Zach Wilson Pro Day

So is JD acting today?

1.  If he seems really interested, he's really making sure teams will spend to move up for Wilson.  Meanwhile intention is to keep Sam.

2.  If he seems disinterested, he actually wants Wilson and he's just trying to keep Sam's trade value up.

46 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've been on the Fields train from the get go.  I've always thought(and still do) he is every bit of the prospect Lawrence is.  I'd still rather have Fields than Wilson.  Seemingly every draft produces a QB that makes people scratch their heads on how teams passed them over.  I am certain that will be Fields this draft.

But I'm resigned to the fact that it won't be him unfortunately.

Unrelated to your post, but if I'm the Jets and I'm serious about Wilson, I ask him to complete a throwing session outside today.  45 degrees and 10-15 mph in Provo today.  I'm sure that won't happen, but I'd be interested bin his response if they asked.

It's frustrating because I feel like I can talk myself into or out of either of them at any given moment. Wilson's stats and film look impressive, and I frankly don't care all that much about the level of competition thing, but the medical stuff terrifies me. For all the times I've broken bit's balls about it, he's right that the guy looks like a high schooler, and taking a guy with two rebuilt labrums at 2OA puts me in a flop sweat. Fields has everything you look for physically and mentally, but I can't shake the feeling that he was a really good college player but not a dominant one. Plus OSU has put a number of QB into the league recently, and none have come close to impressing.

Really wish we'd gone 0-16!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

The fact that Matt Rhule isn’t there pretty much cancels out any chance of Carolina trading up to #2... and they were basically the last realistic team that was going to.

Add the fact that our GM • HC • OC are all there.... this ain’t no smokescreen. 

Haven't they been linked to Fields a bunch?

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's frustrating because I feel like I can talk myself into or out of either of them at any given moment. Wilson's stats and film look impressive, and I frankly don't care all that much about the level of competition thing, but the medical stuff terrifies me. For all the times I've broken bit's balls about it, he's right that the guy looks like a high schooler, and taking a guy with two rebuilt labrums at 2OA puts me in a flop sweat. Fields has everything you look for physically and mentally, but I can't shake the feeling that he was a really good college player but not a dominant one. Plus OSU has put a number of QB into the league recently, and none have come close to impressing.

I am over 50 and had labrum surgery about 5 years ago.  My shoulder is stronger and less pain.   I would not worry at all

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The one thing that would/does scare me about Fields is that the mistakes he does make are often excused away by "trying to do too much". 

I have/had said that as an excuse for some of Darnold's bone head plays during his tenure here.  While I do think there is a difference between an error like that and an error where you simply misread a coverage or completely don't see someone resulting in a turnover, they are all mental mistakes regardless, which I wasn't as eager to admit previously.

That said, Fields makes FAR less of those errors in college than Darnold did.

It's hard to tell with Wilson, because he wasn't in those situations as often, but he doesn't appear to make those types of mistakes as often as Fields. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I am over 50 and had labrum surgery about 5 years ago.  My shoulder is stronger and less pain.   I would not worry at all

Do you have 300+ lb guys running at you full speed in pads and helmet in your line of work?

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The one thing that would/does scare me about Fields is that the mistakes he does make are often excused away by "trying to do too much". 

I have/had said that as an excuse for some of Darnold's bone head plays during his tenure here.  While I do think there is a difference between an error like that and an error where you simply misread a coverage or completely don't see someone resulting in a turnover, they are all mental mistakes regardless, which I wasn't as eager to admit previously.

That said, Fields makes FAR less of those errors in college than Darnold did.

It's hard to tell with Wilson, because he wasn't in those situations as often, but he doesn't appear to make those types of mistakes as often as Fields. 

Yeah, the sacks are a particular concern with Fields. But I just read Klassen's writeups on both guys at FO and now I'm firmly #TeamJustin

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The fact that Matt Rhule isn’t there pretty much cancels out any chance of Carolina trading up to #2... and they were basically the last realistic team that was going to.

Add the fact that our GM • HC • OC are all there.... this ain’t no smokescreen. 

Could be postering. Their GM and offensive guru are there.

Urban Meyer (offensive minded coach) not being there seems more meaningful. The Jags are just sending their OC.