Zach Wilson Pro Day

4 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

And the pro day will not determine how Wilson plays when under pressure. His one good year was against high school level talent throwing to wide open receivers while under zero pressure.

This is not to say that he can't rise up and be a FQB in the NFL but it sure would be nice to have game film of him playing against top level competition before we use (waste) both the #2 OA pick and lose Sam.

BYU finished ranked the #11th best team in the country. Competition is taken into account when ranking teams.  
just stop with this nonsense - they didn’t play the competition level of Ohio State and Clemson but they were legitimate division 1 - FBS schools.  

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Jamie should tell that to Teddy Bridgewater.  His pro day basically eliminated him from all of the first overall pick conversations.

That supports my opinion of pro days.  Top level players can only hurt their evaluations as they are expected to nail these scripted work outs.

21 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Hes bigger than: 

Baker Mayfield 

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson 

Kyler Murray

Lamar Jackson

Tua

Hes roughly the same size as: 

Teddy Bridgewater

Aaron Rodgers

Andy Dalton

Jimmy G

Kirk Cousins 

Deshaun Watson

Gardner Minshew

Thats nearly half the starting QBs in the league last year

If you want to be concerned about his shoulder injury - I totally get it. Chad Pennington was bigger than him and couldn't stay healthy. We've all seen athletic freaks who couldn't stay on the field b/c of injuries - some guys are just injury prone. If he fails his medicals I'm all for taking Fields over him - but to say his size alone is the reason he won't make it is silly. 

I did not say he wont make it.  

I do have serious durability concerns. Especially for the #2 overall pick that we can revamp this roster with. This franchise cannot afford to bust on another top 5 QB or with another top 5 pick.  

• Upvote 1

Regarding competition: I'd say playing at a power 5 traditional school surrounded by top recruits is arguably more detrimental than going to Nowheresville State and having to elevate subpar teammates who will not go pro. A tight window is a tight window whether it's the SEC or Mountain West. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Regarding competition: I'd say playing at a power 5 traditional school surrounded by top recruits is arguably more detrimental than going to Nowheresville State and having to elevate subpar teammates who will not go pro. A tight window is a tight window whether it's the SEC or Mountain West. 

Where did wilson elevate them to? The Idaho potato bowl? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Reprisalizer said:

I did not say he wont make it.  

I do have serious durability concerns. Especially for the #2 overall pick that we can revamp this roster with. This franchise cannot afford to bust on another top 5 QB or with another top 5 pick.  

Seriously, who plays QB next year then?

22 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

And the pro day will not determine how Wilson plays when under pressure. His one good year was against high school level talent throwing to wide open receivers while under zero pressure.

This is not to say that he can't rise up and be a FQB in the NFL but it sure would be nice to have game film of him playing against top level competition before we use (waste) both the #2 OA pick and lose Sam.

It’s about physical and mental  traits shown on the field to me.. I don’t care about the competition because in the end it all evens out because aside from a few olineman he has no other pros in that offense.

Guys like Lawrence and Fields face better competition but are also surrounded by NFL talent on offense that most weeks are much more talented then their competition even in a better league 

Lawrence at 6'5" 213lbs scares me way more than Wilson. That is lanky. Also, Lawrence' shoulder surgery to his non throwing arm scares the poop out of me too. Typically when you get hit with a ball in your hand you brace with your off hand/arm. If they rush him back he will hurt it again pretty quickly. I think he's going to miss the first 2-4 weeks of the season due to the injury. With labrum injuries the only thing that helps is time. I had the same surgery 4 years ago and I'm having my 2nd one a week before the draft.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Seriously, who plays QB next year then?

Sam. Build the roster up using the picks we have now.  

Worry about QB later. ZW is not a good enough prospect to be the #2 overall.  He is def. a 1st rounder - probably a 10-15 pick ideally. But that is not the case this year.  He will cost the #2 overall.  The opportunity cost is too great to a franchise devoid of talent.  

Trade down, get a blue chipper on offense (Chase, Pitts, Waddle, Sewell) & have at least an extra 1st and 2nd rounder in addition.

I get it, I dont know that Sam is going to right the ship either. Its not about Sam or ZW - its about the opportunity cost and risk associated with spending the #2 overall on a 60/40 prospect.  For me. 

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

When: Friday, 1 p.m.

Channel: NFL Network

Beyond Wilson: Wilson makes BYU's Pro Day a must-watch, but Friday's coverage will include several other school's pro day, including Michigan, Boston College and Virginia Tech. A few players you might want to pay attention to who could also fit needs for the Jets: Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley and offensive tackle Christian Darrisaw, BC tight end Hunter Long and Michigan edge rusher Kwity Paye (although given the Jets' investment in the d-line in free agency, it's unlikely they take a pass-rusher projected in the first round).

43 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Is this thing on tv at 12pm or 1pm?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

For the only wide open crowd

One of the reasons why his pocket looks clean is because he's a great PA QB. Something we've missed since Pennington. And no, you don't need a great running game to get it done (Bills showed this) but our scheme will help.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers went 24 and sat for 3 years 

Spiced Rum Dance GIF by Captain Morgan

Rodgers also came from an air raid offense in a time where NFL HC's never adjusted their offense to help their young QB's out. Now teams are adjusting to maximize the productivity of their young QB's. The days of early 1st round QB's sitting are over.