Even Mel Kiper Has The Jets Taking Wilson Now

On 3/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, HighPitch said:

If the current zach hype train keeps speeding up like this watch the jags take him and we get trevor. Its nuts!

no way

everyone and there grandmother says trevor will be great. if Jax doesnt draft him and its true there GM is gone. why? because the GM went against the grain. he thought he was smarter than everybody and got it wrong.

now if Trevor is a bust, the GM will be fine, even if Wilson is a great QB. why? cause EVERYBODY said Trevor was the best. cant blame him too much when EVERYONE got it wrong.

same thing is starting to happen here.

if we pick Zach and hes a bust JD should be fine if the roster is good, because EVERYBODY is saying hes the 2nd best QB.

if we dont pick Zach and hes great. JD is done . he will look like the only guy on planet earth who didnt know that.

if your going to go against the hype... you better be right!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

no way
everyone and there grandmother says trevor will be great. if Jax doesnt draft him and its true there GM is gone. why? because the GM went against the grain. he thought he was smarter than everybody and got it wrong.
now if Trevor is a bust, the GM will be fine, even if Wilson is a great QB. why? cause EVERYBODY said Trevor was the best. cant blame him too much when EVERYONE got it wrong.
if we pick Zach and hes a bust JD should be fine if the roster is good, because EVERYBODY is saying hes the 2nd best QB.
if we dont pick Zach and hes great. JD is done . he will look like the only guy on planet earth who didnt know that.
Sam Darnold says "Hi"

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, doitny said:

no way

everyone and there grandmother says trevor will be great. if Jax doesnt draft him and its true there GM is gone. why? becomes the GM went against the grain. he thought he was smarter than everybody and got it wrong.

This is correct. 

GM's will never admit it, or not even necessarily consciously make that choice but the reality is self preservation will drive the ultimate decision.

It's why, IMHO,  JD will inevitably come to the conclusion that trading Sam and and drafting Wilson is what's in the best interest of the New York Jets.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Morrissey said:

I'm convinced Mel hasn't watched a single Jets game in 3 years

I'd bet money on it. 

That's the thing that drives me nuts about listening to national sports shows. You have guys who have watched Sam take 10 snaps in two years telling you that he's secretly good and that the Jets should build around him. It makes you want to stab yourself in the eyes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sam Darnold says "Hi"

Come on...

Mac was easily the worst GM in the sport. 

The QB was NOT the reason he was fired.  Not even close.  At the time he got fired the Jets and the league were still very high on Sam.  He had a solid rookie year and closed the season on a high note..

Come on...
The QB was NOT the reason he was fired.  Not even close.  At the time he got fired the Jets and the league was still very high on Sam.  He had a solid rookie year and closed the season on a high note..
Doesn't change the fact that Darnold ... the highest rated QB in the draft just finished his 3rd season 32nd in the league.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Come on...

The QB was NOT the reason he was fired.  Not even close.  At the time he got fired the Jets and the league was still very high on Sam.  He had a solid rookie year and closed the season on a high note..

This is true, but people overreacted to the last 4 games.

The truth is. Sam had 3 really good games and 1 bad game and everyone acted like that meant he was definitely going to be elite. It was a tiny sample size that had followed what was shaping up to be a bad rookie season up until that point. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is true, but people overreacted to the last 4 games.

The truth is. Sam had 3 really good games and 1 bad game and everyone acted like that meant he was definitely going to be elite. It was a tiny sample size that had followed what was shaping up to be a bad rookie season up until that point. 

I agree.

Just the point I was making was Mac getting fired had NOTHING to do with Sam.  At the time he got fired the Jets were very high on Sam - and it was looked at as one of the few positive things Mac did.

33 minutes ago, doitny said:

no way

You read my mind!  Spot on!

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:15 AM, THE BARON said:

I would only want the Jets to keep Darnold *IF* they installed an offence that fits his skill set.  And that is to say,  he should be traded to a team that knows how to use him.  I have ZERO confidence in any of the Jets management or coaches knowing what to do or being allowed to do what needs to be done.  Pick it apart and look at it from ten different angles, but the most compelling fact remains.  The Jets have the same owner, so get used to more of the same bad product.   

If that was not the case, the Jets would be drafting first overall and bringing on Trevor Lawrence. 

This organization is still jammed-up and will be until they change ownership. 

No offense fits Darnold’s skill set. He has no skill set.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No offense fits Darnold’s skill set. He has no skill set.

HAHAHA... Good one :-) 

I have always described Darnold as a "stylist".  Meaning, he wont work out in most offensive systems.  Certainly not the system Gase was trying to jam him into.

However, I think Sam would shine in a modernized version of the Joe Bugel / Joe Gibbs offense that the Redskins ran in the 1980's.  That was a great offense for the skill set that Joe Theismann had and it would work very well with Sam too.   I don't think there are any HC's or OC's out there that could or would be inclined to run that type of an offense.

Such an offense would be build around powerful and athletic offensive lineman that can work as a unit in an aggressive man blocking scheme.  Lots of lateral motion of the line with copious misdirection in the running game.  The old counter gap / counter trey, to which there are now "modern" versions of.   They alreadly have a LT in Becton that would be a worth his weight on gold to that type of an offense. 

The passing game would rely on lots of play action and the speed and skills of the pass catchers rather than a scientific approach to "overwhelming" zones and clockwork timing and pinpoint ball placement.

Anyway... I could spend all morning describing that type of offence, but I think you get the general idea.  Darnold would be ideal in that type of offence... Opposite of what would suite Brady or Peyton Manning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1