both the draft and the redraft is low.  Building the right way takes time, I get that.  But only if the guy making the choices is good at his job.  Patience isn't enough.  Eventually some results are necessary.

SAR I

Yeah, loving Adam Gase -at least- had a humor component. 

I think Douglas tried too out smart himself, and we paid a lot of money for players with potential and not proven talent.

Time will tell, I expect they will be average, but Jets fans are used to things not working out. I’m upset he’s not addressed Cornerback. He’s boxing himself in to Q.B, Oline and corner. I’d like him to take a Running back in the first two rounds but I don’t see that happening now.

Plus finally what the fook is Darnold still doing on this team.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

• Haha 1

I mean FA isn’t going to make or break you unless you make an insane overpay. Davis is kind of meh, but the Jets were so bad at receiver you kind of had to do it.

Whats going to make or break Douglas is last years class performing a hell of a lot better than they did last year. Becton not taking himself out of games, Mims actually playing in games, Davis making plays as a safety, and Zuniga not being a ghost. He also needs the 2021 class to be an A. Multiple starters as rookies and obviously getting the QB at two right. Douglas is making a lot of money. This is his draft hell need to knock out of the park. 
Leta have some expectations for once.