overpaid vs bargain players

kmnj

the terms overpaid and bargain player are thrown around lots these days-ones salary low or high does not make them a bargain or overpaid-the return on investment is all that matters when it is all said and done. We signed lots of cheap bargains last year and they pretty much all sucked so even at lower salaries the return on investment was terrible. Ryan Griffin was extended last year at what some said was a good contract-well he was beyond terrible so that "good contract" was  not so good in the end. 

If you pay top dollar for a player and he has an elite year that is money well worth it. I keep seeing teams "overpaid" for some of the better free agents-example Kenny G and  the Giants. If Kenny G has a monster year the Giants will be happy he is on their team. If our Jaq wr that we signed in Cole sucks his "cheap" 5 million dollar salary is no longer cheap.

if you sign  a player to  a "bargain" deal and he sucks the return on investment is no  longer a "bargain"

Joe has used the bargain bin shopping mentality-it failed last year-if it works this year then he is a genius but the bottom line is not how much Joe spends or does not spend but what  is his return on investment when it is all said and done.  I hope  Joe's vision pans out this year as last year was intolerable .

• Upvote 1

Last year was Douglas's opportunity to flush out Macc's team. There was no incentive to help make that team look good and make it harder to lose the anchors dragging the team down. So he signed a ton of bridge players on short contracts to field a team. If he signed good players and Gase made them look terrible then that's cap space wasted. If he signed good players and they played well then we might be lookin at another year of Gase. 

I know some people feel last year was Douglas's first year to start building but with Gase gone, Douglas selecting the replacement, and an opportunity to draft a new QB, there is no more room for excuses. Douglas has to start building the team towards competitiveness. I know Douglas wants to build through the draft but we also can't have five years of scraping the barrel in FA until he can draft thirty-five players to field a competitive team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Hard to really care either way at this point. Jets needed to hit at least one home run on offense and they just didn't. We're either going into the season with Darnold and a bunch of tomato cans or a rookie and a bunch of tomato cans. What's the likely scenario after the draft? They add one new solid starter on the line? Along with Keelan Cole and Davis, and that's the upgrades on offense. Who knows. Unless the Jets have an '06-like draft it's hard to envision a scenario where they throw even a .500 team out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hard to really care either way at this point. Jets needed to hit at least one home run on offense and they just didn't. We're either going into the season with Darnold and a bunch of tomato cans or a rookie and a bunch of tomato cans. What's the likely scenario after the draft? They add one new solid starter on the line? Along with Keelan Cole and Davis, and that's the upgrades on offense. Who knows. Unless the Jets have an '06-like draft it's hard to envision a scenario where they throw even a .500 team out there.

It's the off season so of course, I'm more optimistic.  Mostly for the long term but yeah I think a 6 win improvement to get to 8-8 would be a big win this year.  We have a cupcake schedule so that helps our chances but also could be fool's gold if achieved.

We will have a rookie QB.  Mims could pop, I think Davis is no tomato can.  Cole will exceed expectations.  Crowder will continue to be solid.  Outside of signing Golladay or Thuney to $19 million contracts I don't think a home run was possible this off-season.  It's clear Juju wasn't considered as good as we all thought he'd be.

We're going to get a FQB this draft and 1-2 starting OL.  I'm not doing cartwheels but think the SOJ aren't the same anymore.  No more bad contracts. No more quick fixes.  Salah is the next Pete Carroll, JD is the next Ozzie Newsome and Zach Wilson is the new Aaron Rodgers - so there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2021:

Defense- Top 10

Offense - 19-21 range

We are not tying up the cap and the financial flexibility will allow to be one of the top teams beyond this year:

Defense.- Top 5

Offense 15-17

Defense - elite

Offense- Top 10

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, David Harris said:

It's the off season so of course, I'm more optimistic.  Mostly for the long term but yeah I think a 6 win improvement to get to 8-8 would be a big win this year.  We have a cupcake schedule so that helps our chances but also could be fool's gold if achieved.

We will have a rookie QB.  Mims could pop, I think Davis is no tomato can.  Cole will exceed expectations.  Crowder will continue to be solid.  Outside of signing Golladay or Thuney to $19 million contracts I don't think a home run was possible this off-season.  It's clear Juju wasn't considered as good as we all thought he'd be.

We're going to get a FQB this draft and 1-2 starting OL.  I'm not doing cartwheels but think the SOJ aren't the same anymore.  No more bad contracts. No more quick fixes.  Salah is the next Pete Carroll, JD is the next Ozzie Newsome and Zach Wilson is the new Aaron Rodgers - so there. 

giphy.gif

• Sympathy 1