Brian Costello "There is a feeling among people around the league that Douglas is a fan of Wilson while members of the new Jets coaching staff are advocating for keeping Darnold"

Jetsbb

14 minutes ago, doitny said:

wow there are so many of these post im losing track of them

there are so many i think we get the picture. everyone says draft Wilson ...trade Sam.

so how about we stop posting this stuff cause we heard it 1000 times already. its not news.

lets only post stuff that people say for us to keep Sam. because that would be news. i dont think there are any insiders or media guys left who think that.

or guys who say to not draft Wilson. cause that would be news too.

Lots of media guys say we should keep Sam

Mel kiper and Todd Mcshay both say it and they are draft guys.

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

All along I've thought it would be the Panthers. I know the Jets and Panthers were open about it early in the process... Joe is close with both Monti Ossenfort (a finalist for the GM job) and Scott Fitterer (who landed the job) and the Carolina guy basically told me it was part of their pitch that the Jets would be open to dealing the pick RE: plan to find a star QB. That jived with my Jets sources, who said it was 60-40 Darnold would return because the organization comprehended how a big-time trade could literally set the Jets on a course to be a sustainable winner for the first time in their history. 

Then Carolina became the runner-up for Stafford and was the team that wanted to go all-in on Deshaun, which I spoke about on here about a month before they were even reported as a suitor. Knowing that he wasn't getting traded, that fueled my belief Carolina would go all-in for the #2 pick. I've felt that all along until this past weekend where people were like, "everyone loves Wilson but they may not be willing to pay the price"... then today my Carolina guy literally saying they may not even go QB all together and wait for Watson or take Fields. Just has my mind in a pretzel. 

What I do know is that if Joe makes Sam truly available, they'll get offers immediately. So if they don't get what they feel is fair market value for #2 in early talks, I think they will for Darnold. Where it really becomes fascinating is if neither garnish FMV. If they get a massive offer for #2 they'll take it and if they get a great deal for Darnold they'll take it; but what happens if they don't get great value for both? Too much to think about... 

see i have a problem with this....we will trade the pick if we get a good deal.

i feel we are letting other teams decide who our QB is.

so the Jets are fine if we Draft Wilson, but are equally fine if we let him go to another team? if you like the kid then be all in on him.

same with Sam.

so JD and Saleh dont have a plan. there QB is who Carolina tells us he is right? cause you said there probably the only team that would trade for 2OA. 

hey maybe i can be the QB next year. if Carolina trades for 2OA and they get a good trade offer for Sam the Jets will have an opening. i better start working out.

i guess we will wait to see the next time you talk to your friend in Carolina. he seams to be the real GM of the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

see i have a problem with this....we will trade the pick if we get a good deal.

i feel we are letting other teams decide who our QB is.

so the Jets are fine if we Draft Wilson, but are equally fine if we let him go to another team? if you like the kid then be all in on him.

same with Sam.

so JD and Saleh dont have a plan. there QB is who Carolina tells us he is right? cause you said there probably the only team that would trade for 2OA. 

hey maybe i can be the QB next year. if Carolina trades for 2OA and they get a good trade offer for Sam the Jets will have an opening. i better start working out.

i guess we will wait to see the next time you talk to your friend in Carolina. he seams to be the real GM of the Jets. 

I can't with the there's 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NYJets8 said:

Yeah we’ll see about that lol

We will see about what? They both said it on their podcast 3 days ago. They said it's not what the jets might do but both believe it would be the best option for the jets. Mel said on ESPN yesterday that Darnold is better than wilson fields and lance only putting trevor ahead of him. 

20 minutes ago, NYJets8 said:

We need a quarterback.

We need a QB

We need a good TE

We need one or two CBS

We need at least 2 olinemen

We need a WR

We need another RB

We need a LB

Stick any QB you chose on the team the Jets had last year and they fall flat on their ass.

If we want to actually win something you need much more than a QB.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Lots of media guys say we should keep Sam

Mel kiper and Todd Mcshay both say it and they are draft guys.

Have u seen their Qb rankings over the years ! Of course they want us to keep sam . Sam failing makes kiper look bad 

• Upvote 1

Some want  the NY Jets to keep him and get a draft day haul with all the picks.(No need to spend the #2 pick on a QB) 

Some want the NY Jets to dump him and select a QB with the #2 pick. 

Some want the NY Jets to trade him and sign a stop gap free agent and get a draft day haul with all the picks. 

Some want the NY Jets to trade him and sign a veteran QB free agent and get a draft day haul with all the picks. 

Some want the NY Jets to trade for a decent QB and get a draft day haul with all the picks. 

Some don't know what they want the NY Jets to do. 

Some don't care what the NY Jets do. 

Some just want this to be over. 

Did I miss anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

Have u seen their Qb rankings over the years ! Of course they want us to keep sam . Sam failing makes kiper look bad 

Mel and Todd evaluate 300 players a year of course they are going to make mistakes, jets fans should know better than anyone how hard it is to evaluate draft talent we haven't been able to do it in years.

Look when sam is traded I hope for our sake it to a crap franchise because if he ends up in SF or denver where they give a QB the opportunity to succeed by surrounding them with talent the jets could end up with egg on their faces once again.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to keeping Darnold another year, given that they can net a hAuL for the #2 pick. I just feel what this kid really needs is to sit for a year and reset his brain and he's just not going to get that opportunity here. I just can't envision a scenario where Darnold is successful here next season, and then all that does is leave us on the hunt for a QB next year.

3 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Mel and Todd evaluate 300 players a year of course they are going to make mistakes, jets fans should know better than anyone how hard it is to evaluate draft talent we haven't been able to do it in years.

Look when sam is traded I hope for our sake it to a crap franchise because if he ends up in SF or denver where they give a QB the opportunity to succeed by surrounding them with talent the jets could end up with egg on their faces once again.

Could be a Brees and Rivers situation 

54 minutes ago, doitny said:

everybody has. 

Mel Kiper just did...Keyshawn a little while ago. nobody in the media think Sam should stay

We must watch different sports shows. Even Kiper thinks the Jets should keep Darnold. He has Wilson going to the Jets at 2 because that is what he *thinks* they are going to do.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Just a hunch but I think Lance is the guy they love. They had Rhule, Fitterer and Brady standing right behind Lance at his pro day. None of those guys went to Alabama. 

I'm sure they will have a presence at BYU tomorrow, but I think Carolina are comfortable with Lance or Fields, 

That's kind of why I feel like I'm being played too. Way back in January Lance was apparently the guy they loved. Then it was Jones after the senior bowl. Now it's none or Fields? Don't buy it. 

Only reason why they would pass on a QB this year is because they're going to swing for Deshaun once the lawsuits settle 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Jets backup QBs in the 9 games Darnold has missed as a pro: 0-10. 

Coaches don't look at numbers, and while they do look at film they view it through a different lens than fans do. Fans look at film with production in mind, whereas coaches take everything into context: process, personnel, coaching, and playcalling. 

If you removed context from the Super Bowl and evaluated Mahomes game in a vacuum - didn't know who the player was, didn't know the teams, didn't know the importance of the game - it would feel a lot like how it has felt watching Darnold: lots of pass protection breakdowns, some dumb playcalling, some drops, lack of consistent separation, poor decisions, and then some "how the hell did he do that" throws.

I'm not comparing Darnold to Mahomes, but I am saying that you need to consider the context surrounding Darnold's play to accurately evaluate him. What was the coaching like? How did the scheme fit or not fit his skill set? How did mono affect him? How did the pandemic affect him? Did the coaching staff/players put him in the best position to succeed?

I get it, us as fans want to look at stats and comparables and use them as predictables for players. There is no comparison to Darnold in NFL history. The coaches and executives all believe he's going to figure it out. People in other organizations believe he's going to figure it out. Reputable analysts think he's going to figure it out. There's a reason, and it has very little to do with stats; it's context, coachability, and his raw talent. It really comes down to who offers what at this point, and which offer maximizes roster value. 

Thst has more to do with the fact that most backup Qbs stink then Darnold being so valuable..

Who are all these people inside the league or around it that love Darnold?

The only two people I’ve heard bang the drums for Sam are Dan Orlovsky who praises everyone and Mel Kiper JR who’s washed up..

In a perfect situation if the team is loaded can Sam play ok? Probably but I want better then that.

Sam has been thrown into a bad situation no doubt but he’s still making the same dumb reads three years in.. he’s still bad on the deep ball.. 

Id rather take a chance on Wilson being great then Sam hopefully being a top 15-20 QB one day if the situation is perfect.

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wait, didn’t they already answer calls for Darnold, get a few offers they didn’t love so those teams withdrew from negotiations & went a different route? (CAR, WSH)

They haven't made him available. They'll just listen to what teams have to offer. Washington made an offer but wasn't good enough to make the Jets trade him ahead of their schedule. There was no counter-offer

Just now, RogerVick1980 said:

Thst has more to do with the fact that most backup Qbs stink then Darnold being so valuable..

Who are all these people inside the league or around it that love Darnold?

The only two people I’ve heard bang the drums for Sam are Dan Orlovsky who praises everyone and Mel Kiper JR who’s washed up..

In a perfect situation if the team is loaded can Sam play ok? Probably but I want better then that.

Sam has been thrown into a bad situation no doubt but he’s still making the same dumb reads three years in.. he’s still bad on the deep ball.. 

Id rather take a chance on Wilson being great then Sam hopefully being a top 15-20 QB one day if the situation is perfect.

Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, Brian Baldinger, Troy Aikman, Louis Riddick, Tony Romo are just a few of the "analysts". 

Virtually every coach/personnel exec in the NFL has some level of respect for Darnold's abilities. Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Brandon Staley, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, Brian Daboll, Ken Dorsey, Gary Kubiak, Kevin Stefanski, John Elway, Chris Ballard, the entire Jets coaching staff are all bullish on him... the list goes on.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We need a QB

We need a good TE

We need one or two CBS

We need at least 2 olinemen

We need a WR

We need another RB

We need a LB

Stick any QB you chose on the team the Jets had last year and they fall flat on their ass.

If we want to actually win something you need much more than a QB.

This is still a rebuild what makes people think we were gonna fix every hole and be a complete team by this year?

QB is by far the most important position.. IF the Jets love Wilson you don’t pass that up..

We I’ve enough draft assets and cap space for the  next year that will be able to improve the team going forward as well..

The idea we can take a QB if we think he’s a franchise  QB because we must feel every hole this year is foolish.

Were not winning a super bowl this year regardless..

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, Brian Baldinger, Troy Aikman, Louis Riddick, Tony Romo are just a few of the "analysts". 

Virtually every coach/personnel exec in the NFL has some level of respect for Darnold's abilities. Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Brandon Staley, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick, Brian Daboll, Ken Dorsey, Gary Kubiak, Kevin Stefanski, John Elway, Chris Ballard, the entire Jets coaching staff are all bullish on him... the list goes on.

Yeah but Chris Hogan and Josh Malone — how do you not excel with those studs at WR?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I haven’t heard this from most of those guys but if you say this is true then surely if we trade Sam we should get a kings ransom since he’s supposedly so highly thought of..

a 23 year old QB everyone loves is not going for a mid round pick.

If that’s all we get for Sam then clearly you overblew how the league thinks of him 

• Upvote 1