Why the pick WILL be Wilson...

Dunnie

If JD hitches his train to Darnold ... or anyone else ... and Wilson become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for missing that pick.

It's simply not going to happen.

If there is a QB coming out next year ... that is worth trading beaucoup picks for to move up for as insurance.... maybe.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If JD hitches his train to Darnold ... or anyone else ... and Wilson become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for missing that pick.

If there is a QB coming out next year ... that is worth trading beaucoup picks for to move up for as insurance.... maybe.

d&d nerd GIF

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And if Darnold goes somewhere else, becomes a good QB and Wilson doesn't become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for making that pick.

Or if they both work out no one will give a damn, will actually be glad that he kept the QB and whatever he got in return for the 2nd, picks or player

Its easy to come up with reasons he should go with Wilson and dump Darnold when the hypothetical revolves around Wilson becoming the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees without the thought that the opposite could happen

This is more true than missing out on wilson, if Joe can't evaluate a qb that he has on his roster rather than a guy in the draft it would be more reason the sack him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This is more true than missing out on wilson, if Joe can't evaluate a qb that he has on his roster rather than a guy in the draft it would be more reason the sack him.
I totally agree ... if there is a secret tape showing the invisible good Darnold ... and it's clear he is probably going to be better than Wilson ... I'd like to see it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And if Darnold goes somewhere else, becomes a good QB and Wilson doesn't become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for making that pick.

Or if they both work out no one will give a damn, will actually be glad that he kept the QB and whatever he got in return for the 2nd, picks or player

Its easy to come up with reasons he should go with Wilson and dump Darnold when the hypothetical revolves around Wilson becoming the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees without the thought that the opposite could happen

It's still a safer choice to take Wilson. If he busts, but the rest of the roster is solid, JD has a slight chance of surviving. Very slight, but there's a chance.

If he keeps Sam, and Sam continues to suck while Wilson becomes a top tier QB, JD is finished for sure. There's no forgiving that.

Taking Wilson shows you're at least trying. Keeping Sam is essentially closing your eyes and hoping the problem goes away.

P.S. - Trading for Deshaun is the safest choice. We already KNOW he's good. The only way it fails is if he gets a career-ending injury, or something worse than what he's being accused of comes out and he ends up in prison.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

Its funny that the worse scenario that turns into a fail is the one we dont want to see.  

Want to keep Sam, then taking Wilson and he busts is worse and if you want the other scenario is worse.

Every GM who didnt draft Mahomes, Wilson, Brees, etc etc should have been fired for staying with what they had or for going in another direction?

Either fail will suck, thats the problem JD has to avoid, whichever way he goes

Its not hard to understand

• WTF? 3

28 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

And if he picks Wilson and Fields becomes the next Russel Wilson he’ll be fired. That’s a terrible reason why he has to pick someone. 

• Upvote 2

Personally, I think he keeps Sam and trades down from 2, because that seems like a JD thing to do. 

He likes adding more picks, and he likes hunting for "value" among lesser players. 

I think he'd just about be staring a future HOF'er in the face at #2 and STILL trade down if it meant he got back a late #1 and like 2 2nds. 

Add in the fact that the team is full of holes all over the roster and I think that JD would rather have like 11 or 12 picks instead of a potential franchise QB, great offensive lineman, dominant WR or matchup nightmare TE. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Its funny that the worse scenario that turns into a fail is the one we dont want to see.  
Want to keep Sam, then taking Wilson and he busts is worse and if you want the other scenario is worse.
Every GM who didnt draft Mahomes, Wilson, Brees, etc etc should have been fired for staying with what they had or for going in another direction?
Either fail will suck, thats the problem JD has to avoid, whichever way he goes
Not the same .. Malholmes, Wilson and Brees were not pegged to go in the first 2 picks of the draft ... far from it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

t's still a safer choice to take Wilson. If he busts, but the rest of the roster is solid, JD has a slight chance of surviving. Very slight, but there's a chance.

Theres no safer choice. Its what we want individually and how we justify it.

Hes not necessarily getting axed either way.  GMs miss on QBs, both ways at a high percentage of the time.  Anyone getting fired for Garoppolo?  Anyone getting fired for taking Tua over Herbert?  

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It's still a safer choice to take Wilson. If he busts, but the rest of the roster is solid, JD has a slight chance of surviving. Very slight, but there's a chance.

If he keeps Sam, and Sam continues to suck while Wilson becomes a top tier QB, JD is finished for sure. There's no forgiving that.

Taking Wilson shows you're at least trying. Keeping Sam is essentially closing your eyes and hoping the problem goes away.

P.S. - Trading for Deshaun is the safest choice. We already KNOW he's good. The only way it fails is if he gets a career-ending injury, or something worse than what he's being accused of comes out and he ends up in prison.

I don't  buy any of this. Nobody is judged on one decision.  If we don't  draft Wilson and take Smith instead,  I don't  believe anyone will be disappointed  if Smith becomes the next Jerry Rice, or if he trades down to 8 and drafts Fields or Lance and picks up 2 more first round picks on top of it. 

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Not the same .. Malholmes, Wilson and Brees were not pegged to go in the first 2 picks of the draft ... far from it.

They still missed on their evaluations for the position, who cares what the "experts" said?  The job is supposed to be the GMs eye, not McShay

And all the QBs who go in the top 5 who failed?  How many of those GMs were dumped.  

• Upvote 1

And if Darnold goes somewhere else, becomes a good QB and Wilson doesn't become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for making that pick....
Or if they both work out no one will give a damn, will actually be glad that he kept the QB and whatever he got in return for the 2nd, picks or player....

Extremely unlikely as he has played in the league for three years and been a bottom of the league guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The previous GM passed on Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes to draft a trash safety and it took an all-out coup to unseat him. I think Douglas will be ok if he passes on a tiny, brittle, less masculine James Spader from Pretty In Pink.

I think the headband makes him more Johnny Lawrence in Karate Kid part 1, but to each his own. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Extremely unlikely as he has played in the league for three years and been a bottom of the league guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I get that but hes done this in a league that mostly seems to believe a lot of the why is that he was surrounded by little to no talent and was poorly coached as was the offense.  And with those 3 years hes still only 23

Theres a lot of wiggle room around his evaluation

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The previous GM passed on Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes to draft a trash safety and it took an all-out coup to unseat him. I think Douglas will be ok if he passes on a tiny, brittle, less masculine James Spader from Pretty In Pink.

As all-out coups go, it was hardly on the scale of Napolean using propaganda, bribery and intimidation to galvanise his hand-picked buddies to over-throw the ruling Directory in 1799 and crown himself emperor of France. 

All it took was Adam Gase to walk around Florham Park and realise he was the only alpha male in the building. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

If you believe from your own evaluation that he's the next Stafford / Brees - THAT is why you draft him.

Not because he might look good elsewhere. Not because he's #2 in most mock drafts and you don't want to look like a fool for passing on him.

If you believe in him, you draft him. If not, you don't. And no amount of talking heads should make the blindest bit of difference to this decision.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres no safer choice. Its what we want individually and how we justify it.

Hes not necessarily getting axed either way.  GMs miss on QBs, both ways at a high percentage of the time.  Anyone getting fired for Garoppolo?  Anyone getting fired for taking Tua over Herbert?  

The Niners went to a Super Bowl two years ago with Jimmy G. No offense, but that's a poor example.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  buy any of this. Nobody is judged on one decision.  If we don't  draft Wilson and take Smith instead,  I don't  believe anyone will be disappointed  if Smith becomes the next Jerry Rice, or if he trades down to 8 and drafts Fields or Lance and picks up 2 more first round picks on top of it.

Smith can be Jerry Rice, but if Sam is still not seeing him wide open, then it won't matter. And JD will lose his job because of it.

I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

17 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The Niners went to a Super Bowl two years ago with Jimmy G. No offense, but that's a poor example.

Plus they got him for a 2 and signed him to a front loaded deal when they were absolutely flush with cap space.  They didn't use the 2nd pick in the draft for him.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I totally agree ... if there is a secret tape showing the invisible good Darnold ... and it's clear he is probably going to be better than Wilson ... I'd like to see it.

Yes, it's called Darnold before Gase got his hands on him. Look back at year one with no OL, one NFL caliber receiver, and no running game.

I'm a Darnold fan but admittedly not sold on Darnold as the future, but drafting a rich kid with a history of shoulder issues on his throwing shoulder, when we are so devoid of talent, isn't the answer to me. Give Darnold a year with a real NFL coaching staff and some talent around him, and build up the rest of the team with the picks we could get for #2.

JD isn't getting fired over Darnold or Wilson. He will get fired in a few years if the Jets aren't winning football games and getting into the playoffs. He got a six year contract for a reason, and we are in year two. Maybe in year five, if we still aren't competitive, he might get fired, but it won't be over Zach.

The idea that one draft pick will determine the leadership of the Jet is ludicrous. By that logic every GM in the NFL should have been, and would have been, fired for passing over Tom Brady at least 5 times each. To the best of my recollection, no one got fired for not drafting Brady.

If the Jets pass on Wilson and he turns out to be great, but we are winning games and going to the playoffs, Woody will not care about him, and will not fire JD.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, viffer said:

Yes, it's called Darnold before Gase got his hands on him. Look back at year one with no OL, one NFL caliber receiver, and no running game.

I'm a Darnold fan but admittedly not sold on Darnold as the future, but drafting a rich kid with a history of shoulder issues on his throwing shoulder, when we are so devoid of talent, isn't the answer to me. Give Darnold a year with a real NFL coaching staff and some talent around him, and build up the rest of the team with the picks we could get for #2.

You realize Darnold is now a rich kid.  Anyone we draft at 2 is a rich kid.  I'm not sure why growing up in a solid home with successful role models is a negative?  Seems counter intuitive?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't think you guys get what logic is 

Just a hypothetical here...Let's say somehow Joe Douglas trades back and he selects Penei Sewell. I really don't care where in the first round, but I'm curious where you think Sewell lines up on the offensive line that already has Mekhi Becton on it. Do you move Becton to right tackle, or do you move the rookie Sewell to right tackle?