Brian Costello "There is a feeling among people around the league that Douglas is a fan of Wilson while members of the new Jets coaching staff are advocating for keeping Darnold"

Jetsbb

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

If there is anybody who honestly thinks that after all the time JD and Saleh spent together before he was hired that they aren't on the same page regarding the QB decision, then I don't know what to tell you. JD would have never hired him, nor would Saleh ever have taken the job. Common sense fellas.

I imagine they were on the same page as far as the process to decide on a starting QB, but no way were they decided on the name of that QB back in January. It wouldn't shock me if this was the internal debate. Darnold had insane grades coming out. The coaches prefer him to a guy who's already had shoulder surgery, and had one big year against suspect competition? Shocker. Douglas prefers the phenom who'll be cap cheap for the next five years? Also not shocking. 

This sounds a lot like the educated guesses we've been being fed for awhile now. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, section314 said:

If there is anybody who honestly thinks that after all the time JD and Saleh spent together before he was hired that they aren't on the same page regarding the QB decision, then I don't know what to tell you. JD would have never hired him, nor would Saleh ever have taken the job. Common sense fellas.

Thats just speculation. People like to repeat this unfounded claim over and over.

Why would jd or saleh take such a passionate stand for or against darnold?

Rookie head coach doesnt call the shots

24 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Really a difficult decision, at this point I don’t even know what I want the Jets to do, and at this point I really don’t care as long as they get it right. Just get it right for once NYJ. Please. Thanks for your insight as always FG. 

It's tough cause keeping Sam allows likely for a good draft haul in a trade down to possibly build this team really well even for the 2021 season and have additional draft ammo in 2022 since any trade down would include high draft picks for then too. But, the QB contract situation becomes high priced very soon.

Or, taking Wilson (the odds on favorite at #2 no matter who picks there) and still having draft picks in round 1, 2, 3(2), 4, 5(2), and 6 this year to build for 2021 and the #2 waiver claim plus any other FAs that get cut loose. Then still 1 1st round draft picks and 9 overall I believe next year. While the QB contract situations stay good/low for 4 years.

Either situation can wind up good or bad. The latter with Wilson seems more applausable unless he totally busts out since it provides time to build the team and he can grow with that build. So can Darnold, but it is already common knowledge that he makes bad decisions at crucial times in games and that might not be fixable. Wilson at least may not do that and supposedly hasn't while he has been in college.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If you were a GM and and rookie HC and wanted to win roughly eight games next year, you’d stick with the 24 year old QB with three years of starting experience (while adding a freak receiver and some more OL in the draft) versus staying put and drafting a wee project QB who played nobody.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hope this is a smoke screen or saving face because I can’t imagine anyone is this stupid to not realize that Sam is trash and even if he was ok, the timing of his contract expiration alone makes him a lost cause. You can’t resign someone with as horrible of a first 3 years as him. 

'Ok' would be a improvement on what he's shown in three years. Say Sam goes 25 tds 13 ints next year, a fairly realistic prediction. Now after four years in the League, Sam has 70 tds, 52 ints.

Mitch Trubisky lost his starting job after 64 tds and 37 ints in four years, and will hold a clipboard on the sideline next year for $2.5 million a year. Minshew has a 3:1 td ratio and can't get a starting job. 

What kind of contract do the Jets expect to give Sam after three mediocre years and one ok version? And why would you even offer one, if the Bears didn't for Trubisky who had a better four year career? 

I trust Douglas is looking around the League and seeing the financial mess teams have found themselves in, after over-paying average QBs on their second contracts.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you were a GM and and rookie HC and wanted to win roughly eight games next year, you’d stick with the 24 year old QB with three years of starting experience (while adding a freak receiver and some more OL in the draft) versus staying put and drafting a wee project QB who played nobody.

He also looks like the neighbor from Married With Children, so there's that.

• Haha 2

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

'Ok' would be a improvement on what he's shown in three years. Say Sam goes 25 tds 13 ints next year, a fairly realistic prediction. Now after four years in the League, Sam has 70 tds, 52 ints.

Mitch Trubisky lost his starting job after 64 tds and 37 ints in four years, and will hold a clipboard on the sideline next year for $2.5 million a year. Minshew has a 3:1 td ratio and can't get a starting job. 

What kind of contract do the Jets expect to give Sam after three mediocre years and one ok version? And why would you even offer one, if the Bears didn't for Trubisky who had a better four year career? 

I trust Douglas is looking around the League and seeing the financial mess teams have found themselves in, after over-paying average QBs on their second contracts.

Everyone stating Douglas loves Draft picks but he as also stated how beautful  it is to have a Rookie QB contract ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Have they guessed each and every scenario yet?

We've had they "want to keep Darnold".

They want to "move on to Wilson".

Now, wait for it. a little bit of both.  "JD wants Wilson and coaching staff wants Darnold."

Hey, my logic says it would be the other way around for this one.  The people in the building who saw Sam in practice and games, if they weren't horrified, would want to stay with Sam and the coaches, without any loyalty would roll with a shiny new QB.  I just cant hint that I have inside info.  Just common sense and logic 

• Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

They were there to see Garoppolo lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and they think that caliber of player is a realistic floor for Darnold.

If they really think this then they're so stupid that frankly it doesn't matter who they draft

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

When Douglas came to the Jets he said in part it was because of Sam. Buyer beware with Zach. I question how he will be in locker room considering he was not voted as a captain by his teammates. Second is his health-shoulder. He is playing football. Third level of competition considering he had one good year. Sam on the other hand is well liked in the locker room, he has demonstrated leadership, physically and mentally he is strong. How will Zach handle New York if he starts off slow. NFL is lot faster than college.. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

It truly is fascinating. The coaches see Darnold as someone who is more talented than Garoppolo, and given how their scheme does a lot more to promote QB efficiency and clean play, they don't think Darnold is as big of a risk as the media/fans make him out to be. They were there to see Garoppolo lead the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and they think that caliber of player is a realistic floor for Darnold.

It really all comes down to the market for #2. I have no idea if Atlanta will be interested in moving up, Carolina executive acting coy about trading up, Denver interested in Darnold more so than making a big draft-day move, haven't heard anything about San Fran moving up/Jets moving outside the top 10, and I'd be shocked if they considered dealing a QB to New England, even though the front offices get along. 

I do think Carolina would trade if push comes to shove; not buying that they're passing up on QBs this year. The sleeper team is Philadelphia. They've done wild things before so can't rule them out entirely. 

It just seems obvious to me they should trade the 2, then grab a QB suited to be an insurance policy - but, otherwise give Sam a shot.