Breer On Draft Class (OL & WR)

KRL

I think the reality is that JD will take the best player at 23 and 34 on his board, with a possible overweight to OL, and limiting those positions to OL, CB, WR and maybe RB.  

I think if JD has his way he would be looking for RT, CB and WR at 23 and 34 and only start looking for G in the third round and lower.  

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2 of the 9 picks were OL (22 percent of the picks we had), and was the only position where multiple picks were spent.  I know, we should have drafted AT LEAST 5 more!

Probably should've drafted more than 1 that could play right away. Especially after whiffing completely in FA, just like this year.  The other guy wasn't even active most games.  The Jets need to utilize a couple of premium picks this year to stabilize this offensive line. No more project guys from Charlotte like Clark. JD needs to put his money where his mouth is. To this point he has failed at what he said was his biggest priority which was building a good offensive line.  

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Probably why JD signed 4 free agents last year, drafted a developmental guard and an LT with the first over-all pick.

You can only do so much in a year when the last 7 drafts virtually ignored the 2nd most important position in today's NFL.

It hasn't been a year. It's been two free agency periods and not a single worthwhile player has been signed in free agency, despite the recent  rare opportunities where they have been available and we have had cap space to spare. I've never been a fan of building that way, but the circumstances have been right (player availability market boosted by a pandemic) to put pieces in place to protect whoever is the QB. And only drafting one guy is not good enough. The entire line needs a rebuild. It should be a mix of picks and able vets. Not the trash that's been run out there year after year. The o line should be the primary focus. Before any other unit. Not D line, not linebacker, not the secondary, receivers or running backs. IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT. And it is our biggest weaknesss. Still.

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I think we should draft a center high (2nd) and move McGovern over. You have no idea how good Clark is yet. It seems as though they didn't want to throw him to the wolves without bringing him along first.

We also have no idea how bad Clark is. If he was anything special, there wouldn't be that hesitation. The odds are extremely high that he's just another nobody.