24 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

you saw the 49ers defense rigght and get why they would want the guys we picked up right? its kind based on their play being good.

If they take O line, WR/edge with first two picks taht woudl be completely acceptable, really they dont have to take any offense till second round WR OT and we woudl be good. THey coudl take edge and CB in round 1 or 2 its all very flexible. 

The NY Jets have been trying to do this literally for 20 years.

I like Saleh as our head  coach but my one great fear in the coaching search and the reason I wanted and offensive guy was what seems to be happening to the jets.

The GM is going all out to get the new head guy (a Defensive guru) everything he wants.

We have the worst offense the league.

We have done nothing at this point at QB, Oline, TE or RB.  We have upgrade Wr on paper but we shall see.

Even on defense they have done ZERO at CB and I don't buy that they love the guys we have here already they are all totally unproven.

Getting Lawson was a really good move but the rest of our dline is not chopped liver and guys like Rankins and Curry are pure luxury pickups.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 2
34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like Saleh as our head  coach but my one great fear in the coaching search and the reason I wanted and offensive guy was what seems to be happening to the jets.

The GM is going all out to get the new head guy (a Defensive guru) everything he wants.

We have done nothing at this point at QB, Oline, TE or RB.  We have upgrade Wr on paper but we shall see.

Even on defense they have done ZERO at CB and I don't buy that they love the guys we have here already they are all totally unproven.

Getting Lawson was a really good move but the rest of our dline is not chopped liver and guys like Rankins and Curry are pure luxury pickups.

Im 100% in agreement. Taken by themselves the signings are not bad, but it just seems like exactly the same thing we have done forever., investing almost all of our resources in the defense and especially the defensive line. Defensive line was already our biggest strength and one of our deepest positions and we are fixated on it. Yet OL is being ignored again, we hired literally one guy and he is to be honest a complete scrub and OL is still our weakest group by far. We are essentially forcing ourselves to pick OL early, but will you be surprised if we pick CB and LB early over offense. I still think we go QB at #2, but I have no confidence we then try and get weapons and protection for Wilson,, I think we wind up with defense again and then some late round offensive selections. I have to be honest that so far I do not see a whole lot of difference in philosophy from Idzik and MacCagnan. JD seems to be cheaper in FA, but the team building approach is seemingly the same. To paraphrase Saleh "all D, no O" JD did not have a stellar draft last year we need to hit on like 5 players in this draft to have any hope. In all honesty I kind of fear that we are just staring at 3 more years of ground and pound offense allergic football and a reset again. Where the Johnsons will hire yet another DC as head coach  Not the approach I would take.

• Upvote 2

Like the signing, waited to be official , and did not want to jinx. Situational pass rusher who has always generated pressure. Sign a corner and we are on to the draft.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

No. They want to overpay for WRs with bad hips, and not draft an OL that can grow and be together for the next 10 years

It was said repeatedly that the strength of the draft is OL, CB and WR, that it lacks at DL.   

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Here's the problem with that and trying to build a defense to win a championship rather than offense.

If you build a good offense you are competitive for years - offense holds.  Look at the good offenses around the league.  They're in the playoffs every year.

Now, look at that SF team you just mentioned.  They go to the Super Bowl...and next year they win 4 games.

Idea being, great defenses have a two year window to win a Super Bowl.  A great offense offers an extended period of time.

Bottom line, if you're building a team from the ground up, like the Jets are right now - we should focus on offense.  

Let's see what the roster looks like opening day, but as of right now it certainly seems JD doesn't get it - and that's worrisome.  

I dont fault you with that stance at all. but I think you can focus at building the whole team and btw defense wins the SB every time.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I think the upgrade at WR is much more than paper. This isnt the difference between ATL or Caroline, this is our scrub WR group to the two new guys that are 100 percent better than everyone last year!

We have other position to get better at for sure, but I think there is alot of improvement, literally every signing is better than what we had before. 

Rankins and Curry are needed for saleh system to work and also take pressure off our weak CB. We def need to address them and we have time in FA and draft to do that, but i get it the 20 years of GMs not really getting us better leaves us fans to worry. But look at the move he literally addressed WR and Edge day 1.  You ahve to like what we ahve seen not only in people but also contracts are fair and give us flexibility. 

I dont know how much we get out of curry etc who does, but id bet my paycheck that Salah and Joe think they can get good play from them in a role on the team, and unlike the last guy, saleh plans to use them doing what they do best, that jsut so happens to be the foundation of what the team wants to do. 

Great pick ups - 

Let me also say that even in the case that all these signing do not live up to their expected play - that is alot different that the Team not addressing the obvious holes on the roster. 

Every guy build the talent level on our team up, every single one. That is a good thing. We are getting better with every singing, I for one and very exctied to see our team make smart moves finally.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
5 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I know.  Actually makes sense going oline in the draft, and we're switching to a 4-3.

I'm just going to be on edge 'til JD actually addresses oline in the draft.

He has to.  Right?

If he does not I might join the darkside.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So Zuniga is a bust already is he?

Zuniga is more three technique tackle than end.  Said Ourlads:

JABARI ZUNIGA: Florida, 6033 264 4.64. Two-year starter, Marietta, GA. Started games all four years. Has been used as a versatile inside-out player who can take advantage of interior blockers and tackles. He has a style that may be too quick for guards and centers and too powerful for the tackles. The tools are there to be developed and the flashes on tape go to show there is a high ceiling of edge prospects in the class. He had a hard time staying healthy but if a team can pinpoint the right role for him and he can stay on the field, watch out. Built for the trenches, both inside and outside. Thick and powerful upper body with long arms and big hands. Thick from the waist to knees with basketball player calves and ankles. Versatile inside-out defender who has been equally productive from both spots. Has a stifling initial punch to the  blocker’s chest with a low base, often standing the blocker up. Outstanding straight line burst in both tight areas and in space. Gets across gaps with urgency. Plays with different gears, shows the ability to close hard and fast. A violent finisher. Has flashed dominant traits all four years of his career. Has failed to consistently put things together, never quite lived up to the hype and potential. Will lose track of gap assignments at times. Plays an aggressive style that can sometimes come across as reckless and roaming. May be a player without a true position. Has durability issues. 2019 stats (6 games): 14 T, 7 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 QBH. Edge speed:left 1.97, right 2.12. OSR:2/25. Third/fourth round. (A-32 7/8, H-10 3/8, BP-29, 10-1.64).

Everything I’ve read says this draft is weak in DL depth. I like the strategy to build the depth with low cost FA. These are role players, not pro-bowlers. That’s why they are FA... duh.

• Upvote 1