Do your friends and colleagues break your balls as a Jets fan?

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’ve never known that level of confidence in any team lol. I know the early islander days tho. I educated myself when I became a fan. I wanna say that was 80-84? Competing with the Oilers right. I can’t remember the name now but they were led by some dude who looks like Harley Race lol. I had a couple hockey cards of him and loved those old colour saturated jersey. Potvin?

80-83.  Competed with Edmonton at the end of the run.  Won the last of the 4 cups against Edmonton and then lost to them in the 84 Finals the next year.  And we have never been back since.

I have no idea who Harley Race is, but to me the leader of those Isles teams was Bryan Trottier.  Only Islander jersey I ever owned, still pull it out whenever the Islanders are in Chicago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

unny thing up here is that you are either a Cheats fan, or you root for another team AND hate the Cheats. So in my small IT department, There's a Steelers, Cowboys  and Broncos fan, plus me, and we all hate NE.  Plus there's a Lions fan close by - we commiserate all year, every year. And he hates NE.  

Went with my son to a Jets-Lions game in Detroit.  During the 2010 season, so it was one of thsoe very rare times that I actually went to a road game expecting to win.  And in true Jets fashion, we immediately fell behind.  Trailed by 10 with about 4 minutes left in the game.  Lions fans telling us not to worry; they always blow these games.  Sure enough, we score 10 to tie it in the last minute and force OT.  Some fo the fans sitting around us start leaving before OT.  "We are not winning this game" and "I would rather beat traffic than watch us lose again." 

We won in OT and I remember thinking we are kindred spirits with Lions fans.  We are them and they are us.  Persoinally I would never leave a game heading into OT, but I sure know that feeling of doom, waiting to see how they are going to lose another one.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So I have 2 professional athletes and a few ESPN guys as clients. One wrote me a note and I cut and paste a piece.  I see him once a year or so but with Covid, he sent me his stuff with this note.  I'm sure you guys get it as well.  This is an ESPN guy who literally had his salary cut in half die to Covid.

image.thumb.png.0e77459e52e18e7172a63c89c265a789.png

No, most of my partners are Jet fans.  We have a couple Buffalo fans and the balance are mostly Lions fans.   The only ones who get it in our office are the Dolphin and Patriot fans.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Of course, but there's no shame in being loyal to a team that blows.  The shame is rooting for a team that's halfway across the country because they're good and thinking you're somehow intelligent and a better person for it. 

I think there is a level of pride in it.  Anyone can hop on the bandwagon of a good team, but those of us who have been with this team for 50+ years, we are great fans. 

We may argue about the team among ourselves and have different views on what the team needs and the passsion may get ugly at times.  But everyoine on this site loves that team and has stuck with them through some incredibly lean times.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think there is a level of pride in it.  Anyone can hop on the bandwagon of a good team, but those of us who have been with this team for 50+ years, we are great fans. 

We may argue about the team among ourselves and have different views on what the team needs and the passsion may get ugly at times.  But everyoine on this site loves that team and has stuck with them through some incredibly lean times.

Absolutely, there's something to be said for loyalty.  My girlfriend during the Kotite years was amazed by the loyalty of myself and other Jet fans.  Bandwagoners will never know the satisfaction we'll get should the Jets ever actually come through for the fan base, even if it's only once!

• Upvote 4

I met Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cower in the not too distant past, spoke to them both separately about coming back and coaching the Jets...response A: "no, no, no, no ,no" response B: a belly laugh.

I don't consider them friends so shouldn't count lol

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The jet hatred was at its all time high during the Rex years.  All these fair weather fans of other teams were really offended by Rex’s bravado

On our way to the first of two AFC Championship games Rex said "Well the team the team that nobody wanted is moving on.  Too bad, here we come."

Rex did not know how to run a team, but his players went to war for him.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lith said:

80-83.  Competed with Edmonton at the end of the run.  Won the last of the 4 cups against Edmonton and then lost to them in the 84 Finals the next year.  And we have never been back since.

I have no idea who Harley Race is, but to me the leader of those Isles teams was Bryan Trottier.  Only Islander jersey I ever owned, still pull it out whenever the Islanders are in Chicago.

I looked up Harley Race... he must mean either Ed Westfall or Clark Gilles. I’m a Rangers fan but those Islanders teams were stacked. Potvin, Gilles, Trottier, Bossy, what talent.  

I'm the only Jets fan in my family... the ONLY one.  My immediate family consists of Giants fans and till this day, my dad doesn't know how I " fell through the cracks."  I'm the football anomaly.  Sometimes it feels like a curse, but ironically I don't get much ridicule from the fam sans the periodic Giants vs Jets talk.  On the contrary, my siblings and their close friends exude a combination of pity and respect.  I'm convinced if the Jets one they'd celebrate with me at that point.  My brother back in 2009- 2010 was so hyped for me, for a moment I thought he was a Jets fan.  I just pray the Jets win in my lifetime.  If they do,  I really might cry. 

13 hours ago, Kolchak said:

Of course, but there's no shame in being loyal to a team that blows.  The shame is rooting for a team that's halfway across the country because they're good and thinking you're somehow intelligent and a better person for it. 

Or, thinking that suddenly rooting for your recently-successful hometown team makes you a winner, even though you have no idea who Steve Grogan and Stanley Morgan are.

• Haha 1

Honestly not really. 

The peak of getting sh*t about the Jets was the back end of the Rex tenure -- I think a lot of his trash talking and the success the team had in 09-10 caused a lot of people to relish the opportunity to kill the Jets when they had the chance. Butt fumble, etc.

In recent years not so much -- a factor in that is that 1) the team has been irrelevant and 2) the Giants have also sucked, and living in NYC that's where most of the hate would come from.