Jump to content

Do your friends and colleagues break your balls as a Jets fan?


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've never gotten my balls busted.  But almost always am greeted with a peculiar look and "you are a Jets fan?" Or "How did you become a Jets fan"?  

People are generally confused how someone with no geographical connection could make such a terrible choice.

How did you become a Jets fan? I’ll extend this question to @Paradis and @Beerfish too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They used to.  Now, no one but other Jets fans even care enough to make fun of the Jets.

Hi. I’ve been defending a likely serial rapist all week at work, explaining why it’s smart to gamble three firsts on a likely serial rapist to avoid drafting a brittle Mormon as an alternative to the

Hi guys, my first post ever.... Got here in USA in 98 , Jets fan since. Live in Poughkeepsie NY. In laws from Philly, Eagles fans, surrounded by Giants, Bills and ****triots.....Taking crap on regular

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

How did you become a Jets fan? I’ll extend this question to @Paradis and @Beerfish too.

I was mostly an interloper as a child, but backed the old man as a browns fan until they folded when i was 18 and went off to college. I needed a new team and then the Monday night miracle happened and i was like - Jets.... this is my team now. My dad's been trying to lure me back to CLE ever since. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

How did you become a Jets fan? I’ll extend this question to @Paradis and @Beerfish too.

I've told this story a few times.

Ricky Ray

He was the QB for my hometown CFL team for years then went down to the Jets that one year.  I followed his progress and peeked in on Jets fan forums a few times.  Then caught the disease.

(I still say the Jets and Dumbo Herm Edwards f'ced up by not giving Ricky Ray a real shot.  Playing Brooks Bollinger ahead of him?  Seriously?)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I was mostly an interloper as a child, but backed the old man as a browns fan until they folded when i was 18 and went off to college. I needed a new team and then the Monday night miracle happened and i was like - Jets.... this is my team now. My dad's been trying to lure me back to CLE ever since. 

Browns and Jets. That’s delightful. 

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally, the treatment I get for being a Jets fan consists of either pity or ridicule.  Since moving away from the east coast though, a cool thing happens surprisingly often when I'm wearing Jets gear - total strangers serenade me with the Jets chant.  It's happened on the beach in San Diego (multiple times), walking around town, or even yelled out of a passing car.  The most fun one was just a couple of weeks ago.  I've started working as a background actor, and on my first job I wore a Jets face mask (they're being careful due to COVID), and one of the series regulars walked by and yelled "JETS JETS JETS".

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PS17 said:

How did you become a Jets fan? I’ll extend this question to @Paradis and @Beerfish too.

My Jets fans origins stem from the color green.  Green was/is my favorite color.  My entire family is Bears fans.  For whatever reason, I decided to blaze my own fandom path as a young kid.  One Sunday in I'd say 1990 or 1991, the Jets were playing one of the "local" area teams and I watched the game on the regional broadcast.  They had green helmets, the Jets won and Al Toon amazed me, so from that day on I was a Jets fan and haven't waivered.

I'm fairly certain every other NFL franchise that wears Green has won at least 1 SB since that day.  Life is cruel sometimes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My Jets fans origins stem from the color green.  Green was/is my favorite color.  My entire family is Bears fans.  For whatever reason, I decided to blaze my own fandom path as a young kid.  One Sunday in I'd say 1990 or 1991, the Jets were playing one of the "local" area teams and I watched the game on the regional broadcast.  They had green helmets, the Jets won and Al Toon amazed me, so from that day on I was a Jets fan and haven't waivered.

I'm fairly certain every other NFL franchise that wears Green has won at least 1 SB since that day.  Life is cruel sometimes.

Yea i'd be lying if I didn't say Green and White (love the colours) didn't have me watching the M.N.M game to begin with. And Chrebet... man, that guy won me over. 

It's in my nature tho to cheer for the "alternate"... i grew up an Islanders fan, the white Sox, the LA Clippers, etc 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea i'd be lying if I didn't say Green and White (love the colours) didn't have me watching the M.N.M game to begin with. And Chrebet... man, that guy won me over. 

It's in my nature tho to cheer for the "alternate"... i grew up an Islanders fan, the white Sox, the LA Clippers, etc 

I didn't know you were an Islander fan.  I am a Mets-Jets-Islanders fan.  To which most of my friends here in Illiinois respond, how the eff did you pick those 3.  I didn't really pick them, they picked me.  

Not a Sox fan, but I hate the F**kin Cubs and it does give me pleasure when the Sox are better, and things are looking up for them.  And the Isles are looking good right now, so its not all bad.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I didn't know you were an Islander fan.  I am a Mets-Jets-Islanders fan.  To which most of my friends here in Illiinois respond, how the eff did you pick those 3.  I didn't really pick them, they picked me.  

Not a Sox fan, but I hate the F**kin Cubs and it does give me pleasure when the Sox are better, and things are looking up for them.  And the Isles are looking good right now, so its not all bad.

 

Yep. Totally. 

I like the Mets as well. Grew up during the strawberry era. Never followed baseball closely however. I like the white Sox because my extended family are all “cubbies” fans and a loathe them. (The team). 

islanders tho - was a big fan growing up. I had my Turgeon Jersey and wore it with pride. The year they beat the Penguins in 7 I believe - I walked through school (full of Lemieux loving Pitt fans) like a fcking boss. Easily one of my top 5 most “drink it in you Fcks” moments in life. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

islanders tho - was a big fan growing up. I had my Turgeon Jersey and wore it with pride. The year they beat the Penguins in 7 I believe - I walked through school (full of Lemieux loving Pitt fans) like a fcking boss. Easily one of my top 5 most “drink it in you Fcks” moments in life. 

I am a bit older than you.  I go back to the Isles first season in the NHL.  I was in college for the Cup run.  Season ticket holder for the last Stanley Cup year and through the rest of the 80s.  Those Islander teams are probably the only teams I have ever rooted for where I had total confidence that they would do what they had to to get the job done.  Needed a goal, a stop, a big win, they always came through.  A feeling of confidence I have not had while watching my teams play for almost 40 years.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember @T0mShane once described rooting for this team like "having a cat with leukemia".  That's kind of how people look at me when I tell them I'm a Jets fan.  They just offer condolences at this point. 

I'm in a group text with 2 fellow UNCW grads, one of which is a Pats fan and the other a Bills fan.  And they barely give me sh*t anymore.  Mostly they just make fun of me for being so wrong about Josh Allen. 

(@slats)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

In San Diego, I just get blank stares like "are they even a football team?"

The proper response to this from any San Diegan should be:  "Where's your football team?"

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yep. Totally. 

I like the Mets as well. Grew up during the strawberry era. Never followed baseball closely however. I like the white Sox because my extended family are all “cubbies” fans and a loathe them. (The team). 

islanders tho - was a big fan growing up. I had my Turgeon Jersey and wore it with pride. The year they beat the Penguins in 7 I believe - I walked through school (full of Lemieux loving Pitt fans) like a fcking boss. Easily one of my top 5 most “drink it in you Fcks” moments in life. 

 

The White Sox have so much fun talent right now.  Good times ahead for sure.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an issue in England but took plenty of sh*t in HS from my buddies...especially during Kotite's 1-15.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am a bit older than you.  I go back to the Isles first season in the NHL.  I was in college for the Cup run.  Season ticket holder for the last Stanley Cup year and through the rest of the 80s.  Those Islander teams are probably the only teams I have ever rooted for where I had total confidence that they would do what they had to to get the job done.  Needed a goal, a stop, a big win, they always came through.  A feeling of confidence I have not had while watching my teams play for almost 40 years.

 

I’ve never known that level of confidence in any team lol. I know the early islander days tho. I educated myself when I became a fan. I wanna say that was 80-84? Competing with the Oilers right. I can’t remember the name now but they were led by some dude who looks like Harley Race lol. I had a couple hockey cards of him and loved those old colour saturated jersey. Potvin?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The proper response to this from any San Diegan should be:  "Where's your football team?"

Contrary to popular belief though San Diegans really supported the Chargers well. The Spanos family is EVIL. They went from an insane ticket guarantee that supplemented huge amounts of money into the Chargers to never even remotely negotiating in good faith with the city, or even surrounding areas like Chula Vista or Escondido, where there were a number of really viable options for them but they wanted deals that made absolutely no sense whatsover for the city to even consider, most of which was more about them making money on hotel deals and apartments and all this stuff completely unrelated to the actual Chargers team. No one in LA really follows them and they could not even sell out an indoor soccer stadium. I am not a Chargers fan but the whole situation is BS. Them leaving San Diego is not for lack of support here in San Diego. Theres what 3 million here and they routinely sold out out, but the like 14 million in the same radius in LA and Orange County they don't even get 30K. F that greedy slimy family.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it's real tough being a Jets fan.

I was so hoping that this past season was going to be a competitive one.  Needed the distraction from the fact my mother's mind and body was breaking down due to a worsening dementia condition.  She passed away this past Sept. 15th. 

Couple that with the Jets opener against the Bills.  An embarrassment.  It was really painful to watch that game.  Totally unprepared Jets team that looked like wanna be amateurs playing against professionals.   Knew Gase was garbage.  And Jets wouldn't win more then a couple of games at best.  Next time I tuned in the Jets was last game of season.  

I just continued focusing my attentions to my sister's needs.  Who is fighting for her life with lung and brain cancer.  The same type of lung cancer that took our father's life. 

The competitive nature of sports can be a mirror reflection of the conflicts we deal with in our lives.  And how we handle them.   We want to see our sports teams overcome their obstacles.  We get emotionally involved with their success and failures.  We hero worship the great individual performers.  An sometimes be cruel on those that fail.  As if their failing us.  We can't help it.  

Football...like life...isn't fair.  Can be a cruel disappointment...as us Jets fans know all too well.  I've been working my way back these past couple of months...into looking forward to this upcoming season.  Just want to see a scrappy competitive team.  Still have a chance for a win in the 4th Q.  Win some...lose some...but never give up. 

Gooo Jets Baby!     

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Caught **** until the Parcells year,  then caught $*** until the Rex years.  I feel like if he can get some players, Saleh will quieten the peanut gallery once again.

The jet hatred was at its all time high during the Rex years.  All these fair weather fans of other teams were really offended by Rex’s bravado

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’ve never known that level of confidence in any team lol. I know the early islander days tho. I educated myself when I became a fan. I wanna say that was 80-84? Competing with the Oilers right. I can’t remember the name now but they were led by some dude who looks like Harley Race lol. I had a couple hockey cards of him and loved those old colour saturated jersey. Potvin?

 

11 hours ago, Lith said:

I am a bit older than you.  I go back to the Isles first season in the NHL.  I was in college for the Cup run.  Season ticket holder for the last Stanley Cup year and through the rest of the 80s.  Those Islander teams are probably the only teams I have ever rooted for where I had total confidence that they would do what they had to to get the job done.  Needed a goal, a stop, a big win, they always came through.  A feeling of confidence I have not had while watching my teams play for almost 40 years.

 

Jets/Rangers/Mets/Knicks (primarily) fan here in Vermont ... I at mimimum don't root against the other NYC teams, and that '80 to'84 team was not only a great team (underrated across sports - FOUR STRAIGHT CHAMPIONSHIPS??) but they kept beat the Flyers during their Broad Street Bullies days. Their making hockey into roller derby on ice chased me away from the sport from after the Islanders until just the last year or so. I root for the Giants in football occasionally because I hate the teams and the fans of the other three NFC East teams (especially the Foreskins - was in DC from '84 to '01, and loved that LT would beat on their precious Hogs most years.) 

Funny thing up here is that you are either a Cheats fan, or you root for another team AND hate the Cheats. So in my small IT department, There's a Steelers, Cowboys  and Broncos fan, plus me, and we all hate NE.  Plus there's a Lions fan close by - we commiserate all year, every year. And he hates NE.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up on LI but for the last 30+ years have lived in Bills country here in Rochester. Before that, I lived in DC for 5 years.

I think that the amount of ball busting depends on the recent history of the local team. The Bills fans really act more like they feel sorry for us, and I think it's because they have very recent memories of being in that position. That will probably change if we get better and start to challenge them.

In DC, it was the heart of the Joe Gibbs era. They had been good for a while and were merciless toward other teams. I would bet that that attitude has changed now. For cryin' out loud, when I was there they had a 50 year long waiting list for season tickets. Now they can hardly sell out a single game without blocking off sections.

Serves them right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Contrary to popular belief though San Diegans really supported the Chargers well. The Spanos family is EVIL. They went from an insane ticket guarantee that supplemented huge amounts of money into the Chargers to never even remotely negotiating in good faith with the city, or even surrounding areas like Chula Vista or Escondido, where there were a number of really viable options for them but they wanted deals that made absolutely no sense whatsover for the city to even consider, most of which was more about them making money on hotel deals and apartments and all this stuff completely unrelated to the actual Chargers team. No one in LA really follows them and they could not even sell out an indoor soccer stadium. I am not a Chargers fan but the whole situation is BS. Them leaving San Diego is not for lack of support here in San Diego. Theres what 3 million here and they routinely sold out out, but the like 14 million in the same radius in LA and Orange County they don't even get 30K. F that greedy slimy family.

That is a fan base I actually feel bad for. It’s going to be brutal watching that beautiful stadium be half empty for Chargers games when full capacity is allowed again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...