Corey Davis Signed expecting Darnold to be QB1

usanyj

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

And if it sounds like they're trading him who cares? The media runs with it (just like they're running with "Darnold is staying" right now) and if the Jets end up keeping him they're like "ah shucks we read too much into that comment"... just like the media read way too much into the "we'll answer the phone" comment by Douglas a few weeks ago. 

QB speculation via the media produces eyeballs, ears and clicks. 

Proof - the daily "x amount of teams are still interested in Watson"...Really?  At this moment what owner would signoff on any trade for Watson?  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Exactly, who cares. The comment he made is also a who cares. His answer is fine.

None of these comments mean anything right now. Let's wait for some actions, we already have plenty of words. 

Go look at some of the comments from Kliff Kingsbury on Josh Rosen right before they traded him and drafted his replacement. Sam fans have a strong emotional investment in keeping him around, so they will run with what Corey Davis said, but it doesn't mean sh*t. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think what some of you guys are missing is that it's entirely possible that the Jets haven't decided what they want to do at QB. They are still weighing their options. 

This happens all the time. The QB thing is a big decision. Look at how Arizona, who had the number 1 overall pick, handled Josh Rosen. They didn't trade him until draft weekend (late April). 

I think it's entirely plausible (and, in fact, likely) that the Jet haven't made a final decision on what they want to do with Sam. 

Arizona completely screwed up the Rosen deal by waiting until after they drafted Murray.  Teams like the Giants already did their due diligence and weren't going off script at that point.  The Cardinals might have gotten more for him if they made him available much earlier.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

There's alot of NFL teams that don't have WR1...It's such an overrated term nowadays

Although guys like Diggs, Adams and Hopkins are great WRs, it does seem like the days of Moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin, Julio and the like in their primes is a distant memory.  I just don't see today's top WRs as being as dominating as those guys.  Curious if that's just me.

Just now, Biggs said:

Arizona completely screwed up the Rosen deal by waiting until after they drafted Murray.  Teams like the Giants already did their due diligence and weren't going off script at that point.  The Cardinals might have gotten more for him if they made him available much earlier.  

Eh, not sure I buy that, but my opinion of Rosen was always pretty low. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

None of these comments mean anything right now. Let's wait for some actions, we already have plenty of words. 

Go look at some of the comments from Kliff Kingsbury on Josh Rosen right before they traded him and drafted his replacement. Sam fans have a strong emotional investment in keeping him around, so they will run with what Corey Davis said, but it doesn't mean sh*t. 

douglas can't say anything about darnold that could damage his trade value.  at least with adams, he performed on the field and had the stats to warrant significant draft collateral (not nearly as much as he got though).  i am confident that after the pro day on friday the 'leaks's will all come in about how the jets are taking wilson.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yup.  I agree.

You want to know what the Jets really think of Darnold, let their actions do the talking.  We will know by draft day.  Maybe sooner in the event of a trade.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  I agree.

You want to know what the Jets really think of Darnold, let their actions do the talking.  We will know by draft day.  Maybe sooner in the event of a trade.

Thank you.....maybe this will put all this stuff to rest. Only two weeks to our JN Mock, and then we're home free.

55 minutes ago, genot said:

Sam isn't available. If he was, he'd be gone by now. You think Douglas has the expectation that a team offering a 2nd, and was turned down, is going to come back and offer up a 1st. Please. 

Dont think so.

QBs go as predicted and a team like Carolina or the 49rs whoever, cant make a move and are shut out at QB and how much is Sam worth?  

After he signed, i posted a message to all the Darnold detractors. "Ask Corey Davis who the QB will be". If someone can pull that up, that would be cool. Everybody in the league knows that Sam has strong skills. Almost everybody who's coached or played the game knows how hamstrung he's been. On the field. And on the sidelines. 

So good that teams signed Fitzpatrick and Dalton instead of trading for Sam and his strong skills

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Although guys like Diggs, Adams and Hopkins are great WRs, it does seem like the days of Moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin, Julio and the like in their primes is a distant memory.  I just don't see today's top WRs as being as dominating as those guys.  Curious if that's just me.

Moss from his rookie season is one the most dominate wideouts I’ve ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What are the odds that Sam and Wilson "are graded basically the same" by the time draft day rolls around? Seems low to me. 

I have no idea. Just reacting to @football guy's scenarios.

That said, if the Jets take a QB at #2 - I want them to be true believers in that player - a QB that simply cannot let go. Not a guy that view as a slight upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

If these hyenas who call themselves reporters had simply asked Davis, "Did you talk to the Jets about who their QB will be in 2021?" there probably wouldn't be all the chaos there is now. It's impossible to tell from his quotes whether his words are based on his own assumptions or hard information.

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

If these hyenas who call themselves reporters had simply asked Davis, "Did you talk to the Jets about who their QB will be in 2021?" there probably wouldn't be all the chaos there is now. It's impossible to tell from his quotes whether his words are based on his own assumptions or hard information.

Or "have you been in touch with Sam?"

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Hopkins is putting up some pretty sick numbers.  3 consecutive All pros matches Johnson.  Moss had 4, Rice had 10.   Moss and Calvin were freaks.  For my money Moss was the scariest offensive player in the league, unstoppable.  Rice by the numbers dwarfs all of them.  Fitz has been amazingly consistent and was all pro 2.  He was absolutely dominant during the Cardinals run to a SB which lots of us remember. 

The depth today is insane but I agree not necessarily better.  

I think it's a mistake to ignore Tyreek Hill. He's been all pro 3 times already.  He's an insane mismatch and he's putting up big numbers in big spots. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

What do you expect him to say? "Yeah, I signed under the condition that they're getting rid of the guy."

Something any quality WR UFA would have surely demanded.

Juju: "You mean Sam is staying? Hell no... been there and done that.  Get Pittsburgh back on the line!"

• Haha 2

A little different than what the beat writers used for eyeballs

“Obviously, I'm coming with my understanding that Sam is the guy," Davis said in a Zoom call with reporters. "That doesn't scare me away at all. I've seen Sam do great things, and I have all the belief in him. Whatever direction they decide to go, it's on me to make sure that I'm ready."

"He's obviously a great leader," Davis said of the third overall pick in 2018. "I've heard a few things just talking to guys on the team. I'm looking forward to playing with him. He's a competitor. Obviously, we can both learn from each other. He's young, and we're both growing. We can grow together."

Davis made it clear: He expects to be catching balls from Darnold in the fall.

"Yes, that's my understanding," he said. "Correct."

http:// https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31121603/new-york-jets-wr-corey-davis-expects-sam-darnold-team-qb-season

• Upvote 4

IMO If the Jets were seriously considering keeping Darnold I think they would’ve been more active early on, in the vet QB market to bring in legit competition. If the Jets do keep Darnold they will still likely take a QB at 2 imo.

And before anyone mentions Morgan, no! He couldn’t even make the depth chat last year, can’t rely on a project QB look at Stidam in NE. 

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Hopkins is putting up some pretty sick numbers.  3 consecutive All pros matches Johnson.  Moss had 4, Rice had 10.   Moss and Calvin were freaks.  For my money Moss was the scariest offensive player in the league, unstoppable.  Rice by the numbers dwarfs all of them.  Fitz has been amazingly consistent and was all pro 2.  He was absolutely dominant during the Cardinals run to a SB which lots of us remember. 

The depth today is insane but I agree not necessarily better.  

I think it's a mistake to ignore Tyreek Hill. He's been all pro 3 times already.  He's an insane mismatch and he's putting up big numbers in big spots. 

Good points and yes, Hill is a perennial star.

Maybe the difference is that all the older guys I listed were huge.  6'4" and up.  We don't really see that kind of dominance form the big wideouts as much today.  Mike Evans if he stayed healthy.  Not sure why that is.

Oh sh*t!!!! Now, this is juicy.  JUICY!!!!  F all those opinions "reports" - this is hard hitting sh*t right here.

It's official, I've been fencing sitting but I'm pushing my chips in boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING IT BACK IT WITH SAMMY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRADE DOWN AND GET A RANDSOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIGN BRIDGEWATER OR MARIOTA AND LETS F"ING GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Yeah but saying you came here because you expect him to start vs. embarrassing him are little light years apart.  He could have easily just said something like Mims, you know his actual teammate.

“I think Sam is a great quarterback,” Mims said. “I don't really have nothing bad to say about Sam. I think he's a great quarterback. The kid does a lot of really great things, so whatever happens to him if he's here or somewhere else, I think he'll be a great quarterback wherever he lands.”

Just now, GreenFish said:

Zach Wilson’s pro day will be televised. So even if you don’t have the time to watch it, we should have a lot of new video to debate about.

Do pro days really mean much?

If memory serves, Sam had a great pro day in the rain.

• Upvote 1

In all honesty I can see JD giving Sam Darnold 1 more attempt to be that franchise QB. 

I can also see JD signing a viable backup to step in immediately if Sam Darnold falters. 

JD has a ton of draft picks and wants to select talent and players that will improve this roster immediately and I don't believe he's sold on any of the QB's other than TL. 

• Upvote 1