Zach Wilson Pro Day

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Wilsons most impressive throws to me were the short ones.  Not the splashy long ones.  The ball comes out on a line and a rocket on short to medium throws.

I agree. Though that moving to the left arcing bomb down the middle was just sick. The other little thing I noticed that set him apart was he consistently had the ball out before the WR broke. That is what you need in the NFL. Also anyone who continues to say he does not have a + arm if not a ++ arm is just being completely delusional. 

Here is what I think. Lynch and the Jets staff were pretty chummy. When Zack measured fine I believe they told Lynch that they were final on Wlson (who was likely their #1) and SF pulled the trigger on #3 for Lance, Fields or Jones. Amazing thing is that is is possible that the first 5 picks are QBs in this years draft. Or if Cin sticks with Sewell then first 4 and 5 of first six.

Some other observations. Saleh and even JD were smiling so hard they were in danger of splitting the masks. NFLN showed a reaction shot from Wilson in their convo with JD and Sala and LaFLeur and I have a suspicion they may have hinted super strongly that he was their guy. The trades certainly back the scenario up. The draft now seems to start art 3 not 2 with the mystery being which QB SF takes. Very unlikely it is Fields. 

Also, Jeremiah CLEARLY knows what the Jets are doing. You can hear it in the way he phrases things.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

I’d hope he can make the throws. QBs that can’t “make the throws” aren’t first round prospects 

You're clearly just not paying attention, he has one of the better Arms coming out of college in quite a while and is getting some impressive comparisons

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think Darnold gets traded to Denver if the Jets close the door on trading #2. And I might as well point it out: Douglas has a deadline on trading the pick. I'm not sure what the exact date is, somewhere around April 9, but I've always been told he'd vet offers for both and would want to get a deal done before the draft. He hasn't truly made either available yet. What's clear: he'll need more than what SF gave up for #3 to trade #2, and I have a hard time seeing that happen. 

All info I've seen is that Denver doesn't want to trade up for a QB. John Elway was obsessed with Darnold as a prospect, and George Paton liked him too. They want to bring in competition for Drew Lock, and I could honestly see Lock getting moved to Pittsburgh sometime during camp if Darnold were to win the job (he would). 

Medically everyone thinks Zach Wilson will be fine, but Douglas is very process oriented so I don't know if he speeds up the clock one way or another. I do believe that if Darnold is traded, Denver will be the team now that SF is out of the mix. 

FIRE THE CANNONS FOR PITTS AND ZACH WILSON

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think Darnold gets traded to Denver if the Jets close the door on trading #2. And I might as well point it out: Douglas has a deadline on trading the pick. I'm not sure what the exact date is, somewhere around April 9, but I've always been told he'd vet offers for both and would want to get a deal done before the draft. He hasn't truly made either available yet. What's clear: he'll need more than what SF gave up for #3 to trade #2, and I have a hard time seeing that happen. 

All info I've seen is that Denver doesn't want to trade up for a QB. John Elway was obsessed with Darnold as a prospect, and George Paton liked him too. They want to bring in competition for Drew Lock, and I could honestly see Lock getting moved to Pittsburgh sometime during camp if Darnold were to win the job (he would). 

Medically everyone thinks Zach Wilson will be fine, but Douglas is very process oriented so I don't know if he speeds up the clock one way or another. I do believe that if Darnold is traded, Denver will be the team now that SF is out of the mix. 

Agree. JD can't trade the pick till draft night. Have to make sure who goes #1. Sounds crazy, but you have to wait.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why wouldn't he be the right fit?  Hasn't it already been established that he would be a great fit in a Shanahan style offense?  We now have a decent wide receiver corp and will probably add to it in the draft plus a solid running game by committee.  I can see us adding another TE as well as a OL or two.  So why is not a good fit?   Why do you think he doesn't have the "mettle", what ever the heck that means?  Have you been paying attention for the last 3 years?  Have you seen Darnold perform under pressure?  They dude has been a deer in the headlights more often than not.    This kid has demonstrated on the field and in games that he has great field vision, solid decision making, extremely mobile, a very good and accurate arm and one of the fastest releases I have seen in a very long time and yet you think he is not a good fit???  

As far as him sitting goes, how do you know they won't do just that if they feel it is the right move?   I trust Saleh and his staff will do what makes the most sense for the team and Wilson.  If it is him starting right away great, if they feel he could use a few games to get used to NFL game speed, I have confidence they will do that.   Perhaps you should stop looking for reasons why it won't work and consider some of the reasons that it will. 

Take a breath dude, it'll be OK. Nowhere in my post did I suggest he wasn't a scheme fit. It's been well documented that his skill set translates well to this offense. I was very clearly talking about the team itself and where they are in their rebuild process. I don't think the Jets have the pieces on offense to support a rookie QB this year. QBs who have succeeded in recent years have come into way better situations than what the Jets currently have to offer. This team won 2 games last season. They need a stronger OL and more weapons on offense. They need to prove for one year that they're actually headed in the right direction. Like I said, I'd be in support of taking him and sitting him until they can get themselves on track. I want the Jets to bring a QB along the right way for once instead of rushing them into less than ideal situations. It's easy to trust JD and Saleh because they're new and unproven. I want to see them actually do it first.

52 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

great point. I was willing to give 5 for watson and everyone goofed on me.

Now you dummies have been schooled

I think the tweet actually proves the opposite. Someone just put a value of 3 1sts and a 3 on the #3 overall pick. Many of the people who were laughing at the trade suggestions proposed for the Jets were saying we aren't going to be giving 4 1st rounders or whatever because that would be the equivalent of giving away 6+ and the right to choose a franchise QB. If the 49ers offered 4 first rounders, we could turn around and say OK - we'll offer #2 and a first rounder next year - and our offer is WAY better than theirs since the market for 3 has been established (their next 3 1s + a third) - and our #2 overall beats that by itself sicne they'd be able to choose their non TL QB... and the remaining first we offer is next year as opposed to 2024...

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My son just said what if Jacksonville surprises everyone and takes Zach Wilson. 

It's possible and then we take Trevor Lawrence. NFL teams know more of what other teams are doing at the top of the draft. Pretty obvious where the league thinks this is going. At Wilson, without needing to use any additional capital is the way to go

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My son just said what if Jacksonville surprises everyone and takes Zach Wilson. 

LOL. That's what I mean. We trade the pick, That happens, and I come over, pick you up with two coolers full, and we go and camp out in Florham Park. In cammoflauge.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ben told me to watch Denver weeks ago.  Posted it here but it got lost in the FA thread.  That’s where I think he ultimately ends up.

27 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks for the info!

8 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Take a breath dude, it'll be OK. Nowhere in my post did I suggest he wasn't a scheme fit. It's been well documented that his skill set translates well to this offense. I was very clearly talking about the team itself and where they are in their rebuild process. I don't think the Jets have the pieces on offense to support a rookie QB this year. QBs who have succeeded in recent years have come into way better situations than what the Jets currently have to offer. This team won 2 games last season. They need a stronger OL and more weapons on offense. They need to prove for one year that they're actually headed in the right direction. Like I said, I'd be in support of taking him and sitting him until they can get themselves on track. I want the Jets to bring a QB along the right way for once instead of rushing them into less than ideal situations. It's easy to trust JD and Saleh because they're new and unproven. I want to see them actually do it first.

Take breath?  No need to be condescending as I'm breathing just fine.  You do realize that we have multiple first round picks this year and next right?   Not including whatever they get for Darnold.    You don't pass on franchise quarterbacks "because your team is not ready" or you have quarterback even though he has already had 3 years and have been underwhelming to say the least.  That is just plain stupid, period.  You take the qb and then proceed to build a team around him.   Teams that don't end up like the Jets, drafting safeties at 6 and passing on players like Watson and Mahomes.  I do trust JD and Saleh until they give me a reason not to. 

Again, who said they will be rushing anyone?  Suppose the KID IS READY??  Should they still sit him for a year??   Again, I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason to question their judgement.    

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We trade the #23 pick and Sam Darnold to the Broncos for the #9 pick. 

Sign me up. 

Heard Jeremiah say that the Jets could actually do tha (package Sam and 23).  Would get verrrrry interesting if it happened.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why wouldn't he be the right fit?  Hasn't it already been established that he would be a great fit in a Shanahan style offense?  We now have a decent wide receiver corp and will probably add to it in the draft plus a solid running game by committee.  I can see us adding another TE as well as a OL or two.  So why is not a good fit?   Why do you think he doesn't have the "mettle", what ever the heck that means?  Have you been paying attention for the last 3 years?  Have you seen Darnold perform under pressure?  They dude has been a deer in the headlights more often than not.    This kid has demonstrated on the field and in games that he has great field vision, solid decision making, extremely mobile, a very good and accurate arm and one of the fastest releases I have seen in a very long time and yet you think he is not a good fit???  

As far as him sitting goes, how do you know they won't do just that if they feel it is the right move?   I trust Saleh and his staff will do what makes the most sense for the team and Wilson.  If it is him starting right away great, if they feel he could use a few games to get used to NFL game speed, I have confidence they will do that.   Perhaps you should stop looking for reasons why it won't work and consider some of the reasons that it will. 

Makes you wonder why Shanahan didn't want to trade 1 pick for Sam when he's a natural for his system.  Maybe he's not?

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I agree. Though that moving to the left arcing bomb down the middle was just sick. The other little thing I noticed that set him apart was he consistently had the ball out before the WR broke. That is what you need in the NFL. Also anyone who continues to say he does not have a + arm if not a ++ arm is just being completely delusional. 

Here is what I think. Lynch and the Jets staff were pretty chummy. When Zack measured fine I believe they told Lynch that they were final on Wlson (who was likely their #1) and SF pulled the trigger on #3 for Lance, Fields or Jones. Amazing thing is that is is possible that the first 5 picks are QBs in this years draft. Or if Cin sticks with Sewell then first 4 and 5 of first six.

Some other observations. Saleh and even JD were smiling so hard they were in danger of splitting the masks. NFLN showed a reaction shot from Wilson in their convo with JD and Sala and LaFLeur and I have a suspicion they may have hinted super strongly that he was their guy. The trades certainly back the scenario up. The draft now seems to start art 3 not 2 with the mystery being which QB SF takes. Very unlikely it is Fields. 

Also, Jeremiah CLEARLY knows what the Jets are doing. You can hear it in the way he phrases things.

Ty for this, great post and insight.