Quarterbacks and Running Backs

TL:DR You want do draft Sewell....

I will admit it frustrates me that no one ever writes or asks about Morgan. He was decent in college. If we decided not to draft a QB at 2 I would almost rather play Morgan than Sam

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

He should have sat for at least half his first season.  He was not ready.  His technique showed as much.  We just threw him in there. 

His QB coaches we're Josh McCown and Adam Gase. A backup QB and Gase. How sad is that. 

• Upvote 1

At some point,  we need to get a legit NFL RB prospect like Harris or take a FA that isn't  a million years old. We can't  keep going old washed up player at this position. I am thoroughly convinced Perrine is not the guy.

8 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Since this is primarily going to be about Sam Darnold, it is not fair to review him without looking backwards at the Jets during his three-year tenure.  Since it has been a very grim three years, pardon the rude intrusion into your sunny day.

We took Sam in 1998 and played him immediately. 

After 23 years, I think we pretty much know what we have.

• Haha 2

Here is the question for anyone who wants to keep Sam.

Say we trade down, draft a IOL, RB, CB and OT with our first 4 picks.  The offensive line really performs better in this system with Wade Davis at RG and a new RB.  The defense in this system is also improved, Hall shows a lot of promise at CB and Carl Lawson brings the much needed edge pressure which perfectly compliments QW.

Sam doesnt completely implode and this offense seems like a fit for him, but he also continues to struggle in his reads and throwing picks.

The team improves to 8-8 and Sam puts up 3200 25 tds and 12 ints.  What exactly do you do with him in 2022?  Are we going to pay $25 million per year for that?

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Say we trade down, draft a IOL, RB, CB and OT with our first 4 picks.  The offensive line really performs better in this system with Wade Davis at RG and a new RB.  The defense in this system is also improved, Hall shows a lot of promise at CB and Carl Lawson brings the much needed edge pressure which perfectly compliments QW.

Sam doesnt completely implode and this offense seems like a fit for him, but he also continues to struggle in his reads and throwing picks.

The team improves to 8-8 and Sam puts up 3200 25 tds and 12 ints.  What exactly do you do with him in 2022?  Are we going to pay $25 million per year for that?

This..

Of course, the only way trading down makes sense is if Sam comes out looking like a true FQB capable of winning a Super Bowl. Someone you're prepared to pay $25mm plus a year.  

High priced QB purgatory is almost the best case scenario keeping Sam.  If Sam stinks you have to draft a QB next year and likely have to trade up to get one.  it's hard to envision a scenario in which not taking a QB at 2 ultimately works out.

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

No one in the NFL is going to pay him $25 million no matter how well he plays this year.

So if they trade down, they do not pick up the fifth year and he's a free agent after the season. If he doesn't play well, goodbye. If he does you can resign him for less than the $25 million. If he wants to go somewhere else, you can trade for next year's hot QB. Assuming you get a 2022 first round pick, youn have 3 first rounders to trade up to get the pick that you want, while having filled a lot of needs with this years draft.

Caveat: I don't think they should trade down further than 8, where there will probably be premium prospects available. One thing to consider is that Fields could be a better fit for the RPO offense that is coming in, due to what I believe will be better durability.

11 hours ago, BCJet said:

Your scenario cannot actually happen. 

"The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31)."

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

As you can see, the Jets must decide whether to pick up his option by May 3rd.  The Jets will do this if they are going to keep Sam.  I think they will keep Sam and also think it is the wise thing to do.  As for the money, it is the going rate for starting NFL QBs.  So FYI.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, BCJet said:

I wouldn't mind drafting an OT, but most likely they'll be a backup to Fant. The one tackle who's a scheme fit and may play average to above average as a rookie is Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State.

By Wade Davis you most likely mean Wyatt Davis from OSU.

Sam Darnold’s 5th year option is $18M, not $25M for 2022.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, BCJet said:

Yes, and it's $18 mil. 

11 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Your scenario cannot actually happen. 

"The option allows a team to retain a player’s rights for five years rather than the standard four, which is the bonus of selecting a player in the first round. In order to extend the contract, the team must inform the player during the period between the last regular season game of his third contract year and May 3 of the next League Year (Art. 7, Sec. 7, (a), 31)."

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

As you can see, the Jets must decide whether to pick up his option by May 3rd.  The Jets will do this if they are going to keep Sam.  I think they will keep Sam and also think it is the wise thing to do.  As for the money, it is the going rate for starting NFL QBs.  So FYI.

They could still pick up the option and put him on the bench next season. He’d be about the highest priced back up QBs ever but it can be done.  The jets will most likely wait until the draft shakes out before they accept or decline the option. I’m guessing they will decline simply because, if they do want to keep him beyond this season, then the salary negotiation is more favorable. Of course that means he’s a free agent . Is that a problem?

23 hours ago, BCJet said:

As stated, if the Jets decide to roll with Darnold, they almost certainly pick up his 5th year option for $18.8M giving them one more year before they'd have to commit long term. If he took another big leap the following year then, sure, you'd look to do that. If not, you move on. 

The idea is to build a program and roster that any QB could have success in, trading back and adding additional premium picks is a great way to get there. I don't see Joe Douglas taking a RB in the first or second round this year, as he shouldn't. You shouldn't spend premium picks on non-premium positions unless your roster is stacked - which the Jets' is not. Besides, they're installing a rushing game where late picks and street free agents have thrived. Substitute a WR or Edge up there. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I wouldn't mind drafting an OT, but most likely they'll be a backup to Fant. The one tackle who's a scheme fit and may play average to above average as a rookie is Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State.

By Wade Davis you most likely mean Wyatt Davis from OSU.

Sam Darnold’s 5th year option is $18M, not $25M for 2022.

I think Jenkins or Jalen Mayfield at #23 is a strong possibility Both can be moved inside and play guard. LG, probably. We can find our RG, in the 3rd or 4th rds.

43 minutes ago, genot said:

I think Jenkins or Jalen Mayfield at #23 is a strong possibility Both can be moved inside and play guard. LG, probably. We can find our RG, in the 3rd or 4th rds.

I agree. I love both Jenkins and Mayfield at #23 exactly because of their versatility to play Guard at the NFL level. I also think the value is there because either one of these guys would eventually take over for Fant at RT. 

And instead of trying for a Guard in Rd. 3 or 4 just have a JAG start at one of the Guard positions- Alex Lewis, GVR, Feeney, maybe even Clark. One of these guys will rise to the occasion. In any case, all you need is a decent starter if you have a solid unit all around. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, BCJet said:

Cool story, but that level of production doesn't cost $25 million a season, so a bit of a straw man argument this.

This is Sam's 4th season.  We own the option on his 5th season as well.  No need for a big contract, if one is earned, till after that.

Counter Argument:  What if Wilson is everything his doubters say, too small, too fragile, too small school talent for the big NFL, and he sucks.   And we're stuck with him for another three-four years. 

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree. I love both Jenkins and Mayfield at #23 exactly because of their versatility to play Guard at the NFL level. I also think the value is there because either one of these guys would eventually take over for Fant at RT. 

And instead of trying for a Guard in Rd. 3 or 4 just have a JAG start at one of the Guard positions- Alex Lewis, GVR, Feeney, maybe even Clark. One of these guys will rise to the occasion. In any case, all you need is a decent starter if you have a solid unit all around. 

Thought Mcgovern started to play well 2nd half of season. Would be intrigued by Humphrey though. Not sure where he's slotted now.