Tony Pauline: "Word was in league circles, very likely Sam Darnold is out, they're going to trade him & it'll be Zach Wilson."

Jetsbb

31 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Remind me...Pauline is the same guy who claimed JD was going to be fired at the end of the season right?  

Nobody knows JD...stop fooling yourselves, sit on your hands, and watch how shiz gets done. 

I believe he said that the Jets wanted Paton from Minnesota then pivoted to Douglas. 

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

1) I think the Titanic really only had one leak, no?

2) I don't think it requires a lot of leaks, if any, for someone to draw the conclusion that the team picking #2 overall, who currently has the worst QB in the NFL nearing the end of his rookie deal, is going to draft the top QB available with that pick.

Ok, the Titanic had only one leak that destroyed  it. Feel better?

There are more red flags on Wilson than any other QB in this draft. It really amazes me he is so highly thought of. If he played on Michigan or Bama, it's one thing but QB from teams like BYU don't  normally become super stars. I know there are 3 or 4 examples but more go the way of Pennington than Steve Young. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

He’s the first guy who reported Mac was getting fired and Joe Douglas was replacing him...months before it happened.

He called Fant last year and has had a lot of Jets sources for years.

and it's not like this 'news' is so far fetched.  in fact, football guy is the only one i've heard say repeatedly that the jets may well keep darnold. 

7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Does Tony Pauline have any credibility? I’m under the assumption that he doesn’t. 

Unlike most, Pauline has proven in the past that he has genuine Jets sources, as the above posts pointed out.

He's also a JetNation member and has posted here occasionally, but not in a while I don't think.

What the heck, let's send out a bat signal: @Tony The Wiz 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

You’ll know the Jets are drafting Wilson when we start hearing “reports” that the Jets are interested in Fields.  

they don't have to bluff though, they're not picking 4th or 5th.  the jets dictate things now.  they probably have set trades for darnold ready to go, but the other team(s) are waiting on what the jets decide.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Unlike most, Pauline has proven in the past that he has genuine Jets sources, as the above posts pointed out.

He's also a JetNation member and has posted here occasionally, but not in a while I don't think.

What the heck, let's send out a bat signal: @Tony The Wiz 

The Tweet doesn't even say he has any sources it says word around the league...which like everything else surrounding this topic is opinions.

• Upvote 1

I think it’s legit. There are basically two teams picking first this year with Lawrence the stone cold lock to go 1 overall. The Jets don’t lose anything with this info being out there, unless you think it hurts Darnold’s trade value, which seems ice cold anyways. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He also said the Jets would be in on Rankins like 3 weeks ago.  Predicting the Jets will take Zach Wilson doesn't deserve a pat on the back, predicting some random mid level signing like Rankins does though.

Right and as you said, if he turns out to be right is it really a big shock? No.

But, I think this is as close to a confirmation as we’re going to get. 

I also doubt Pauline would put this out there unless he was fairly certain. Up until this point, he has been pretty neutral, saying the Jets were really 50/50 on keeping Sam.

• Post of the Week 2

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And yet they want to draft Justin Fields second overall.  USC QBs have at least had some NFL success

The idea that a college program can't produce NFL QBs when it  has had multiple coaches and different systems over the past 20 years or so is total garbage.  That theory only works if the same coach and offensive system has been in place.  OSU and USC have been cycling through coaches and systems.  There's nothing in the water or the uniform at Columbus or LA that impacts QBs.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, the Titanic had only one leak that destroyed  it. Feel better?

There are more red flags on Wilson than any other QB in this draft. It really amazes me he is so highly thought of. If he played on Michigan or Bama, it's one thing but QB from teams like BYU don't  normally become super stars. I know there are 3 or 4 examples but more go the way of Pennington than Steve Young. 

I don't know the merits of Wilson vs. red flags.  I don't watch college, and I've followed less this year than ever.

What I do know is that as of today, he's the consensus 2nd QB available, whether he should be or not is a different story.

So, if the team with the worst QB in the NFL takes the 2nd consensus QB, as many are speculating, it may just because that's a pretty likely outcome.  Not because there's a leak problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know the merits of Wilson vs. red flags.  I don't watch college, and I've followed less this year than ever.

What I do know is that as of today, he's the consensus 2nd QB available, whether he should be or not is a different story.

So, if the team with the worst QB in the NFL takes the 2nd consensus QB, as many are speculating, it may just because that's a pretty likely outcome.  Not because there's a leak problem.

Isn't  that what we did with Darnold? I admit I was extatic when we selected Darnold but many of us ignored the red flags on him and were excited we got the consensus #1 guy. 

I think we all owe it to ourselves to do our own research.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Isn't  that what we did with Darnold? I admit I was extatic when we selected Darnold but many of us ignored the red flags on him and were excited we got the consensus #1 guy. 

I think we all owe it to ourselves to do our own research.  

In this case, I'm not sure we're ignoring the red flags.  They're out there and everyone's talking about them - size, injury, competition, general douchebaggery.  The conversation feels a very different than with Darnold, frankly, for whom it was basically, all the problems are irrelevant, look at the Rose Bowl.

And, the fact is, we're getting a guy with red flags, regardless.  We don't have the #1 overall pick (and even he has a few question marks, at least).  And if we pass on a QB this year, we're probably getting a guy with red flags next year.

Again, I'm not saying Wilson should be the pick or not, I have no idea, and I'm too old and too busy to emotionally invest in the draft process anymore.  All I'm saying is I don't think us picking Wilson and trading Darnold is indicative of a leak, as it's probably the chalk outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If the Jets are trading Sam before next season starts then who is our backup? Why haven’t the Jets looked for a backup for Zack Wilson. Makes some sense to keep Sam for 1 more year while we develop Wilson - and possibly trade Sam mid season if Wilson is ready and I’m sure there will be an injury to a QB on a team fighting for a playoff spot that would be happy to get Sam mid season. Sam’s stock could go up if he plays well in his new system and  keeping him only loses the Jets a number 2 pick now which we could get mid season or a comp pick at end of third round if he just leaves after 4 years. By keeping Sam for a year and drafting Wilson the Jets don’t lose much in draft capital and could actually gain and we have Sam for a year in case some miracle happens. It’s worth the risk to keep Sam and draft Wilson IMO. As I remember didn’t Mahomes sit out his 1st season?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Stay with Sam one more year.  2022 is a better qb draft class.  Howell, Corrall, Slovis, Ridder etc

And who knows if the Jets will be in a position to draft a QB next year?  What if the Jets go 8-8 and the QBs all go early?  What if the teams that need QBs all get top picks and the top QBs are gone by pick 7-8?  What if there are many teams that need a QB and the cost to move up is prohibitive?  Waiting until next year with so many unknown variables - are the QBs really that good? has JD/Jets scouted them? How much tape is available?  will all come out or will some stay in school ?  injuries? drop off in quality (Jake Locker syndrome)?  Waiting until next year is stupid unless the Jets don't think any of the QBs in this draft will be quality NFL starters/as good as or better than Darnold.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

does CBTNY post here?

Pauline has good insight to draft imho

Never saw him post here, but I agree.  Although nobody is always right, I take his info seriously.  I remember when he had us moving up to draft Revis. Guy is more believable than most imho.

• Upvote 2