Even Mel Kiper Has The Jets Taking Wilson Now

Kiper has been insistent that the Jets will and should keep Darnold. Now he's singing a different tune, and says Wilson has a "superstar" ceiling.

NFL mock draft 2021: Mel Kiper's new predictions for all 32 first-round picks, including two trades, needs for Patriots, Dolphins, Panthers

7:45 AM ET
  • kiper-jr_mel.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Mel Kiper Jr.Football analyst

Let's dig into my third mock for the 2021 NFL draft, with post-free agency projections for pick Nos. 1-32 of April's draft. After a flurry of moves last week, this is when we can finally see what teams really need -- and which teams filled holes with multiyear free-agent deals.

After I put three trades in my Mock Draft 2.0, I have two more in this edition. One is for a team moving up to take a quarterback, and the other is to get a player who might be a top-five lock in any other year. I think you'll find them interesting.

With no NFL scouting combine this year, there is still a lot up in the air before Round 1 begins on April 29. Pro days are finishing up soon, and that's when I'll set my rankings. There are dozens of intriguing prospects who have yet to work out for teams.

We'll start with the Jaguars at the top of, course, and end with the Super Bowl champion Buccaneers, with some surprises along the way. The Jets have a huge decision looming at No. 2, with only a few more weeks left until we know for sure what they're planning.

More draft coverage: Mailbag
Full draft order: Nos. 1-259
McShay's Mock Draft 3.0
Jump to a trade: No. 3 | No. 9

_end_rule.pngjax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

With four picks in the top 45, new Jaguars coach Urban Meyer and general manager Trent Baalke can get Lawrence some premier help. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a wide receiver with one of their second-rounders (Nos. 33 and 45), and there should be stellar options on the board (Minnesota's Rashod Bateman, Ole Miss' Elijah Moore or LSU's Terrace Marshall Jr. would be ideal weapons). Offensive line and tight end are other positions to prioritize. But c'mon, this pick is Lawrence all the way. And the Jags have the No. 25 selection to add a high-end talent, as well.

Notable free-agent additions: CB Shaquill Griffin, S Rayshawn Jenkins, DT Roy Robertson-Harris, WR Marvin Jones Jr., TE Chris Manhertz

Notable free-agent losses: WR Keelan Cole, QB Mike Glennon

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. New York Jets

Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

I'm down to 50-50 here on the Jets keeping quarterback Sam Darnold. Free agency didn't tip off general manager Joe Douglas' plan; he went out and got much needed receiving help with Corey Davis and Keelan Cole Sr., but this team needed weapons regardless of who is playing quarterback. We still have a ways to go until Round 1 begins, but this is the scenario in which Douglas gets a second-round pick for Darnold -- maybe from the 49ers, Broncos or Panthers, if my upcoming mock trade doesn't happen -- and the Jets move forward with a new face of their future. Wilson has a superstar ceiling.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Corey Davis, DE Carl Lawson, LB Jarrad Davis, WR Keelan Cole Sr., S Lamarcus Joyner, DT Sheldon Rankins

Notable free-agent losses: WR Breshad Perriman, C Pat Elflein, DE Henry Anderson

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truecar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Trade: Carolina makes its move

The Panthers trade up five spots to get a quarterback, while the Dolphins move down to No. 8 and acquire what could be a 2022 first- or second-round pick (plus more considerations).

Miami already owns four picks in the top 50 -- including the Texans' first- and second-round picks -- and now it could add another premier pick (or multiple) in next year's draft.

With a loaded quarterback class, Miami is in a great position to trade down a few spots and still fill its needs. This is a win-win trade for both teams.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with MIA through HOU)

Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

We've seen the Panthers be aggressive to try to add a quarterback this offseason -- in the Matthew Stafford sweepstakes -- and it's clear that Teddy Bridgewater isn't their long-term answer at the position. I think the top four quarterbacks will be off the board by the time Carolina picks at No. 8, which means it is going to have to keep up that aggressiveness if Matt Rhule & Co. like Fields or North Dakota State's Trey Lance. Fields could be eased in as the starter, and he'll have a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver with DJ Moore. The Panthers would instantly become a must-watch offense every Sunday.

Notable free-agent additions: OT Cameron Erving, C Pat Elflein, LB Haason Reddick, TE Dan Arnold, LB Denzel Perryman

Notable free-agent losses: WR Curtis Samuel, TE Chris Manhertz, DE Stephen Weatherly

play

1:19

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Atlanta Falcons

Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

Atlanta's salary-cap situation means it mostly has to stay out of free agency, and it even had to restructure quarterback Matt Ryan's contract to get under the $182.5 million cap. That restructure means the organization can't move on from Ryan until 2022, at the earliest, but that's OK. Lance is going to need time to adapt to the speed of the NFL. He only started 17 games in college, all of which were against FCS competition, and it's a big jump to the pros. The Falcons need to start thinking about the future. They also are a prime trade-down option, particularly to try to get better value for a defender -- and acquire more picks.

Notable free-agent additions: S Erik Harris, LB Brandon Copeland

Notable free-agent losses: C Alex Mack, G Justin McCray, DE Charles Harris, S Keanu Neal

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Cincinnati Bengals

Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

All along, I've thought it was going to be an offensive tackle here, but if Pitts and wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase are on the board, can the Bengals really pass them up? Joe Burrow has to get more playmakers around him. I think Pitts is just too good, and he would instantly upgrade this offense. He is one of the most talented tight ends I've ever graded, and there are people in the NFL who think he could be the second-best prospect in this class. With a deep offensive line class, Cincinnati could likely find a starting tackle or guard at the top of Round 2.

Notable free-agent additions: DE Trey Hendrickson, CB Mike Hilton, CB Chidobe Awuzie, DT Larry Ogunjobi, OT Riley Reiff

Notable free-agent losses: DE Carl Lawson, CB William Jackson III, WR A.J. Green, DT Geno Atkins, OT Bobby Hart

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Philadelphia Eagles

Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

The Eagles are another team that didn't have the cap space to be spenders in free agency, and this could be the ideal scenario for general manager Howie Roseman and new coach Nick Sirianni. They don't have the pressure to take one of the top four quarterbacks and let him compete with Jalen Hurts. Now, they can evaluate Hurts in 2021 alongside an elite wide receiver in Chase, then figure out next offseason whether Hurts is the guy around whom they want to build their team. This is a roster that has several holes, and Philadelphia has a long ways to go until it is back to being a Super Bowl contender. Chase would be a great addition to get this franchise back on track after a rough 2020.

Notable free-agent additions: S Anthony Harris, S Andrew Adams

Notable free-agent losses: S Jalen Mills, P Cameron Johnston, WR Alshon Jeffery, DT Malik Jackson, WR DeSean Jackson

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Detroit Lions

DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

The Lions' projected starters at wide receiver? New signings Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman. There's not much else behind them, with Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones Jr. both signing elsewhere. I would say this pick is likely going to the best wideout on the board, and Smith would be a tremendous choice. The Heisman Trophy winner doesn't have the biggest frame (6-foot-1, 175 pounds), but you shouldn't underestimate him. He is one of the best route runners I've scouted, and he beats any corner put in front of him. Detroit is clearly rebuilding, so I also wouldn't be surprised if it trades down to pick up more draft capital.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Tyrell Williams, RB Jamaal Williams, DE Michael Brockers, WR Breshad Perriman, QB Tim Boyle

Notable free-agent losses: WR Marvin Jones Jr., WR Kenny Golladay, CB Justin Coleman, LB Jarrad Davis, CB Desmond Trufant, QB Chase Daniel

EDITOR'S PICKS

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Miami Dolphins (via mock trade with CAR through HOU)

Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

Let's go back-to-back Alabama wide receivers and reunite Waddle with his former college quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. Adding Will Fuller V in free agency shouldn't put Miami out of the running for a wide receiver with its top pick; Fuller only got a one-year deal, and this team needs to add playmakers around Tagovailoa for 2021 and beyond. A top three of Fuller, Waddle and DeVante Parker would be one of the NFL's best, and each of them could take the top off a defense. Waddle is the best deep threat in this stellar class. The Dolphins also could address their front seven here and use the No. 18 pick on a wideout.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Will Fuller V, TE Cethan Carter, QB Jacoby Brissett, CB Justin Coleman, C Matt Skura

Notable free-agent losses: QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, C Ted Karras, LB Kyle Van Noy

den.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truemin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Trade: The Vikings jump five spots for an elite talent

With top offensive tackle Penei Sewell still on the board, I'm projecting the Vikings to move up five spots to get their instant starter at left tackle. That could cost a lot of capital; Minnesota leads the NFL in total picks in this class (11), although it doesn't have a second-rounder as a result of the trade for pass-rusher Yannick Ngakoue. This would likely cost at least Minnesota's second-rounder in 2022 and likely more.

For the Broncos and new general manager George Paton, this is about adding value and not reaching for a defender at No. 9 that they could get at No. 14, while also acquiring premium picks next year.

min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Minnesota Vikings (via mock trade with DEN)

Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

I like the fit here, particularly with Riley Reiff leaving in free agency. Sewell is an elite talent, and if this quarterback class wasn't so strong, he might be a lock for the top five. The Vikings have had offensive line issues for years, but Sewell would plug their hole on the left side. An elite O-line covers up roster flaws, and this is a step toward improving the entire offense. If Minnesota stays at No. 14 or does the opposite approach and trades down, keep an eye on safety. With Anthony Harris gone in free agency, there's a void there next to Harrison Smith.

Notable free-agent additions: DT Dalvin Tomlinson, CB Patrick Peterson, DE Stephen Weatherly

Notable free-agent losses: S Anthony Harris, TE Kyle Rudolph, OT Riley Reiff, RB Mike Boone

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Dallas Cowboys

Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

The Cowboys brought back slot corner Jourdan Lewis, but there's still a hole at one of the outside spots, with Chidobe Awuzie walking in free agency. This selection could reunite former Alabama teammates Surtain and fellow CB Trevon Diggs. Surtain is the most fundamentally sound defensive back in this class. Offensive line is another position to watch -- particularly if Oregon's Penei Sewell is still on the board -- though Dallas could save that for Day 2.

Notable free-agent additions: S Keanu Neal, OT Ty Nsekhe, DE Tarell Basham, DT Carlos Watkins, DT Brent Urban

Notable free-agent losses: QB Andy Dalton, CB Chidobe Awuzie, OT Cameron Erving

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. New York Giants

Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

The question I asked when I did my mock draft 2.0 was: Can the Giants get Daniel Jones a No. 1 wide receiver? Well, they're certainly paying free-agent acquisition Kenny Golladay like one. That means general manager Dave Gettleman could try to address another position with this pick, likely on defense. Though I don't have an edge rusher rated this high, Paye isn't far off, and teams always reach for pass-rushers with intriguing physical prowess. I've heard that Paye is going to impress scouts at his pro day on March 26 and put up incredible testing numbers across the board. The production wasn't there at Michigan -- 11.5 sacks in four seasons -- but I would bet on his upside, and you can see his tremendous first-step ability if you turn on the tape.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Kenny Golladay, CB Adoree' Jackson, TE Kyle Rudolph, RB Devontae Booker, WR John Ross III, QB Mike Glennon

Notable free-agent losses: DT Dalvin Tomlinson, G Kevin Zeitler

sf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

12. San Francisco 49ers

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

I'm still not sold on Jimmy Garoppolo as coach Kyle Shanahan's top quarterback going forward, but do the 49ers want to give up the draft capital to trade up to get one of the top four guys? This is a team already without its own third-round pick because of the trade to acquire Trent Williams last year. (It does have a third-round compensatory pick, however.) My feeling is that San Francisco could instead stay put in Round 1 and address its biggest hole with one of the top cornerbacks. Farley is one of the best pure cover corners in this class. Here's a "wow" stat, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information: In 2019 -- remember, he opted out of the 2020 season -- Farley allowed a completion percentage of 24.4% when he was the targeted defender in coverage, which ranked No. 1 in FBS. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Farley is having surgery on his back on Tuesday, but as of now, I don't think the injury will affect his draft stock.

Notable free-agent additions: DE/OLB Samson Ebukam, C Alex Mack

Notable free-agent losses: CB Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Richard Sherman, DE Solomon Thomas, WR Kendrick Bourne

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

13. Los Angeles Chargers

Rashawn Slater, OL, Northwestern

The Chargers have upgraded their offensive line in free agency with center Corey Linsley and tackle Matt Feiler, but I'd still take Slater if I were general manager Tom Telesco. That's how bad this line was in front of rookie quarterback Justin Herbert. As far as I'm concerned, only Linsley and right tackle Bryan Bulaga are locks for their positions, and Slater could battle for the left tackle job with Feiler or move inside. There are some teams that see Slater as the best guard in this class, even after he starred at left tackle for Northwestern. (He opted out of the 2020 season.) I don't think there's any way Florida tight end Kyle Pitts makes it to No. 13, but he would be a great fit for the Chargers.

Notable free-agent additions: C Corey Linsley, OT Matt Feiler, TE Jared Cook

Notable free-agent losses: TE Hunter Henry, QB Tyrod Taylor, S Rayshawn Jenkins, LB Denzel Perryman

den.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

14. Denver Broncos (via mock trade with MIN)

Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State

Denver moves down five spots in my projected trade and still gets the best off-ball linebacker in this class, a defender with the flexibility to play every linebacker spot. He could also put his hand in the dirt and rush the passer. Parsons opted out of the 2020 season, and I'm excited to see how he tests at his pro day on March 25. There's a wide range on where Parsons could go, but his athletic testing numbers could make him a top-15 lock. I had thought this team would target a corner at No. 9, and that could still be an option with Kyle Fuller only getting a one-year deal in free agency.

Notable free-agent additions: CB Kyle Fuller, CB Ronald Darby, RB Mike Boone

Notable free-agent losses: RB Phillip Lindsay, DT Jurrell Casey

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

15. New England Patriots

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

Look at that -- New England doesn't even have to trade up to find its quarterback. Cam Newton is returning for another season, of course, and that was a smart deal to bring back a well-respected guy whom the rest of the locker room loves. But Newton is not likely to be the Patriots' guy past 2021, and Jones could soak up the pro game for a season before taking over as the starter.

I've gotten in trouble before for saying that a few quarterbacks are "Tom Brady-like," but I'm really talking about accurate, tall pocket passers. I'm not predicting that these guys are going to become Hall of Famers. When I watch Jones, I can see some of the traits that have made Brady so good for so long. Jones is a pinpoint thrower who can manipulate the pocket and find targets down the field. He is a leader in the locker room too. This is a good fit. (Again, though, I'm not saying he is as good as the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, although you can find my pre-draft scouting report on Brady here).

Notable free-agent additions: OLB/DE Matthew Judon, TE Hunter Henry, TE Jonnu Smith, S Jalen Mills, WR Nelson Agholor, LB Kyle Van Noy

Notable free-agent losses: G Joe Thuney, S Patrick Chung, DT Adam Butler

ESPN Illustration ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

16. Arizona Cardinals

Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

With potential future Hall of Famer Patrick Peterson gone to Minnesota in free agency, cornerback is a clear need for the Cardinals. Horn had just two interceptions in three college seasons, but he locked down wideouts, and he would be a Day 1 starter for this team. I also thought about pass-rusher -- Arizona added J.J. Watt to play with Chandler Jones, but they're both over 30 and have had injury issues -- and wide receiver. A.J. Green is not a long-term solution.

Notable free-agent additions: DE J.J. Watt, C Rodney Hudson, WR A.J. Green

Notable free-agent losses: RB Kenyan Drake, CB Patrick Peterson, LB Haason Reddick, TE Dan Arnold

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

17. Las Vegas Raiders

Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

Get to know this name, because Davis is a big-time riser. When I sat down recently to watch his 2020 tape, I loved what I saw. He has tremendous range. He is physical. He can play inside or outside. He can cover and has some ball skills, including picking off three passes last season. Davis is the total package, and he could slot in at middle linebacker for Jon Gruden's Raiders team. The other position to monitor here is on the offensive line, with former starters Trent Brown, Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson all being traded away in the past 10 days.

Notable free-agent additions: DE Yannick Ngakoue, WR John Brown, RB Kenyan Drake, DE Solomon Thomas

Notable free-agent losses: WR Nelson Agholor, G Gabe Jackson, C Rodney Hudson

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Miami Dolphins

Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

When I look at this roster, I don't see many holes. This team is going to contend for the AFC East title again next season. Since I gave Miami a wide receiver at No. 8, let's address the pass rush with Phillips, a former five-star prospect who thrived in 2020 at Miami after transferring from UCLA. He had 5.5 sacks in his final three games, really catching the eyes of NFL scouts. If you're talking about a pure pass-rusher, he might be the best in the entire 2021 class. He'll need some time to become a complete edge defender, but he is going to get to the quarterback in a hurry.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Will Fuller V, TE Cethan Carter, QB Jacoby Brissett, CB Justin Coleman, C Matt Skura

Notable free-agent losses: QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, C Ted Karras, LB Kyle Van Noy

2021 NFL draft coverage

nfl_kiper-mcshay-mock-draft-debate_16x9_608x342.jpg

Mock drafts: Kiper » | McShay »
 Rankings: Kiper » | McShay »
 Meet the loaded, elite QB class »
 30 big questions for Kiper & McShay »
Full ranking » | Pick order » | More »

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Washington Football Team

Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

Washington is out of the range for the top quarterbacks in this class, so this pick is tough to predict. I do like what coach Ron Rivera and new general manager Martin Mayhew have done in free agency, adding a top cornerback in William Jackson III, an underutilized wideout in Curtis Samuel and a perfectly capable stopgap quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick. There's still a gaping hole at left tackle, though, and Darrisaw could fill it. He had a tremendous 2020 season, and he is a stellar all-around blocker.

Notable free-agent additions: CB William Jackson III, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WR Curtis Samuel, C Ted Larsen

Notable free-agent losses: CB Ronald Darby, LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Chicago Bears

Alijah Vera-Tucker, OT/G, USC

Chicago is in a similar quarterback situation to that of Washington, except the Bears' roster around their signal-caller is more depleted. I thought about an edge rusher or corner here, but the right tackle spot is wide open. Could Germain Ifedi, who played guard for Chicago last season, move outside? It's possible. But I'd still draft a tackle at No. 20 and either start him on the right side or play him at guard and groom him to take over at left tackle for veteran Charles Leno Jr. Vera-Tucker is a high-upside lineman with all the traits to be a longtime starter at tackle.

Notable free-agent additions: QB Andy Dalton, CB Desmond Trufant

Notable free-agent losses: DT Roy Robertson-Harris, QB Mitchell Trubisky, CB Kyle Fuller, OT Bobbie Massie

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Indianapolis Colts

Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

Under general manager Chris Ballard, the Colts never go all out in free agency, focusing instead on low-cost, short-term deals. And even though they could still bring back veteran edge rusher Justin Houston, this could be a spot to take a young defender. Rousseau had 15.5 sacks in 2019 and then opted out of this past season. He has an up-and-down evaluation, but you can't deny his production and size (6-foot-7, 250 pounds). He has a high ceiling. Indianapolis also has a hole at left tackle after Anthony Costanzo retired.

Notable free-agent additions: DT Isaac Rochell

Notable free-agent losses: QB Jacoby Brissett, DE Denico Autry, LB Anthony Walker

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Tennessee Titans

Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

With Corey Davis leaving in free agency, this is a really thin wide receiver depth chart behind A.J. Brown. Toney could have a few different suitors in this range, and Ryan Tannehill would love him. Toney could contribute as a dynamic receiver, runner and returner, and new offensive coordinator Todd Downing should get him the ball 10 times a game. Toney will do damage out of the slot: In his career, he averaged 15.6 yards per catch when lined up in of the slot, adding 10 scores.

Notable free-agent additions: OLB Bud Dupree, DE Denico Autry, OT Kendall Lamm, CB Janoris Jenkins

Notable free-agent losses: TE Jonnu Smith, CB Adoree' Jackson, WR Corey Davis, CB Desmond King II

play

1:56

Toney shines as Florida steamrolls Mizzou

Kadarius Toney catches two touchdowns and runs in another as the Gators dominate on both sides of the ball for a convincing 41-17 win over Missouri.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. New York Jets (from SEA)

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

I like what general manager Joe Douglas has done in free agency, but the Jets have to address their defense with this pick. I'd keep an eye on every position outside of defensive tackle -- Quinnen Williams is a future superstar -- and draft the best defender on the board. For me, that's Owusu-Koramoah, a sideline-to-sideline tackling machine. Yes, New York gets back C.J. Mosley, and it added Jarrad Davis in free agency, but coach Robert Saleh & Co. can find ways to get all three of them on the field. Owusu-Koramoah has some coverage traits that could make him valuable on third down. If one of the top corners drops to No. 23, the Jets should pounce.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Corey Davis, DE Carl Lawson, LB Jarrad Davis, WR Keelan Cole Sr., S Lamarcus Joyner, DT Sheldon Rankins

Notable free-agent losses: WR Breshad Perriman, C Pat Elflein, DE Henry Anderson

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

The Steelers have serious salary-cap issues, which means they have had some tough losses in free agency and haven't added any players from other teams, just yet. They did retain wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster, however, and they could still bring back longtime left tackle Alejandro Villanueva, who is unsigned. I'd still address the offensive line here -- tackle Matt Feiler left in free agency too, and center Maurkice Pouncey retired -- and Jenkins is a tough pass-protector and mauler in the run game. I thought hard about Alabama center Landon Dickerson, who could be a Day 1 replacement for Pouncey.

Notable free-agent additions: None

Notable free-agent losses: OLB Bud Dupree, CB Mike Hilton, OT Matt Feiler

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LAR)

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

Finally, a safety off the board. The Jaguars added Rayshawn Jenkins in free agency, but expect him to play closer to the line of scrimmage. They still need a deep safety to compete with Jarrod Wilson. Moehrig has range and can play as the center fielder, and he also is a solid tackler. I wouldn't rule out a wide receiver to Jacksonville here, and it also could be in the market for an offensive lineman. This team is still far away from contention, though, so this could be a spot to watch for a team trying to trade into Round 1.

Notable free-agent additions: CB Shaquill Griffin, S Rayshawn Jenkins, DT Roy Robertson-Harris, WR Marvin Jones Jr., TE Chris Manhertz

Notable free-agent losses: WR Keelan Cole, QB Mike Glennon

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Cleveland Browns

Zaven Collins, OLB/DE, Tulsa

Browns general manager Andrew Berry is having a nice offseason, adding help on defense and getting impact players in the secondary in safety John Johnson III and cornerback Troy Hill, both former Rams. And the way this draft is shaking out, there could still be solid defenders available late in Round 1. If Cleveland can find a pass-rusher to put opposite Myles Garrett, that's a huge win, which is why I considered Oklahoma's Ronnie Perkins and Texas' Joseph Ossai here. But Collins is a versatile defender who could play linebacker or defensive end, and I like his fit with the Browns. Get him on the field and watch him make plays.

Notable free-agent additions: S John Johnson III, DE Takkarist McKinley, CB Troy Hill, LB Anthony Walker, DT Malik Jackson

Notable free-agent losses: CB Terrance Mitchell, OT Kendall Lamm, DT Larry Ogunjobi

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Baltimore Ravens

Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

This is my third mock draft, and I've pegged Marshall to the Ravens in all three, which pretty much guarantees that they will go in another direction. It just makes too much sense, though. Lamar Jackson needs a wide receiver who can line up on the outside and run every route. That's how Jackson can take the leap forward in Year 4. Marshall had 10 scores and averaged 15.2 yards per catch last season, and he had 13 touchdowns while catching passes from Joe Burrow in 2019. This is another spot in which I thought about center Landon Dickerson.

Notable free-agent additions: G Kevin Zeitler

Notable free-agent losses: OLB Matthew Judon, DE Yannick Ngakoue, RB Mark Ingram II, C Matt Skura

play

0:39

Marshall climbs ladder to haul in Burrow's fifth TD pass

Joe Burrow's fifth touchdown pass of the game is on the money to Terrace Marshall Jr. for a 24-yard LSU score.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. New Orleans Saints

Tutu Atwell, WR, Louisville

The Saints are another cash-strapped team that must build its roster through the draft, and New Orleans lost some serious talent in free agency. The list below doesn't even including future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees, who retired earlier this month. With Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill battling for the QB1 spot, let's add a playmaker around whomever wins the starting spot. The 5-foot-9 Atwell reminds me a little bit of former first-round pick Marquise Brown, who has flashed in two seasons with the Ravens. Atwell is explosive and could be used on jet sweeps. He is dynamic with the ball in his hands. Line him up outside and in the slot, and get him the ball.

Notable free-agent additions: FB Alex Armah

Notable free-agent losses: QB Drew Brees, DE Trey Hendrickson, TE Jared Cook, CB Justin Hardee, WR Emmanuel Sanders, DT Sheldon Rankins

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. Green Bay Packers

Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

There are few "official" pro day times in this weird year, and so I have to rely on people in the league whom I trust to help with testing numbers. Newsome ran a 4.38-second and a 4.40-second 40-yard dash at the Northwestern pro day recently, and his speed shows up on tape. As my pal Jim Nagy pointed out, Newsome has great feet. The knock on him is that he only had one interception in three seasons, but ball production will come in time. It's not for lack of breaking up passes. Alabama center Landon Dickerson could fit here as a Corey Linsley replacement, and I'm sure Aaron Rodgers is again lobbying for some help at wide receiver.

Notable free-agent losses: RB Jamaal Williams, C Corey Linsley, LB Christian Kirksey

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

30. Buffalo Bills

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I'm just a big fan of Harris. He runs hard -- he led the FBS in forced missed tackles last season -- and adds value as a pass-catcher. He will make better the team that drafts him. Buffalo doesn't have many clear needs, but it has to create better balance on offense to take some of the pressure off quarterback Josh Allen. Harris is an every-down back who can share the load. Offensive line and wide receiver are two more positions that the Bills could target.

Notable free-agent additions: WR Emmanuel Sanders, QB Mitchell Trubisky, P Matt Haack

Notable free-agent losses: WR John Brown, WR/KR Andre Roberts, DT Quinton Jefferson

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Kansas City Chiefs

Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame

The Chiefs are shaking up their offensive line, signing guards Joe Thuney and Kyle Long in free agency and letting tackles Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher and interior linemen Austin Reiter and Kelechi Osemele walk (although Kansas City could still bring back one or some of them on short-term deals). And even after retaining Mike Remmers, it makes sense to draft a young tackle who could start down the road. There's some buzz around Eichenberg, who was the Fighting Irish's left tackle for the past two seasons. He has great feet and packs a punch in the run game.

Notable free-agent additions: G Joe Thuney, G Kyle Long, TE Blake Bell

Notable free-agent losses: None yet -- WR Sammy Watkins, OT Mitchell Schwartz and OT Eric Fisher, C Austin Reiter and G Kelechi Osemele are all unsigned

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama

The Bucs have spent free agency getting the band back together for another season, with wide receiver Chris Godwin, tight end Rob Gronkowski and edge rusher Shaquil Barrett among the players who have been re-signed. Barmore could be a replacement for Ndamukong Suh, who doesn't yet have a free-agent deal. Barmore was a game-wrecker down the stretch for the Crimson Tide, with five sacks in his final five games. He would be an outstanding fit next to nose tackle Vita Vea, who has emerged as one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the NFL.

Notable free-agent losses: S Andrew Adams, OT Joe Haeg

• Upvote 1

I would only want the Jets to keep Darnold *IF* they installed an offence that fits his skill set.  And that is to say,  he should be traded to a team that knows how to use him.  I have ZERO confidence in any of the Jets management or coaches knowing what to do or being allowed to do what needs to be done.  Pick it apart and look at it from ten different angles, but the most compelling fact remains.  The Jets have the same owner, so get used to more of the same bad product.   

If that was not the case, the Jets would be drafting first overall and bringing on Trevor Lawrence. 

This organization is still jammed-up and will be until they change ownership. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I'm not a fan of Wilson at 2, but if that is the way JD decides to go he MUST use the rest of the draft to support his choice.  No LB at 23.  It should be all OL and playmakers from pick 23 to the end of the 3rd round at least.  Defense be damned.

this!

as an aside why did we let Elfein go, I liked his game last year?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because Elflein is terrible. He’d pancake 1 block and then be bad for like 3 straight drives. 

JOK is an interesting choice and one that JD would have to consider if he’s available. There will be a good OL available at 34 but there’s only 1 JOK level WLB in this draft. Based on how the board fell the only other guy we could take at that spot is the guy that goes at 24, Teven Jenkins and he’s a bit more plodding than JD seems to like.

How about Leatherwood?  Also think if we traded down from#2 to like 6-8, Slater is the guy.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

How about Leatherwood?  Also think if we traded down from#2 to like 6-8, Slater is the guy.

Considering I’d get a billboard to fire JD if we trade down from 2 to take an OL (even though I love Slater), I can’t bring myself to imagine that happening. 

I have too many thoughts about Leatherwood at this time.

No way does Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah fall to use. He would the perfect player for our 4-3 defense and would make a day one impact, probably Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Plus we had a hard on getting Barron but he went to the Cowboys. Would rather a CB but none of them fell. Teven Jenkins RT, would be of interest,  however I don't expect him to be any better than Fant year one.

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Especially considering how thin the boy is.

The Jets nutrition team could help in that dept. but if they're going Wilson at #2, they need to start signing some corners because the rest of the draft should include all of the above, in whatever order, with very little variance; RT, C, G, WR, RB, TE

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets nutrition team could help in that dept. but if they're going Wilson at #2, they need to start signing some corners because the rest of the draft should include all of the above, in whatever order, with very little variance; RT, C, G, WR, RB, TE

I agree with this 100% and it's kind of why I am a little disappointed in free agency.

I wanted one starting IOL, one starting CB and one starting WR.  We only got the WR.  

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I agree with this 100% and it's kind of why I am a little disappointed in free agency.

I wanted one starting IOL, one starting CB and one starting WR.  We only got the WR.  

Name a free-agent IOL of this class, state their contract and how much more you would have overpaid to make them a Jet?

With that said we do need two CBs. One on the outside, the other at the slot.

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Well, sounds like they're going to be trading down and sticking with Sammy, so they will be able to plug a ton of holes, which if that is the plan, kind of makes sense why they didnt go crazy in FA

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Still, would have been cool if they tried to do anything remotely helpful with corner, IOL, or OLB.

I'll be honest, I dont remotely know Saleh's system....would Mosely play weak or strong in a 4-3? Who is opposite of him as of now?   I assume Davis is in the middle?  That said, I could see them making a veteran move at both positions still...but if they're trading down like I think they are, I've done some of those mock thingies which I know arent super accurate but hypothetically, IMO, you could rebuild entire units with a trade down.  2 corners. C-G-T.  Edge.  It's why I've flipped the script on going QB and I'm advocating Sammy and Bridgewater/Mariota.  The more I look at it, it's the only way this can ever get to a competitive level with the rest of the NFL.  This roster is that bad.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It’s not going to happen. We’re building a defence for Saleh so expect a Linebacker at 23.

The Jets just never f*cking get it and make the same mistakes over and over. Wilson is going to walk into a shambles. Literally the only argument to keep Darnold is to spare our next highly drafted rookie the pain.

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s not going to happen. We’re building a defence for Saleh so expect a Linebacker at 23.

The Jets just never f*cking get it and make the same mistakes over and over. Wilson is going to walk into a shambles. Literally the only argument to keep Darnold is to spare our next highly drafted rookie the pain.

The current starting LBs on this team are Davis, who couldn’t see the field in Detroit, Mosley, who hadn’t played in two years, and Cashman, who can’t make it through a quarter without getting hurt. I’m not sure if RD1 is the place but we’re definitely grabbing a LB in the first 100 picks.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, section314 said:

If we trade down and Pitts isn't available, then Slater is the pick. Plug him at center or LG. If Becton gets hurt, Slater could play there. He's played all over the offensive line, and played very well.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

A forum poster who asked a simple question that you deflected? 

"Deflected"? Wow, you sound angry.  Or unnecessarily snarky.

I'm not the GM and all I did was suggest I was disappointed that we didn't sign a potentially starting IOL.  Thuney, Linsely, Zeitler, Feiler, maybe keep Eflein, Skura.  For whatever $$ it would have taken.  For whatever term.  

I get that we likely could't have matched the situation in KC or LA or Balt but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be disappointed. 

I'm not sh*tting on JD, just...you know...disappointed.  

You know, take the pressure of IOL during the draft.  Maybe only need 1 and not 2.

Feel free to disagree with my opinion, couldn't give a half baked crap.   

35 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I am holding out hope that Saleh and JD will be more balanced in drafting than our previous defensive head coaches where it seemed almost every premium pick is on defense. Over and over and over. That said defense looks like it could be best value at that spot so I am not going to be surprised with a defensive player. If Pitts falls at all I am up for trading up from 23 to get him. Regardless we must draft a minimum of 2 IOL and a TE in this draft. If I were GM and we drafted Wilson I wouldn't consider defense and just get as many weapons and OL help as I can in the first 4 rounds, trading up and down as needed.