Corey Davis Signed expecting Darnold to be QB1

usanyj

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I think what some of you guys are missing is that it's entirely possible that the Jets haven't decided what they want to do at QB. They are still weighing their options. 

This happens all the time. The QB thing is a big decision. Look at how Arizona, who had the number 1 overall pick, handled Josh Rosen. They didn't trade him until draft weekend (late April). 

I think it's entirely plausible (and, in fact, likely) that the Jet haven't made a final decision on what they want to do with Sam. 

the Jets taking all the time in the world is making the decision for them 

at this point it's not clear who would trade for Sam, or what the offer would be. SFO already has cheap Darnold his name is Josh Rosen. WFT? It might be a 2 for a future draft, not this one. There is no Sam Darnold market

so yeah JD can take all the time in the world 

no answer is still an answer of sorts 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

The harder the Jets lean into the presumption that they are taking Wilson with the #2 pick, the more I am convinced they will stay with Sam and auction the #2 to the highest bidder in the 3-8 range. If they don't like what they are offered then they will pick among Sewell, Pitts and the 3WRs. Right now, if it were me I would take Pitts or a WR and add an OL at either 23 or 34.

I can’t see this being the case. 

Just now, bitonti said:

the Jets taking all the time in the world is making the decision for them 

at this point it's not clear who would trade for Sam, or what the offer would be. SFO already has cheap Darnold his name is Josh Rosen. WFT? It might be a 2 for a future draft, not this one. There is no Sam Darnold market

so yeah JD can take all the time in the world 

no answer is still an answer of sorts 

Again, I just don't agree. Even if you think Douglas should have traded Sam already to maximize the return, it doesn't mean Douglas won't eventually trade him. This is an enormous decision and waiting to see more of Zach Wilson at BYU's pro day (for example) makes some sense. I think there is too much of an obsession over what we can get back for Sam. I think the Jets need to decide if they want to move forward with Sam or draft his replacement, first and foremost. And I genuinely don't think that decision has been made. 

TLDR: If Douglas concludes that he likes Wilson more than Sam, he's not going to let the lack of a market for Sam keep him from taking the QB he wants. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Do pro days really mean much?

If memory serves, Sam had a great pro day in the rain.

It’ll move this thing along and give us something to talk about before the draft. Right now we are talking about the same stuff and every now and then we’ll get a picture we can speculate about.

In terms of helping us make a decision, I think for Zach is does. The Jets will be able to check him medically and we will be able to validate his size. Is he 6’2” 205 or 6’3” 225? The skill set stuff doesn’t matter. More his size and medical stuff.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

TLDR: If Douglas concludes that he likes Wilson more than Sam, he's not going to let the lack of a market for Sam keep him from taking the QB he wants. 

that's true

what I'm saying is we are seeing JD's process play out  in real time

they are smoke screening like crazy to get someone to trade up to 2 for wilson

all this 'he's better than TL stuff' is blatant

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don't think that's the case at all. We need to stop looking through the emotional "face of the franchise, franchise QB" lens and start looking at it purely from an asset perspective. 

Thank you...  but --

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Bingo. There's always the possibility that they want more for #2 recognizing that Wilson is that good in their eyes, but I still think there is a reality where they feel Wilson is the best QB in the draft yet would still trade the pick for the right price. 

I don't understand or agree with this. Not saying you're wrong but i can't wrap head around being in a "maybe" position around drafting Wilson/Franchise QB... that's something you have a lot of planning and work into - and your either in it or not. You're offseason and strategy takes a major..... Major shift between those two songs. 

• Upvote 2

I believe it. If you read between the lines jd has said he believes in building through the draft. Best way for us to build with so many holes is to aquire more picks and trading down from two should give us lots of them. I don't know that we don't draft a qb and maybe even one early but I don't think we select one with number 2 and I think the plan is to start darnold next season I would put my money on that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Okay fair enough, it’s still the truth regardless ?‍♂️

Not its not the truth - you don't know jack sh*t about Corey Davis or his usage. So take your Liotta opinions to some sh*tty pub where you and a bunch of similar curmudgeons can b*tch about everything that isn't Derek Jeter related. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah but saying you came here because you expect him to start vs. embarrassing him are little light years apart.  He could have easily just said something like Mims, you know his actual teammate.

“I think Sam is a great quarterback,” Mims said. “I don't really have nothing bad to say about Sam. I think he's a great quarterback. The kid does a lot of really great things, so whatever happens to him if he's here or somewhere else, I think he'll be a great quarterback wherever he lands.”

You think Mim's take, "I think he'll be a great quarterback wherever he lands" is an endorsement of Sam? 

7 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

You think Mim's take, "I think he'll be a great quarterback wherever he lands" is an endorsement of Sam? 

No.  That's my point.  Mims didnt endorse him but he didnt embarrass and he's on the team.  Meaning Davis didnt need to say as he was being attracted to the team he was being told he'd be catching balls thrown by Sam Darnold.  He could have said what Mims said and not embarrassed him yet instead, he went out of his way to say that he knows more then us about the QB situation.

33 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Okay fair enough, it’s still the truth regardless ?‍♂️

You need more cinnamon in your oatmeal. Oatmeal. Corey Davis is to the WR position what Leo was to the DT position. A very good player who hasn't lived up to his draft position. A jag. Don't be silly.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not its not the truth - you don't know jack sh*t about Corey Davis or his usage. So take your Liotta opinions to some sh*tty pub where you and a bunch of similar curmudgeons can b*tch about everything that isn't Derek Jeter related. 

Brother idk whats up, But why get so emotional over words on a football fan site? Words about a man you don’t know IRL, which makes you getting triggered so hard comical. I said Corey Davis is a JAG that was surrounded by studs and this is how you respond? 

You’d think I’m on here throwing insults and personal attacks to anyone who types anything I disagree with.

Whatever though more power to you and quite honestly you or anyone else who don’t like the things that I type should just block me, save the energy and this petty crap. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

No.  That's my point.  Mims didnt endorse him but he didnt embarrass and he's on the team.  Meaning Davis didnt need to say as he was being attracted to the team he was being told he'd be catching balls thrown by Sam Darnold.  He could have said what Mims said and not embarrassed him yet instead, he went out of his way to say that he knows more then us about the QB situation.

Cool. However I disagree on the bolded bit.

He said non-commital lingo like, "whichever way they decide to go" , "that is my understanding", "that doesnt scare me away at all". Imagine D'Hop saying the prospect of playing with Kyler "doesn't scare me away at all". It just wouldn't happen. 

It's all fluff and open to interpration. He said he's seen Sam "do great things" as well, so anyone can read what they want from it, and they will. 

But if I'm looking for insight as to what the Jets might do, i'd be looking more at Mims, who played with Sam and didn't exactly give a glowing endorsement. 

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Brother idk whats up, But why get so emotional over words on a football fan site? Words about a man you don’t know IRL, which makes you getting triggered so hard comical. I said Corey Davis is a JAG that was surrounded by studs and this is how you respond? 

You’d think I’m on here throwing insults and personal attacks to anyone who types anything I disagree with.

Whatever though more power to you and quite honestly you or anyone else who don’t like the things that I type should just block me, save the energy and this petty crap. 

The Jet's obviously we're targeting Davis. They had no serious discussion with KG or Samuel. Considering how important upgrading the WR position was. I doubt they felt they we're targeting a Jag at the start of FA.

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

no - this is a site where we all come to commiserate collectively - and the only currency we deal in is opinions. It's the entire concept of a forum. So when you come up in here with "Davis a JAG.." type crap, you can expect to get lit up... its a sh*tty opinion - based in obvious miseducation... also, most of us (unfortunately) happen to like the Jets... and you deal in bad takes, disparaging ones, too often. 

Your character/perspective would be better served w/ PHI or DAL... those NFC east teams have a profile of "gimme da best" and "Everyone sucks until proven otherwise" ....and you'd fit right in. 

5 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Cool. However I disagree on the bolded bit.

He said non-commital lingo like, "whichever way they decide to go" , "that is my understanding", "that doesnt scare me away at all". Imagine D'Hop saying the prospect of playing with Kyler "doesn't scare me away at all". It just wouldn't happen. 

It's all fluff and open to interpration. He said he's seen Sam "do great things" as well, so anyone can read what they want from it, and they will. 

But if I'm looking for insight as to what the Jets might do, i'd be looking more at Mims, who played with Sam and didn't exactly give a glowing endorsement. 

I agree, interrupt as you will but I would think the guy who was being attracted to the team vs. the guy stuck here no matter what, might get a little more insight into their direction.  Again, you're trying to attract a player who's career is very much predicated on who is throwing him the ball, I'd assume him and his agent wanted to understand who was throwing him the ball.  A conversation from a week ago with the coaching staff vs. Mims making a statement over a month ago, are quite different, IMO.

We shall see!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no - this is a site where we all come to commiserate collectively - and the only currency we deal in is opinions. It's the entire concept of a forum. So when you come up in here with "Davis a JAG.." type crap, you can expect to get lit up... its a sh*tty opinion - based in obvious miseducation... also, most of (unfortunately) happen to like the Jets... and you deal in bad takes, disparaging ones, too often. 

Christ, again there is a block button you are free to use. Typing stuff like this is pointless.

Have a beautiful day though, maybe I made you feel better about yourself because you sure showed me that you are the take lord. I will go crawl back into my corner now and mind my takes around you ? 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Arizona completely screwed up the Rosen deal by waiting until after they drafted Murray.  Teams like the Giants already did their due diligence and weren't going off script at that point.  The Cardinals might have gotten more for him if they made him available much earlier.  

Exactly. There was zero question that Murray was their pick at #1 OA. They should have put Rosen up for bid before the draft,

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Christ, again there is a block button you are free to use. Typing stuff like this is pointless.

Have a beautiful day though, maybe I made you feel better about yourself because you sure showed me that you are the take lord. I will go crawl back into my corner now and mind my takes around you ? 

No, just have a better opinion. Why you would think Davis is a JAG simply because you've heard who AJ Brown is, is on you... Doesn't mean you can't change. 

55 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Thank you...  but --

I don't understand or agree with this. Not saying you're wrong but i can't wrap head around being in a "maybe" position around drafting Wilson/Franchise QB... that's something you have a lot of planning and work into - and your either in it or not. You're offseason and strategy takes a major..... Major shift between those two songs. 

I think each player’s career is a spectrum of outcomes - the players they’re surrounded with and system matter along with their own work ethic and ability to be a pro. Skill set and how they translate is just part of it. Quarterback is even more complicated because of the complexity of defenses, windows tightening up, and the need to process quickly and study like a madman.

None of these guys will or won’t be successful. Everybody’s just a bunch of probabilities of a variety of outcomes - superstar, top 10 guy, league average, journeyman, out of the league.

If Douglas looks at through things through that lens - which I think is the right way to do it - he’s probably largely splitting hairs between any of 2-4 QB’s and if he thinks there’s a 50% chance one guy works out and a 45% chance another does it’s probably smarter to take the 45% chance with a buttload of additional capital...that takes pressure off the pick, takes the pressure off him, and also provides the pick with a better supporting cast.

Honestly I think anyone who thinks they can look at the quarterbacks in this class and identify who will have the best career is kidding themselves. And NFL teams have been as guilty of that as anyone...and repeatedly get it wrong.

It’s probably a little exaggerated but I actually think sitting at 2 and taking a quarterback if there’s a good offer on the table is borderline irresponsible.

Also who’s to say the guy another team is l trading up for, say it’s Wilson, is Douglas’ top guy? Right now Wilson is the hyped dude and it behooves Douglas to have teams below the Jets believe he’s interested. But what if he gets a big offer to move down from Carolina, has Fields and Lance at 2/3, and thinks he can land one at 8 and worst case can flip some capital from the trade down to get up a couple picks and secure one of those two?

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think what some of you guys are missing is that it's entirely possible that the Jets haven't decided what they want to do at QB. They are still weighing their options. 

This happens all the time. The QB thing is a big decision. Look at how Arizona, who had the number 1 overall pick, handled Josh Rosen. They didn't trade him until draft weekend (late April). 

I think it's entirely plausible (and, in fact, likely) that the Jet haven't made a final decision on what they want to do with Sam. 

JD knows that he's running it back with Sam next season, otherwise like Bit said Sam would have been traded by now.  The only unknown is whether he can drum up enough interest in Wilson to get a team that'll part with a trade package that JD considers worth trading down.

Otherwise, it's going to be JD's stated philosophy of building the foundation of the team starting with the OL and DL so that the Jets can impose their will on opponents. Say hello to our new RT Sewell or we'll be looking at a huge draft pick haul.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Big_Slick said:

JD knows that he's running it back with Sam next season, otherwise like Bit said Sam would have been traded by now.  The only unknown is whether he can drum up enough interest in Wilson to get a team that'll part with a trade package that JD considers worth trading down.

Otherwise, it's going to be JD's stated philosophy of building the foundation of the team starting with the OL and DL so that the Jets can impose their will on opponents. Say hello to our new RT Sewell or we'll be looking at a huge draft pick haul.

If the Jets sit at 2 and take a tackle then Douglas should be relieved on the spot. That’s the one thing that they can’t do. 

• Upvote 1