Corey Davis Signed expecting Darnold to be QB1

usanyj

I will 100 percent support whatever JD decides to do at QB this year.  I'm choosing to just trust him to build the team the way he wants.

But that said, I'm rooting for Sam to stay just to see the apoplectic reaction of the usual suspects on this board. If the Jets can't entertain me, I know that decision at least will.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If Sam wasn't available, Douglas wouldn't pick up the phone. He'd be doing exactly what Houston has been doing with Watson - "Sam's not available. He's our QB."

Douglas is trying to swing for the fences and get another 1st round pick. It's obvious that he values Sam, but it's also obvious that he's "available" - hence, the trade talks.

He set an asking price that he knew wouldn't be met. So, Sam's available, im hearing offers. Draft day comes. Jet's are shopping Darnold. Maybe they'll keep Darnold if we offer this for their #2. Some teams are a lot more desperate than us with regards to who their QB is.

13 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

He could have said "I'm here to play for the jets no matter who's under center I want to win ect ect"

Now if they trade Darnold after Davis saying he signed to play with him it looks like the jets sold him a lie.

I can see Davis mumbling Bastards, they gave me 27 million for 2 years and didn't tell me they finished 2 and 14.  We could throw Chad Pennington's grandmother out at QB, the one he inherited his arm from and he would be dancing a jig.  

Just now, genot said:

He set an asking price that he knew wouldn't be met. So, Sam's available, im hearing offers. Draft day comes. Jet's are shopping Darnold. Maybe they'll keep Darnold if we offer this for their #2. Some teams are a lot more desperate than us with regards to who their QB is.

Bottom line - Would JD accept a first round draft pick for Sam Darnold? If the answer is yes, then he's available. If the answer is no, then he's not available. 

It's also obvious that Douglas values Sam a lot more than most Jets fans do right now and might even be excited to build around him. 

Both things can be true. 

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I can see Davis mumbling Bastards, they gave me 27 million for 2 years and didn't tell me they finished 2 and 14.  We could throw Chad Pennington's grandmother out at QB, the one he inherited his arm from and he would be dancing a jig.  

We we're hearing ad nauseum, no quality WR, would come here, not knowing who the QB is. Now some of you are singing a different tune.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

It's the only piece of concrete evidence that has leaked out of the franchise so far. I'd say joe might not be to happy with his play to make everyone believe he is taking Wilson

This is not evidence of anything. Davis is not going to say anything but positive things about what is currently a teammate. 

The evidence that Sam will be out is Sam’s awful play. No NFL team can tolerate having the league’s worst starting QB for too long. Least of all one with the 2nd overall pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

We we're hearing ad nauseum, no quality WR, would come here, not knowing who the QB is. Now some of you are singing a different tune.

I've always believed we could overpay mediocre talent to play on the Jets.  I've been a Jets fan for over 50 years.  It's obvious.  

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

To me, if that is JD's position, he's not sold on Wilson and therefore shouldn't draft him.

I don't think that's the case at all. We need to stop looking through the emotional "face of the franchise, franchise QB" lens and start looking at it purely from an asset perspective. 

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Yep. If they get a really good offer for # 2 Jets will trade out and let it ride with sam and a ton of draft picks. If Douglas doesn’t get strong offers for #2 (which I doubt) I think he will go with Wilson. Could be win win either way. In no way do I think Jets will draft position player at #2.

Bingo. There's always the possibility that they want more for #2 recognizing that Wilson is that good in their eyes, but I still think there is a reality where they feel Wilson is the best QB in the draft yet would still trade the pick for the right price. 

9 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Assuming Wilson is rated higher than Fields on teams draft boards, would Atlanta make a play for #2?  Why settle when you can get the QB you want.  

In that scenario I would love to do that and then trade down with Carolina if they are willing still willing to move up.  

I know much less about Atlanta than I do Carolina. I have connections to people in Carolina, not in Atlanta. If your asking me to guess? I don't think so. If they take a QB that player is sitting behind Matt Ryan this year, and I don't see it as an Eli Manning-Daniel Jones situation either; they restructured Ryan's contract and if they were to cut/trade him next year, they would eat $40.525 million in dead money (save $8.1375m). If they take a QB, I think they would do so viewing Ryan as 2004 San Diego Charger's Drew Brees to Philip Rivers. Are you going to give up multiple assets for a QB in a class where the 3rd best guy (also highly rated) will be there for you to take if you want a QB?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, genot said:

Corey Davis is a JAG that was surrounded by studs, we still don’t have WR1 idk wtf you’re talking about ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Yep. If they get a really good offer for # 2 Jets will trade out and let it ride with sam and a ton of draft picks. If Douglas doesn’t get strong offers for #2 (which I doubt) I think he will go with Wilson. Could be win win either way. In no way do I think Jets will draft position player at #2.

It's a theory but to be honest if they are not 100% behind the idea that Zack Wilson is the future franchise QB and could be persuaded to move out of #2 with an offer, well then your not 100% behind wilson so don't pick him.

Just now, Tranquilo said:

What is he gonna say?

"I signed here because they told me they were gonna trade Darnold. Sure, I just took away some leverage right now, but how's that for a story?"

He could have said, "I signed here with the intent to play for the New York Jets regardless who the QB is; Sam is a great player and if I'm playing with Sam, we're going to produce." 

Either way, I wouldn't read way too much into it. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, football guy said:

He could have said, "I signed here with the intent to play for the New York Jets regardless who the QB is; Sam is a great player and if I'm playing with Sam, we're going to produce." 

Either way, I wouldn't read way too much into it. 

That's too far the other way, too. Sounds like they're trading him.

But yeah, it doesn't matter.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Bottom line - Would JD accept a first round draft pick for Sam Darnold? If the answer is yes, then he's available. If the answer is no, then he's not available. 

It's also obvious that Douglas values Sam a lot more than most Jets fans do right now and might even be excited to build around him. 

Both things can be true. 

We don't know what his asking price is. He got two #1's for a safety. If he values Sam, who know's what he's asking. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't think that's the case at all. We need to stop looking through the emotional "face of the franchise, franchise QB" lens and start looking at it purely from an asset perspective. 

Not emotional. If Sam and Zach are graded basically the same, he must be aware that drafting Zach means he marries him for all intents and purposes.

Sam has far less risk in that regard. If it's a coin flip on your two scenarios, it's a much safer play to stick with Sam another year, build the team and get a QB next year (either draft, FA or trade) if QB1 needs an upgrade.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If the Jets wanted to trade Sam Darnold he'd have been traded a month ago 

I think what some of you guys are missing is that it's entirely possible that the Jets haven't decided what they want to do at QB. They are still weighing their options. 

This happens all the time. The QB thing is a big decision. Look at how Arizona, who had the number 1 overall pick, handled Josh Rosen. They didn't trade him until draft weekend (late April). 

I think it's entirely plausible (and, in fact, likely) that the Jet haven't made a final decision on what they want to do with Sam. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I think what some of you guys are missing is that it's entirely possible that the Jets haven't decided what they want to do at QB. They are still weighing their options. 

This happens all the time. The QB thing is a big decision. Look at how Arizona, who had the number 1 overall pick, handled Josh Rosen. They didn't trade him until draft weekend (late April). 

I think it's entirely plausible (and, in fact, likely) that the Jet haven't made a final decision on what they want to do with Sam. 

This is semantics, Sam is the guy on the roster right now so technically he’s is the guy moving forward until he isn’t.

Just like you mentioned though, Josh technically was the guy until draft day, that is 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

That's too far the other way, too. Sounds like they're trading him.

But yeah, it doesn't matter.

And if it sounds like they're trading him who cares? The media runs with it (just like they're running with "Darnold is staying" right now) and if the Jets end up keeping him they're like "ah shucks we read too much into that comment"... just like the media read way too much into the "we'll answer the phone" comment by Douglas a few weeks ago. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Wow.  This thread is the NFL equivalent to the record industries Rubber Soul album.  I'm going to read the tweet backwards to find out what it really means about Sam's future with the Jets.  Stay tuned.

So true. You can take things out of his quotes to support whatever side you're on with Darnold. Corey Davis is the master manipulator! Who knew?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Not emotional. If Sam and Zach are graded basically the same, he must be aware that drafting Zach means he marries him for all intents and purposes.

Sam has far less risk in that regard. If it's a coin flip on your two scenarios, it's a much safer play to stick with Sam another year, build the team and get a QB next year (either draft, FA or trade) if QB1 needs an upgrade.

I totally agree with this. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Corey Davis is a JAG that was surrounded by studs, we still don’t have WR1 idk wtf you’re talking about ?‍♂️

There's alot of NFL teams that don't have WR1...It's such an overrated term nowadays

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

And if it sounds like they're trading him who cares? The media runs with it (just like they're running with "Darnold is staying" right now) and if the Jets end up keeping him they're like "ah shucks we read too much into that comment"... just like the media read way too much into the "we'll answer the phone" comment by Douglas a few weeks ago. 

Exactly, who cares. The comment he made is also a who cares. His answer is fine.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

What are the odds that Sam and Wilson "are graded basically the same" by the time draft day rolls around? Seems low to me.