Zach Wilson Pro Day

23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Who would you take, if they were all available? 

Pitts would make the most sense ot me. I know 'football guy' on here says we love him. As good as Chase is, I just have a hard time seeing us give up draft capital for a WR.

I just think we expect Corey Davis to be our number 1 guy. And if we do take a receiver it would be a slot receiver like Rondale Moore, who could take over from Crowder next year. Long term a Davis-Mims-Moore tandem is good enough for me. 

I would take Pitts and not look back. The guy will cause nightmares for more than a decade, according to my sources. 

LOL

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This version of the conversation last month was "as long as they are sign thuney / Lindley and arob everything will be great 

Look around the line stinks the tight ends are atrocious and Corey Davis is their wr1

A 3rd Rd guard is not going to move the needle .Zach wilson is going to start week 1 and not make it to week 17 healthy 

Just look at him. Myles Garrett would rip his arm off 

You’d be surprised at how quickly 2nd and 3rd round guards adapt. The TE we signed is a good blocker and so is Corey Davis. Like I said, it’s not just the blocking but the quick decision making and offense. 

27 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

???? dude sam is a second rounder at best. so your offer of 2 second rounders or really a second and third for not just a first but a blue chip prospect at 8????? not happening but i hope u r wrong

So why do you hope I’m wrong if we’re getting the better end of the deal? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He threw 60-70 passes, lots of running throws after roll outs.  So what, he was breathing heavier.  What does that mean?  That after throwing 70 passes in a game over a 30 minute period he might be breathing heavier?  

I didnt criticize your comments on his passing, just that he was out off shape, gasping and looked like he added garbage weight and the idea that the kid couldn't have added the 10 or so pounds to his body over that last 3 months since the end of BYUs season.  When that was clearly a concern to people

Right, you don't criticize the parts of my post that fit your narrative, but you get bent out of shape over the part of my post that disputes your narrative. Clearly, you are an unbiased person whose opinion should be taken seriously (that is sarcasm since you appear to need a little extra explaining). 

Just now, Maxman said:

He is so much better looking than you it isn't even up for debate.

His deep ball accuracy is unreal. Anyone can complete short passes and look good. This guy makes 60 yards look easy.

He's the Jets next QB.

I thought you like manly men!!!

He doesnt make it look any easier then any NFL level QB but hey, if we do draft him, I hope I've never been more wrong in my entire life and the kid is a star.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Guys the fact that you’re straight up losing your sh*t when all @maury77 said was hey it wasn’t perfect and that he might have added unnatural weight for his weigh in says more about you than him. I absolutely think fields is better than Wilson. But I could definitely have a full discussion of his shortcomings without feeling like you insulted my mother.

Thanks, but now I'm going to have fun with people in here :)

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He rolled out on 70% of his passes, lol. If his hammy hurt, why put yourself in a situation to stress it more and work it more?  Why not just sit in the pocket and delivered throws?  That's not what he did, he tried to show out, went full speed and was doing all sorts of rollouts throwing across his body, landing in all different types of positions, you're not doing that if you're worried about how your hammy is going to effect your performance.

He didnt want it.  You can lie to yourself all you want but he didnt want it.

40 times for QBs are dumb, but if Wilson laid down a 4.84/40, the pundit geniuses all stop calling him a “mobile passer” and that’s when they start obsessing over his height and weight deficiencies. Stupid? Sure. But that’s draft season. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Of course he put on a few lbs , he has been doing nothing but training for the last 3 months. Did you listen to any of his interviews? Its not like he was drinking beer and eating twinkies, clearly he has worked out, and gotten abit stronger... Thats what you do to prep for Draft , Nfl season.  He said he will likely get a 40 on tape before Draft. Nothing here...

Jesus f*cking christ some of you are dense. Let me put it in kindergarten terms for you.

The.problem.isn't.that.he.put.on.weight.per.se.its.that.we.don't.know.how.athletic.he.is.because.he.didn't.test.because.he.skipped.testing.probably.because.he.wasn't.as.fast.or.couldn't.jump.as.high.as.normal.due.to.the.added.weight.and.if.you.believe.the.hamstring.excuse.then.i.have.a.bridge.to.sell.you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Jesus f*cking christ some of you are dense. Let me put it in kindergarten terms for you.

The.problem.isn't.that.he.put.on.weight.per.se.its.that.we.don't.know.how.athletic.he.is.because.he.didn't.test.because.he.skipped.testing.probably.because.he.wasn't.as.fast.or.couldn't.jump.as.high.as.normal.due.to.the.added.weight.and.if.you.believe.the.hamstring.excuse.then.i.have.a.bridge.to.sell.you. 

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they’re flipping out. 

• Upvote 2

Interesting arguments here.  I don’t think Wilson was out of shape.  Didn’t look it.  I think him breathing hard was the result of the pace and constant rolling out and unnatural throwing positions which would take more out of you.  It’s possible he needs to get used to the added muscle?  As for the hammy, I personally think running all out for a 40 is much riskier than the roll outs.  Just wasn’t worth the risk.  He did say he wanted to run it eventually to put it on his resume.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

After reading this 30 page behemoth and watching the clips this morning gonna add my 2 cents.

I was lucky enough to attend Iowa pro days for 4 straight years in the mid 2000s.  Not as any sort of evaluator or anything close, but close enough to hear conversation tidbits and understand what the Iowa coaches expected for teams to be looking at.  That said, while I agree that pro days aren't super important in the scouting world, I think that they are more important than some here let on.  Things like mechanical consistency, bad habits, personality are much more on showcase here.  It's a baseline assessment. An opportunity to see behind the scenes red flags that might not have popped up previously.

The one thing I do like about Wilson a lot is he does have good mechanics, but he is not mechanical.  Sam Darnold is mechanical.  Almost as if he still thinks about his mechanics.  Wilson is fluid in everything he does.  Justin Fields and Lawrence also have a bit of that robotic, stiff mechanical nature about them as passers.  That's not always a bad thing, Peyton Manning was very mechanical but one if the best ever.   For me though, it's a bit if a concern when someone is like that.  Can't really explain why I don't like it, I just don't.  But Wilson isn't that 

He's definitely the most fluid thrower in the draft and has the most 'aesthetically pleasing" game, I just don't think that necessarily translates into wins. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

40 times for QBs are dumb, but if Wilson laid down a 4.84/40, the pundit geniuses all stop calling him a “mobile passer” and that’s when they start obsessing over his height and weight deficiencies. Stupid? Sure. But that’s draft season. 

100% as maury pointed out, the only reason why any of this is even remotely noteworthy this year is because of the lack of actual in person scouting they've been able to do on him and this the first time JD/Saleh have ever seen him in person, which is why I think the physical stuff outweighs the throwing in this scenario ie; height and weight check out, are you concerned with his conditioning, lack of testing due to hammy, etc.   You didnt go to see Zach's floor routine and how he runs in a straight line, it's getting your hands on him for the first time and doing the extra due diligence you cant via zoom/tape.

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually he said he added unatural, bad weight and it had him gasping for air.  

That he faked a hammy strain because he was out of shape

That he looked like he was carrying bad weight

Because what, he couldn't add 5-10 lbs to his frame since he was last seen in December?  Really, it has to be bad weight if he gained 10 pounds in 3 months?  

Thats what is wrong.  He wasnt discussion his ability to throw or how well the pro day went or didnt go.

I dont have a problem with anyone who doesnt like his game, who likes Fields over Wilson, thats a fun debate.  Theres no need to imagine stuff just to know a guy down

I didn’t see the pro day. I read he threw about 70 passes, which is on avg 25+ more than a typical 3 hour game.  How long between each of his throws ? 

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

After reading this 30 page behemoth and watching the clips this morning gonna add my 2 cents.

I was lucky enough to attend Iowa pro days for 4 straight years in the mid 2000s.  Not as any sort of evaluator or anything close, but close enough to hear conversation tidbits and understand what the Iowa coaches expected for teams to be looking at.  That said, while I agree that pro days aren't super important in the scouting world, I think that they are more important than some here let on.  Things like mechanical consistency, bad habits, personality are much more on showcase here.  It's a baseline assessment. An opportunity to see behind the scenes red flags that might not have popped up previously.

The one thing I do like about Wilson a lot is he does have good mechanics, but he is not mechanical.  Sam Darnold is mechanical.  Almost as if he still thinks about his mechanics.  Wilson is fluid in everything he does.  Justin Fields and Lawrence also have a bit of that robotic, stiff mechanical nature about them as passers.  That's not always a bad thing, Peyton Manning was very mechanical but one if the best ever.   For me though, it's a bit if a concern when someone is like that.  Can't really explain why I don't like it, I just don't.  But Wilson isn't that 

Great post.

I watches the video of Sam's pro day again yesterday. It does look like he is thinking about all this. I love Sam and know they did him dirty here. But it is time to move on.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, JiF said:

100% as maury pointed out, the only reason why any of this is even remotely noteworthy this year is because of the lack of actual in person scouting they've been able to do on him and this the first time JD/Saleh have ever seen him in person, which is why I think the physical stuff outweighs the throwing in this scenario ie; height and weight check out, are you concerned with his conditioning, lack of testing due to hammy, etc.   You didnt go to see Zach's floor routine and how he runs in a straight line, it's getting your hands on him for the first time and doing the extra due diligence you cant via zoom/tape.

A bit off topic but I am wondering what kind of shape sam shows up in on april 5th or whenever they can see him.

Always wanted him to spend more time in the gym and bulk up a bit.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

A bit off topic but I am wondering what kind of shape sam shows up in on april 5th or whenever they can see him.

You have to stay lean to boggie board.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Great post.

I watches the video of Sam's pro day again yesterday. It does look like he is thinking about all this. I love Sam and know they did him dirty here. But it is time to move on.

I did the same.  That’s spot on.  Sam can make the throws but he’s obviously not as fluid and natural.  Seems more forced and clumsy compared to Wilson.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Maxman said:

Confidence has always been an issue for Sam IMO. Hesitant on pulling the trigger & the window closes, the DB now in position for the pick. Feeling good about himself as an athlete again will help on a new team. He needs to adapt an Aaron Rodgers type of attitude. If receiver screws up you call him out...especially a rookie

• Upvote 1

Watching this thread unfold has convinced me we need to draft Wilson

If you all are this heated when hes not even on the team, drafting him will make it entertaining around here for a few years to say the least.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

You really think they would draft him without having him run at a private workout ?

Seems like a silly thing to obsess over at this point

• Sympathy 1

Just now, CTM said:

Watching this thread unfold has convinced me we need to draft Wilson

If you all are this heated when hes not even on the team, drafting him will make it entertaining around here for a few years to say the least.

I have a spreadsheet of projected post counts by QB.

Five year analysis says Zach is the guy.

The one month post count return on Mac Jones is tempting though.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1