CBS Mock/We Trade down to 8, Take Mac

I like Jones as a qb.  I would be ok, if they were aggressive, and was the first of a few different moves.

#2 for #8, 39, 73 and 2022 1.

#23 and 34 for 10.

Sam Darnold and 86 for the 19.

Draft 

1.8 Mac Jones

1.10 Penei Sewell

1.19 Gregory Rousseau (or Micah Parsons if he falls)

2.39 Asante Samuel

3.66 Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers

3.73 Deonte Brown or Ben Cleveland

Still have the 4th round, 2 5th rounds and a 6th round this year, and 3 1st rounders next year.  

• Sympathy 1

I always love to dredge up the fact that CBS's last mock of 2018 had Mason Rudolph as their #1 ranked QB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-top-150-overall-plus-breaking-down-first-round-locks/

In their mock, they had DEN taking him at #4.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-hit-the-reset-button-at-qb-with-mason-rudolph/

Never gets old...

• Haha 3

I don't mind the pick, as I like Mac Jones and think he will be a very good pro QB.  He's accurate, smart and gets the ball out of his hands quickly - a good fit for the WCO.

What I like less is the compensation for the trade down.  For giving up on the chance to pick Fields of Wilson, I'd want a lot more than a 3rd rounder a future 1st round pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

That would be classic Jets.

I don't think Jones is terrible but he's not really a top 10 prospect in today's NFL. Too limited. Plus as Tua demonstrated that ridiculous offence makes it easy to overperform. Devonta Smith was just always open. 

Overpreform...lol I'd wait until the end of this year before judging. Fitzmajic seems to think he has skills.

“The two things that really stick out to me about Tua is he has elite accuracy; that’s very important,” Fitzpatrick said.
“And he throws with anticipation and that is something you don’t see with quarterbacks coming from college to the NFL. I’m a huge Tua fan. My kids love Tua. Sometimes they play with him on Madden. Sometimes they play with me.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article250044904.html#storylink=cpy

1 minute ago, Ben Had said:

Overpreform...lol I'd wait until the end of this year before judging. Fitzmajic seems to think he has skills.

“The two things that really stick out to me about Tua is he has elite accuracy; that’s very important,” Fitzpatrick said.
“And he throws with anticipation and that is something you don’t see with quarterbacks coming from college to the NFL. I’m a huge Tua fan. My kids love Tua. Sometimes they play with him on Madden. Sometimes they play with me.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article250044904.html#storylink=cpy

He can't throw the ball beyond 10 yards.

• Haha 2

Silly stuff! The Jets will either draft a QB in this year's draft or role with Darnold. If they draft a QB, they will use the 1.2 pick on Wilson or Fields - period! No GM in their right mind would go into the draft with the number 2 pick, knowing they want to draft a QB, then trade out of the position that best affords them the opportunity to draft the best talent available outside of Lawrence. That's just not happening. It's not like The Jets don't already have a plethora of draft picks in 2021/2022. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Knew that was coming. Haha 

whats really funny is the way the new forum cuts off some of the quote giving you the option to expand it if needed. It looks like Mac Jones is peaking down at Brady its hilarious and not intended when I quoted you 

• Upvote 1

A lot more nipples in this thread than I would have expected.

Looking at the highlights I couldn't help but notice how much protection he's getting to throw to a consistently open WR. Surrounded by that team you would expect to see a lot of those plays. Would you see those plays if he played at North Texas? 

He should definitely be picked up in the second round and allowed to sit for a couple seasons as a backup and see if he develops. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they love Mac I don't hate it. Seems early to take him but you assure yourself no one else gets him while picking up a bunch of draft capital. They would have to get more in the trade though.

FWIW, PFN mock draft simulator offers the following trade from the Lions.

DET: offers #7, #41, 2022 1st, 2022 LAR 1st, 2022 2nd

That's much closer to the compensation. In this draft, with this hype the compensation was idiotically low. 

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I like Jones as a qb.  I would be ok, if they were aggressive, and was the first of a few different moves.

#2 for #8, 39, 73 and 2022 1.

#23 and 34 for 10.

Sam Darnold and 86 for the 19.

Draft 

1.8 Mac Jones

1.10 Penei Sewell

1.19 Gregory Rousseau (or Micah Parsons if he falls)

2.39 Asante Samuel

3.66 Landon Dickerson or Josh Myers

3.73 Deonte Brown or Ben Cleveland

Still have the 4th round, 2 5th rounds and a 6th round this year, and 3 1st rounders next year.  

Imagine trying to extend three (3) 1st round picks simultaneously? JD having multiple #1's in at least 2 consecutive drafts is a great thing, he'll just need to be creative if all these players are studs!! Kind of the problem Cleveland is now facing with 5th yr. options.

image.png.874dbd57149fe698c52f945ab62c6be4.png

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they love Mac I don't hate it. Seems early to take him but you assure yourself no one else gets him while picking up a bunch of draft capital. They would have to get more in the trade though.

FWIW, PFN mock draft simulator offers the following trade from the Lions.

DET: offers #7, #41, 2022 1st, 2022 LAR 1st, 2022 2nd

PFN trades are not realistic but we would need more that the OP suggested.gotta get a 2nd this year which would net a CB or G.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Imagine trying to extend three (3) 1st round picks simultaneously? JD having multiple #1's in at least 2 consecutive drafts is a great thing, he'll just need to be creative if all these players are studs!! Kind of the problem Cleveland is now facing with 5th yr. options.

image.png.874dbd57149fe698c52f945ab62c6be4.png

That would be a good problem to have.