Brian Costello "There is a feeling among people around the league that Douglas is a fan of Wilson while members of the new Jets coaching staff are advocating for keeping Darnold"

Jetsbb

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

Do you think that Darnold's performance has a lot to do with the suckfest that was/is his supporting cast?

I definitely think it plays a part. However when evaluating his fundamentals (or lack thereof) and his still poor performance even when having a clean pocket I'm quite the skeptic. Especially with guys like Burrow facing similar issues of inadequate support. 

I believe that us giving him inadequate support, and him also being an inadequate QB aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Upvote 4

With accuracy of the leaks regarding the Jets’ free agency plans, the stories about league wide perceptions of what they are expected to do at hopefully the most important selection of Joe Douglas’ tenure should carry a lot of weight.
We’ll find out April 29 unless they move the pick before that. I’d be stunned if he’s tipped his hand this much by late March.
....unnamed.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

With that all the case

Why is the front office not ever (or barely ) being talked about considering drafting QB at 2

AND

Holding onto Darnold through at least part of 2021?

Qb is a giant questionmark

Why not take 2 chances at fixings it instead of 1

Are they that certain that Wilson is ready to come out right away & take the bumps along the way?

Let them fight it out in camp & hope the rookie wins

If it seems like he could use a little more time thenWe could ride Darnold at least for part of the season until we begin having to think about his pay day.

Will the 2nd round pick we get help will that much with us still already having 3 more in rounds 1&2?

I’d expect some team to get into a need situation during the year where we still could trade him for a 2nd in 2022

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
I dont hate this concept at all. I also dont hate taking 2 more QBs not just 1 until we hit on one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, JiF said:

My dudes, I'm trying to tell you, they're trading out and running it back with Sammy.  

BRACE YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!

Who cares, any option that doesnt involved the Jets handing a card to the podium with Justin Fields on it will leave you complaining 

So our GM when hired states that Sam is “untouchable”.

Fast forward to the end of the season and JD is noncommittal to Sam. The GM then leads a search for a coach and hires a guy from a team that we actually played against this year.

This same newly hired coach in not one interview commits to Sam being the QB of the NYJ moving forward and during the latest press conference with JD present, the GM said he “would listen to calls for Sam”. 

So now we’re supposed to believe that the coaching staff and GM are divided on keeping Sam? 

LMFAO ??

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, MykePM said:

Wouldn't a trade up to #2 to take Wilson potentially help Carolina's efforts to land Watson in the future, if they chose to go in that direction?  Wilson might be better than any of the QBs potentially coming out in next year's draft, so Houston might jump at the chance to get him, with some experience under his belt, as part of the return for Watson when the time comes to trade him.

Alternately, if Wilson looks like a potential superstar in his rookie season, the Panthers would be ecstatic and they could scrap their plans to trade for Watson.

Seems like a great way to hedge their bet on finding their franchise QB.

Not necessarily. For one, if you're willing to trade a player one year after drafting them, you're going to lose value. If Wilson came in and looked like a star his value would rise, but Carolina would forget about Watson as you mention. 

The second part: if they trade up for Wilson, what capital are they using to trade for Watson? The Jets won't move down past 6 absent a future 1st round pick and then some. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Listen to me now, believe me later on. The Jets will keep Sam Darnold AND draft a quarterback.  

Joe Douglas hates risk.

First round quarterback success is a coin flip, and a job killer for a GM, if the GM get’s it wrong.   Joe Douglas will draft a QB and keep Sam (without picking up the 5th year option).  Keeping Sam reduces risk for Joe and the coaching staff.  They can have a QB competition.  They can have Sam start.  They can ease a rookie QB in later in the year when scheme and system have been installed and the team is starting to gel.

Sam Darnold is a scheme fit and Joe Douglas loves one year deals.  There is no need to pick up Sam’s fifth year option, and he is an affordable veteran quarterback with upside.  Joe Douglas loves draft picks but a second or third round pick will not change the franchise, and Sam is cheap insurance for Joe. 

Saleh is a leader that can handle a QB circus, and make the right QB call at the right time, just as Flores did with Fitz and Tua in Miami last year. 

Sam can audition... Sam sees what kinds of deals first round busts have recently received.   Best case, he balls out and Jets have good problems to work through - pay him or transition to the rookie.   In all likelihood he’s average and the Jet’s move on with certainty that the investment has been fully evaluated, a rookie has had time to adjust to the NFL, and no regrets on sunk costs with Sam.

All of this reduced risk for price of a 2022 2nd or 3rd that has a less than 50% chance of yielding a serviceable starter.  Joe likes that math.

IMO, the most likely scenario, unless somebody blows JD away with an offer for the #2 pick that he can't refuse.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Not necessarily. For one, if you're willing to trade a player one year after drafting them, you're going to lose value. If Wilson came in and looked like a star his value would rise, but Carolina would forget about Watson as you mention. 

The second part: if they trade up for Wilson, what capital are they using to trade for Watson? The Jets won't move down past 6 absent a future 1st round pick and then some. 

Good points, as always.  I guess that Tua is a good example of your bolded point above.

If Carolina really wants a home run at the QB position, as has been described, I still think it would be risky to kick the can to next year.  Houston’s public stance has been that they want to keep Watson.  If that’s true, then the allegations against Watson give them more leverage than before, because he will potentially need a good deal of money to pay off settlements with 20+ women, and may be less prone to sit out if the Texans take a hardline stance with him.

If Watson doesn’t shake free by next year, the Panthers will likely be in worse shape to land a star QB, unless they regress and have a higher pick than #8 in the 2022 draft.  Even then, people have speculated that next year’s QB class won’t be as strong as this year’s.  I know that QBs can and often do rise up in the season before the draft, but it’s still a big gamble.

The next 5 weeks should be interesting...