Tony Pauline: "Word was in league circles, very likely Sam Darnold is out, they're going to trade him & it'll be Zach Wilson."

Jetsbb

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And who knows if the Jets will be in a position to draft a QB next year?  What if the Jets go 8-8 and the QBs all go early?  

Then we give Sam Darnold 125M.

If your username has a Joe Namath reference, you have to be old enough to have seen this movie before, no?

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And who knows if the Jets will be in a position to draft a QB next year?  What if the Jets go 8-8 and the QBs all go early?  What if the teams that need QBs all get top picks and the top QBs are gone by pick 7-8?  What if there are many teams that need a QB and the cost to move up is prohibitive?  Waiting until next year with so many unknown variables - are the QBs really that good? has JD/Jets scouted them? How much tape is available?  will all come out or will some stay in school ?  injuries? drop off in quality (Jake Locker syndrome)?  Waiting until next year is stupid unless the Jets don't think any of the QBs in this draft will be quality NFL starters/as good as or better than Darnold.

Agreed. I hate the idea of trading back, adding more picks, then having to use said picks to trade up again like 2018. We earned the #2 pick this year, let’s get our guy

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And who knows if the Jets will be in a position to draft a QB next year?  What if the Jets go 8-8 and the QBs all go early?  What if the teams that need QBs all get top picks and the top QBs are gone by pick 7-8?  What if there are many teams that need a QB and the cost to move up is prohibitive?  Waiting until next year with so many unknown variables - are the QBs really that good? has JD/Jets scouted them? How much tape is available?  will all come out or will some stay in school ?  injuries? drop off in quality (Jake Locker syndrome)?  Waiting until next year is stupid unless the Jets don't think any of the QBs in this draft will be quality NFL starters/as good as or better than Darnold.

If the Jets go 8-8 with Sam behind a still below-average roster, then perhaps...we won't need to draft a QB?

Just sayin...  :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Yeah but if people don't like what he's saying then it doesn't count.

Something similar to when our new WR1 Davis said his understanding is Darnold is the QB of the jets moving forward. 

Until Sam is traded I'll take Davis words over a guy who says "in league circles"

7 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Pauline called the Rankins signing . And has been right . It matches from what I am hearing and I was the one who asked the question on the show lol 

"matches from what I am hearing" What do you mean by this? Hearing from who?

Just now, adobolo2 said:

Something similar to when our new WR1 Davis said his understanding is Darnold is the QB of the jets moving forward. 

Until Sam is traded I'll take Davis words over a guy who says "in league circles"

A player isn't going to reveal sh*t to ruffle feathers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If the Jets go 8-8 with Sam behind a still below-average roster, then perhaps...we won't need to draft a QB?

That's so true. We can become the AFC version of the Bears -- a talented team, without a true franchise QB, that is eternally stuck in mediocrity. Sounds great.

6 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If the Jets are trading Sam before next season starts then who is our backup? Why haven’t the Jets looked for a backup for Zack Wilson. Makes some sense to keep Sam for 1 more year while we develop Wilson - and possibly trade Sam mid season if Wilson is ready and I’m sure there will be an injury to a QB on a team fighting for a playoff spot that would be happy to get Sam mid season. Sam’s stock could go up if he plays well in his new system and  keeping him only loses the Jets a number 2 pick now which we could get mid season or a comp pick at end of third round if he just leaves after 4 years. By keeping Sam for a year and drafting Wilson the Jets don’t lose much in draft capital and could actually gain and we have Sam for a year in case some miracle happens. It’s worth the risk to keep Sam and draft Wilson IMO. As I remember didn’t Mahomes sit out his 1st season?

We didn't sign Flacco until late May last year - still a lot of time to fill the back up role. 

The Sam/Wilson dynamic sounds good b/c why not hedge - but what do you do with Sam's 5th yr option? If you don't pick it up how many teams do you really anticipate wanting to trade for a new QB mid-season knowing he isn't going to be under contract the following year? I can't remember a single starting QB being traded mid-season. 

If you pick a QB just move on from Sam. 

Just now, Jetsbb said:

"matches from what I am hearing" What do you mean by this? Hearing from who?

I’ve heard from 2 Guys really close to Jets organization that Joe D and the scouts love Wilson and pending physical it’s a done deal . One told me BeCton would be pick and the other knew about saleh being hired days before it happened . 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

I’ve heard from 2 Guys really close to Jets organization that Joe D and the scouts love Wilson and pending physical it’s a done deal . One told me BeCton would be pick and the other knew about saleh being hired days before it happened . 

Stop spelling it BeCton. Its making me mad and I don’t know why.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

This is how I see things playing out.  The Jets already know who Zach Wilson is and how much talent he has.  The only question marks are his medicals and his board work, which I think they probably have a good idea how he'll perform on that based on him running a very similar scheme this past season to the one the Jets will run this year.  The medicals are the big question mark.  Once that comes back fine they'll move Darnold and sign Nick Mullens to be the backup b/c he knows the system.  There is a reason Mullens, who is better than Beathard, hasn't been signed but Beathard has.  I'm sure he's been told to wait till this situation with Darnold works itself out either way.  Mullens would be the perfect bridge QB or backup due to his knowledge of the system.  25 tds 12 int 65% comp in this system.

I also think if the Jets are scared off by Wilson's medicals and they don't like any of the other QB's in the draft I think they'll still trade Darnold, trade down in the draft and sign Mullens to be the QB next year.  It makes too much sense not to do all of these things if they don't like Wilsons medicals.  They know what Mullens is and even though most suggest a jump in play for Darnold in this system it is still a question mark if he'd put up similar numbers as to what Mullens has. Don't underestimate the value a new OC puts on having a veteran QB who doesn't have to learn the system.  Anyway, that's just my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TomDex69 said:

This is how I see things playing out.  The Jets already know who Zach Wilson is and how much talent he has.  The only question marks are his medicals and his board work, which I think they probably have a good idea how he'll perform on that based on him running a very similar scheme this past season to the one the Jets will run this year.  The medicals are the big question mark.  Once that comes back fine they'll move Darnold and sign Nick Mullens to be the backup b/c he knows the system.  There is a reason Mullens, who is better than Beathard, hasn't been signed but Beathard has.  I'm sure he's been told to wait till this situation with Darnold works itself out either way.  Mullens would be the perfect bridge QB or backup due to his knowledge of the system.  25 tds 12 int 65% comp in this system.

I also think if the Jets are scared off by Wilson's medicals and they don't like any of the other QB's in the draft I think they'll still trade Darnold, trade down in the draft and sign Mullens to be the QB next year.  It makes too much sense not to do all of these things if they don't like Darnold.  They know what Mullens is and even though most suggest a jump in play for Darnold in this system it is still a question mark if he'd put up similar numbers as to what Mullens has. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

So why risk losing Mullens and get him signed now. The only reason they wouldn’t have him signed already is because they are considering keeping Darnold and drafting a QB early. 

• Upvote 1

It's very likely Wilson will be the pick at #2.  When you are in position to draft an elite prospect at the most important position in the sport, and the incumbent player has been a disappointment to date, then you have to pull the trigger.  Joe Douglas did not draft Darnold, and it makes sense to start over at the position with a whole new coaching staff in town.

The bigger question is whether Darnold gets traded.  I believe that Douglas has set a price on Darnold, it's relatively high, and he's not going to trade him just for the sake of trading him.  Darnold and the rookie can co-exist on the roster for one year, and in many ways it makes sense to ease the rookie in and not throw him into the fire from day 1.  Darnold can and will be a good bridge quarterback.  He's young, cheap, experienced, and a good soldier.  There is enough upside potential there to not trade him away for peanuts.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

A player isn't going to reveal sh*t to ruffle feathers.

Fair enough, but this is what I mean you totally discredit what a player says who's talked to the jets front office but respect the words of a jets beat writer who is only trying to guess the situation like the rest of us.

I don't know if sam is going to be traded and until we do for certain everything is just noise and people will interpret every word differently depending on which side of the fence they are on.

1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

So why risk losing Mullens and get him signed now. The only reason they wouldn’t have him signed already is because they are considering keeping Darnold and drafting a QB early. 

In my opinion, signing Mullens would signal Darnold is gone.  You lose any leverage in negotiations by tipping your hand.  There is a reason there are conflicting reports on what the Jets are going to do with Darnold and the draft.  It's to keep other teams guessing in order to maximize leverage in a trade.  That's business 101.

• Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

In this case, I'm not sure we're ignoring the red flags.  They're out there and everyone's talking about them - size, injury, competition, general douchebaggery.  The conversation feels a very different than with Darnold, frankly, for whom it was basically, all the problems are irrelevant, look at the Rose Bowl.

And, the fact is, we're getting a guy with red flags, regardless.  We don't have the #1 overall pick (and even he has a few question marks, at least).  And if we pass on a QB this year, we're probably getting a guy with red flags next year.

Again, I'm not saying Wilson should be the pick or not, I have no idea, and I'm too old and too busy to emotionally invest in the draft process anymore.  All I'm saying is I don't think us picking Wilson and trading Darnold is indicative of a leak, as it's probably the chalk outcome.

My argument is this should not be the logical  pick due to the fact he has the most red flags I can think of compared to Lance, Fields,  and Jones. Jones actually has the least amount but I just think he is a product of a loaded team and played with a WR that beat anyone they lined up in front of him. 

I just don't see how so many are saying it's  Wilson because I spoke to this guy who knows what the Jets are thinking.

Just now, TomDex69 said:

In my opinion, signing Mullens would signal Darnold is gone.  You lose any leverage in negotiations by tipping your hand.  There is a reason there are conflicting reports on what the Jets are going to do with Darnold and the draft.  It's to keep other teams guessing in order to maximize leverage in a trade.  That's business 101.

Right.  Douglas has worked very hard to construct the illusion that they may actually stick with darnold b/c he can be soooooo gooooood, to maximize his trade value.  So if he signed Mullins that would signal they either 1) think so low of darnold that Mullins can possibly beat him out in camp, or 2) they’re trading darnold and drafting a rookie.  

4 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Fair enough, but this is what I mean you totally discredit what a player says who's talked to the jets front office but respect the words of a jets beat writer who is only trying to guess the situation like the rest of us.

I don't know if sam is going to be traded and until we do for certain everything is just noise and people will interpret every word differently depending on which side of the fence they are on.

Well, that's his job, to report what he hears. He's not just like the rest of us, he's supposed to know more. I'm not saying believe everything he says, but his job description includes reporting what he hears.

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's very likely Wilson will be the pick at #2.  When you are in position to draft an elite prospect at the most important position in the sport, and the incumbent player has been a disappointment to date, then you have to pull the trigger.  Joe Douglas did not draft Darnold, and it makes sense to start over at the position with a whole new coaching staff in town.

The bigger question is whether Darnold gets traded.  I believe that Douglas has set a price on Darnold, it's relatively high, and he's not going to trade him just for the sake of trading him.  Darnold and the rookie can co-exist on the roster for one year, and in many ways it makes sense to ease the rookie in and not throw him into the fire from day 1.  Darnold can and will be a good bridge quarterback.  He's young, cheap, experienced, and a good soldier.  There is enough upside potential there to not trade him away for peanuts.

It wouldn’t work with darnold as a bridge qb.  He may not even win the starting job out in camp, and if you start him over the #2 pick (say it’s Wilson) the whole season will be about when wilson takes over.  You also create an awkward locker room dynamic.  It’s antithetical to the culture they’re trying to build. 

2 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

Remind me...Pauline is the same guy who claimed JD was going to be fired at the end of the season right?  

Nobody knows JD...stop fooling yourselves, sit on your hands, and watch how shiz gets done. 

NO, Pauline was the guy who said that Mac would be fired after the draft.  Later on he predicted that JD would be hired.  He's hit a few other Jets forecasts in the last year or so.

CBTNY has been on a roll lately.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Is this Ustadium and Chris Mortenson by any chance? They have both said this publicly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

This is where I disagree with you.  The benefits of moving on from Darnold if you draft Wilson are immense.  

1. Save $5 million on the cap

2. Avoid the QB controversy and constant distraction to the team

3. Pick up at worst a 3rd round pick

4. Rookie QB's are now expected to start from day 1.  It's rare that a top of the draft QB sits at all during his rookie season anymore

I don't agree the JD has a "pay me this or we're not trading him" price.  I think if the plan is to draft Wilson then their intention all along would be to move Darnold for the maximum compensation they can receive in return.  I do think they believe that he should warrant a 2nd and 5th like Arizona got for Rosen.  Although, Rosen had 3 years left on a cheap rookie contract and Darnold has 1 and that def plays into any price.  Ultimately I think they settle on an 3rd this year with a 3rd in 2022 as well.  I just don't see anybody giving up a 2nd unless it's a very late 2nd.

58 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

All I'm saying is I don't think us picking Wilson and trading Darnold is indicative of a leak, as it's probably the chalk outcome.

Based on what we've seen of JD's DNA so far, I would argue that unless the trade compensation for Darnold is above fair value, the chalk outcome would be rolling with Sam and trading out of the #2...

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Or, hear me out, we take the Morman kid and in 3 years kick him to the curb as well.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If we actually do select Wilson and trade Sam just as every media talking head is reporting, this would mean the Jets front office has more leaks than the Titanic.  

Not really. They have been accepting calls from other teams for Sam. The other teams could be offering this info. Everyone knows that they will either keep Sam or trade him and most likely draft Zach. It's not too hard to figure out and a lot of teams are interested in trading up to grab a QB.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It wouldn’t work with darnold as a bridge qb.  He may not even win the starting job out in camp, and if you start him over the #2 pick (say it’s Wilson) the whole season will be about when wilson takes over.  You also create an awkward locker room dynamic.  It’s antithetical to the culture they’re trying to build. 

I don't buy the awkward locker room dynamic.  These are adults and pros.  They understand this is a business.  If you get a high offer for Darnold, you unload him.  If not, you decline his 5th year option, and let him play out his final year.  You don't trade him for peanuts  because someone's feewings might get hurt.  Darnold has an "awe shucks" personality.  I don't see him being a malcontent and causing trouble.  He will be playing for his next contract and trying to impress his next team when he walks in free agency.

Let's say hypothetically the best offer the Jets get for Darnold is a 4th round pick.  What would you do?  Still trade him?  I just fundamentally disagree with "trade for the sake of trading."

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Based on what we've seen of JD's DNA so far, I would argue that unless the trade compensation for Darnold is above fair value, the chalk outcome would be rolling with Sam and trading out of the #2...

So you're saying unless he can 'win' in a trade he will bypass a QB that he most likely has rated higher than Sam? That's a pretty sketchy way to do business for the most important position on your team. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1