What is the possibility of Douglas signing Rankins with the idea of eventually trading Quinnen Williams in

a trade with Houston for Deshaun Watson amongst additional draft picks? Just saying........

• Thumb Down 9
2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We’re not trading Quinnen Williams and we’re not trading for Deshaun Watson.

The Jets are either drafting Wilson at #2 and shipping Darnold to the highest bidder or moving down from #2 to further stockpile picks over the next two years.

This!!!  Also, does anyone really think a GM would trade for a player that has 10+ sexual harassment allegations???

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The guy is passing on talent in Free Agency over a few million dollars when we have a lot of cap space. What makes you think he's going to give up a lot of draft picks? I want Watson even if the price is high, but I don't feel like JD is going to do anything unless he things the value and price matches what he's looking for.

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

This!!!  Also, does anyone really think a GM would trade for a player that has 10+ sexual harassment allegations???

somebody will. not this second but before the draft. and they will get a discount. he sits for a year for suspension and you got a really good QB for 2022. 

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Maybe if he’s going for 10 cents on the dollar  (e.g., conditional picks next year that could become ones if he’s exonerated). Instead of killing your draft, you roll the dice that this will all roll over eventually and then you have your franchise QB.  

When the story on L’ael Collins broke before the draft, I couldn’t believe no one thought to invest a 7th round pick in him.  It was minimal risk to get a first round talent.  What are you expecting out of a 7th round pick? Instead, Dallas signed him as an UDFA.  

Same concept here.

Don’t think Q gets moved.  I think the player that should be worried is Foley Fatukasi if anything.  We know Rankins can play at a high level in a 4-3, whereas Fatukasi has to prove himself, in many ways, again.

That being said, we’re most likely over thinking this signing and they just want a dominant healthy rotation on guys opposite Quinnen.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The guy is passing on talent in Free Agency over a few million dollars when we have a lot of cap space. What makes you think he's going to give up a lot of draft picks? I want Watson even if the price is high, but I don't feel like JD is going to do anything unless he things the value and price matches what he's looking for.

The price may now match the value.

While I do NOT understand the signing of the under achieving Rankins , rest assured that Q is not going anywhere.  He's the kind of talent you build around. 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Don’t think Q gets moved.  I think the player that should be worried is Foley Fatukasi if anything.  We know Rankins can play at a high level in a 4-3, whereas Fatukasi has to prove himself, in many ways, again.

That being said, we’re most likely over thinking this signing and they just want a dominant healthy rotation on guys opposite Quinnen.

Don’t think anyone’s going anywhere.   Need to keep depth when you’re investing in an injury prone player.

Reminds me a bit of Kris Jenkins.  He was a beast when he was on the field; best dlineman the Jets have had since Klecko.  But eventually, the injury history reappeared, and then he was gone.

18 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Douglas seems to come across, like he's cheap! He is NOT aggressive. This concerns me! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Milo1735 said:

Maybe if he’s going for 10 cents on the dollar  (e.g., conditional picks next year that could become ones if he’s exonerated). Instead of killing your draft, you roll the dice that this will all roll over eventually and then you have your franchise QB.  

When the story on L’ael Collins broke before the draft, I couldn’t believe no one thought to invest a 7th round pick in him.  It was minimal risk to get a first round talent.  What are you expecting out of a 7th round pick? Instead, Dallas signed him as an UDFA.  

Same concept here.

Just a note I remember on that.  L'ael Collins's agent requested during the draft that due to the extraordinary circumstances that no team draft him beyond the third round - team's respected the request and there was too much uncertainty around him those couple of days for a team to invest a Day 1/2 pick on him.

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Being aggressive is exactly why we’re the way that we currently are:

Ok; that's fair, but let's say this aggressiveness did work out! We wouldn't be in the current position the organization is now! 

Be aggressive to get good players especially after coming off a 2 - 14 season! Ya think?

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

But the aggressiveness didn’t work out.  That’s the point.  If my aunt had a d*ck she’d be my uncle.  The only other team that has been as aggressive as the Jets in free agency going back to 2012 is the Jaguars.  Being aggressive in free agency has shown, time and time again, that it is more likely to blow up in your face.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

But the aggressiveness didn’t work out.  That’s the point.  If my aunt had a d*ck she’d be my uncle.  The only other team that has been as aggressive as the Jets in free agency going back to 2012 is the Jaguars.  Being aggressive in free agency has shown, time and time again, that it is more likely to blow up in your face.

Once upon a time but not anymore..:blink:

• Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Most of the players signed in free agency are good players, but they rarely play to the level of their contract. And often, their teams are cutting them and absorbing dead money on the cap.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not a chance. Rankins was signed to play next to Quinnen & the others.

if that's the way it truly went then it's evidence that saleh has a really good idea about the type of players he wants.  lets hope the other players they signed got the same scrutiny from the coaches before they were picked.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if that's the way it truly went then it's evidence that saleh has a really good idea about the type of players he wants.  lets hope the other players they signed got the same scrutiny from the coaches before they were picked.

It also means Nathan Shepherd is gone after this year.(& rightfully, he’s every bit of a 3-4 style DE.)

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And by the Twitter fan base reaction, nobody knows sh*t about sh*t 6 months into the future when we’re playing games again.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sim said:

What is the possibility of Douglas signing Rankins with the idea of eventually trading Quinnen Williams in

a trade with Houston for Deshaun Watson amongst additional draft picks? Just saying........

NO!!!!!

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Counterpoint: being aggressive in free agency has been bad because of the lack of talent that makes it to free agency with the rapidly expanding cap and franchise tag. 

The Jets don’t have a franchise qb making a large amount of money, nor do they have many players that are extension-worthy currently on the roster. More Aggressiveness with good players who made it to FA with the cap promising to expand with the new tv deal would have been more of a viable strategy than I think you are giving credence towards. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

But the aggressiveness didn’t work out.  That’s the point.  If my aunt had a d*ck she’d be my uncle.

Not necessarily in todays world

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Sim said:

Orrrrr how about the fact that we are transitioning to a 4-3 defense? Just saying........

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It also means Nathan Shepherd is gone after this year.(& rightfully, he’s every bit of a 3-4 style DE.)

Maybe.  Williams was supposed to be implementing a 4-3 scheme and never did get around to it.  Maybe mac’s legacy roster was the real reason.  Did buy play a 3-4 or a 4-3?  Seems to me these guys can be pretty versatile. But we’ll see. 

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Counterpoint: being aggressive in free agency has been bad because of the lack of talent that makes it to free agency with the rapidly expanding cap and franchise tag. 

The Jets don’t have a franchise qb making a large amount of money, nor do they have many players that are extension-worthy currently on the roster. More Aggressiveness with good players who made it to FA with the cap promising to expand with the new tv deal would have been more of a viable strategy than I think you are giving credence towards. 

Disagree.  Players like CJ Mosley hit FA and, barring him winning us a Super Bowl on his own, he will never live up to that contract.  

You need a core to have long sustained success.  That comes through the draft.  You’re better off using your FA money to then pay the home grown premium positions, sign a piece or two to help give you a push, and replace the guys like MLB, S, HB, etc. through the draft once again.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, KRL said:

Yes, but not our GM, which is a good thing.