Historic tornado outbreak situation expected from Nashville into Birmingham stretching into western NC overnight.

Set up : Strong negatively tilted trough is ejecting ahead and into a strong and very humid airmass. 

Low level advection of cape through the afternoon, and combined with mostly scattered clouds will quickly get the air unstable.

wsw upper jet at or near 130 kt is expected to move into western Tennnessee. 

It will overlap with the warm sector and produce strong vertical wind shear near 80 to 100 kt in the warm sector.

Any storms that develop will produce killer tornadoes for many many miles. Many towns will be completely destroyed. 

Spread the news, get people prepared and seek shelter if you live there when a warning sounds .

Strong mid level cap advecting in will keep storms scattered in prime position to take advantage of the rapid shear profiles. 

• Upvote 2

nam3km_z500_vort_us_25.png

Note the nw to se oritentation of the colors in Illinois. This means the upper winds is surging directly into the warm moist sector. This happens once every 2 years. But to overlap with this quality of low level moisture is surely going to result in a historic event. 

nam_uv250_us_9.png Wind speeds in this jet max are at 130 kt 9km to 12km above ground.

8 hours ago, cookiemonsta911 said:

nam3km_z500_vort_us_25.png

Note the nw to se oritentation of the colors in Illinois. This means the upper winds is surging directly into the warm moist sector. This happens once every 2 years. But to overlap with this quality of low level moisture is surely going to result in a historic event. 

nam_uv250_us_9.png Wind speeds in this jet max are at 130 kt 9km to 12km above ground.

Whoa!  That cyclonic vorticity really has me concerned.

(Goes to Google "cyclonic vorticity")

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Yup, didn't send son to daycare and decided not to work today here in Nashville. Lots of theories that this could be really bad.

The tornado last year was about 2 miles from home and actually hit part of the daycare facility we use (at night thus was empty).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hope you guys are all alright. 

Stay safe you and the family. 

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Thanks.  

So far some hail and winds with the usual rain storms.  Hasn't been terrible so far.  Heard it was much worse in Alabama.  

Seeing the news on the Weather Channel HD WOW 

Houses destroyed in neighborhoods where others are untouched I think it was Alabama or Georgia. 

Stay safe and God Bless you ALL 

Seeing the news on the Weather Channel HD WOW 
Houses destroyed in neighborhoods where others are untouched I think it was Alabama or Georgia. 
Stay safe and God Bless you ALL 

The one last year was scary because how close it was. Houses on the other side of daycare were completely destroyed. Like just wiped out, could see the path by just looking at the lack of trees in areas.

I used to love severe weather living in NY. More than thrilled for blizzards. Moving here, just fear with every severe change.

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

The one last year was scary because how close it was. Houses on the other side of daycare were completely destroyed. Like just wiped out, could see the path by just looking at the lack of trees in areas.

I used to love severe weather living in NY. More than thrilled for blizzards. Moving here, just fear with every severe change.

Snow you can deal with its risky moving down South especially in  hurricane alley and tornado alley. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Snow you can deal with its risky moving down South especially in  hurricane alley and tornado alley. 

Weird thing was Nashville isn't really in traditional tornado alley, and too far inland for any real threat from hurricanes.  However, in the last 10 years, definitely see some impact of climate change and unusual storms.  I moved in '09, and I think they had snow for the first time in a long time that winter (or the next, I forget).  That first time? The city literally didn't have snow plows or salt in their budget.  It was like an inch of snow and everything came to a halt for 2-3 days, and it was mostly civilians hooking up plows to their pickup trucks clearing the roads.  Now, we get 1-2 snow storms each year, even if it's just an inch or two.  

I'm wondering if climate change is also changing some of the traditional storm centers around the country, with more severe and sustained ones.  Hurricane is still too far out, but I'm worried about this shift for tornadoes.  

Stay safe, everyone. A really good friend of mine lives in Kansas. All 'Wizard of Oz' jokes aside, I always tell him to GTF outta there. One time he told me he was in a storm cellar so I went, "Surrender, Dorothy!" because I totally thought he was kidding. He goes, "I really am huddled in a storm cellar with my dog in fear for my life." Oops. Hays, KS. ?