Tony Pauline: "Word was in league circles, very likely Sam Darnold is out, they're going to trade him & it'll be Zach Wilson."

Jetsbb

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Joe Douglas could me lose me entirely within this conversation. Going with Wilson/over trading back, not even giving Fields the time of day because he went to Florida to watch Toney whom he wants to take at 23, or even 34. 

I would cash out on Joe Douglas at the exact moment. 

You and me both, homey.  My only hope is that it's just smoke but whoa, if this is true and really going to Florida over Ohio, I'm already opting for a jump kick to the dick, I mean wtf, that is jut careless.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Arent they on different days?  I think it's like the 30th/31st, accordingly so idk, maybe he doesnt want to travel like that but I find it bizarre if he's considering QB at #2 that he's going to let someone else go on his behalf.  I would say that puts the nail in the coffin he's not interested in Fields which is concerning but also just thinking about the decision and where you need to make confirmation and it's just weird he wouldnt want to see the QB.  Like, what do the Gators have that you need in person confirmation?

The person said they think Douglas is going to Florida's pro day in passing while talking about Pitts, which I mistakenly thought would imply he's going to Florida's pro-day over Ohio State's but now that you mention it you're right: one is on 3/30 and the other is 3/31. Sorry about that. Not sure if he's going to OSU's or not

• Upvote 3

Just now, football guy said:

The person said they think Douglas is going to Florida's pro day in passing while talking about Pitts, which I mistakenly thought would imply he's going to Florida's pro-day over Ohio State's but now that you mention it you're right: one is on 3/30 and the other is 3/31. Sorry about that. Not sure if he's going to OSU's or not

Right on, thanks for clarifying...I sure to sh*t hope he's on a flight to Ohio after he visits Florida.

Here is the best argument I could make for why JD will trade Darnold.  Everything JD has done so far has been done with an eye towards not overpaying anybody.  If you go down the route of keeping Darnold and not drafting a QB then prudent business sense would require that you pick up his option for 2022 at $18+ million.  I know there have been arguments that the Jets could just pick it up and then if it doesn't work out then they have plenty of cap space so it wouldn't matter and it's worth the risk.  Does that seem like a risk JD would take?  If Darnold fails again next year his market price going into FA would be around $4-$6 million as a backup.  Do you think JD would be happy overpaying him by $14 million?  Could you imagine them passing up a QB, any QB, and then that QB blows up and plays great, then Darnold fails and then they still have to pay him $18 million in 2022?  Talk about compounding a mistake.  JD is literally the master of penny pinching and reducing risk.  He's not going to go against that nature by investing in Darnold as the starter going forward.  And there is no way he's going to keep Darnold as a backup or "bridge" and then let him leave in FA for nothing.  JD will get what he can and move on.  The Leo and Adams trades were different scenarios b/c those two players actually performed at a relatively high level. unlike Darnold.  To me JD would have to go against everything he has stood for as the GM for the Jets in order to keep Darnold and I just don't see it happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, TomDex69 said:

Here is the best argument I could make for why JD will trade Darnold.  Everything JD has done so far has been done with an eye towards not overpaying anybody.  If you go down the route of keeping Darnold and not drafting a QB then prudent business sense would require that you pick up his option for 2022 at $18+ million.  I know there have been arguments that the Jets could just pick it up and then if it doesn't work out then they have plenty of cap space so it wouldn't matter and it's worth the risk.  Does that seem like a risk JD would take?  If Darnold fails again next year his market price going into FA would be around $4-$6 million as a backup.  Do you think JD would be happy overpaying him by $14 million?  Could you imagine them passing up a QB, any QB, and then that QB blows up and plays great, then Darnold fails and then they still have to pay him $18 million in 2022?  Talk about compounding a mistake.  JD is literally the master of penny pinching and reducing risk.  He's not going to go against that nature by investing in Darnold as the starter going forward.  And there is no way he's going to keep Darnold as a backup or "bridge" and then let him leave in FA for nothing.  JD will get what he can and move on.  The Leo and Adams trades were different scenarios b/c those two players actually performed at a relatively high level. unlike Darnold.  To me JD would have to go against everything he has stood for as the GM for the Jets in order to keep Darnold and I just don't see it happening.

Great point 

41 minutes ago, TomDex69 said:

He blows goats.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, JTJet said:

Have you paid attention at all to free agency? This Jets team is airtight with information. 

There are 3 outcomes you can write articles about right now,

Staying with Sam, Trading Sam and picking Wilson, Trading back. 

That's it.

There’s also keeping darnold and also picking Wilson.  And there is still the whole Russell Wilson , Deshaun Watson scenarios hanging around.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

There’s also keeping darnold and also picking Wilson.  And there is still the whole Russell Wilson , Deshaun Watson scenarios hanging around.

Yes but I'm talking the 3 most likely scenarios that analysts and writers can write hundreds of articles about over and over again and very likely look smart just for "guessing" right. 

3 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

There is no way that JD's job is on the line no matter what he does or how it turns out next year.

His biggest risk is trading Sam and taking a QB at #2 OA and having that QB bust and have Sam go on to have success with another team.

Even with the worst case senario JD's here for at least another three years. Woody will not fire him with more than three years left on his six year contract. 

what about the even biggest risk.

keeping Sam and having Wilson have success somewhere else. the two aren't equal. 

Sam had 3 years and failed. how many more chances does he get? if hes fails for a 4th year JD looks really bad. and really bad for his job security.

nobody can blame JD if he trades Sam. and if Sams good somewhere else so be it. 

and Wilson is new. even if hes bad this year we are still going to give him at least 3 years to see what hes got right? so JD will get more time to see if he develops. 

this is a fan base that rents planes and billboards, we would be livid if we have to sit thru a 4th year of sucky Sam.

the media is all for drafting Wilson and trading Sam. that combined would put alot of pressure on Woody. 

how long does a manager give an employee who has failed at his job for 3 years before it starts reflexing poorly on HIS job 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

what about the even biggest risk.

keeping Sam and having Wilson have success somewhere else. the two aren't equal. 

Sam had 3 years and failed. how many more chances does he get? if hes fails for a 4th year JD looks really bad. and really bad for his job security.

nobody can blame JD if he trades Sam. and if Sams good somewhere else so be it. 

and Wilson is new. even if hes bad this year we are still going to give him at least 3 years to see what hes got right? so JD will get more time to see if he develops. 

this is a fan base that rents planes and billboards, we would be livid if we have to sit thru a 4th year of sucky Sam.

the media is all for drafting Wilson and trading Sam. that combined would put alot of pressure on Woody. 

how long does a manager give an employee who has failed at his job for 3 years before it starts reflexing poorly on HIS job 

Wilson will be getting injured a lot wherever he goes.  Especially if he doesn’t have a great OL protecting him which will be exactly the case here

• Thumb Down 1

JD doesn't show his hand.  I have mixed feelings. In some ways I believe Sam deserves a fresh start with a team and fan base that will be open to having him as QB. Wilson on one hand is athletically is impressive, and on the other hand size-physical toughness and mental toughness is questionable. The Jets would get a heap of draft picks for the 2nd pick. Build through the draft?

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Which defenses? Troy or San Diego State?

Wyoming played lots of great teams as well, as did Oregon....

What it comes down to is level of competition vs level of team mates.

Wilson had a lower level of comp but the other big name QBs has VASTLY better talent to work with both on offense and defense.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Which defenses? Troy or San Diego State?

Phil,

Serious question.  Fully hypothetical for this purpose...

Let's just say you know he won't be injury riddled and will be healthy...

Do you like him then?

I know your concerns and have been vocal about it, but I'm asking you, for this purpose alone.  Do you like him at 2?

• Upvote 1

You don’t really overpay to keep Darnold. 

The 5th year option for him is an overpay, but the franchise tag is not much more than that-it is basically buying an option.   So Darnold can always be kept with the option to tag and trade, 

We paid Fitz and McCown like $10mm to backup or tutor.  I would go with three young QBs with the new staff and roll with that. 

• Upvote 1