Shanahan RBs - historical perspective (alternate title: Our RBs are fine, let it go)

49ers sign Colemon to a 2 years - 10M contract. 49ers signed Jerick McKinnon to a 4 year $ 30M contract. They've certainly invested in the RB position and they've had a good OL and WRs blocking for them.

21 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

49ers sign Colemon to a 2 years - 10M contract. 49ers signed Jerick McKinnon to a 4 year $ 30M contract. They've certainly invested in the RB position and they've had a good OL and WRs blocking for them.

How'd those contacts work out for them? 

• Upvote 1

Ty Johnson is just fine based on what

Remember, the object this season is to score touchdowns. I appreciate the long post, but lets get players that can play football that also score touchdowns. 

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

How'd those contacts work out for them? 

Bad cause of INJ, however that doesn't change the fact that they made majory commitments financially at the RB position. Just because your Ferrari broke down and your Toyota Camry is still driving doesn't change that fact that you a major financial commitment on a car. In these scenarios the outcome on the major investments didn't go as plan and you had to settle for the lesser prestige of the two.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Remember, the object this season is to score touchdowns. I appreciate the long post, but lets get players that can play football that also score touchdowns. 

D87EEF4E-DA46-44E9-A672-463282F717D4.jpeg.0acedad2cbb797e88731d5359147147a.jpeg

4 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I still want harris or Etienne if they are there at 34 that is.. 

I wouldn’t rule out either one in the second rd still

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Bad cause of INJ, however that doesn't change the fact that they made majory commitments financially at the RB position. Just because your Ferrari broke down and your Toyota Camry is still driving doesn't change that fact that you a major financial commitment on a car. In these scenarios the outcome on the major investments didn't go as plan and you had to settle for the lesser prestige of the two.

Right, but those investments at RB are by far the exception to the rule for the system, and didn't work out.  Meanwhile, they got very solid production out of the lesser investment guys who replaces McKinnon and Coleman.  So why do you think they'd support trying that ever again?  

In addition, that still doesn't demonstrate a willingness to use a high pick on a RB.  That's the more relevant part of this now that free agency is winding down.  

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

Chubba Hubbard in the 4th or 5th makes the most sense for us if we're going to draft a RB. 

Trey Sermon in round 6

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

That is why Tommy Vardell and Brad Baxter are hall of famers, excellent point

this is adam gase thinking, not football thinking. Gase was the type of dude that was like here is my system, here is what i like to do...everything else is your problem. a football team is built by balancing what you have vs what you can get and figuring out the ways to maximize returns i.e. wins. sure "the system" may steer you towards certain type players, but its a factor thats all.

another words, if drafting Najee Harris fits based on talent, skill set, character and how he will improve THE OTHER PLAYERS ON THE TEAM....no one is saying....hey guys...cant draft him....our RB's need to be late round picks.

The Jets are fine at RB right now. Maybe they'll draft one in the second half of the draft (Seattle's 3rd or later). I think it's pretty clear that Joe Douglas is a value oriented guy, and RBs drafted high do not represent good value. It's an expendable position. If he doesn't trade out of #23 & 34, my best guess right now would be an IOL and an Edge with those two picks. Seems to be value there unless one of the top three WRs makes it down to #23. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are fine at RB right now. Maybe they'll draft one in the second half of the draft (Seattle's 3rd or later). I think it's pretty clear that Joe Douglas is a value oriented guy, and RBs drafted high do not represent good value. It's an expendable position. If he doesn't trade out of #23 & 34, my best guess right now would be an IOL and an Edge with those two picks. Seems to be value there unless one of the top three WRs makes it down to #23. 

I mostly agree with two exception.

I think IOL and CB are the biggest 'needs' although I can see Edge instead of CB if the value is materially different.

And while I agree we are fine at RB right now, and I wouldn't draft someone just to be a minor upgrade, I would still consider Harris if he dropped to #34 because that's not a minor upgrade.  That kid is a freight train with speed and hands.  Complete package.  He might be a young QBs best friend and for that, he could be worth a little side-step to the plan.

Having said, that, the counterpoint is I think the DAL blueprint of the 80s makes so much sense.

• Spend 1-2 years to build a solid OLine
  • Get the star WR, get him a year to figure out the NFL.
  • Then next year get the QB, who comes in with an experienced stud WR to work with.
  • Then next year get the RB, who has the shortest shelf-life and now you have your big-3.

We don't exactly have our Michael Irvin yet, nor do we have the OLine we need.  So one could approach things and say, fix that this year.  Maybe we could argue that we need to grab the QB now while we are in position to do so and fix the OL and WR at the same time.  But in either case, it feels too soon to add the RB, who should probably be the last piece you put in place.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I mostly agree with two exception.

I think IOL and CB are the biggest 'needs' although I can see Edge instead of CB if the value is materially different.

And while I agree we are fine at RB right now, and I wouldn't draft someone just to be a minor upgrade, I would still consider Harris if he dropped to #34 because that's not a minor upgrade.  That kid is a freight train with speed and hands.  Complete package.  He might be a young QBs best friend and for that, he could be worth a little side-step to the plan.

Having said, that, the counterpoint is I think the DAL blueprint of the 80s makes so much sense.

• Spend 1-2 years to build a solid OLine
  • Get the star WR, get him a year to figure out the NFL.
  • Then next year get the QB, who comes in with an experienced stud WR to work with.
  • Then next year get the RB, who has the shortest shelf-life and now you have your big-3.

We don't exactly have our Michael Irvin yet, nor do we have the OLine we need.  So one could approach things and say, fix that this year.  Maybe we could argue that we need to grab the QB now while we are in position to do so and fix the OL and WR at the same time.  But in either case, it feels too soon to add the RB, who should probably be the last piece you put in place.

I've come around in my thinking about the CBs. I think they might be content with who they have right now to run the zone they intend to run, with an emphasis on the pass rush to make it work. That's why I think Edge over CB, in addition to the fact that it looks like there'll be good value at the position at the end of the first round. 

As for Harris, he's a senior RB with a lot of mileage on him. I think he's a guy who you'd pick up the fifth year option, maybe franchise a year, then let him walk at 29 - and that's if he's everything you'd hoped he'd become!  I don't hate that, but I don't feel like that's how Joe Douglas wants to build his roster. 

35 minutes ago, slats said:

I've come around in my thinking about the CBs. I think they might be content with who they have right now to run the zone they intend to run, with an emphasis on the pass rush to make it work. That's why I think Edge over CB, in addition to the fact that it looks like there'll be good value at the position at the end of the first round. 

As for Harris, he's a senior RB with a lot of mileage on him. I think he's a guy who you'd pick up the fifth year option, maybe franchise a year, then let him walk at 29 - and that's if he's everything you'd hoped he'd become!  I don't hate that, but I don't feel like that's how Joe Douglas wants to build his roster. 

I think you're right. Based on the new system, like RB, I think they may add some CBs in the 3rd-5th rounds. People like Paulson Adebo or Trill Williams, or even Benjamin St Juste