Jets value Wilson more so than Trevor Lawrence?

Jetsbb

I remember when conventional wisdom and all mock drafts had Reggie Bush going #1.  Charlie Casserly ( I know, I know!!!) went with Mario Williams, a great player at a premium position (Edge/DE) rather than the flashy RB.  It was a bold call and the right call.

I'm curious, the conventional wisdom has been Trevor Lawrence for 2+ years.  He's been written in pen (not pencil) to the #1 slot forever, but during behind the door conversations do you think some true football experts might not think he's the best QB in the class?  Is it like 5% of football analysts or is it closer to 50% ?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

But wait!  Weren’t we tanking for Trevor?  Isn’t TL a generational QB?  Lo and behold!  The Jets fan base, in it’s finest “that was then, this is now” moment renames the BEST QB in the draft.

How convenient for us. 

So many fans on this site totally debased themselves in the race for Lawrence this year, cheering for the Pats......traitors

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

This next month is going to be entertaining to say the least.

I don’t know. I have a feeling we’ll know what’s going on with the QB position by April 5, when the offseason workout program begins. Douglas seems like too class an act to have Darnold schlep into NJ under a cloud for no reason. 

52 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

As if we didn't want teams interested in trading up for Wilson to believe we're happy to stay put and select him. 

For some reason this reminded me of this scene in The Usual Suspects:

Don’t see it. Whether the Jets love him or not, there would be a full fledged  bidding war if the Jets put the pick on the market. What the Jets think of Wilson wouldn’t affect the price whatsoever. 

I keep coming back to a thought that in the end we are all in on Wilson. We love him completely, have him already inked onto our selection sheet we turn in at the draft....and then we hear

"With the first pick in 2021 NFL draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select.....Zack Wilson, BYU"

We then pick Lawrence who is excruciatingly average for the next 4 years,

I watch the weekly BYU interviews with Zack and I really think JAX might take him.

54 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Don’t see it. Whether the Jets love him or not, there would be a full fledged  bidding war if the Jets put the pick on the market. What the Jets think of Wilson wouldn’t affect the price whatsoever. 

If we announced tomorrow that we're sticking with Sam, that is a stupid move. 

The less information the other side has in a negotiation the better. Conflicting reports are our best friend: "It's rumored the Jets will stick with Darnold" "It's rumored the Jets love Wilson". Both of these together improve our position. The fog of war might get a team thinking they really have to blow us away with an offer. 

Trust me, I read all about in this great book called The Art of the Deal.

• Upvote 2