The 2021 Linebacker Group

It seems to me that, in a 3-4, you are supposed to invest in your LBs, inside and outside, and use the DL has space eaters.

Good teams in the 4-3 invest in the DL, and the LBs are picked up later in the draft. 

I think about 4-3 teams and think about who plays LB for them, and where they were drafted, and I have a hard time thinking of them.  Players like TJ Watt and Devin White-I know who they are.  

Obviously Idzik and Maccagnan did not draft at all to fit their defenses.  

My guess is that most of the 4-3 LBs in the NFL, even the very good ones, were selected in the 3rd round and below.

Even Blake Cashman was supposed to be a 4-3 LB.  Mac picked him.  He will be better in this scheme, unless he has been permanently damaged.  

• Upvote 1

If the beat are to be believed, sounds like Patrick Onwuasor is a guy the Jets are interested in bringing back. Still a lot of guys who fit that should be had on cheap 1-year deals. As far as the trade market, keep an eye out for Kenny Young (LAR) in a trade.

I expect them to draft multiple when it's all said and done. They may not go high, but I could easily see them taking 2 on Day 3. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the beat are to be believed, sounds like Patrick Onwuasor is a guy the Jets are interested in bringing back. Still a lot of guys who fit that should be had on cheap 1-year deals. As far as the trade market, keep an eye out for Kenny Young (LAR) in a trade.

I expect them to draft multiple when it's all said and done. They may not go high, but I could easily see them taking 2 on Day 3. 

Me too.  I also expect undrafted free agents to choose the Jets since we have the roster spots.

14 hours ago, chad2coles said:

Defenses play a majority of their snaps in nickel at this point with 2 LB on the field.  It also seems like Saleh might be using 3 safety formations.  I really hope they plan on bringing back Poole and upgrading our cornerbacks further, but it doesn't seem like the o-line or secondary are priorities in free agency.  It's too bad because those position groups, along with QB, were the biggest contributing factors to a 2-14 record.

Exactly correct.

First off, trading mosley would be idiotic as we dont have a MLB on the roster and he was an elite player before being hurt and sitting out.  Its tough to count on someone who missed two full years, but the chance of him returning to form is worth not trading him.  Plus he is elite in coverage, so he will excel in this zone system.

Secondly, the team will be playing predominantly 4-2-5 with Davis playing close to the LOS.  He was touted as a "centerfielder" coming out due to his speed, but he actually played very well close to the LOS last year, is very tough and can allow joyner and maye to both play "FS-roles" in a 2-deep.  

Id very much like to see Poole back, but one of the other posters claimed the team really likes Guidry, so he may be the fall back option at Nickel CB

i don't know whether there's a real distinction between 4-3 and 3-4 anymore at least as far as personnel go.  there may be some physical attributes that and inside lb needs versus an olb but i don't think there's that much distinction.  as for mosely, i think he's plenty fast to play inside or outside.  my concern will be him wanting to play with fire.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't know whether there's a real distinction between 4-3 and 3-4 anymore at least as far as personnel go.  there may be some physical attributes that and inside lb needs versus an olb but i don't think there's that much distinction.  as for mosely, i think he's plenty fast to play inside or outside.  my concern will be him wanting to play with fire.

4-3 lbs need to be fast so they can cover ground.  3-4 ILBs need size in order to fill gaps at LOS

that’s why Jonathan Vilma was a very good 4-3 MLB who became a trash 3-4 ILB thanks to Mangini

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

4-3 lbs need to be fast so they can cover ground.  3-4 ILBs need size in order to fill gaps at LOS

that’s why Jonathan Vilma was a very 4-3 MLB who became a trash 3-4 ILB thanks to Mangini

i can see that but you look at a lot of lbs and they're a lot like large safeties.  they're also similar in size.  i'm not worried about mosely fitting in if he still has the fire to play hard.