Zach Wilson Pro Day

I'm not saying Wilson's arm isn't potentially something special , but the guy was throwing w/o shoulder pads and w/o a pass rush. A lot of QB's can throw the ball 50+ yards in those conditions , hell just watch the kids in the Punt , Pass & Kick competitions.  
Have you watched a single BYU game ... if you have .. I do not understand what you are getting ... his pro day confirmed what is displayed on game tape.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Did he swallow it , that's a throwback to the Jet Insider days, where a kid thought he was gonna die because he swallowed gum. 

I’m not anti Wilson, I do like Fields however. 

Chewing gum significantly increases self-rated levels of alertness, decreases self-rated levels of anxiety and stress, reduces salivary cortisol levels, and enhances overall performance.

Fire away!

He has the skills but Mental toughness is key playing in the NFL and especially in NY. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

He rolled out on 70% of his passes, lol. If his hammy hurt, why put yourself in a situation to stress it more and work it more?  Why not just sit in the pocket and delivered throws?  That's not what he did, he tried to show out, went full speed and was doing all sorts of rollouts throwing across his body, landing in all different types of positions, you're not doing that if you're worried about how your hammy is going to effect your performance.

He didnt want it.  You can lie to yourself all you want but he didnt want it. And I'm not saying it means anything, but he didnt want to be tested.

Ugh he explained it well in his BYU interview a week and a half ago. It is not a big deal. From tape you can see that he has burst mobility and speed. And he does plan on doing the workout on tape and sending it out after the pro day. But let's all crucify him like you expect him to run a 5.0. 4.8 is considered OK for a QB (they said it several times at Jones pro day) and he is more a 4.6 guy. No red flag here.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Ugh he explained it well in his BYU interview a week and a half ago. It is not a big deal. From tape you can see that he has burst mobility and speed. And he does plan on doing the workout on tape and sending it out after the pro day. But let's all crucify him like you expect him to run a 5.0. 4.8 is considered OK for a QB (they said it several times at Jones pro day) and he is more a 4.6 guy. No red flag here.

Many fans loved Kenny O whose 40 time could have been recorded by a sun dial. No rushing td's in his 10 year career no surprise at all.. Wilson had 10 last season..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

. Given that he’s a Texans superfan

This would be news to Buzbee.  :)

“I need to dispel some silly rumors,” Buzbee said. “Yes, I live on River Oaks Boulevard and I live near the McNair family. I don’t know the McNair family. I wouldn’t recognize Cal or Hal or whatever his name is, if I saw him on the street..................................................

I don’t know anything about that silliness and frankly don’t care about it. The Texans are not a team that I follow. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Tony-Buzbee-McNair-neighbors-Deshaun-Watson-Texans-16039288.php

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He rolled out on 70% of his passes, lol. If his hammy hurt, why put yourself in a situation to stress it more and work it more?  Why not just sit in the pocket and delivered throws?  That's not what he did, he tried to show out, went full speed and was doing all sorts of rollouts throwing across his body, landing in all different types of positions, you're not doing that if you're worried about how your hammy is going to effect your performance.

He didnt want it.  You can lie to yourself all you want but he didnt want it. And I'm not saying it means anything, but he didnt want to be tested.

You’re the one seeing more than there was 

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Right, you don't criticize the parts of my post that fit your narrative, but you get bent out of shape over the part of my post that disputes your narrative. Clearly, you are an unbiased person whose opinion should be taken seriously (that is sarcasm since you appear to need a little extra explaining). 

You need to stop.  You know what I criticized.   No one has to agree.  It’s a disusion. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

This post is over the line.

@Jet Nut

It is probably time for you two to use the ignore feature.

Yeah Max, I don’t get his over the top response .  I didn’t go down  this road.   I didn’t say anything this over the top and walked away hours ago.   In fact 3 hours ago I asked him to stop

I’ll leave him alone.  That comment was over the top and not appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

This would be news to Buzbee.  :)

“I need to dispel some silly rumors,” Buzbee said. “Yes, I live on River Oaks Boulevard and I live near the McNair family. I don’t know the McNair family. I wouldn’t recognize Cal or Hal or whatever his name is, if I saw him on the street..................................................

I don’t know anything about that silliness and frankly don’t care about it. The Texans are not a team that I follow. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Tony-Buzbee-McNair-neighbors-Deshaun-Watson-Texans-16039288.php

How novel.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/billboard-pushes-johnny-manziel/story?id=22214547

73F278E3-9D72-4199-AD57-AE1A1AA05A3B.png

42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I remember being really impressed with Sam;s pro day so I watched it again. And before anyone jumps down my throat it is just one data point.

Sam's Pro Day is still very impressive really. But when you watch them back to back Wilson's is at an entirely different level.

First off is release and velocity. Wilson's release is way faster (and Sam is not slow) but the velocity of the ball is just so much crisper. Wilson with less apparent effort was throwing the ball probably 20% faster than Sam. That bodes well for the NFL.

Second, Sam's footwork is sort of not that smooth. When he does the designed rollouts it feels sort of choreographed, there is sort of a deliberateness to it. But Wilson is just sikly.

Also Wilson threw the ball much deeper than Sam. Sam did connect on some deeper throws but Wilson threw some outrcuts that were almost as deep as Sam's deep passes.

I think the thing that jumped out at me watching Wilson again though was one throw, and not the famous one.

One one throw Wilson roles out and Beck is trying to get in his way. Well it seems like he does not really get out of the way like he should and Wilson just effortlessly throws a dart side arm for the slant.

You cannot get carried away with a Pro Day. As Maury pointed out he threw some clangers out there. He sailed an out, overthrew a couple deep and threw a couple shorter screen passes a little low. @maury77 This is the one negative I find about Wilson in that in tape I noticed Zack sometimes rushed his screens and sort of threw them in the dirt. This is something he will have to improve on in the NFL, he is not as good as the other QBs in this draft at throwing behind the LOS and it showed a little in the Pro Day. One would think that should be coachable though.

All in all to get back to the original post, if we are going to go by Pro Day and game tape, Wilson is certainly a better prospect than Sam was.

This is very correct. Wilson does struggle with passes behind the line of scrimmage. Struggle of course is relative but for a QB that’s basically good at everything you have to nitpick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Some of the responses to this post were really funny. I really thought this was a great and fair post. Literally went through 15 pages in this thread for fair feedback on how his Pro Day was going as I was unable to watch. Btw how great was that weather yesterday?

The best reads on the site are when Fields Fans give a fair take on Wilson or vice versa. 

Also in reading this site for the past month or so its so crazy that fans are so polarized on Wilson vs Fields and there seems to be a very high chance that perhaps the best offensive mind in the NFL (Kyle Shanahan) may have just traded a crazy amount of assets for Lance/Mac who none of us have really talked about much. 

I watched the Pro Day and I was a-little disappointed. That throw he made when moving to his left only a few NFL QB's make. A few of his deep throws I think would be Elite in the NFL. But When you have a month to work on the same routine I would expect more accuracy on many of these throws. Also his mechanics concern me big time.  To me its like watching Josh Donaldson's swing. Some of those throws he's literally throwing with no feet on the ground. How can someone be consistently accurate with so many moving parts? I think the only person I have seen do it is Mahomes. So what happens when he throws interceptions in the NFL. Does he become more hesitant to take deep chances downfield? Bc that is essentially why we are drafting him. 

Im absolutely fine if we take Zach but I am personally really hoping we trade down with the Panthers. There really is a chance the Panthers Panic after yesterday. I think those moves trades screwed them and there is a chance they get no QB this year. With Watsons situation I feel like that Front office is going to be looking at their board today and thinking they need to be talking to the Jets. 

We match up really well with them. We have the cap space to take on Bridgewater's contract if we need to. We can include Crowder if they want to replace Samuel in the slot.

Lastly when you look at the board Atlanta likely wont trade for them as it's the same division. Cincy is not passing on Sewell. Miami traded to 6 for a reason. Then Detroit is a threat to take a QB if one falls  or could possibly trade back to Denver/NE so its a real threat that there not getting any QB this year. If there is ever a team desperate to trade up it will be them. Hoping a deal gets done with them. There should be alot of smoke with them and the Jets the next 2 weeks. 

Joe Douglas is not a guy thats going to pass on a overwhelming offer. I think the trades yesterday put the Panthers in a position where they kind of need to make that type of offer. On The Jets side the Miami trade yesterday should really hit people hard that the Bills and Dolphins are going to be problems for a long time. Add in The Pats and this could be the toughest division in Football soon. Zach Wilson is not going to solve this. Take the draft picks and build this team.

Shock, there is no room for nuance on the strip, you either worship at the altar of Wilson or you are a heretic. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is very correct. Wilson does struggle with passes behind the line of scrimmage. Struggle of course is relative but for a QB that’s basically good at everything you have to nitpick. 

I remember in one of Gruden's QB School videos, it might even have been Hackenburgs where a QB prospect struggled (worse than Wilson) at same thing and Gruden was explaining why and running drills. I think he will get better at it.

The fact that Sam’s footwork is not as smooth as Wilson’s should not be that much of a surprise, since Wilson has been training to be a QB much longer than Sam has.  That to me was the biggest knock on Darnold.  

So Sam needed more, better coaching to reach his potential.  More perhaps than even Josh Allen. He got less, worse coaching than Josh Allen. 

But just because he got shafted does not mean we don’t pull the plug and reboot, because we can with the 2nd pick in the draft, which we should have get again for a very long time. 

30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Wasnt Geno also considered a possible top pick till he had a bad pro day?

No Geno actually had a really good Pro Day which is why people were shocked when he fell in the draft I think Geno was a decent guy, but socially awkward and not really the sharpest tool in the shed which hurt him.

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean what does prove something mean? Getting rid of over bloated contracts, signing players to fair contracts, picking a good HC Candidate, addressing edge and line, changing out the medical side of things, building a culture, being fair and not over reacting to to players...idk it doesn't seem like blind faith it seems the very opposite. I can literally see the changes at one jets drive, from staff to players...all the whole seeing the new culture and stopping the old culture. Hell he got the jets to fix the damn hierarchy of owner gm HC for ****s sake. I mean if you don't see all that I'm not sure what your looking at.

I'm looking at a losing team who has no QB, no elite players and a GM who keeps giving starter money based on potential instead of past results while having a shaky at best first draft and who's results at free agency so far have been downright bad.

4 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Such over analysis on QB’s. Surround a QB who has  the necessary physical tools to play, with talent, get a coach who knows how to setup a QB to succeed, and most QBs will perform well. Put poor talent or a sh*t coach with any non HOF QB and they will look bad. It’s really that simple. 

The 49ers had a choice. Spend three first round picks on the third QB in the draft or spend a 2nd rounder on former #3 overall pick in the draft Sam Darnold. If it was as simple as you say they would have picked the latter.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Wasnt Geno also considered a possible top pick till he had a bad pro day?

No Geno was “considered” to be a top pick and Heisman contender early in 2012 after he destroyed James Madison and Marshall and some other cupcakes, throwing 6-7 TDs a game, a bunch of which were 1/2 yard shovel passes to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey who would then score from 80 yards out. 

After he started playing real teams he was never again considered a Heisman candidate or a top pick. And then he totally blew up in his bowl game against Syracuse at Yankee Stadium. I was there, he was awful. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Have you watched a single BYU game ... if you have .. I do not understand what you are getting ... his pro day confirmed what is displayed on game tape.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah , like I said he has a great arm. For people to go gaga over a workout in shorts is hilarious . Are people going to jump back on Fields bandwagon when he throws 60 yard passes in shorts and w/o a pass rush.  The key points about  pro day workouts have relatively little to do with what 95% of the Wilson fans are creaming their pants over. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The fact that Sam’s footwork is not as smooth as Wilson’s should not be that much of a surprise, since Wilson has been training to be a QB much longer than Sam has.  That to me was the biggest knock on Darnold.  

So Sam needed more, better coaching to reach his potential.  More perhaps than even Josh Allen. He got less, worse coaching than Josh Allen. 

But just because he got shafted does not mean we don’t pull the plug and reboot, because we can with the 2nd pick in the draft, which we should have get again for a very long time. 

See I disagree with that . Did Sam have great coaches and great talent on the Jets - No .

But for a highly picked NFL QB the little things that need to be worked on to take the next steps , have to come from within that player to want to get better. Whether its working on mechanics, footwork, watching boatloads of game file those things don't require great coaching or teams to  improve. Both Sam and Josh Allen worked with the same QB tutor offseasons in Palmer, Sam for whatever reason didn't get out of it what Josh did , its up to Sam to find the right person to unlock his potential and to have the drive to put in the hard work.  I really think part of Sam's problem is he just doesn't want it bad enough. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2021 at 6:54 PM, Patriot Killa said:

much more aggressive than mono. sounds promising. The burning when he pees may put him on a foul mood on game day, good for us, AKA bad for the opponents. 

strategic angle from Mr. Douglas and the Jets.

As long as his balls don't feel like a pair of maracas 

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Dude, you need to relax.  I didnt crucify him, I literally said in the post you quoted this doesnt matter.  It's an observation and I'm not alone in it, many here in thread observed the same thing. I dont care about his 40 time at all. 

I disagree with just about everything you claim you see on tape.  You've literally said he's the best college QB you've ever seen, so no offense, it's hard to take you serious from that perspective. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The 49ers had a choice. Spend three first round picks on the third QB in the draft or spend a 2nd rounder on former #3 overall pick in the draft Sam Darnold. If it was as simple as you say they would have picked the latter.

Darnold has a ton of baggage and one year to make a decision on. A rookie gets you a lot longer. This isn’t rocket science. There’s a reason why so many top prospects suck, they are drafted by sh*t teams with sh*t coaches and sh*t players.