Corey Davis Signed expecting Darnold to be QB1

usanyj

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

facts:  JD was not Gase's boss and had ZERO ability to fire him after his first season or at any time during last season.  Believe whatever you want, but that's the reality.

The jets are an organization. If JD didn’t have the balls to tell CJ that Adam Gase was destroying our prized franchise QB then he should be fired tomorrow. The fact is that they didn’t think Gase was ruining Darnold until we went 2-14, and even then they only reluctantly fired Gase. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The jets are an organization. If JD didn’t have the balls to tell CJ that Adam Gase was destroying our prized franchise QB then he should be fired tomorrow. The fact is that they didn’t think Gase was ruining Darnold until we went 2-14, and even then they only reluctantly fired Gase. 

You insist on ignoring the reality and you want to believe your own narrative instead.  I know... fiction is fun Nico.

5 hours ago, QB1 said:

Sorry I don’t buy this for one second and it feels very revisionist on the part of the Jets if true... If Douglas really thought that the coaching was so bad that it was destroying Darnold then why wasn’t Gase fired after year 1 or after week 4 last year.

Douglas couldn’t fire Gase after yr 1 or after 4 games. They each reported to CJohnson 

There was no known pandemic Jan ‘20.

Douglas is now in charge of all football matters. 

• Upvote 2

I was watching the Boomer and Gio show this morning and this subject of Kim Jones / NFL Network asking Davis this specific question. Boomer texted his source within the Jets organization , “was Davis prepped for possible bland non speculative answers and statements”. And the response from the “Source” was YES he was. The Jets are keeping All Options regarding the Quarterback position open until they make “The Decision”. And Davis responded to another question “that he is prepared to play with Whoever the Jets chose as the QB”.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

An update on this from some info I heard this morning.

Boomer & Gio were discussing this and Gio asked Boomer to text his "source" within the Jets to ask them if Davis was given some prompts by the Jets on how to answer some questions he might get from the media (ex. QB questions). The answer back to Boomer was "Yes, he was".

Also, apparently in another part of the interview, Davis said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) that he is ready to play with whoever the QB might be.

Nothing to see here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, ManCave Analyst said:

I was watching the Boomer and Gio show this morning and this subject of Kim Jones / NFL Network asking Davis this specific question. Boomer texted his source within the Jets organization , “was Davis prepped for possible bland non speculative answers and statements”. And the response from the “Source” was YES he was. The Jets are keeping All Options regarding the Quarterback position open until they make “The Decision”. And Davis responded to another question “that he is prepared to play with Whoever the Jets chose as the QB”.

I said this yesterday without any sources, that the Jets didn’t like the Mims/Permian interviews

How did I know this?

Because in mims second interview he made it a point to praise Darnold unlike the previous time, as if he was told to do so. 

8 minutes ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Fly by the seat of your pants decision making in Florham Park it feels like.

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I said this yesterday without any sources, that the Jets didn’t like the Mims/Permian interviews

How did I know this?

Because in mims second interview he made it a point to praise Darnold unlike the previous time, as if he was told to do so. 

The mims comments were the most telling since he only played a few games with darnold and a few with Flacco and looked better with Flacco.  In the end, at some point we’ll all be sitting here in late April saying it was obvious that darnold would be traded and the jets were taking Wilson.  Douglas has proven to be a master negotiator, and he doesn’t want to be shortchanged in trading darnold.  That’s all that’s going on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The mims comments were the most telling since he only played a few games with darnold and a few with Flacco and looked better with Flacco.  In the end, at some point we’ll all be sitting here in late April saying it was obvious that darnold would be traded and the jets were taking Wilson.  Douglas has proven to be a master negotiator, and he doesn’t want to be shortchanged in trading darnold.  That’s all that’s going on. 

super troopers yes GIF by Fox Searchlight

The point is that the Jets have not made a Final Decision regarding the QB situation. They are going to see Wilson and Fields at their Pro Days. They will collectively make a choice and don’t want to create any controversy nor ruin any Trade Value for Sam Darnold or the #2 Pick. So Davis was tutored to what he should say to be supportive and not spark a controversy. This should put an end to this “post” subject .

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, ManCave Analyst said:

The point is that the Jets have not made a Final Decision regarding the QB situation. They are going to see Wilson and Fields at their Pro Days. They will collectively make a choice and don’t want to create any controversy nor ruin any Trade Value for Sam Darnold or the #2 Pick. So Davis was tutored to what he should say to be supportive and not spark a controversy. This should put an end to this “post” subject .

Part of the reason they haven’t made up their minds is because if wilson kills his pro day, that’s when the jets will start to get the real trade offers and if football guy is correct, that’s when the jets will finally be able to assess where the value proposition is.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Name one time where someone has gotten fired for doing something similar. Hell, I'd argue that one of the best executives in the game did the exact same thing just a few years ago: Brandon Beane.

Mike Maccagnan ultimately got fired for passing on generational quarterbacks because he believed in a weaker incumbent.  Had he taken Watson or Mahommes, he'd still be here.

The GM's that are successful in this league have legitimate quarterbacks.  Not JAGs.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, football guy said:

The point is that you can like multiple players, and you can like certain things about a prospect - including his upside - better than your incumbent, but still have reasons for keeping the incumbent. The Jets really like Sam. In fact, they love him; they think he has what it takes to be a great QB and at the very least can be a starter you can win with. I don't know how much they love Zach Wilson yet, but I'm sure they will love his upside and financial benefit. They could ultimately determine that Wilson is better in a vacuum (I'm not sure), but it does not necessarily mean they'll take him. 

At the end of the day, it's simple: 

• QB Sam Darnold + value for #2 pick; vs. 
  • QB #2 pick + value for Sam Darnold 

If a team meets the price of #2, they'll probably take the deal. If not, they'll probably trade Sam. 

The issue I have with this line of thinking is the possibility that if we keep Darnold that we will be in the market for a QB in 2022.  For 3 years, he has underperformed.  There are legit reasons for that, and not all of it is his fault, but I would think this analysis needs to consider the impact in 2022, which would mean:

• QB Sam Darnold + value for #2 pick - ($12M cap in 2022 (difference between 5th year option & rookie 2nd year cap hit) or draft capital needed to go get QB in 2022, which could be two 1s plus).
  • QB #2 pick + value for Sam Darnold 

If we keep Darnold and he succeeds in being an above average NFL QB in 2022, then we have to pay him his 5th year option or long term deal.  Both of which I would happily do - if he turns his career around.  But if it is antoher year like this past year, then we have to find a QB next year, which may mean giving up a lot of the draft captial gained in trade this year.

I know that I probably think more like a fan than a professional NFL talent evaluator.  But there is a good reason for that.  Either way, I love the insights you bring and the different perspectives that you are sharing (even if I happen to disagree with this one).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Grandy said:

These are all legitimate viewpoints on the future of the team. Good writeup.

I've watched everything from the guy and my opinion differs, but it's not my job. I'm open to trading down if the package that we get is akin to the RGIII one due to the flexibility, but if they like a Wilson or Fields enough you don't play it cute. The only definite loss is if we stay pat at 2 and take a non-QB. The plan to take a QB or trade down is a smart one.

Yeah but you know what, your entitled to an informed opinion; I think a lot of fans on here feel like I’m trying to “convince” them. I’m not... I’m just trying to rationalize how the team sees it. Doesn’t mean they’re right or wrong, and it doesn’t make you wrong for seeing it differently regardless what your profession is. 

Personally, Wilson is by far my favorite QB prospect since Mahomes, and I like him better than I did Mahomes. I thought Mahomes was fascinating and would thrive with the right team/falter with the wrong one. I see Wilson in that same light. He’s got an explosive trait to him that most players don’t have. Despite those personal feelings, I do understand why the Jets are strongly considering the trade down. I think Darnold has what it takes to be very good, and I think the only way the Jets will get out of this mess and establish sustainable winning is by building a talent rich roster through the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, football guy said:

The Jets really like Sam. In fact, they love him; they think he has what it takes to be a great QB and at the very least can be a starter you can win with.

If this is true, we'll be talking about a new GM/HC sooner than I expected.

I absolutely get the line of thinking that a trade down from 2 is worth more to the organization than Zach Wilson.

However, that anyone could watch 3 years of Sam Darnold, plus his Jr. year of college and "love" him... We're absolutely ****ed if that's the case.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, MykePM said:

I actually really like the approach you've heard that the Jets are taking.  My only question is, what do you think Joe D. and team will do if none of the offers they get for #2 or for Sam are fair market value in their opinion?  Will they take what they feel is the closest to market value for one of those assets, or will they choose to keep both of them?

It may seem unlikely that this scenario plays out, particularly given the hype around Zach Wilson right now, but there was also major buzz that the reduced cap was going to signal armageddon around the NFL with significant players being surprisingly cut and bargain-basement prices on top free agents - and that appears to have turned out to be a Y2K-like false alarm.  So, I'm reluctant to believe that either receiving a haul for #2 or getting at least a 2nd round pick for Sam is a given.

EDIT: I see that you pretty much answered this question in another thread, so never mind:

I did kind of answer but reading it now it came off differently than I intended. I really don’t know what they’d do if they didn’t receive a fair offer for either. FMV is a tricky term because it’s really not what you want; you want and ask for more, but “settle” in your FMV range. If a team overestimated what the fair market is, they’ll readjust and reevaluate. 

What I meant was if their evaluations of Wilson and Darnold are close they’ll favor moving forward with Darnold IF they’re getting FMV (or close to it) for #2, but if they’re not getting FMV for either asset then I think they would ultimately trade Darnold. Why? It’s easier for the Jets to trade Darnold for less than what they deem as fair because there will be more suitors willing to give something close to what they want for him vs. what they want for #2, and you can get creative with future conditional picks if teams aren’t ponying up enough this year (see Colts-Wentz).

What are you going to take: a 2021 3rd and 2022 conditional 3rd for Darnold, or 1st, 2nd, 2022 2nd, and 2023 2nd for #2? Neither would be what the Jets deem to be fair, but what’s “more” fair? If they feel they’re both really far off, I guess there exists the possibility they would hold Darnold and take Wilson

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If this is true, we'll be talking about a new GM/HC sooner than I expected.

I absolutely get the line of thinking that a trade down from 2 is worth more to the organization than Zach Wilson.

However, that anyone could watch 3 years of Sam Darnold, plus his Jr. year of college and "love" him... We're absolutely ****ed if that's the case.

His best WR his junior year was Deontay Burnett. What's he doing now.Sound familiar.

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

I did kind of answer but reading it now it came off differently than I intended. I really don’t know what they’d do if they didn’t receive a fair offer for either. FMV is a tricky term because it’s really not what you want; you want and ask for more, but “settle” in your FMV range. If a team overestimated what the fair market is, they’ll readjust and reevaluate. 

What I meant was if their evaluations of Wilson and Darnold are close they’ll favor moving forward with Darnold IF they’re getting FMV (or close to it) for #2, but if they’re not getting FMV for either asset then I think they would ultimately trade Darnold. Why? It’s easier for the Jets to trade Darnold for less than what they deem as fair because there will be more suitors willing to give something close to what they want for him vs. what they want for #2, and you can get creative with future conditional picks if teams aren’t ponying up enough this year (see Colts-Wentz).

What are you going to take: a 2021 3rd and 2022 conditional 3rd for Darnold, or 1st, 2nd, 2022 2nd, and 2023 2nd for #2? Neither would be what the Jets deem to be fair, but what’s “more” fair? If they feel they’re both really far off, I guess there exists the possibility they would hold Darnold and take Wilson

Unless Wilson and Fields absolutely fall flat on their faces on their pro days, I think two questions will be answered. 1) when the Jets see and meet these guys, they will have their answer as to what they are going to do. 2) These guys, or just one of them, light it up, they will have no shortage of suitors for the pick. And I don't think they will have to worry about FMV.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

His best WR his junior year was Deontay Burnett. What's he doing now.Sound familiar.

Sounds familiar in terms of the never ending list of excuses why the guy who's performance is worst in the league is actually very good.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, QB1 said:

Sorry I don’t buy this for one second and it feels very revisionist on the part of the Jets if true... If Douglas really thought that the coaching was so bad that it was destroying Darnold then why wasn’t Gase fired after year 1 or after week 4 last year.

Because (1) it wasn’t his call; and (2) Douglas is a collaborative guy that doesn’t seek to step on the coaching staff’s toes. 

Furthermore, I can’t say for sure this was Douglas’s view; it’s apparently the general consensus in the organization... Douglas is one of many. 

Douglas had a good relationship with Gase, but don’t let that fool you: his contract was structured in a way that he would outlive Gase if it didn’t work out. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Sounds familiar in terms of the never ending list of excuses why the guy who's performance is worst in the league is actually very good.

Why is it an excuse. I knew you would come back with that. Look at what he did as a sophomore. Why did he perform at such a higher level. Was it luck, or the talent around him.

Just now, genot said:

Why is it an excuse. I knew you would come back with that. Look at what he did as a sophomore. Why did he perform at such a higher level. Was it luck, or the talent around him.

Have you ever considered that Sam's sophomore year in college was the true outlier, in comparison to the following 4 years of inconsistent and even downright poor play? 

Just a thought . . . 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ManCave Analyst said:

Yes. I posted this a few pages back.  It was from Cimini’s article. I don’t recall any writer stating that in one of their tweets...QB talk produces eyeballs, sports talk radio and clicks. 

"Obviously, I'm coming with my understanding that Sam is the guy," Davis said in a Zoom call with reporters. "That doesn't scare me away at all. I've seen Sam do great things, and I have all the belief in him. Whatever direction they decide to go, it's on me to make sure that I'm ready."

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yeah but you know what, your entitled to an informed opinion; I think a lot of fans on here feel like I’m trying to “convince” them. I’m not... I’m just trying to rationalize how the team sees it. Doesn’t mean they’re right or wrong, and it doesn’t make you wrong for seeing it differently regardless what your profession is. 

Personally, Wilson is by far my favorite QB prospect since Mahomes, and I like him better than I did Mahomes. I thought Mahomes was fascinating and would thrive with the right team/falter with the wrong one. I see Wilson in that same light. He’s got an explosive trait to him that most players don’t have. Despite those personal feelings, I do understand why the Jets are strongly considering the trade down. I think Darnold has what it takes to be very good, and I think the only way the Jets will get out of this mess and establish sustainable winning is by building a talent rich roster through the draft.

And there are very few places better for a QB and his development than a Andy Reid coached team. People can question his gameday clock management etc..but he does know how to develop QBs and call plays on gameday

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1