Why the pick WILL be Wilson...

Dunnie

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Just a hypothetical here...Let's say somehow Joe Douglas trades back and he selects Penei Sewell. I really don't care where in the first round, butd I'm curious where you think Sewell lines up on the offensive line that already has Mekhi Becton on it. Do you move Becton to right tackle, or do you move the rookie Sewell to right tackle? 

I'd move Becton because Sewell is a better pass protector 

I understand that might not be the perfect solution 

Lately I'm dreaming about trade down for slater 

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You realize Darnold is now a rich kid.  Anyone we draft at 2 is a rich kid.  I'm not sure why growing up in a solid home with successful role models is a negative?  Seems counter intuitive?

Two words; Josh Rosen.

I didn't say it was a negative. My point is that he has already had surgery on his throwing shoulder, and since he comes from a family with tons of money, any future injury might lead him to pull an Andrew Luck.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If JD hitches his train to Darnold ... or anyone else ... and Wilson become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for missing that pick.

It's simply not going to happen.

If there is a QB coming out next year ... that is worth trading beaucoup picks for to move up for as insurance.... maybe.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

He's going to be a Jet because you want it and, as Jets fans, we always get what we want, right?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And if Darnold goes somewhere else, becomes a good QB and Wilson doesn't become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for making that pick....

Or if they both work out no one will give a damn, will actually be glad that he kept the QB and whatever he got in return for the 2nd, picks or player....

Its easy to come up with reasons he should go with Wilson and dump Darnold when the hypothetical revolves around Wilson becoming the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees without the thought that the opposite could happen

But Douglas also buys himself more time by taking the Rookie QB whereas sticking with Darnold and risking him being at the bottom of the league in QB Rating for a 3rd consecutive year is pretty much the prototypical “all-in” bet Douglas would be making.  I’m just drawing a hypothetical as to what Douglas might think is best for Joe Douglas.

His predecessor, the totally incompetent Maccagnan, who never would have scored a GM job anywhere else in the NFL made pretty much every gutless move with the thinking being “what can I do here that will limit any finger pointing at Mike Maccagnan”.

I think Douglas has way more confidence in his own ability.  I also think he knows Darnold, at this point, is broken.  He’s either going QB at 2 or trading out to where he knows he’s still taking a QB, I really doubt he’s rolling with Darnold.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Just a hypothetical here...Let's say somehow Joe Douglas trades back and he selects Penei Sewell. I really don't care where in the first round, but I'm curious where you think Sewell lines up on the offensive line that already has Mekhi Becton on it. Do you move Becton to right tackle, or do you move the rookie Sewell to right tackle? 

Sewell is a can’t miss prospect and would of been rated higher than Becton if they were both coming out this year. I would move Becton over to the right side. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, viffer said:

Two words; Josh Rosen.

I didn't say it was a negative. My point is that he has already had surgery on his throwing shoulder, and since he comes from a family with tons of money, any future injury might lead him to pull an Andrew Luck.

We should be so lucky to have a player like Andrew Luck for 6 years.   Sign me up!

39 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Smith can be Jerry Rice, but if Sam is still not seeing him wide open, then it won't matter. And JD will lose his job because of it.

I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

This whole Sam can't  find open receivers started when Gase got here. Nobody was saying this before. Sam was constantly  looking down field as a rookie and that stopped when Gase got here, mostly because Sam was being chased all over the field. In year 3 he was shell shocked and hearing footsteps  where there were none. . 

I also believe  Gase put unwarranted  restrictions  on Sam because Gase doesn't  trust young players

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If JD hitches his train to Darnold ... or anyone else ... and Wilson become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for missing that pick.

If there is a QB coming out next year ... that is worth trading beaucoup picks for to move up for as insurance.... maybe.

Counter Argument:  If JD Drafts Wilson and he doesn;t immediately improve the team, and Darnold AND Fields look better in 2021, JD will also be on the hot-seat just as much.

It's almost like GM's live and die by their choice of QB's......

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This whole Sam can't  find open receivers started when Gase got here. Nobody was saying this before. Sam was constantly  looking down field as a rookie and that stopped when Gase got here, mostly because Sam was being chased all over the field. In year 3 he was shell shocked and hearing footsteps  where there were none. . 

I also believe  Gase put unwarranted  restrictions  on Sam because Gase doesn't  trust young players

You mean like under the age of 35?

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Counter Argument:  If JD Drafts Wilson and he doesn;t immediately improve the team, and Darnold AND Fields look better in 2021, JD will also be on the hot-seat just as much.

It's almost like GM's live and die by their choice of QB's......

I wouldn't worry too much about Darnold looking better than Wilson in 2021. Sam is likely holding a clipboard on the sideline somewhere. No team in the League wants Darnold as their starter, even the impoverished Bears preferred Andy Dalton. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You mean like under the age of 35?

Look at who he brought in as the lead RB. Can you name a game where Mims was featured? Even with Flacco? How long did it take before we started to run plays behind Becton?. Becton was knocking guys all over the field and we did start running behind him until late in the season. All Gase want to do was run Gore between the guards. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

With all due respect, this hasn't been a topic of discussion one single time. It has always been about value: QB Sam Darnold + value of #2 in a trade, or QB #2 + value of Sam Darnold in a trade. I can't say what Douglas thinks about in his private moments, but fear of the player panning out elsewhere if they were to pass on him has not once been a topic of discussion within the Jets front office. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Sewell is a can’t miss prospect and would of been rated higher than Becton if they were both coming out this year. I would move Becton over to the right side. 

My biggest concern with Becton is his availability, so I can see the argument for addressing the offensive line in the first round of the draft. I still hope Joe Douglas can trade back and acquire some more draft capital.

1 hour ago, viffer said:

Yes, it's called Darnold before Gase got his hands on him. Look back at year one with no OL, one NFL caliber receiver, and no running game.

I'm a Darnold fan but admittedly not sold on Darnold as the future, but drafting a rich kid with a history of shoulder issues on his throwing shoulder, when we are so devoid of talent, isn't the answer to me. Give Darnold a year with a real NFL coaching staff and some talent around him, and build up the rest of the team with the picks we could get for #2.

What does that have to do with anything?

The moment they're drafted they're all rich kids.

• Post of the Week 1

I have NO issue drafting Wilson and keeping Darnold.  As long as we add a bit more depth at O-Line and WR .

The thought of Darnold playing, knowing damn well Wilson is here, maybe just the thing we need.

Look at Mahommes when he was rushed etc.  Darnold, with all his faults, is playing against great Defenses with Division 3 Oline talent.  

31 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I wouldn't worry too much about Darnold looking better than Wilson in 2021. Sam is likely holding a clipboard on the sideline somewhere. No team in the League wants Darnold as their starter, even the impoverished Bears preferred Andy Dalton. 

That is pure speculation.  Dalton was signed as an FA.  Darnold would take a draft pick.  I would argue that letting Trubisky go who signed for 2.5 for Dalton at 10 was insanely stupid.  It still has nothing to do with valuing Dalton over Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I'd move Becton because Sewell is a better pass protector 

I understand that might not be the perfect solution 

Lately I'm dreaming about trade down for slater 

Of all the manufactured "problems", the one I least understand is the "OMG HOW CAN WE HAVE TWO GREAT TACKLES!!!  IMPOSSIBRU!!!"

I understand the prioritization argument that QB > Tackle or WR > Tackle, but not the "can't have two great tackles, how could we pay them, which do we move", which to me is just silly.

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, viffer said:

Two words; Josh Rosen.

Holy hell how can you make such a wild prediction..? One that you’d probably have to personally know the guy to even confidently make. You’re sitting here saying he’s going to leave football if he gets a little injured because his uncle owns Jet Blue? 

yeah you guys have officially lost your minds.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Of all the manufactured "problems", the one I least understand is the "OMG HOW CAN WE HAVE TWO GREAT TACKLES!!!  IMPOSSIBRU!!!"

I understand the prioritization argument that QB > Tackle or WR > Tackle, but not the "can't have two great tackles, how could we pay them, which do we move", which to me is just silly.

No, taking a RT at 2 is silly and moving Becton’s wooly mammoth sized ass away from the QB’s blindside is even sillier. 

you can score a RT in other ways.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And if Darnold goes somewhere else, becomes a good QB and Wilson doesn't become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for making that pick....

Or if they both work out no one will give a damn, will actually be glad that he kept the QB and whatever he got in return for the 2nd, picks or player....

Its easy to come up with reasons he should go with Wilson and dump Darnold when the hypothetical revolves around Wilson becoming the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees without the thought that the opposite could happen

Exactly. You can conjure up a bunch of hypotheticals to fit your own bias. Trading down from #2 and gathering more picks helps build a team around a QB. That's a fact. Not a hypothetical.

• Upvote 1

Man, I thought that there was some suspicious sh!t going on with the whole deShaun Watson thing, how convenient all of these accusations started coming to light as soon as he said that he wanted out of that scummy and very crooked city. No team in their right minds would take a chance now on taking this guy, and giving up the high price they would want for him.

So...I start looking at the kids coming out and I believe that Zach Wilson is the best pro-ready QB prospect that I have seen since Andrew Luck. I think he is better suited to the pro game than Lawrence. He has a motion similar to Philip Rivers with accuracy on a level dare I say like Tom Brady. The guy has a nose for the end zone. I hope the Jets take Zach Wilson

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, taking a RT at 2 is silly and moving Becton’s wooly mammoth sized ass away from the QB’s blindside is even sillier. 

you can score a RT in other ways.

Becton isn't that great in pass coverage, you're aware of that.....right?

He's a monster in the run, granted, but he's not a monster in pass coverage (yet).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I believe that Zach Wilson is the best pro-ready QB prospect that I have seen since Andrew Luck. I think he is better suited to the pro game than Lawrence.

And as expected, we've come to where Jets Fandom has convinced themselves the "generational QB" they all pined horribly for and wailed like banshees when we won and lost the opportunity.....is now worse than the short small kid from BYU who's strongest opponent last year was San Diego Barber College.

I agree, totally, whoever it is we get is clearly the bestest of the bestest like ever!  We'll be lucky to get (fill in name here) because they were, obviously, the best #1 total package prospect at (fill in position here).

Lol.

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The question is, how much does Chris Johnson's strong endorsement of Sam affect Douglas' decision?  If he stays with Sam, it's doing what CJ "hopes" would happen and would possibly give him a pass if Darnold fails.  Then you have to ask what Woody thinks of Sam.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

And as expected, we've come to where Jets Fandom has convinced themselves the "generational QB" they all pined horribly for and wailed like banshees when we won and lost the opportunity.....is now worse than the short small kid from BYU who's strongest opponent last year was San Diego Barber College.

I agree, totally, whoever it is we get is clearly the bestest of the bestest like ever!  We'll be lucky to get (fill in name here) because they were, obviously, the best #1 total package prospect at (fill in position here).

Lol.

I don't there's any contradiction to liking Darnold and then liking Wilson. Both were decent prospects but with entirely different issues. Darnold never cleaned up his mistakes and if anything regressed after that second year debacle behind the worst line in football. Whatever chance he had at succeeding was done after that. He's a broken QB now. I did prefer Mayfield at the time though and was devastated when he went #1. I still think that's who we traded up for. 

Wilson is not just highly touted among Jets fans - He's risen up the draft boards everywhere. Size isn't all that important anymore in a league where QB's are so protected. His throwing is on point though - I watched that video with all his passes and by far the stand out quality is the ball location. His accuracy is legit, his arm is fine and he can move effectively. He's definitely a good prospect. The competition is always a bit of a strange argument - Good throws into tight windows are good regardless of who you're playing against. As the opponents get better so will the talent around him, or should at least, with the Jets you never know. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, viffer said:

JD isn't getting fired over Darnold or Wilson. He will get fired in a few years if the Jets aren't winning football games and getting into the playoffs. He got a six year contract for a reason, and we are in year two. Maybe in year five, if we still aren't competitive, he might get fired, but it won't be over Zach.

The idea that one draft pick will determine the leadership of the Jet is ludicrous. By that logic every GM in the NFL should have been, and would have been, fired for passing over Tom Brady at least 5 times each. To the best of my recollection, no one got fired for not drafting Brady.

If the Jets pass on Wilson and he turns out to be great, but we are winning games and going to the playoffs, Woody will not care about him, and will not fire JD.

If Joe drafts a QB, he will get a pass for two or three more years at least.  If they play Darnold and he plays anywhere near as badly as he has, this will accelerate Joe's demise, no doubt.  If Darnold plays better, they likely will win 6 to 8 games and they will have to pay him the big bucks or let him walk and try to draft a franchise QB at pick 10 or thereabouts.  Darnold may become an average or slightly above QB, but based on what we've seen it is highly unlikely that he will become the franchise guy this team needs.  It seems a no-brainer to me.  Most of us loved Darnold when he came out.  But there comes a point where you have believe your eyes and cut your losses and move on.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

wilson seems to have a arm on em i think they draft him then a T G DL WR TE in the later if not then we as jets fans  get another long long season

• Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, JetsFanShawn said:

wilson seems to have a arm on em i think they draft him then a T G DL WR TE in the later if not then we as jets fans  get another long long season

Too bad the arm is attached by a shoulder made of cheap plastic

• Haha 1