Why the pick WILL be Wilson...

Dunnie

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Theres no safer choice. Its what we want individually and how we justify it.

Hes not necessarily getting axed either way.  GMs miss on QBs, both ways at a high percentage of the time.  Anyone getting fired for Garoppolo?  Anyone getting fired for taking Tua over Herbert?  

Also Ozzie Newsome took Kyle Boller in the 1st rd and it didn't hurt him..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Of all the manufactured "problems", the one I least understand is the "OMG HOW CAN WE HAVE TWO GREAT TACKLES!!!  IMPOSSIBRU!!!"

I understand the prioritization argument that QB > Tackle or WR > Tackle, but not the "can't have two great tackles, how could we pay them, which do we move", which to me is just silly.

Except it's not two great tackles, it's two great LEFT tackles. I'll spell it out in a normal situation. If your boss brought a person in to your company that does exactly the same job as you, even though you may be the best in your company at it, and told you that you have to take a big pay cut in a couple of years because they are moving you to a position that isn't as valued, would you stay or accept another offer from about 20 other companies to go back to the job you should be at and get paid a ton more? JD would never give two tackles left tackle money. It's also one of the only positions on the team we are set at for a decade or more on a team with a lot of holes. It really makes zero sense to me. We need IOL not another tackle.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Too bad the arm is attached by a shoulder made of cheap plastic

Cheap plastics are extremely durable and last a very long time.  If you dig up Zach's body in a couple of hundred years the "Cheap plastics" in his shoulder along with a couple of teeth will be the only identifiable remains.  

I'm not sure what the low cost of highly durable, long lasting plastics has to do with Zach Wilson as a prospect.   If it makes you feel any better I heard he's really rich and probably owns a titanium watch.  

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Folks in on drafting Wilson are effectively saying...

Wilson > Darnold + 2 early 1st rounders n an early 2nd rounder

You need a QB.  That's the way the NFL works.  You can't win without a good one. - it's the single most important position in all of sports.  And there isn't a close second. 

When you have an opportunity to draft one you like you do it - and don't look back.  

If you don't take one now, next year you'll have to fork over draft capital to move up and hope there's another prospect that you like as much.  And you're wasting another year...There's a reason these other teams are willing to give up 2 early first rounds and an early second rounder.

Kicking the can down the road on the QB position is just procrastination.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You need a QB.  That's the way the NFL works.  You can't win without a good one. - it's the single most important position in all of sports.  And there isn't a close second. 

When you have an opportunity to draft one you like you do it - and don't look back.  

If you don't take one now, next year you'll have to fork over draft capital to move up and hope there's another prospect that you like as much.  And you're wasting another year...There's a reason these other teams are willing to give up 2 early first rounds and an early second rounder.

Kicking the can down the road on the QB position is just procrastination.

I think everyone knows what the counter argument here is.

It's been argued a lot lately. 

I'll just say I'm on the side of...

1.  keeping Sam

2.  giving him his first year of playing with a legit NFL caliber oline n WRs

3.  Having three 1st and two 2nd rounders in 2022.  Keeping in mind two of those 2022 1st rounders come from teams with Sam and a rookie at QB!  

So if Sam does suck, that's a top 10 1st rounder.  And say Carolina playing with a rookie QB has a very good chance of resulting in top 1st n 2nd round picks.

Finally, if Sam supporters are right, and he is good...  imagine being set at QB with three 1sts and two 2nds in 2022.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Becton isn't that great in pass coverage, you're aware of that.....right?

He's a monster in the run, granted, but he's not a monster in pass coverage (yet).

He wasn’t GREAT. He was decent on pass protection.(not coverage) I’m also aware he was a rookie last year. I’m not using the 2nd pick on a RT just because my #11 overall LT from last year was only decent in pass pro...in his first year ever.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Folks in on drafting Wilson are effectively saying...

Wilson > Darnold + 2 early 1st rounders n an early 2nd rounder

Lol what. Or just trade Darnold for the 2nd rounder and have two 1st’s, two 2nd’s and two 3rds in 2021. 

people are acting like flipping #2 is our only means to having a lotta draft ammo. News flash, we already own plenty of draft capital, sure more would always be welcomed, but we have more than enough right at this very moment to build a team. This “flipping #2 overall for more picks” is just narrative by the Sam lovers club in the media to keep him. I’ve watched it all this week on TV. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Lol what. Or just trade Darnold for the 2nd rounder and have two 1st’s, two 2nd’s and two 3rds in 2021. 

people are acting like flipping #2 is our only means to having a lotta draft ammo. News flash, we already own plenty of draft capital, sure more would always be welcomed, but we have more than enough right at this very moment to build a team. This “flipping #2 overall for more picks” is just narrative by the Sam lovers club in the media. I’ve watched it all this week on TV. 

No I'm saying if the Jets draft Wilson instead of trading down, they lose...

1.  Our first 1st rounder (say Pitts at 8th overall) this year.

2.  Likely and early 1st and 2nd rounder next year from Carolina. 

Is Wilson worth that much?

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If Wilson joins Carolina and plays under Joe Brady, the Panthers pick next year will not be an early pick. 

8 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

If Wilson joins Carolina and plays under Joe Brady, the Panthers pick next year will not be an early pick. 

Sure seems like a decent amount of speculation there about a QB from BYU who wasn't even mentioned as a top draft pick until recently. 

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yes. So is Fields. Probably also Trey Lance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sure seems like a decent amount of speculation there about a QB from BYU who wasn't even mentioned as a top draft pick until recently. 

Indeed, it's like Burrow all over again. Or Trubisky. Whose meteoric rise will it resemble? 

Personally I was all over Zach Wilson back in October, mentioned him then in the draft forum. I'm probably biased as a result.

This level of hype doesn't surprise me. The kid looks special, but he's no sure thing. The things I worry about Zach are not his physical tools per se, but the other stuff, the intangibles, leadership, alpha male, etc. which will show up in interviews. 

Let's see how his pro day goes. I could be way out 

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Indeed, it's like Burrow all over again. Or Trubisky. Whose meteoric rise will it resemble? 

Personally I was all over Zach Wilson back in October, mentioned him then in the draft forum. I'm probably biased as a result.

This level of hype doesn't surprise me. The kid looks special, but he's no sure thing. The things I worry about Zach are not his physical tools per se, but the other stuff, the intangibles, leadership, alpha male, etc. which will show up in interviews. 

Let's see how his pro day goes. I could be way out 

I don't know that pro days really show much.

I mean Sam had a great pro day, and many here just want to toss him to the curb without having one single year playing with even below average WRs n oline.

I see pro days as just a way to speak with potential suitors, wow the fans, and possibly show any glaring physical issues.

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Except it's not two great tackles, it's two great LEFT tackles. I'll spell it out in a normal situation. If your boss brought a person in to your company that does exactly the same job as you, even though you may be the best in your company at it, and told you that you have to take a big pay cut in a couple of years because they are moving you to a position that isn't as valued, would you stay or accept another offer from about 20 other companies to go back to the job you should be at and get paid a ton more? JD would never give two tackles left tackle money. It's also one of the only positions on the team we are set at for a decade or more on a team with a lot of holes. It really makes zero sense to me. We need IOL not another tackle.

I'd get a message and once I was relaxed threaten to hold out. 

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Also Ozzie Newsome took Kyle Boller in the 1st rd and it didn't hurt him..

Said the same thing last week.

Newsome besides his first round QB busts picked a number of other QBs like Redman who were huge busts.  

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Such incredible analysis.  We can’t draft Sewell because he will be too good

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

And as expected, we've come to where Jets Fandom has convinced themselves the "generational QB" they all pined horribly for and wailed like banshees when we won and lost the opportunity.....is now worse than the short small kid from BYU who's strongest opponent last year was San Diego Barber College.

I agree, totally, whoever it is we get is clearly the bestest of the bestest like ever!  We'll be lucky to get (fill in name here) because they were, obviously, the best #1 total package prospect at (fill in position here).

Lol.

Since when was I ever that kind of an idiot?

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If JD hitches his train to Darnold ... or anyone else ... and Wilson become the next Matt Stafford or Drew Brees... Douglas will be fired for missing that pick.

nonsense. If his plan is to trade back, he’s not hitching himself Darnold at all. His plan is to flesh out the roster, and then address quarterback. He’s not gonna take crap from ownership if his plan is not to get a quarterback.

If Wilson blows up it’ll be no different than the teams the past on Watson or Mahomes. You didn’t see 10 GMs get fired for that. Internally they may have to live with regret but that’s it.

Now if they passed on Wilson picked a different quarterback that was out of the league in two years like my boy Paxton Lynch, and Wilson was Hall of Fame material… Maybe then the heat Will force him out of the kitchen… But if his plan isn’t to take a QB then no. Your take is wrong. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, viffer said:

JD isn't getting fired over Darnold or Wilson. He will get fired in a few years if the Jets aren't winning football games and getting into the playoffs. He got a six year contract for a reason, and we are in year two. Maybe in year five, if we still aren't competitive, he might get fired, but it won't be over Zach.

The idea that one draft pick will determine the leadership of the Jet is ludicrous. By that logic every GM in the NFL should have been, and would have been, fired for passing over Tom Brady at least 5 times each. To the best of my recollection, no one got fired for not drafting Brady.

If the Jets pass on Wilson and he turns out to be great, but we are winning games and going to the playoffs, Woody will not care about him, and will not fire JD.

yes he would.

we seen 3 bad years from Darnold. do we really need to see a 4th? if he does stick with Sam and we do get that 4th bad year than he is done.

most of this fan base is done with Darnold. so is the NY media. if any QB not named Trevor has a good year and Sam doesnt, they will combine to get JD out of town.

whoever the QB we draft is, they would get a fresh start. at least 3 to 4 years to show us what they got. JD would get more time to fix us. 

JD can get many things wrong and be ok, he cant keep Sam and get that wrong.