Corey Davis Signed expecting Darnold to be QB1

usanyj

11 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

Exactly.  And he also said he wanted Jamal Adams to be a Jet for life.  

I think we should all just take a step back and wait for 04.29 and enjoy the ride. I do believe Sam is gone whether it be this upcoming offseason or next but he is not the long-term answer .

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

What are the odds that Sam and Wilson "are graded basically the same" by the time draft day rolls around? Seems low to me. 

I agree. It's almost impossible to grade Wilson one way or the other after only one good season against very low level talented teams. Add in the fact that he's had two shoulder surgeries.

Maybe - and I mean *maybe* the combine would have helped him but with only a carefully scripted pro-day that is not going to change a currently employed GM's grade, unless he bombs it and then he sinks real fast.

The media will cream all over this guy but that means crap to the guys who's jobs may be on the line if they take him.

Just now, Big_Slick said:

I agree. It's almost impossible to grade Wilson one way or the other after only one good season against very low level talented teams. Add in the fact that he's had two shoulder surgeries.

Maybe - and I mean *maybe* the combine would have helped him but with only a carefully scripted pro-day that is not going to change a currently employed GM's grade, unless he bombs it and then he sinks real fast.

The media will cream all over this guy but that means crap to the guys who's jobs may be on the line if they take him.

Same can be said about keeping Sam . If sam struggles and the rookies look great ... then ugh oh 

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Here's the best way I can explain it. 

If they think Sam Darnold can realistically be Tony Romo-caliber and that Zach Wilson can be Russell Wilson-caliber, but they can give up the chance to select Zach Wilson by trading down and acquiring a ton of picks that could bring in elite players at other positions, where do you lean? 

So lets use another example. Lets figure the Jets had two offers on the table, tell me what you think is more valuable: 

• 1(#2) to Carolina for 1(#8), 2(#39), future 1st, and a future 3rd

QB Sam Darnold-Tony Romo caliber 

• Darnold to San Francisco for 2(#43) and 2022 4th

I'll take door number two and draft Wilson.  I get the debate but I've seen enough of Sam.  He will be better than he has been but even Romo would be a pretty big improvement, which I don't think is likely at this point.  And even if we use the pick on Wilson, we still have a lot of picks to use.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'll take door number two and draft Wilson.  I get the debate but I've seen enough of Sam.  He will be better than he has been but even Romo would be a pretty big improvement, which I don't think is likely at this point.  And even if we use the pick on Wilson, we still have a lot of picks to use.

Darnold has a lot of natural talent, but has atrocious QB fundamentals which are ultimately more important than talent.

Wilson is the safer bet for future success. Has more talent than Darnold, and already excels in things that he still cannot do 3 years into the league.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I Just watched the full interview and the biggest thing he said was he had still not talked to Darnold and just got his number. It is over a week since he signed and Darnold had not reached out to him. That says much more than anything else. If Darnold thought he would be here he would have reached out by now. I know he texted Becton the day he was drafted.

Darnold is not stupid, the jets have the 2nd pick for a reason and he knows he’s gone.  He’s laying low until he finds a new team.

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

I Just watched the full interview and the biggest thing he said was he had still not talked to Darnold and just got his number. It is over a week since he signed and Darnold had not reached out to him. That says much more than anything else. If Darnold thought he would be here he would have reached out by now. I know he texted Becton the day he was drafted.

IMO, Mark Sanchez, who is Darnold's friend, spoke for him.

To parapharse "Probably best for everyone if Sam plays somewhere else" 

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

If they think Sam Darnold can realistically be Tony Romo-caliber and that Zach Wilson can be Russell Wilson-caliber, but they can give up the chance to select Zach Wilson by trading down and acquiring a ton of picks that could bring in elite players at other positions, where do you lean? Leave the accomplishments out of it, just purely focus on the playing ability... 

So lets use another example. Lets figure the Jets had two offers on the table, tell me what you think is more valuable: 

QB Sam Darnold (Tony Romo-caliber)
TE Kyle Pitts (Darren Waller-caliber)
CB Greg Newsome (Darius Slay-caliber)
2022 1st round pick
2023 3rd round pick  

QB Zach Wilson- (Russell Wilson-caliber
TE Pat Freiermuth (Hunter Henry-caliber) 
2022 4th round pick 

Obviously this is a flawed way of looking at it because you really don't know how these picks will turn out, but they're projecting based on their evaluations

Forget everything else; If they think they can squeeze Romo out of Darnold then the only path forward should be trading back for the betterment of the roster. 

but yea I think you have to make a decision on that first. The approach to trading back is fundamentally different 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I'm not sure Darnold thinks he's going to be the QB.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

The harder the Jets lean into the presumption that they are taking Wilson with the #2 pick, the more I am convinced they will stay with Sam and auction the #2 to the highest bidder in the 3-8 range. If they don't like what they are offered then they will pick among Sewell, Pitts and the 3WRs. Right now, if it were me I would take Pitts or a WR and add an OL at either 23 or 34.

I like Pitts but if JD has to make a pick at #2 OA it's going to be Sewell. Almost zero chance of being a bust and he fits JD's build philosophy (OL and DL imposing their will on opponents), Sewells upside is a perennial Pro Bowl and possible HOF player and he fits the SF style offensive Salah is going to implement.

The Jets literally would never say anything else. As of today, Sam is the QB. They are not doing to share their plan of drafting Wilson in any circumstance. The problem I have with the trade down idea is that to me the projection of Sam being anything more than a bottom third QB is more wishful than thinking Wilson can become a Top 10 QB. I just cannot wrap my head around continuing with Sam. In my opinion if we trade down we still need to pick a QB unless we are really high on Morgan.

I think Darnold knows its his last chance at being a Jet and that he has one last opportunity. Darnold could be great we dont kknow thanks to Gase but this is the year we find out and find our quickly. Also further on that Saleh took the job and wanted the job you dont think talking point one and the very first thing they spoke about was the QB situation. Saleh and Joe knew they were building through the draft since day one, already decided to keep sam and build the team. Also decided that Sam can be salvaged and useful this year not only in possibly playing at a much more efficient and high level due to system, but also to allow for team to get better around him.

Its not some charity, Sam has talent and will be expected to play well. But he is getting a pass for being a good soldier, not bad mouthing the FO, ownership and team, and not bad mouthing thier HC choice. People try to act like that aint part of this whole situation, but I got news for you it very much is. 

Jamal talked smack - gone. Bell smack on gase, gone. Joe runs a tight ship and you always have to honor the team. Just like Ravens. Sam did that all the while he was running for his life and given no real chance to succeed, but he played ball and now is going to get his chance. It is a win win. 

All you guys thinking that there is chance that Sam is not starting are silly. Everyone knows it. It is common sense. Only on Jet nation where we deep dive into the realm of Football fantasy and outrageous ideas as if they held any water would not taking advantage of the draft even come up. We are trading back or taking the OT. That is it

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, johnnysd said:

The Jets literally would never say anything else. As of today, Sam is the QB. They are not doing to share their plan of drafting Wilson in any circumstance. The problem I have with the trade down idea is that to me the projection of Sam being anything more than a bottom third QB is more wishful than thinking Wilson can become a Top 10 QB. I just cannot wrap my head around continuing with Sam. In my opinion if we trade down we still need to pick a QB unless we are really high on Morgan.

THat’s where the whole decision breaks down, that darnold can be good.  But i get it, douglas wants value for him and if he positions the team any way other than, we’re not sure if we’re trading darnold despite picking 2nd with wilson and fields sitting there, he’s unlikely to max out on a darnold trade.  I think everyone is just waiting for Wilson’s pro day b/c that seems like the only missing piece of info/intel before the jets will finally have to make a decision.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

IIn terms of helping us make a decision, I think for Zach is does. The Jets will be able to check him medically and we will be able to validate his size. Is he 6’2” 205 or 6’3” 225? The skill set stuff doesn’t matter. More his size and medical stuff.

Looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

Demonstrating his skill set against top level competition matters a great deal.

48 minutes ago, football guy said:

If they think Sam Darnold can realistically be Tony Romo-caliber and that Zach Wilson can be Russell Wilson-caliber, but they can give up the chance to select Zach Wilson by trading down and acquiring a ton of picks that could bring in elite players at other positions, where do you lean? Leave the accomplishments out of it, just purely focus on the playing ability... 

QB Sam Darnold (Tony Romo-caliber)
TE Kyle Pitts (Darren Waller-caliber)
CB Greg Newsome (Darius Slay-caliber)
2022 1st round pick
2023 3rd round pick  

QB Zach Wilson- (Russell Wilson-caliber)
TE Pat Freiermuth (Hunter Henry-caliber) 
2022 4th round pick 

Obviously this is a flawed way of looking at it because you really don't know how these picks will turn out, but they're projecting based on their evaluations

I know you are just sharing your insights from what you are hearing, but I usre hope this is not the way the Jets are thinking about the QB position.  Evaluate the QBs.  Sam, Wilson, Fields and others.  If you like Sam, keep him and build around him.  If you like Wilson/Fields draft him and build around him.

The flaw in the logic to this approach is you are letting others make your QB decision for you.  If others like Sam enough to give you a great offer, then you take a QB in the draft.  If other GMs don't think Sam has much value in a trade and don't make a good offer, then you keep him as your starter and pass on guys in the drafty.  Seems like a bizarre approach to me.  The QB decision should determine the best course of action in trade market, not the other way around.

Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I know you are just sharing your insights from what you are hearing, but I usre hope this is not the way the Jets are thinking about the QB position.  Evaluate the QBs.  Sam, Wilson, Fields and others.  If you like Sam, keep him and build around him.  If you like Wilson/Fields draft him and build around him.

The flaw in the logic to this approach is you are letting others make your QB decision for you.  If others like Sam enough to give you a great offer, then you take a QB in the draft.  If other GMs don't think Sam has much value in a trade and don't make a good offer, then you keep him as your starter and pass on guys in the drafty.  Seems like a bizarre approach to me.  The QB decision should determine the best course of action in trade market, not the other way around.

Completely agree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

THat’s where the whole decision breaks down, that darnold can be good.  But i get it, douglas wants value for him and if he positions the team any way other than, we’re not sure if we’re trading darnold despite picking 2nd with wilson and fields sitting there, he’s unlikely to max out on a darnold trade.  I think everyone is just waiting for Wilson’s pro day b/c that seems like the only missing piece of info/intel before the jets will finally have to make a decision.

Is the physical part of the pro day or separate?

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

not entirely true.  the underpinning assumption in what football guy writes is that the jets actually don't think there's much of a difference between the ceilings of darnold and wilson, despite how darnold played last year.  now if douglas/saleh really don't think there's any difference and darnold can become something like tony romo, then yes, the trade market may weigh more in terms of the decision if there's a huge disparity between what they could get by trading out of 2 vs what darnold would bring.  

on the other hand, if they view wilson as a superior prospect, and then combine this with his being a rookie vs a 4th year player, then the trade values don't carry as much weight.

• Upvote 1