Sheldon Rankins Signs 2yr deal with Jets

jwrmo

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Not me, I am aghast the jets have not done anything at CB.  Even more aghast at no oline help.

We needed to solve one of them in FA. 

With all our cap room we needed to nail down one position and hope the draft solved the other. 

Can’t hope the draft solves both in 2021. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Offense is a completely different story but on defense it's all about building around our future NFL superstar;

Quinnen Williams. 

If placing both Lawson at edge rusher DE in a 4-3 and Sheldon Rankins right next to QW @ DT...

will help Quinnen Williams both get after QBs and absolutely demolish the run game up front?

Them moves like this are potentially A+. 

I'm relieved that QW has begun living up to the hype... but lets' remember that superstars aren't build in a day... anyway we've had some decent NTs/DTs over the years -- what we desperately need is that pressure off the edge.... which has eluded us since John Abraham left the building. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Another genius GM stuck in his 9-5 fan site job....shame.

Who judges drafts in year one

The same type of brain dead analysis that lead to some saying QW was a bust and we should trade him for a 3rd.  ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DoubleDecker said:

To be honest, I don't care if this is a really good move or not.  I just want a decent o line besides Dan Feeny.  My focus this offseason is solely on how JD upgrades the offense.  Everything else gets a " cool story" bro reaction.  The Jets will  move as the offense moves in 2021.

And it was written more than a few times and places that there will be a lot of OL help in the draft with only a few expensive options in FA.  As was said about WR.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

...and suppose our D becomes a top tier defense?  Doesn't that automatically improve our Offense simply because they'll have more possessions to work with?    

Draft hard JD. 

Wilson at 2, hope that Vera tucker is there at 23 and then on round 2 take one of the tackles with versatility to stick at G in year 1 (maybe 2) to then take over for Fant on the right side.

Pick up a 3rd round RB maybe Michael Carter and boom, the offense is transformed. 

I think it’s very possible- but it all comes down to this draft.  If the above happens we’re in the playoffs in 2022. 

• Upvote 2

When healthy...Rankins has explosive spin moves in either direction, and can blow up the pocket on his way to the QB.  It could be fun watching Rankins and Q providing an interior pass rush, while Lawson is explosive bringing pressure from the edge.  

Jets may finally have the kind of pass from from the DL, that will allow the back seven to cover and make plays on the ball.   

Rankins may be a calculated risk.  But worth it IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, jwrmo said:

Its about Flexibility in the draft, some of you guys bitch just to bitch you dont get it a team is not built through free agents.

You mean the flexibility where we still don’t have a half decent TE, garbage OL. Still no real WR, and Sam Darnold as our QB? And who’s playing CB? I guess that does make us flexible. 

10 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

For all you 4D chess guys, wouldn't this be a pre-cursor for packaging Q in a deal for Watson?

why not. i dont think QW is going to get what everyone thinks he will in a trade.

alot of you guys with the green color glasses are learning from Sam Darnold that there is a difference between potential and who you are right now.

you hear the NFL experts and GMs tell you Sam is going to be great. its not his fault its was Gase, the OL, the WRs blah blah blah...

yet now you hear from NFL insiders that GMs dont even want to trade a 2nd rd pick for him. that fans are higher on Sam then they are. yeah well maybe if these idiots on TV didnt built Sam up and make us think that we wouldnt. 

GMs dont trade on potential, they trade on who you are now. and Sam is the worst QB in the league.

same with QW.

no hes not the worst, but he is average. he only had 7 sacks last year. those guys are a dime a dozen. now he could be great, but he could be what he is now. an average player. and that his value in a trade...average

so yeah i trade QW in a second for Watson. and im not expecting Houston to take QW in lew of 2 1st rd picks. maybe 1

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

You mean the flexibility where we still don’t have a half decent TE, garbage OL. Still no real WR, and Sam Darnold as our QB? And who’s playing CB? I guess that does make us flexible. 

Herndon is fine.  Was in an insane funk through the first half of the season and worked through it in the second half of the season.  OL will be addressed early in the draft and the WR's are young, explosive and versatile.  The QB will be drafted with the second overall pick and the CB who will play opposite Bryce Hall will be taken within the first 3 picks if they don't sign Adoree Jackson.

11 hours ago, jwrmo said:

Its about Flexibility in the draft, some of you guys bitch just to bitch you dont get it a team is not built through free agents.

yeah but you have to add a really good FA. where is our vet who can still play at a high level to teach us how to win. how to play right? 

and JDs last draft is really suspect. except for Becton the entire draft is a project. i know it takes a few years to see but they all seam to be moving at a snails pace. except for Becton could any of them leave the gate running? 

does anyone see deja vu? im sure alot of you guys were happy with last years WRs and OL after the draft, even if you guys wont admit. it. same as this year, no big names. nothing to get excited about. 

and another bad year.... oh man..we had no weapons, no OL...blah blah blah...

but dont worry, we have a ton of cap space AGAIN, we will fix it. 

i feel like im stuck in Groundhogs day. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I mean, who knows? Could be good....

That looks very Kris Jenkins ..... Hope he can get past the injuries . This is a very good upside signing with incentives so if the guy cant play hes not going to get paid what you think

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Herndon is fine.  Was in an insane funk through the first half of the season and worked through it in the second half of the season.  OL will be addressed early in the draft and the WR's are young, explosive and versatile.  The QB will be drafted with the second overall pick and the CB who will play opposite Bryce Hall will be taken within the first 3 picks if they don't sign Adoree Jackson.

Herndon will be fine Gase ignored the TE's for large stretches some players need to be involved or it hurts their productivity. If Herndon has the ability to become a big part of this offense and I think if the Jets feature him he will produce.

43 minutes ago, doitny said:

why not. i dont think QW is going to get what everyone thinks he will in a trade.

alot of you guys with the green color glasses are learning from Sam Darnold that there is a difference between potential and who you are right now.

you hear the NFL experts and GMs tell you Sam is going to be great. its not his fault its was Gase, the OL, the WRs blah blah blah...

yet now you hear from NFL insiders that GMs dont even want to trade a 2nd rd pick for him. that fans are higher on Sam then they are. yeah well maybe if these idiots on TV didnt built Sam up and make us think that we wouldnt. 

GMs dont trade on potential, they trade on who you are now. and Sam is the worst QB in the league.

same with QW.

no hes not the worst, but he is average. he only had 7 sacks last year. those guys are a dime a dozen. now he could be great, but he could be what he is now. an average player. and that his value in a trade...average

so yeah i trade QW in a second for Watson. and im not expecting Houston to take QW in lew of 2 1st rd picks. maybe 1

QW not the worst but average ? Your Kidding right ? You do realize Williams had those 7 sacks as an interior lineman with no other real pass rush to speak of . Not to mention he was constantly making plays or disrupting plays in the back field. What were you watching last year ? If Rankins comes in healthy we could easily have one of the most disruptive Interior lines in the NFL which not only would disrupt the QB in the pocket but it would also open things up on the outside for our DE's 

When it comes to Sam Darnold Im certainly not a fan but if we draft A guy like Wilson its not a terrible Idea to keep Darnold around for 2 reasons 

1. The competition at the position which the Jets never ever seem to have. 

2. The Possibility (although slim) he was totally mismanaged by Adam Gase and his horrific coaching staff.

Personally I think the Jets were probably getting sh*tty offers for Sam and decided on what I laid out above. 

And FWIW the way things are going now unless there is some inside info we don't know about no one is touching Watson with a 10 foot pole. No One !

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, of course there's a risk, IMO this is a kid you want to bet on.   

He blew his achillies out in Jan of 2019, he played in Sept 2019.  Only a 9 month recovery.  That's very short for an Achillies.  He didn't play at the same level in 2019. 

Last year he actually had a very good year against the run.   He improved as the season went on.  He claims he is now 100%.

IMO, The excellent run defense alone is worth the $8.5M.  If he truley has recovered 100%, and has recovered the burst to pass rush terror from the interior again, that contract is now worth $20M.

Yeah there's some risk, but the upside is tremendous.   I'm good with this contract.

He had pro bowl level talent.  He was starting to do it all.  Stuff the run...rushing and sacking the passer.  All over the field in pursuit.  He even dropped back effectively on occasions in pass coverage!

And then the injuries.    If he's truly 100%...then this is what you get...

Download video

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Herndon will be fine Gase ignored the TE's for large stretches some players need to be involved or it hurts their productivity. If Herndon has the ability to become a big part of this offense and I think if the Jets feature him he will produce.

Absolutely.  Herndon is going to be just fine IMO.

An aspect of Rankins signing that I didn't think of is what
if Saleh is looking to use him as a DE instead of a DT?
Maybe instead of replacing Fatukasi, Rankins is here to
replace Franklin-Myers:

Lawson  Fatukasi  Williams  Rankins

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

An aspect of Rankins signing that I didn't think of is what
if Saleh is looking to use him as a DE instead of a DT?
Maybe instead of replacing Fatukasi, Rankins is here to
replace Franklin-Myers:

Lawson  Fatukasi  Williams  Rankins

Doesn’t Saleh run Wide 9... I don’t think SR has the speed to get to the QB as needed.R has the speed to get to the QB as needed.

I can't help but feel that there is a relevance between what the Jets are trying to build on D and what is written about here:

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-throwback-approach-should-frighten-nfl-five-surprise-free-agent-signing

For the tl;dr brigade ... Pats moves on offense in FA look like they are building an offense where they can flex from smash mouth running game to effective spread out passing game without switching personnel

If the opponents opt for their regular formations with three or four linebackers on the field, the Patriots can spread the field to exploit linebackers tasked with guarding talented tight ends in space. If opposing defenses trot out sub-packages with a bunch of defensive backs on the field, the Pats will tighten up the formation and lean on the power running game. This is the kind of stuff that keeps defensive coordinators up at night -- the thought of trying to defend powers, counters and isolations produced out of myriad two-tight and pseudo two-back formations with a small defensive lineup. Throw in the QB running game with Newton plunging between the tackles on QB powers and read-option plays, and the Patriots can present numerous problems with diverse game plans that feature a mix of college and pro-style concepts.

If they're not switching personnel, it becomes important that you can defend both the run and the pass without subbing in and out. Our D line is being built so that they should be able to do both with the same players - Q and Rankins are both stout against the run and also bring impressive pass rush; they're not one-trick ponies. 

If your D line can defend both run and pass well without additional support / excessive blitzes, it'll have a knock on effect on the 2nd and 3rd level. Your LBs and DBs shouldn't need to cover as long if the pressure is coming from your base 4, and your smaller/ faster LBs shouldn't be getting exposed so much in the running game.

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

So if a sex scandal isn’t enough for you Watson-Illuminati to get the message - how about plain English; we’re NOT trading for Watson. It’s over. Move on. 

Maybe DollarJoe can get him discounted

10 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Just to be clear, real life isn't Madden Football.  And when the last three GM's have produced 1-2 players out of the 30-plus players picked, you won't fill all the positions in a couple of years.  

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Absolutely.  Herndon is going to be just fine IMO.

How can you say this?  He was utter garbage for most of last year.  Flat out dropping passes, fumbling and being terrible has nothing to do with gase.

Can he have a good year?  Yes but you simply cannot assume he will or count on him at all.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How can you say this?  He was utter garbage for most of last year.  Flat out dropping passes, fumbling and being terrible has nothing to do with gase.

Can he have a good year?  Yes but you simply cannot assume he will or count on him at all.

Half a bad season under Adam Gase doesn't negate the player he was in college or as a rookie.  He can play.  He had a bad 8 or 9 game stretch.  That's it.

11 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

That's just it...

This is the same ole Jets.

It seems we're try build a defense in an offensive league.  We brought in a #2 WR, otherwise the offense has not upgraded at all.  Have no worries, I'm sure we'll take a CB at 23.

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I am disappointed.  I had really hoped JD understood that it's an offensive league - and supporting your QB is how you build a sustainable winning team.

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

QW not the worst but average ? Your Kidding right ? You do realize Williams had those 7 sacks as an interior lineman with no other real pass rush to speak of . Not to mention he was constantly making plays or disrupting plays in the back field. What were you watching last year ? If Rankins comes in healthy we could easily have one of the most disruptive Interior lines in the NFL which not only would disrupt the QB in the pocket but it would also open things up on the outside for our DE's 

When it comes to Sam Darnold Im certainly not a fan but if we draft A guy like Wilson its not a terrible Idea to keep Darnold around for 2 reasons 

1. The competition at the position which the Jets never ever seem to have. 

2. The Possibility (although slim) he was totally mismanaged by Adam Gase and his horrific coaching staff.

Personally I think the Jets were probably getting sh*tty offers for Sam and decided on what I laid out above. 

And FWIW the way things are going now unless there is some inside info we don't know about no one is touching Watson with a 10 foot pole. No One !

ok i will up my grade to good. but before you pin any medals to him take a look at this from PFF final pass rush rankings

18. NEW YORK JETS

One of the larger developments in what turned out to be another lost season for the Jets was the progression that 2019 first-round pick Quinnen Williams made in his second year. Williams (39 pressures) along with John Franklin-Myers (51 pressures) provided some push up the middle for New York this season. Still, the highest pass-rushing grade among the three edge defenders to rush the passer 150 or more times in 2020 came from Tarell Basham at just 65.6.

so as you can see he did have help. he ranked 3rd on the jets in QB knockdowns and pressure and 4th in hurries. yes ok he is good. but my point was...hes not....OMG we cant trade him. ... or.. hes worth 2 #1 picks. 

maybe 1 not 2. 

and you cant keep Sam if we draft Wilson. what if Sam beats him out? JD will look like an idiot for wasting the 2OA on him. 

i agree there should be competition, but they have to bring in a 30 plus yr old who knows even if he wins in preseason its Wilson job and he will start sometime during the season no matter what.

yeah Watson is untradeable right now. but maybe by the draft this will cool down, and you can get Watson cheap. for this years 2OA and next year seattle pick. he gets suspended for the year, we still have a bulk of our picks to improve the team and then were all in in 2022. 

18 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

if he stays healthy... D-line is looking strong.

Wow, like how could Minnesota have just cut Elflein like that?

No complaints re: Rankins on this play - of course - but what we're also seeing here is a terrible center who stood himself to straight-up here for his backpedal and got easily off balance. No, this didn't happen to Elflein on every pass-protection snap of his career, so do give Rankins credit, but yeah Elflein sucks.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to be clear, real life isn't Madden Football.  And when the last three GM's have produced 1-2 players out of the 30-plus players picked, you won't fill all the positions in a couple of years.  

Again, no TE, no QB, no OL, no RB and a #2 WR. Is t that what we stayed at 2 years ago? What am I missing?