Jump to content

The Darnold + Wilson option


Recommended Posts

good logic.  i think the same thing.  there's no need to get rid of darnold until they see if the qb they choose (if they do go that route) is the guy.  it doesn't seem like the phone is ringing off the hook for his services either.  there's just so much speculation that wilson is the guy.  maybe but the jets need to evaluate him.  didn't they just look at trask?  maybe he's the guy and maybe he can justify a move down from the 2 pick.  about the only thing certain about this draft and darnold is the uncertainty.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

As someone who would lean toward keeping Darnold and building up the rest of the team, my sense is the tides are moving in the direction to take Zach Wilson.  If not, I would have thought the Jets would have been more adamant by now that they were keeping Darnold, so as to make a bidder's war for the number 2 pick.  That they've said nothing to me has me thinking they are likely going with the QB at 2.

But this is where I disagree with others who think Darnold will simply be traded.  It's not clear that he has a bonafide starting position elsewhere, maybe Denver or WFT.  Otherwise he will compete for playing time.  And then he is a free agent the following year.  Teams are not likely to trade much in that scenario if they intend for him to be a backup or a one-year plug-in.  Given that, why wouldn't we do the same if we can't obtain a high draft pick for him (low 1st?).  If he is the bridge to Wilson but bounces back with a stellar year, we can franchise or let him walk and take the 3rd round compensatory pick if he signs a big contract elsewhere.  That decision would be based on Wilson's development and whether he takes over during the year.  It gives us two starting options if one of them gets hurt.  What's not to like about a great qb room of Darnold, Wilson, and Morgan, with tremendous flexibility for next year?

Seems to me that it doesn't make sense to trade Darnold in any scenario unless another  team gets desperate and is willing to part with a higher pick.  He is cheap this year.  And that's even assuming we take Wilson, which is looking more likely by the day.

This makes too much logical sense for many posters on here who have Darnold Derangement Syndrome. But this is a great strategic option with very little downside aside from missing out on a mid range pick in a trade, which is a small price to pay.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in favor of this option.....

Costs near nothing in opportunity cost if no one offers more than a 3rd rounder for him.

Roll with both .... Maybe Sam fights for his life... Maybe he doesn't and decides he just wants to hold a clipboard and go boogie boarding.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

This makes too much logical sense for many posters on here who have Darnold Derangement Syndrome. But this is a great strategic option with very little downside aside from missing out on a mid range pick in a trade, which is a small price to pay.

Exactly how i see it playing out. Sam has had zero to work with and never opened his mouth his entire tenure here. He is not a distraction and there is zero downside to holding onto a 23 yr old QB with talent 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes so much sense I'm sure the posters who deal in negativity will hate it. Fortunately we have, for the first time in a long time, a level headed management team that will make the right decision not the knee jerk FANatical decision.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of Wilson (similar to when we drafted Darnold) but if we draft him I wouldn't have a choice but to root for him. On the path to success, do not just throw him out there. Our team has little chemistry or structure. Plus a legit fringe stater cost $10M. Darnold this season is being paid $4,774,685. Instead of paying for Alex Smith, use that money and overspend on a CB and another DE therefore we won't be down 7-0 by our first offensive possession.

Best case scenario if Darnold plays well we'll have a Drew Brew and Rivers dilemma. If not then thank god we choices a QB.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no outcome where the Jets draft a guy at 2 overall, pay him 20 million in USD and have this guy sit a year. Whoever is the 2 pick is starting. Cmon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bitonti said:

There is no outcome where the Jets draft a guy at 2 overall, pay him 20 million in USD and have this guy sit a year. Whoever is the 2 pick is starting. Cmon. 

Can they pay him in Dominican pesos then?

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think it's hard to draft a QB at #2 and keep Darnold in the locker room in practice. I think you give Sam a fresh start with another organization. 

i think for his sake they would trade him to another team.   it feels to me that Joe D. does right by players when they aren't part of the future.  see what he did with all the vets last year around the deadline  - he either sent them to good teams or just released them (bell for example).

he'll take a late 2 for Sam if they decide to go elsewhere.  maybe even a third.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There is no outcome where the Jets draft a guy at 2 overall, pay him 20 million in USD and have this guy sit a year. Whoever is the 2 pick is starting. Cmon. 

this hasn't worked the last few times.  maybe they will change it up and let him get up to speed for 1/2 the season.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are trending to Darnold/Wilson...Morgan will be cut within a year or two.....

Darnold can enter camp as starter, but there will be a competition. If Darnold stinks it up in year 4 you go to Wilson who had a year to learn in 22. If Darnold lights it up, you make some tough decisions. We also dont know if Wilson will even be good. I see it much Safer going Darnold/Wilson then Wilson/Morgan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

this hasn't worked the last few times.  maybe they will change it up and let him get up to speed for 1/2 the season.  

Half a season means that Sam is going to get replaced no matter what 

Might as well start cj beathard or Morgan if that's the plan 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point if we draft Wilson I would hope we let him sit regardless of draft position he was selected. If he picks up the system and is head and shoulders above Sam, fine. Personally I would like to see him not rushed into starting day 1. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve basically said, Sam is actually a great priced interim QB. Might as well keep him if you can’t get good draft capital back. Still draft another and have the new kid ready ASAP.

If Sam thrives, then you make a decision - but 2 good QBs is a good problem to have.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JazzyJet said:

This makes too much logical sense for many posters on here who have Darnold Derangement Syndrome. But this is a great strategic option with very little downside aside from missing out on a mid range pick in a trade, which is a small price to pay.

wtf is darnold derangement syndrome?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve basically said, Sam is actually a great priced interim QB. Might as well keep him if you can’t get good draft capital back. Still draft another and have the new kid ready ASAP.

If Sam thrives, then you make a decision - but 2 good QBs is a good problem to have.

 

Right, they likely set a price on Darnold - low 1st, if no one bites, so be it, then keeping him for depth/ competition is the best move. Darnold knows he has no right to feel entitled to the starting job - he knows he has stunk and will have to earn anything he gets from here on out.

He's a high character guy and has no leverage to demand playing time or a trade or anything like that. He'll be a team first hold the clipboard guy if he has to waiting for an opportunity to prove himself.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Half a season means that Sam is going to get replaced no matter what 

Might as well start cj beathard or Morgan if that's the plan 

i'd be fine with the them not starting the pick right away.   won't happen most likely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

wtf is darnold derangement syndrome?

if you're asking this question you likely have it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

At this point if we draft Wilson I would hope we let him sit regardless of draft position he was selected. If he picks up the system and is head and shoulders above Sam, fine. Personally I would like to see him not rushed into starting day 1. 

In an ideal world it would be nice, but I think the days of sitting a rookie are mostly gone. The only first round guy that sat last year was the guy who wasn't good enough. Burrow and Herbert were ready to go from day 1. Herbert was elite.

If Wilson is the guy, he has experience of the same offensive system we will install, plenty of play action, outside zone, bootleg, etc.. No other college QB will have played as much in our new system as Wilson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Installing a new O, makes no sense at all.  We would be better off signing Nick Mullens, who knows the O, to a small deal to be a placeholder for Zach.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

if you're asking this question you likely have it. 

lol, ok. instead of being a patronizing douche why not just say what it is

edit: i just looked it up. figures it's rooted in political nonsense. anyway i like darnold so.....wrong you are........so you can take your derangement syndrome and shove it up your a**, lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think you use the number 2 pick in the draft on a player who won’t see the field. You either draft a QB you believe in or trade the pick.
 

If you keep Sam, you must trade the pick and  get a tremendous return. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don’t think you use the number 2 pick in the draft on a player who won’t see the field. You either draft a QB you believe in or trade the pick.
 

If you keep Sam, you must trade the pick and  get a tremendous return. 

 

i'm for keeping darnold anyway. but if we draft wilson, i'd still be for keeping darnold and letting them battle it out in camp. throwing a rookie to the wolves isn't always the best plan

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

In an ideal world it would be nice, but I think the days of sitting a rookie are mostly gone. The only first round guy that sat last year was the guy who wasn't good enough. Burrow and Herbert were ready to go from day 1. Herbert was elite.

If Wilson is the guy, he has experience of the same offensive system we will install, plenty of play action, outside zone, bootleg, etc.. No other college QB will have played as much in our new system as Wilson. 

Hopefully that’s the case, and he is able handle the various NFL caliber players and defenses  he will be up against. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Keeping Sam is by far the most logical option if the Jets decide to roll the dice on a QB at #2. Competition is never a bad thing. 

But our fans are worried about the distraction our media will create.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...